ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Roster (Connor is Back): 11 on Scholarship, 2 Scholarships Remain, 4 Walk Ons

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
What are your thoughts on the current 11 scholarship roster?

It looks like if Fran lands a decent big we are good to go.

2022-2023 Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 Scholarships Available):

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

2024 (when scheduled to graduate): 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery

4 Notable Walk On Players:

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

2024 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)--has played 2 years (through 2022) in college, first at William Penn & then Kirkwood CC; a 5'9"combo guard; on May 5, 2022, it was announced that he would be joining the Iowa roster as a walk on.

Last edited:
PG and C are a must. SG would be nice for depth. I would settle for a C and two combo guards as long as they can dribble penetrate

Two things.

I don't think Shaw is likely or even a possibility, I am hoping for Aimac, however.

Second, I think they get two in the portal, a big (holding my breath for Aimac) and a wing/guard, hopefully either a freak athlete or a shooter.

Reactions: Franisdaman
So what are the odds that Laketa gets a scholarship?
Hopefully low. We already have Perkins locked into the starting 2, Connor who can play the 2, and Ulis/Bowen both have the size to defend the 2. Not to mention an outside chance that Dix logs spot minutes this year. Maybe even a chance that Sandfort could defend some 2’s depending on the lineup

Iowa needs 1. An athletic and experienced PG and 2. An athletic big man who can get on the boards. 2-4 should be covered if they can fill those holes

PG and C are a must. SG would be nice for depth. I would settle for a C and two combo guards as long as they can dribble penetrate

Regarding the 2 freshmen, both guards:

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen -- will be be ready to contribute?

6'5" SG Josh Dix --depending on how he is healing, Fran might not be able to play him.

So, we have 10 on scholarship, but how many can Fran trust playing?

I will probably be wrong, but I have a hunch Connor will come back based on our current roster situation.

Reactions: sm_hawkeye
We look like a bubble team that would get bounced in round 1 or 2 again. Now if we get some talent from the portal I’ll be changing my tune

Regarding the 2 freshmen, both guards:

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen -- will be be ready to contribute?

6'5" SG Josh Dix --depending on how he is healing, Fran might not be able to play him.

So, we have 10 on scholarship, but how many can Fran trust playing?

I will probably be wrong, but I have a hunch Connor will come back based on our current roster situation.
Connor should come back. He can back up the point if we don't get another PG in the portal. I know we have Bowen coming in but we don't have a ton of depth.

Big is certainly more pressing need. Kris can play the 3-5 but again no depth and no true BIG ready C. Mulvey might improve. I would take a C and PF if we can't get a G and Connor comes back.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Two things.

I don't think Shaw is likely or even a possibility, I am hoping for Aimac, however.

Second, I think they get two in the portal, a big (holding my breath for Aimac) and a wing/guard, hopefully either a freak athlete or a shooter.
This is the most likely scenario/wish list. I see folks clamoring for a PG. I mean, if Remy Martin says he wants to come to Iowa I'm all for it. But it's likely Fran is thinking Bowen and Ulis in some 25-15 minute split next year there. Bowen did not come to Iowa to sit.

There is ready playing time for a good big and a good guard could see time. The issue is the good guards want to go where they can play a lot, not some.

Reactions: SB_SB
A reminder on Connor:

He announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he would play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; he ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing 2 games due to a sprained ankle, 8 contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he would have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

As of today, Connor had not yet announced if he would be using his FREE Covid year for the 2022-2023 season.

thanks for that.

it will be interesting to see what Fran does with the 3 scholarships.

I wouldn't expect him to tie them up long term as the 2023 class has some talent that we're in on and we need to have scholarships available.

Now, if Fardaws Aimaq is a one and done (portal) guy then that would be good for the 2023 class as Connor/Rebraca and then Aimaq and possibly Kris Murray leave after next year then Fran can get a big haul in 2023 and 2024 where we sit good with some guys.

I expect Connor and a big man from portal and that's it. Maybe give Kingsbury and/or Laketa a one year ride.

I wouldn't expect him to tie them up long term as the 2023 class has some talent that we're in on and we need to have scholarships available.

Now, if Fardaws Aimaq is a one and done (portal) guy then that would be good for the 2023 class as Connor/Rebraca and then Aimaq and possibly Kris Murray leave after next year then Fran can get a big haul in 2023 and 2024 where we sit good with some guys.

I expect Connor and a big man from portal and that's it. Maybe give Kingsbury and/or Laketa a one year ride.

IIRC, once Fran gives out a scholarship, the player stays on scholarship, so not sure about giving one to Carter or Luc.

Yeah, 2023 could be a REALLY good class. I think these 2 will be part of the foundation:

Two things.

at minimum I think we need to add a big and an athletic, scoring 2 guard.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
IIRC, once Fran gives out a scholarship, the player stays on scholarship, so not sure about giving one to Carter or Luc.

Yeah, 2023 could be a REALLY good class. I think these 2 will be part of the foundation:

Not true.

He's given walk-ons 1 year rides before when they had an unused scholarship for that season.

at minimum I think we need to add a big and an athletic, scoring 2 guard.
This is exactly what I am thinking.

