ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

UptownHawk

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2002
Starting a new thread for the 21 softball season now that it has finally been released.

The schedule and Graham Hayes' Big Ten predictions are in the articles below.

Projected standings
1. Minnesota
2. Northwestern
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Iowa
6. Wisconsin
7. Nebraska
8. Ohio State
9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Penn State
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers
14. Michigan State

Uptown, thanks for posting the above articles. Also, I emailed the Spring Games. Their answer was that the Big Ten games are closed to families only. They feel that means the fans are limited to the four tickets given to each player only. Mentioned the Director of Operations would be the final say on the matter. Hopefully this makes sense.

Starting a new thread for the 21 softball season now that it has finally been released.

The schedule and Graham Hayes' Big Ten predictions are in the articles below.

Projected standings
1. Minnesota
2. Northwestern
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Iowa
6. Wisconsin
7. Nebraska
8. Ohio State
9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Penn State
12. Maryland
13. Rutgers
14. Michigan State
I signed up for BIG Ten + so I could watch softball, will they stream the first two weekends, I really don’t want to pay for FLO too.

Bummer. Was hoping to make a couple days down in Florida.
I should have said that per the article no fans will be allowed at *home* games at this time. I don't know about the Florida situations; though given the B10's conservatism regarding covid, I'd think it's not likely fans will be allowed at those venues either.

In contrast, UNI is letting fans in for their tournament in the Dome this week, subject to masks and distancing.

Reactions: MossHawk6
Coach was on the In The Circle podcast. Spoke of the schedule, impact freshman (expects 3 or 4 to start), pitching.

Row55 said:
"No fans allowed at this time..." :(

@MossHawk6 - I sent a direct message to the Spring Games on Twitter. They said if schools do not use their allotment then they (Spring Games) may be able to sell tickets. They said to check back closer (thinking about weekend #2). Might be worth checking in with them if you were considering a trip. Probably a wild goose chase, but thought I'd let you know what they communicated to me.

@MossHawk6 - I sent a direct message to the Spring Games on Twitter. They said if schools do not use their allotment then they (Spring Games) may be able to sell tickets. They said to check back closer (thinking about weekend #2). Might be worth checking in with them if you were considering a trip. Probably a wild goose chase, but thought I'd let you know what they communicated to me.
Thanks for the info! We will be down there the 2nd weekend anyways, so I will check once it gets closer. We asked the staff about getting some tickets, but I'm sure it would break the no contact rules during the dead period.

Maybe this way will be a work around?

Lehman getting the start today vs OSU. Lots of new names in the lineup, Bogar sitting. Looks like no live stats.

Last edited:
I think the total roster was 16 in Loopers 1st or 2nd season. That was when Kayla Massey started batting, we needed hitters :)

Per Twitter, OSU 3, Iowa 2 through 6th.

Now final, 3-2 OSU in game 1

Last edited:
Hawks lose a tough one.
Lehman pitched and only gave up 4 hits, but one was a 3 run HR.

Carter had a lead off triple in the 6th. Banes hit a line drive to left. There wasn’t going to be a play at home, but Carter called out for leaving early.
No Bogar, Rocco, or Doocy so far. Shaw to pitch game two.

hawks rally to win game two 4-3. Carter with a 2rbi single in the bottom of the 7th.
It looked like Doocy is there (atleast someone with #3).

Last edited:
@Fair Child 12 strikeouts for Michigan's Beaubien. I didn't count swinging verses looking but was a mix of both.
Michigan scored both runs on a HBP, sac and single.
Loecker and Klosterman with Iowa's two hits.

Michigan staff had 35 strikeouts yesterday. Their next pitcher had 10+ yesterday.

Doocy struck out 5. Loecker pitching next game

@Fair Child 12 strikeouts for Michigan's Beaubien. I didn't count swinging verses looking but was a mix of both.
Michigan scored both runs on a HBP, sac and single.
Loecker and Klosterman with Iowa's two hits.

Michigan staff had 35 strikeouts yesterday. Their next pitcher had 10+ yesterday.

Doocy struck out 5. Loecker pitching next game

The schedule is really tough to start the season. Hawkeyes looking good even if their record isn't and won't be after today.

Hawks lose 6-5. Trailing 6-1 Michigan pulled their ace pitcher. Iowa got a hit and three walks to score a run. The starter came back in and we got two hits, but had a base running error to end the game with an out at second with a runner at third. Hawks had 10 strikeouts (6 looking)

Hawks lose 6-5. Trailing 6-1 Michigan pulled their ace pitcher. Iowa got a hit and three walks to score a run. The starter came back in and we got two hits, but had a base running error to end the game with an out at second with a runner at third. Hawks had 10 strikeouts (6 looking)
Glad to see they had some fight in ‘em!

Hamilton at SS for today's games. Lehman and Doocy pitching.

Hawks won game 1 6-1 over MSU.

Hawks down 1-0 going into the 7th Only 2 hits. Frustrating game
Dooley isn’t herself, or has she regressed? Defense looks slower than last year, and hitting is non existent. Not impressed so far. Did coach run off her best players?

