ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Iowa Baseball News

KyleHuesmann

HR All-American
Apr 14, 2021
Incoming FreshmanRedshirt FreshmanSophomoreJuniorSeniorDeparting
NamePosNamePosNamePosNamePosNamePosNamePos
Brody BrechtRHPAlec NigutOFSam LinkOFBrendan SherSSDylan NedvedINF/RHPZeb AdreonOF/1B
Gehrig ChristensenCKeaton AnthonyUTLBrayden FrazierOFDrew IrvineRHPIzaya FullardINFBen NormanCF
Weston FulkLHPWill SembRHPDJ HeckOFBen ProbstRHPHunter LeeRHPAdam KetelsenLHP
Marcus MorganRHPMichael SeegersINFJackson VinesRHPConnor McCafferyOFBen BeutelLHPMatthew SosaINF
Sam PetersenSSAndy NelsonUTLTyler Snep #CJack GuzekRHPBrett McClearyCAustin MartinC
Coy SarsfieldOFTyson JamesRHPRimmy NemickasLHPJack RadfordLHPCam BaumannLHPTrace HoffmanRHP
Caden StofferRHPTy LangenbergRHPPaul VossenOFDuncan DavittRHPTrenton WallaceLHP/OFGrant LeonardRHP
Ben WilmesSSAnthony ManganoUTLJacob HendersonRHPSam HojnarINF
Mitch WoodSSJackson PayneRHPPeyton Williams1B
Jack DreyerLHP
Kyle HuckstorfOF

This chart is a litte messy because I could not figure out how to post the picture of the Excel document.
Few notes as you look through.....Bold means graduated, but can return. Italics means JUCO transfer. # means possible medical redshirt.
I plan to try to get an interview with Coach Heller after the season to talk about not only this season, but about next season's roster.

Looking at this a possible opening day lineup for 2022 could be....OF Frazier, OF Link, OF Vossen/Huckstorf, 1B Williams, 2B Fullard, SS, Nedved, 3B Sher, C McCleary, DH Snep
Pitching Rotation could be Wallace, Dreyer, Baumann, Davitt. This is assuming all of the graduated players decide to return, which we will have to wait and see on. Another thing to wait on is if anyone decides to transfer in or out.

Wallace is gone, he’ll be a top ten round pick. I also assume that some of the guys like Baumann, Fullard, and Probst will either sign no matter where/if they get drafted or move on due to participating in Senior Day. We’ll see if any high school or juco guys get drafted. Iowa has had that happen and a few guys that would’ve been studs never made it to campus.

I fully expect Iowa to further hit the juco ranks. I’m also curious if they’ll hit the portal due to the one time rule change and the amount of guys out there. Could really shore up the pitching staff.

I’ll also add the portal is an absolute game changer. You can go from thinking you’re going to have a grind the next year to competing again. If there were ever an Iowa team besides basketball to take advantage it’s baseball for 2022. It has to be the right fit of guys though.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: funnyfletcher
First off, my goodness, Tropicana Field is the worst. Worse than the old Metrodome.

Here's Iowa commit Blake Guerin.

Check this out & Watch:

I am crossing my fingers like hell that Iowa’s pitching can stay healthy. Weekend rotation, midweek starters, and a quality bullpen are a must. I wouldn’t be surprised to initially see Brecht and/or Morgan out of the bullpen or starting midweek games. Iowa very could have a weekend rotation of Dreyer, Baumann, and the kid from Butler.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
I am crossing my fingers like hell that Iowa’s pitching can stay healthy. Weekend rotation, midweek starters, and a quality bullpen are a must. I wouldn’t be surprised to initially see Brecht and/or Morgan out of the bullpen or starting midweek games. Iowa very could have a weekend rotation of Dreyer, Baumann, and the kid from Butler.
Why not the SDSU transfer???

Jackson Vines and Jack Guzek have both been removed from the roster.

Will Christophersen, Kyle Huckstorf, Connor Schultz and Will Mulflur have not officially been added yet.

Jackson Vines and Jack Guzek have both been removed from the roster.

Will Christophersen, Kyle Huckstorf, Connor Schultz and Will Mulflur have not officially been added yet.
Kyle Huckstorf has officially been added to the roster.

Frisco Classic is officially set. One of three early season “tournaments” Iowa will be in.

As for the Corpus-Christi tournament, I found that in 2020 they had Texas Corpus-Christi, Missouri, Utah and Kansas State. Last year, it was just Corpus-Christi vs Houston, so hopefully it moves back to a four team field next year.

Have not seen or heard anything on the Charleston trip, but I am guessing College of Charleston or Charleston Southern will be there as the host.

ADVERTISEMENT