I am hoping the big would be an instant impact guy, potentially a starter. Maybe a 1- or 2-year rental. The guard would more likely be someone who adds depth, and could provide a 3-point threat.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Do you really think FA is going to come to Iowa? I don’t. Fran can’t close when the blue bloods are involved in going after these players. Fran should focus on the Iona player, Shaw from KC, or Shaw should reach out to Iowa if he is interested in playing in Fran’s offense, and a guard or two in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: 2432Hawk
Posted this in the Transfer Portal thread on the Lounge. Seems that no one (including myself) caught this article from a week ago stating that Iowa has reached out to 6'9 Stanford transfer Jaiden Delaire:

Posted this in the Transfer Portal thread on the Lounge. Seems that no one (including myself) caught this article from a week ago stating that Iowa has reached out to 6'9 Stanford transfer Jaiden Delaire:

Interesting former 4 star prospect. He would have just one year left, correct?

His stats from last season:
32 GP
24 min/game

10.1 ppg
4.0 reb/game
1.1 assists/game
.4 blocks/game
.6 steals/game

43% FG
32% from 3
66% FTs

Seems like a really smart kid, too.

His 18 offers included:
Stanford
Columbia
Yale
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn
Providence
Pittsburgh
Kansas State
USC
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Towson
South Florida
Rider
UMass
IONA
Hofstra

Reactions: Lumas Etima
Good story from HawkCentral.

Some excerpts:

Josh Dix and Dasonte Bowen are coming in at the guard position next season, and junior forward Owen Freeman will head to Iowa City the season after.

With the conclusion of both the Hawkeyes’ season and those three players high school seasons, let’s look at how Iowa men’s basketball commits performed in 2021-22.

Josh Dix​

Senior | Combo guard | Council Bluffs Lincoln

It wasn’t the easiest senior season for Dix, who broke his tibia and fibula in late January. He played just 12 games in his last year of high school, but that was enough for Dix to still make the Des Moines Register’s All-Iowa Class 4A first team. He led the Lynx to a 10-2 record before his injury; Council Bluffs Lincoln finished with a 15-6 record overall.

2021-22 stats: 19.9 points, 7.8 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.5 blocks per game

Dasonte Bowen​

Senior | Point guard | Brewster Academy (New Hampshire)

Bowen and Dix have the potential to be a solid backcourt pairing, and Bowen has already proven he can be successful at the elite prep level. He helped juggernaut program Brewster Academy to the NEPSAC Class AAA championship and a 31-8 overall record this season. His performance earned him a selection to the All-NEPSAC Class AAA first team.

2021-22 stats: 13.1 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game

Owen Freeman​

Junior | Power forward | Bradley-Bourbonnais (Illinois)

The Hawkeyes already secured a commitment in the 2023 class from Freeman, and Iowa is getting a solid all-around player from Illinois. He led the Boilers to their first-ever Red Division Conference championship with an 8-0 record and helped Bradley-Bourbonnais to its best record (23-8) in the past 20-plus seasons. Freeman was unanimously named Red Division Player of the Year and First Team All-State after averaging a double-double as a junior.

2021-22 stats: 17.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game

I hope I am wrong but I don’t have a lot of faith in Frans ability to do well in the portal. I bet he picks up one or two guys but I doubt that they will be difference makers.
The issue is the very best portal players are highly sought by the blue bloods as well, with the competition in many cases being more acute than for HS players. Very good transfers are highly coveted for several reasons:

They have proven that they can play at the college level. Even very good HS recruits may take a year to adjust/be good college players
They fill a specific need in many cases.
They only take up a scholarship for a year or 2 in many cases. This is related to point 2. Doesn't disrupt your recruiting at the position or block other players you will bring into the program.

I don't think it's a matter of "Fran's ability to do well" in the portal. He has faults, but he has been very good at identifying good players, and many times identifying who will be good before others identify they will be good. There are numerous examples at Iowa of such players (Olaseni, White, Garza, Murray twins, etc.) Also others who Fran was in on early but then they exploded their profile and the blue bloods came calling (Tyler Ulis is one). But there is a limited supply of really good players in the portal, and the competition is fierce for them. It's not just a matter of saying "we want you" to a guy in the portal.

Objectively, if I were a talented big in the portal, Iowa would be extremely attractive. Fran has demonstrated his offense can let talented big players shine, see Garza, both Murrays. You would be paired with Kris Murray, which means you have another NBA-type talent on the floor with you. And you would have a path to playing time (at minimum 25 minutes per game). Yes, Rebraca is back, but any talented big is going to face far more fierce competition for PT at a blue blood than Rebraca.

Sorry for the long post, but if, big if, Iowa can land the Utah Valley kid or the Stanford big or one that we aren't aware of, the team next year could be quite good/interesting. My opinion is that Bowen is going to be the best pure PG has had since Dev Marble. Bohannon was tremendous in his own way, but Bowen appears to be able to get in the lane, but also have a more well-rounded offensive game than Iowa has seen at the position in some time. Still has to do it, but Bowen and Perkins playing together is very interesting. Two guards with some size, who can both drive, pass and score.

ADVERTISEMENT