Well trying to keep it positive. I think that there a lot of key pieces that we do need to be successful. Our pitching only gave up two runs today. We are playing a lot of young players. I believe things will come around.

Well, Cam Cecil transferred out(to as school back home in Cal. IIRC), and Abby Lein is no longer here, and they were good enough to start at one time. Be interesting to learn why the only catcher on the roster (Rocco) didn't catch this weekend, could just be a health issue of course.

Coach Gillispie was not pleased in 2019 when Iowa was the last team into the Big 10 tournament and the first out, and said "that will never happen again". This may be her way of communicating that to the roster.

The camera angles were not great on BTN+ so at times it was a little hard to get a complete picture of how hard balls were hit, if a play should have been made, etc. It seemed like Doocy was throwing well. Unfortunately, the offense laid goose eggs in both of the games she pitched. The run she gave up against MSU was off a solid single, a long at bat ending in a walk and a flair on the RF line. It appeared a better throw home could have gotten the runner. Against Michigan both were off a HBP, sac and a single. Michigan played small ball perfectly.

I'm not connected to the team so I don't know the circumstances of why players left, but it appeared we missed Ruther this weekend especially her offense. As Row55 said, Cam Cecil and Abby Lien would contribute too. To me Cecil appeared as if she had a lot of ability on offence but never consistently was in the line up. I'm curious if they left on their own or were nudged.

The top half of the line up was, for the most part, stronger than in the past, but six-eight struggled. Banes hit the ball hard, but right at people. Loecker and Diaz collected multiple hits.

There was team photo on Instagram with 18 players. Claypool, Bogar, Rocco, Erin Carter were not there. Not sure why, but all would have added some experience and might have produced some offense. Coach mentioned Claypool and Bogar as starters or fighting for a starting spot in the podcast I listened too so I assume they will be on the next trip.

Overall, the defense did not appear to be as tight as I had hoped. The offense showed a few signs of optimism with younger players, but overall too inconsistent. Pitching was good. Lehman had two good games. However, all the games were generally low scoring. We had three running errors that hurt and either could not get bunts down or did not attempt to bunt to move runners (example, verses Michigan down 1-0 we get a lead off double but didn't attempt to bunt and move the runner).

I created a new thread for scores and standings since it is getting lost in the middle of this one.

Hoping for a better weekend in two weeks verses 0-6 PSU and a Maryland team with good pitching.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
I was looking through the last few years of rosters and Ruther was not listed anywhere, unlike Cecil & Lien. I've occasionally noticed that at other schools, when a player left under less than amicable circumstances. I have no info to that effect, however, and it could be just an omission by whoever maintains the website.

Looking at the Ultimate College Softball board, someone posted that Purdue left 8 players at home. Wondering if there was a conference-imposed limit on rosters for these pod weekends. Also wondering why there were no live Gametrackers on the website. I see box scores are now available.

Last edited:
I was looking through the last few years of rosters and Ruther was not listed anywhere, unlike Cecil & Lien. I've occasionally noticed that at other schools, when a player left under less than amicable circumstances. I have no info to that effect, however, and it could be just an omission by whoever maintains the website.

Looking at the Ultimate College Softball board, someone posted that Purdue left 8 players at home. Wondering if there was a conference-imposed limit on rosters for these pod weekends. Also wondering why there were no live Gametrackers on the website. I see box scores are now available.
Ruther left on her own. Sounds like she had some academic opportunities that she wanted to pursue and didn't want to pass them up, with the possibility of covid ruining the season anyways. It's my understanding that it was her choice, and not the staffs.

Reactions: UptownHawk

Covid possibly? It is the reason for absences on some teams.

Covid possibly? It is the reason for absences on some teams.
Could be, certainly. These days, it seems that injury/illness issues for FB & MBB are generally announced publicly, but not always with other sports. We'll see next week if the whole roster makes the trip.

Weather looks good for softball in Florida this weekend.

Penn State (3 game series March 11/12)

0-6 after getting swept by Purdue, NWestern and Wisconsin
Team batting average of .178 with two hitters above .300 (Crouthamel .313 and Fey .300)
Team ERA of 4.35 (Perschell 3.63 in 17.1 Innings, Oatley 2.79 in 9.2 Innings and Lingenfelter 1.29 in 7 innings)

Iowa needs a sweep here or at least winning 2 of 3.

Maryland (3 game series March 13/14)

3-3 after splitting with Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin.
They appear to have a tough pitching staff without a lot of offense. 4 of the 6 games have been extra innings as they have only given up 6 runs in regulation (Big 10 is using the international tie breaker format for EI where they have given up more runs)

Team Batting Average .222 with two hitters above .300( McFarland .421 and Campbell .400)

Team ERA 1.56
(Schloetterback .62 ERA in 22.1 innings, Bran 2.44 ERA in 14.1 Innings and Wynche 1.4 ERA in five innings).

Could be a long series if Iowa cannot find any offense.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT