ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting (1 Schollie Available): JBo back. Filip Rebraca, Riley Mulvey & Payton Sandfort have Signed

JBO coming back?
its possible, for several reasons

* NIL--he is a leader in the push for this
* Iowa needs 3 point shooters

also, he is #9 on the All Time Scoring List at 1,638. He could become just the 3rd Iowa player to reach 2,000 points. Granted, he has played in an already Iowa record 143 games so if he stayed healthy, he would reach at least 174 games played

And he'd also become the B1G All Time Leader in 3's made; he currently is at 364

Last edited:
Iowa needs a scoring guard with experience more than another big now. With PMac and both Murrays at 6'9", Rebraca and Big O at 6'10", and Mulvey at 6'11", Iowa is set there. Iowa has 2 PGs, and Perkins, CMac and Sandfort. Adding a scoring guard would really round out the team.

Yeah, I agree. We need to pluck a shooting guard from the portal potty, and soon.

• Haha
Reactions: longliveCS40
JBO coming back?
That would be fantastic if he were playing shooting guard. You might get someone as talented as he is from the portal but that person would not already know the system and the players here.

I'd feel pretty great about the team next year if JBo came back in place of where we thought CJF was going to be.

APRIL 22, 2021 UPDATE:

With the Filip Rebraca & CJ Fredrick news (he gone), we now have ONE opening for next season IF NO ONE ELSE (Weezy!) leaves early.

2021-2022 Roster (12 on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

Freshmen: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

Sophomores: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

Juniors: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca (this includes the the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given)

Seniors: 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****); announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

October 4, 2020 UPDATE & Where things stand

For the 2021 Class, Iowa had 2 scholarships available (to replace Garza and JBo). If Weezy leaves, that number could increase to 3.

Payton took one of those 2 (or 3) scholarships.

Here are the 8 Players Iowa has offered for 2021 where the player is still UNDECIDED. Do we land one of these 8? Or is Iowa done?

Andrew Morgan
Not Rated, 6'9" PF, 230, Waseca MN
6 offers

Chet Holmgren
5 Star, 7'0", C, 190, Minneapolis, MN
32 offers

Micawber Etienne
4 Star, C, 6'10", 220, Wolfeboro, NH
12 offers

Hunter Sallis
5 Star, PG, 6'5", 175, Omaha, NE
31 offers

Lynn Greer III
3 Star, PG, 6'1", 165, Bradenton, FL
13 offers

Blake Wesley
4 Star, SG, 6'5", 180, South Bend, IN
14 offers

Bryce Hopkins
4 Star, SF, 6'6", 210, Oak Park, IL
16 offers

Daniel Nixon
3 Star, SF, 6'7", 215, Winston-Salem, NC
18 offers

ORIGINAL POST

Here is some info on Trey James and Kuluel Mading.

Some video of Kuluel:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13662861/Kuluel-Mading

With J Bo returning and not being counted towards the limit, that means EJ Onu perhaps fills the remaining one?

With J Bo returning and not being counted towards the limit, that means EJ Onu perhaps fills the remaining one?

Until JBo says what he is doing, this is the roster as I type.

However, with Weezy expected to leave, that would make 2 scholarships available, which could go to JBo and someone else from the portal potty.

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca (this includes the the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****)

Reactions: BBHawk
That would be fantastic if he were playing shooting guard. You might get someone as talented as he is from the portal but that person would not already know the system and the players here.

I'd feel pretty great about the team next year if JBo came back in place of where we thought CJF was going to be.
He still has to stay in front of someone on defense, whether it's a 1 or a 2, it's a problem. It has to be spot duty, end of games for free throws, type stuff

He still has to stay in front of someone on defense, whether it's a 1 or a 2, it's a problem. It has to be spot duty, end of games for free throws, type stuff
Certainly a bit of a liability on defense but with the upgrade in athleticism at the other guard/forward positions I think it would be ok. Those guys would be able to play help defense a bit better than what we had this year.

Assuming he's hitting threes at a good clip, JBo's offensive contribution outweighs his defensive shortcomings in my opinion.

Until JBo says what he is doing, this is the roster as I type.

However, with Weezy expected to leave, that would make 2 scholarships available, which could go to JBo and someone else from the portal potty.

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****)
Weezy likely to leave ?

APRIL 26, 2021 UPDATE:

With the Bohannon announcement and the Filip Rebraca & CJ Fredrick news (he gone), we now have ONE opening for next season IF NO ONE ELSE (Weezy!) leaves early.

Here's a summary (and some history) of how we got to this year's roster.

Note: Weezy likely falls out, as we all know. But that appears to be the final piece to the puzzle because it looks like Fran is done in the transfer portal.

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. Bohannon decided to do so. So, anyone listed below (with the exception of Bohannon and Filip Rebraca) as SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS OR SENIORS, could potentially play a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

SOPHOMORES: 6 players

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca; on April 22, 2021, Filip, who was a Junior at that time, announced he was transferring from North Dakota to Iowa. Filip played 3 years at ND but will have 2 years eligibility remaining at Iowa due to the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given.

SENIORS : 3 players

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); was originally scheduled to graduate in 2020; had surgery on his right hip in May 2019; appeared in only 10 games in 2019; on December 19, 2019 he underwent surgery on his left hip (6-9 month recovery period); applied for a medical hardship and for one more year of eligibility. On May 12, 2020, Jordan was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver). On April 26, 2021, Jordan announced that he was returning to Iowa for a sixth season (the 2020-2021 season was ruled a "free year" by the NCAA due to covid-19 uncertainties; in March, 2021, Jordan had planned on being done. Instead, he had a change of heart & decided to come back for ONE FINAL YEAR).

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****); announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Here's a summary (and some history) of how we got to this year's roster.
With CJ transferring, Luka moving on, Joe W. likely gone, and Jack transferring, I thought "Oh,No". But, after looking how things are playing out here, I have re-assessed my outlook. I think we could have a really good team with what Fran has added. I'm not going to venture any predictions, and I'll be excited to see the newbies develop and play along side our 2020-21 team that remains, (glad to see JBo coming back). Should be fun, especially if the chemistry is good. If we stay healthy, it might be interesting down the stretch.

With CJ transferring, Luka moving on, Joe W. likely gone, and Jack transferring, I thought "Oh,No". But, after looking how things are playing out here, I have re-assessed my outlook. I think we could have a really good team with what Fran has added. I'm not going to venture any predictions, and I'll be excited to see the newbies develop and play along side our 2020-21 team that remains, (glad to see JBo coming back). Should be fun, especially if the chemistry is good. If we stay healthy, it might be interesting down the stretch.

by February, this team could be clicking on all cylinders and the term "Fran fade" will be a distant memory! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT