ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 Roster (Connor is Back): 11 on Scholarship, 2 Scholarships Remain, 4 Walk Ons

I see it both ways as I see the value he brings but I also feel he takes PT from younger more talented players .
This. I think he is a steadying presence on the floor. He is also possibly the best inbounds passer I have ever seen. He can also defend about any position on the floor, and plays man and zone defense very well. But he's not really a threat to score, he's not quick (but his anticipation is great, helps him to make up for lack of speed), and he sees the court very well. But I hope he plays <20 mpg because the young players have come along well enough for them to play more minutes.
He's a luxury to have coming off the bench!

This. I think he is a steadying presence on the floor. He is also possibly the best inbounds passer I have ever seen. He can also defend about any position on the floor, and plays man and zone defense very well. But he's not really a threat to score, he's not quick (but his anticipation is great, helps him to make up for lack of speed), and he sees the court very well. But I hope he plays <20 mpg because the young players have come along well enough for them to play more minutes.
He's a luxury to have coming off the bench!

Connor was talking on his podcast that in the B1G championship game Purdue had to put two plays on their board to confuse Connor because Connor knew their plays.

The kid is smart and a coach on the floor.

Connor was talking on his podcast that in the B1G championship game Purdue had to put two plays on their board to confuse Connor because Connor knew their plays.

The kid is smart and a coach on the floor.
What is Iowa paying Fran for?

Potential NIL deal here

FQ-Hq_4X0AAmuda

good story from USA Today

Connor McCaffery announces return to Iowa Hawkeyes

USATSI_17793770.jpg

Josh Helmer
April 22, 2022 8:31 am CT

After a series of departures to the 2022 NBA draft, graduation and the transfer portal, the Iowa men’s basketball team got some good news. Redshirt senior guard Connor McCaffery announced his intentions to return to the Hawkeyes and make use of his sixth season of eligibility.

After being named co-winner of the Chris Street Award alongside teammate Keegan Murray at Iowa’s team awards ceremony, McCaffery grabbed the mic and delivered a message.

“Last night, I sat down thinking of what I was going to say for my senior speech. So, then I thought, ‘You know what? I’ll wait to do it next year,'” McCaffery said.

McCaffery averaged 2.5 points and 1.9 assists per game this past season for Iowa. The 6-foot-5 guard connected on 33.8% of his 3-point tries and dished out three or more assists in 11 contests during the 2021-22 season. McCaffery had a big month of February where he made 12-of-19 3-pointers.

In fact, he knocked down 11-of-15 in the final four games of the month at Ohio State, versus Michigan State, at Nebraska and versus Northwestern. That Northwestern performance on Feb. 28 included McCaffery’s season-high 17 points and a career-best five 3-pointers.

With McCaffery’s decision to return, the outlook for the Hawkeyes in 2022-23 is a little clearer. Connor’s younger brother and one of Iowa’s best players returns in Patrick McCaffery. Patrick averaged 10.5 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game this past season. Guards Tony Perkins, Payton Sandfort and Ahron Ulis are all returning. Forward Filip Rebraca is as well. Perkins, Sandfort and Ulis averaged 7.4, 5.0 and 3.1 points per game, respectively. Rebraca added 5.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.

The Hawkeyes are still waiting on sophomore forward Kris Murray’s final decision. After averaging 9.7 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, Murray announced on April 14 that he would be testing the 2022 NBA draft waters.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to play the game I love every day and to wear the Black and Gold. My focus is being able to grow as a player in every way possible. The opportunity to get feedback and experience working out for NBA teams will help me become the best player I can possibly be and take my game to the next level. I have big plans for next year and this experience will help me do that. I appreciate everyone’s support,” Murray said.

Murray didn’t sign with an agent, so he’s maintained his collegiate eligibility if he chooses to return to Iowa. Underclassmen have until June 1 to either remain or remove their names from the draft and the expectation is that Murray will indeed return to Iowa City.

Of course, guard Jordan Bohannon’s college eligibility has expired and Kris’ twin brother, Keegan Murray, announced that he would be entering the 2022 NBA draft where he’s regarded as a likely lottery pick. Beyond that, three players have transferred out. Guard Joe Toussaint is transferring to West Virginia and guard Austin Ash and forward Josh Ogundele announced they aren’t returning either.

Iowa signed a pair in the 2022 class, three-star point guard Dasonte Bowen out of the Brewster Academy in New Hampshire and three-star shooting guard Josh Dix from Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The Hawkeyes are in the running for Utah Valley transfer center Fardaws Aimaq as well. Aimaq averaged 18.9 points and 13.6 rebounds per game last season while shooting 43.5% from 3-point range. He included Iowa in his top five along with Gonzaga, Texas, Texas Tech and Washington.

What are your thoughts on the current 11 scholarship roster?

It looks like if Fran lands a decent big we are good to go.

2022-2023 Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 Scholarships Available):

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

2024 (when scheduled to graduate): 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery

Notable Walk on players:

2026 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Here is my Fran portal playbook.

Page 1: Tell fans you are going to work really hard in the portal and throw a name out (Adams).
Page 2: Have Fran trolls take to message boards to promote said player and Fran's hard work (Franisdaman).
Page 3: Named guy goes elsewhere. Shift to talking up returning guys to reduce expectations.
Page 4: Portal whiff. Fran trolls work OT to tell everyone disappointed in portal results they are bad fans and that Fran looked at a lot of players, but couldn't find the right fit.
Page 5: Talk up walk on player and offer a scholarship and imply they may get PT next year.

To be successful in the portal you need to demonstrate to kids you embrace it, which Fran clearly doesn't. It also helps if you were in on some of these kids during the initial recruitment process, which is seldom the case for Fran. Last but not least, you have to be honest about assessing current players and recognize where you can upgrade--Fran is terrible at this. 3 years wasted on Joe T., 2 years on Josh, Ulis looking like another multi-year bust and TBD on Mulvey. Fran's big portal gets = Bakari Evelyn and Rebraca.

I spent way too much time reviewing portal bios the other night and there are some intriguing players out there that should be on Fran's radar. To be clear, I was not looking at the hottest portal prospects because Fran won't even look at those guys. I reviewed players from mid-major programs and even drilled down to see which ones had Midwest roots and a lot did--even some playing at east/west coast schools grew up in WI, MN, IN or IL.
1,500+ players in the portal and Fran will likely come out with one or none.

Does nothing to make the team better. Iowa lost their arguably two best players along with likely a key bench piece. All while Fran does nothing to replace them. It's sad.
Iowa lost more going into last year. Not a problem. With the guards coming back, I like Iowa next year. A lot.

If Kris doesn't come back, I'm not big on Iowa. We'd be looking at a lineup of Ulis/Bowen, Perkins, Pat, Sandfort, and Rebreca. That lineup offers very little with regard to shooting (spacing the floor), rebounding, and defense. If one of the bigs surpasses Rebraca, that would help with rebounding and defense. By most accounts Bowen wasn't a knockdown 3 pt shooter in high school. He'll still be developing his shot in college.

If Kris doesn't come back, I'm not big on Iowa. We'd be looking at a lineup of Ulis/Bowen, Perkins, Pat, Sandfort, and Rebreca. That lineup offers very little with regard to shooting (spacing the floor), rebounding, and defense. If one of the bigs surpasses Rebraca, that would help with rebounding and defense. By most accounts Bowen wasn't a knockdown 3 pt shooter in high school. He'll still be developing his shot in college.
One word - Sandfort. He would keep teams honest. But rebounding would be an issue. To counter that, Big O and/or Riley would be counted on more, and the guards would have to rebound and block out better.

The plan all along was to get one big out of the portal. I know ISU fans have a hard time comprehending a roster that stays intact. So not grabbing multiple transfers seems foreign to them.
Even in the Hoiberg run when we had a core or Monte, Naz, Niang, Thomas, and Hogue we still ran off the guys who were not moving the needle and brought in transfers. Nothing wrong with trying to make a team better even if you love the pieces you already have.

Even in the Hoiberg run when we had a core or Monte, Naz, Niang, Thomas, and Hogue we still ran off the guys who were not moving the needle and brought in transfers. Nothing wrong with trying to make a team better even if you love the pieces you already have.
Right. There’s philosophical differences between the two programs. That’s why I tell Iowa fans who disagree with Fran’s approach to recruiting/transfers that there are plenty of programs out there that more align with what they’re looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT