ADVERTISEMENT

2022- Better Team, Worse Record?

Feb 25, 2008
This will be my one pessimistic post for the day (I can't say week because I don't remember everything I posted over the past week........but I digress).

Given what Iowa is returning, and could return if Linderbaum comes back, along with the potential emergence of some of younger players/recruits, it's very realistic to think that next year's team will be a better overalls product than this year's.

The defense may take a slight step back as a group, but the offense certainly can't be any worse than they were. At the very least, and this would still be highly unfortunate but also extremely likely given the track record of those in charge, the offense remains the same giant piece of panda poo that it is.

So if we improve in certain areas and remain serviceable in others, suffice it to say the team should be a better-looking team overall.

The problem is that schedule, which again on paper looks even tougher than the 2021 schedule looked going into the season.

It is very possible that this team could struggle to win 7 games against this schedule and not just because we like to make every game as interesting as pulling finger nails clean off your hand can be...........

Preseason, we'll have two Top 10 teams on the schedule assuming Michigan gets overhyped again, despite what they're losing, and at least another Top 25 team in Wisconsin. We may also have another one or two ranked in Minnesota and Purdue depending on how much voters like them and how those teams do throughout the season.

South Dakota State is a top 5 FCS program, Nevada is probably the most high profile MWC team we've played in years if not decades, even if they were a modest 8-5 this past year, and Iowa State is still gonna Iowa State, even though they'll lose just about everyone of consequence next year.

I just get the feeling that our luck from always living on the edge despite our ultra play it safe counterintuitive philosophy that's seen us win most of our close games these past several years, is finally gonna turn on us. We already saw it to some degree against Kentucky. I expect more of that from all our "close games" and less Penn State endings where the defense does enough to help us hold on, this upcoming season, unfortunately.

Sort of similar to the 2005 season where we had enough talent to earn a share of the Big Ten title, but the ball bounced the wrong way enough times and we somehow wound up with a 7-5 record.

Anyways, that's my pessimistic outlook for 2022. Where do you stand a little less than 8 months from the start of next year?.............

Yeah, having to play a real schedule from time to time is pretty inconvenient. Haven't beaten a team that has finished regular season ranked in 2 years, didn't even play one this year. Iowa is a great top 25 litmus for other teams
It actually really is inconvenient.....I'd prefer the easiest schedule possible all the way through the NCG with Iowa hoisting the trophy they can never take away from us..............and the rest of the world would have to deal with it. :)

As for this past year's schedule, meh. There's not much we can do about other teams not holding up their end.

It's also kind of a trade off in some cases too, where if Iowa doesn't beat some of those teams, they stay ranked..........and we continue to not have a win over a "ranked team" as you wanted to cherry pick it. Just sayin.

I've been pessimistic as anybody about next years offense. But, and it is a big but, if Iowa's O can be at least complimentary there should be a successful year coming. No way Michigan is as good next year. But that's what the wizards of smart said about them this year. They will have skill but this was a special year for them. If Harbaugh can sustain consistency (if he's even there next year) I'll be surprised. I can legitimately see Iowa 6-0 rolling into the Shoe coming off a bye week. That tO$U game could be legendary. Like along the lines of 2009 Penn St white out legendary.

Just thank god we still have a cupcake on the schedule like Nebber. I’m sure there’s a few others on there, too, but Nebber’s the one that immediately comes to mind.

my main concern is that we will beat osu and michigan but osu and michigan will finish 7-5 and 1-11 respectively and we are back to square one at 10-2 without a single good win. this is what keeps me up at night.

who am i kidding. that is my wet dream.

It actually really is inconvenient.....I'd prefer the easiest schedule possible all the way through the NCG with Iowa hoisting the trophy they can never take away from us..............and the rest of the world would have to deal with it. :)

As for this past year's schedule, meh. There's not much we can do about other teams not holding up their end.

It's also kind of a trade off in some cases too, where if Iowa doesn't beat some of those teams, they stay ranked..........and we continue to not have a win over a "ranked team" as you wanted to cherry pick it. Just sayin.
Nice fantasy there of easy path to the natty. They lost to unranked teams too, no need to cherry pick when all the teams on schedule are nothing special either way. Worked in 15 too, glad you enjoyed it though

The entire 22 season will depend on the QB play. We NEED whoever is there to complete 60% and average around 250 per game. Those aren't Playstation numbers. Those are average numbers . TD to Int ratio needs to improve. Standing still and taking a 7 yard sack needs to stop. If our QB is AVERAGE, we should win the West with what we have coming back.

Nice fantasy there of easy path to the natty. (Lol who said anything about fantasy........) They lost to unranked teams too, no need to cherry pick when all the teams on schedule are nothing special either way. (No need, but you still did it........) Worked in 15 too, glad you enjoyed it though (You felt lied to, didn't ya...)
You are quite the bitter little salt bag aren't ya..... ;)

We'll continue to enjoy making sure you never get what you want out of being an Iowa football fan. Your bitterness is too entertaining to waste it.

blhawk: "insert snarky dismissive nah, I'm good. I don't blah blah blah response"

Nah, you are clearly bothered...........and I'm here for it. :cool:

I don't know why some folks are so freaked out about the schedule. ISU comes to IC. That's always a tough game. Michigan comes to IC. Wisky comes to IC. Northwestern comes to IC. Nebby comes to IC. We go to the Shoe. Fine. That's more than likely a loss. Outside of that, the toughest of our road games will probably have tight odds. Iowa does that every season.

I don't know why some folks are so freaked out about the schedule. ISU comes to IC. That's always a tough game. Michigan comes to IC. Wisky comes to IC. Northwestern comes to IC. Nebby comes to IC. We go to the Shoe. Fine. That's more than likely a loss. Outside of that, the toughest of our road games will probably have tight odds. Iowa does that every season.
The point of my OP though was also to mention that we may not be getting as many breaks to keep winning these close games next year.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
This will be my one pessimistic post for the day (I can't say week because I don't remember everything I posted over the past week........but I digress).

Given what Iowa is returning, and could return if Linderbaum comes back, along with the potential emergence of some of younger players/recruits, it's very realistic to think that next year's team will be a better overalls product than this year's.

The defense may take a slight step back as a group, but the offense certainly can't be any worse than they were. At the very least, and this would still be highly unfortunate but also extremely likely given the track record of those in charge, the offense remains the same giant piece of panda poo that it is.

So if we improve in certain areas and remain serviceable in others, suffice it to say the team should be a better-looking team overall.

The problem is that schedule, which again on paper looks even tougher than the 2021 schedule looked going into the season.

It is very possible that this team could struggle to win 7 games against this schedule and not just because we like to make every game as interesting as pulling finger nails clean off your hand can be...........

Preseason, we'll have two Top 10 teams on the schedule assuming Michigan gets overhyped again, despite what they're losing, and at least another Top 25 team in Wisconsin. We may also have another one or two ranked in Minnesota and Purdue depending on how much voters like them and how those teams do throughout the season.

South Dakota State is a top 5 FCS program, Nevada is probably the most high profile MWC team we've played in years if not decades, even if they were a modest 8-5 this past year, and Iowa State is still gonna Iowa State, even though they'll lose just about everyone of consequence next year.

I just get the feeling that our luck from always living on the edge despite our ultra play it safe counterintuitive philosophy that's seen us win most of our close games these past several years, is finally gonna turn on us. We already saw it to some degree against Kentucky. I expect more of that from all our "close games" and less Penn State endings where the defense does enough to help us hold on, this upcoming season, unfortunately.

Sort of similar to the 2005 season where we had enough talent to earn a share of the Big Ten title, but the ball bounced the wrong way enough times and we somehow wound up with a 7-5 record.

Anyways, that's my pessimistic outlook for 2022. Where do you stand a little less than 8 months from the start of next year?.............
Same OC so take it from there. Plus Linderbaum making the right decision is a big loss and probably the same QB makes me skeptical about next year. Throw in the fact that our passing game is in the dark ages so when a team throttles our running game we are dead in the water We then pray that the Defense and/or Special Teams can find a way to bailout a win. The words Complimentary Football are hollow. Just an attempt to divert your attention away from how bad the Hawk’s Offense has been for a number of years.

Iowa, 9-3 or 10-2 next season plus a bowl win.

The defense will be outstanding. A very young but very good D line returns a ton of potential that got a season under its belt this season. Three outstanding LBs. Two starters returning in the secondary, one of which was PoY at CB last season. The defense, especially the secondary, is outstanding every season. The returning talent, plus a great incoming class, provides every reason to think they'll be as good this season as last.

Kicker is a question mark but the rest of the special teams look good. Iowa has one of the best punters and returners in the conference. Iowa is usually very good on special teams and the physical talent of the special teamers has improved as our overall talent has improved.​

The offense will be better. A lot of highly recruited linemen were freshman last season. Those are usual the kind of guys that develop faster and have higher ceiling than a walk on. While we lost the very best lineman collectively the group should be better. Also, TL's replacement is supposed to be pretty good. We lured him away from a Texas commitment so Myslinski will probably be decent.

Don't see as big a hit at RB as I originally thought. The Williams both looked good and we're bringing in some high-level talent as well. If the line improves and the running backs improve the passing game will improve, if for no other reason because the play action, Iowa's preferred passing plays, is much more credible.

The quarterbacking is going to improve. Either Spencer or Alex, if both are with the program come summer, will either have spectacularly improved or they will have been jumped. The coaches know these QBs record as well any online poster. Petras was simply the best of a weak or inexperienced group.

Don't we get Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska and Wisconsin at home?

Last edited:
With Petras coming back and Linderbaum gone, I have a hard time believing our OL or QB play is going to be anywhere close to average. I’d say 7-5 but I would have said 8-4 coming into the season. So I hope I’m wrong again.

The entire 22 season will depend on the QB play. We NEED whoever is there to complete 60% and average around 250 per game. Those aren't Playstation numbers. Those are average numbers . TD to Int ratio needs to improve. Standing still and taking a 7 yard sack needs to stop. If our QB is AVERAGE, we should win the West with what we have coming back.
My prediction is 7-5 without Petras as QB, 5-7 with him.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin will all be tough. Purdue just has our number. Then there is the game the Hawks have a lot of years where they lose to a team they shouldn’t.

But you never know. I would be happy with 8-4 given the schedule.

All very true but…..what are your feelings about Wisconsin?

I'm leaning towards the pessimistic side at 7-5. Most competent college football fan understands why Iowa could easily lose five games...maybe even six in 2022. Both @Rutgers and @Illini games are not gimmies anymore.

We shall see...Cheers and GO HAWKS!

Then there is the game the Hawks have a lot of years where they lose to a team they shouldn’t.

This is kind of getting to be an old chestnut from the past.

If you mean they lose to teams that they are "capable" of beating - sure, everyone does.

If you mean they lose to teams in which the result is considered a pretty big upset? Not so much for quite a while. I think you have to go back to 2016 against NDSU.

Defense wins championships. Sure, we have lost four guys that were big contributors in VanValkenburg, Koerner, Hankins, & Belton. That hurts, but you had young players at every one of those positions get some experience last year.

I think the defensive line is going to be scary. First, Lee, Black, Jones, Shannon are all going to be bigger and stronger and they performed extremely well. Next, you have Waggoner, Van Ness, Craig, Evans, and Hurkett who all played a ton last year at DE. We are going to need Van Ness, Craig, and Hurkett to improve the pass rush, but I think that happens. Plus...I have a feeling someone we aren't talking about is going to emerge...maybe Reames or someone off the radar.

We are deep on the DL and we have options to get to the QB. I can't wait to watch these guys...Black over 300, Lee and Jones in the 290s...and our edge rushers a year better.

The linebackers are all back...and I think it could be one of the best units in the Country...period. All good.

You know damn well Phil with two very good returning starters, plus two guys, Harris and Roberts who saw significant time...we will be fine in the secondary. Then you have the recruits...Nwankpa seems like a perfect fit to play the cash or one of the safety spots. Perfect.

On offense, we just need to shore up the OL. Petras has shown, if you give him time he can get in a groove and be effective. If Padilla or Labas beat him out...great...all the better. The big thing is the OL though. It has to be better...much better. Hopefully guys like Volk, Mylenski, & Elsbury can make the strides necessary. If Ince and Britt can stay healthy...they are options to fill out the OL with Richman and Colby. If we can land the Cornell transfer and he's as good as advertised...that's positive.

The good news on the OL is that Richman, Colby, Ince, Dejung, Britt, and Plumb have all played a ton. Add in the Cornell transfer and you have experience...they just need to improve over the next 8 months.

The best news in all of this...our OL will have to face one of the best DLs in the B10 every week in practice. That's positive.

All very true but…..what are your feelings about Wisconsin?
dave-portnoy.gif

And why are my feeling towards Wisconsin the way that they are?............

Because F*** Wisconsin, that's why!

Reactions: nbanflfactory

Who wasn't ranked because we beat them? maybe MN, which lost to one of the worst Mac teams

We NEED a transfer! More than likely we'll see the o piss away what could have been a top notch team....

Defense wins championships. Sure, we have lost four guys that were big contributors in VanValkenburg, Koerner, Hankins, & Belton. That hurts, but you had young players at every one of those positions get some experience last year.

I think the defensive line is going to be scary. First, Lee, Black, Jones, Shannon are all going to be bigger and stronger and they performed extremely well. Next, you have Waggoner, Van Ness, Craig, Evans, and Hurkett who all played a ton last year at DE. We are going to need Van Ness, Craig, and Hurkett to improve the pass rush, but I think that happens. Plus...I have a feeling someone we aren't talking about is going to emerge...maybe Reames or someone off the radar.

We are deep on the DL and we have options to get to the QB. I can't wait to watch these guys...Black over 300, Lee and Jones in the 290s...and our edge rushers a year better.

The linebackers are all back...and I think it could be one of the best units in the Country...period. All good.

You know damn well Phil with two very good returning starters, plus two guys, Harris and Roberts who saw significant time...we will be fine in the secondary. Then you have the recruits...Nwankpa seems like a perfect fit to play the cash or one of the safety spots. Perfect.

On offense, we just need to shore up the OL. Petras has shown, if you give him time he can get in a groove and be effective. If Padilla or Labas beat him out...great...all the better. The big thing is the OL though. It has to be better...much better. Hopefully guys like Volk, Mylenski, & Elsbury can make the strides necessary. If Ince and Britt can stay healthy...they are options to fill out the OL with Richman and Colby. If we can land the Cornell transfer and he's as good as advertised...that's positive.

The good news on the OL is that Richman, Colby, Ince, Dejung, Britt, and Plumb have all played a ton. Add in the Cornell transfer and you have experience...they just need to improve over the next 8 months.

The best news in all of this...our OL will have to face one of the best DLs in the B10 every week in practice. That's positive.
Our back is 7 gonna be legit! I'm not sold on the dl being near elite...they'll be good(and good enough) but I don't see great.
Offense is garbage and hard to imagine that changing. I think they averaged like 1.5 TD per game in the last 8 games

Reactions: littlez
I think that the Oline will again be a work in progress with Linderbaum going into the draft. That said, I feel better with experience up and down the line coming back. The kids had a chance to see the struggles of the line this year and won't want to have that spotlight next year. I think they'll jell faster. Having experienced tackles should also make for less-nervous quarterbacks and running backs.

The offensive skill players have the benefit of a year together. With Johnson, Bruce, Brecht, Jones, and Ragaini, lots of WR experience coming back. LaPorta, Lachey and Yelverton at TE are a strength. RB looks as strong as ever with the Williams competing. I have hope that the QB situation will work itself out. Neither of the 2 starters are happy with the way the year ended and neither is the staff, contrary to what some may think. And IF the Oline finally blocks like they are capable, it could be a pretty good year offensively for the Hawks.

Defensively, I believe in Parker. With the dline and linebackers coming back, this d could be better than last year's. Iowa lost Van Valkenburg, but they have everyone else back on the line with some monsters who didn't play because of injury or redshirt last year. I think the dline will be even better this year. The dbacks lost Belton, Hankins and Koerner, but with Moss coming back and the rest of the cast,I think it'll be a salty bunch. Throw in the X factor and I see this being an overall better defense if not to start, by the time the B1G rolls around.

I see another 10 win season, hopefully finishing better.

Nice fantasy there of easy path to the natty. They lost to unranked teams too, no need to cherry pick when all the teams on schedule are nothing special either way. Worked in 15 too, glad you enjoyed it though
So you didn't enjoy 15? Oh sorry, forgot I was talking to another one of the" not really an Iowa fan" guys...

It's also reached a point where I think many Iowa fans are not again ever expecting a loss to Iowa State, Minnesota, Illinois, or Nebraska. Eventually, that will change-- at least by a little.

ADVERTISEMENT