ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Iowa Baseball News

Wish I still had my 8 month subscription that turned into 18 free months to read that. Very excited for the rotation this spring.
Adam Mazur, RHP (South Dakota State / Iowa)- Athletic and wiry bodied, Mazur sat 90-94 mph with his fastball, showing a good feel to pitch and command to both sides of the plate. Although he’s thin at 6-foot-3, 175 pounds, he has broad shoulders and will likely add some weight for durability. Added strength may also lessen his effort level. His two-seam fastball showed late action sink and spun in the 2100 rpm range, while his four-seamer approached the mid-2300s. Both pitches, but especially his sinker played up from their raw velocity. The second pitch in his arsenal was a low-80s changeup. The pitch was slow to start, but spun tighter and broke harder as his start at Y-D progressed. The pitch flashed average at its best. Mazur also threw a changeup that lived 84-86. The pitch was firm with below average movement, however he sold it and consistently kept it down and on the corners. Aggressive and competitive, hitters were not comfortable in the box, taking many defensive swings. Mazur tunneled his pitches well and hammered away at the Red Sox lineup. He posted five shutout innings, struck out five and allowed just two hits. For the season he scattered 18 hits in 29 IP with 34 strikeouts, good for a 1.55 ERA.

Adam Mazur, RHP (South Dakota State / Iowa)- Athletic and wiry bodied, Mazur sat 90-94 mph with his fastball, showing a good feel to pitch and command to both sides of the plate. Although he’s thin at 6-foot-3, 175 pounds, he has broad shoulders and will likely add some weight for durability. Added strength may also lessen his effort level. His two-seam fastball showed late action sink and spun in the 2100 rpm range, while his four-seamer approached the mid-2300s. Both pitches, but especially his sinker played up from their raw velocity. The second pitch in his arsenal was a low-80s changeup. The pitch was slow to start, but spun tighter and broke harder as his start at Y-D progressed. The pitch flashed average at its best. Mazur also threw a changeup that lived 84-86. The pitch was firm with below average movement, however he sold it and consistently kept it down and on the corners. Aggressive and competitive, hitters were not comfortable in the box, taking many defensive swings. Mazur tunneled his pitches well and hammered away at the Red Sox lineup. He posted five shutout innings, struck out five and allowed just two hits. For the season he scattered 18 hits in 29 IP with 34 strikeouts, good for a 1.55 ERA.

Kyle, thank you for your coverage & updates.

When is the roster finalized? There seems to be a ton of comings & goings.

That spreadsheet you made was awesome; can't wait to see the final product.

And then from there, I would love to see your projected starting line up and pitching rotations for midweek and weekends.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks again.

Kyle, thank you for your coverage & updates.

When is the roster finalized? There seems to be a ton of comings & goings.

That spreadsheet you made was awesome; can't wait to see the final product.

And then from there, I would love to see your projected starting line up and pitching rotations for midweek and weekends.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks again.
Pre-Fall Practice Projected Starting Lineup
C- Brett McCleary
1B- Peyton Williams
2B- Izaya Fullard
SS- Michael Seegers
3B- Brendan Sher
LF- Open
RF- Brayden Frazier
CF- Kyle Huckstorf
Projected Weekend Rotation
1) Adam Mazur 2) Connor Schultz 3) Brody Brecht (will not participate in fall practice)
Projected Midweek Starters
Cam Baumann / Duncan Davitt / Marcus Morgan
Top Bullpen Arms
Dylan Nedved / Will Christophersen / Chas Wheatley / Casey Day
Other Names to Watch
OF Coy Sarsfield / OF Connor McCaffery / OF Sam Link / OF/1B Keaton Anthony
1B Weston Fulk / INF Sam Hojnar / INF Ben Wilmes / INF Sam Petersen / C Gehrig Christensen
C Ben Tallman / P Jared Simpson / P Luke Llewellyn / P Ty Langenberg

I have heard that the players will be getting their fall practice schedule on August 23rd, so we will likely learn about any fall games at that point. In the past they have played teams like Kirkwood, Indian Hills CC, Southeastern CC, Ontario Blue Jays and NIACC, along with the Black & Gold World Series. Hoping that I will be able to attend some of those to get a look at the transfers and incoming recruits. If I get that chance I will do a better breakdown post fall practice.

Another look at the newcomers article I wrote back in mid-July https://iowa.rivals.com/news/a-look-at-iowa-s-baseball-newcomers

I put this in the Hawkeye Lounge and forgot to put it here too.

Pre-Fall Practice Projected Starting Lineup
C- Brett McCleary
1B- Peyton Williams
2B- Izaya Fullard
SS- Michael Seegers
3B- Brendan Sher
LF- Open
RF- Brayden Frazier
CF- Kyle Huckstorf
Projected Weekend Rotation
1) Adam Mazur 2) Connor Schultz 3) Brody Brecht (will not participate in fall practice)
Projected Midweek Starters
Cam Baumann / Duncan Davitt / Marcus Morgan
Top Bullpen Arms
Dylan Nedved / Will Christophersen / Chas Wheatley / Casey Day
Other Names to Watch
OF Coy Sarsfield / OF Connor McCaffery / OF Sam Link / OF/1B Keaton Anthony
1B Weston Fulk / INF Sam Hojnar / INF Ben Wilmes / INF Sam Petersen / C Gehrig Christensen
C Ben Tallman / P Jared Simpson / P Luke Llewellyn / P Ty Langenberg

I have heard that the players will be getting their fall practice schedule on August 23rd, so we will likely learn about any fall games at that point. In the past they have played teams like Kirkwood, Indian Hills CC, Southeastern CC, Ontario Blue Jays and NIACC, along with the Black & Gold World Series. Hoping that I will be able to attend some of those to get a look at the transfers and incoming recruits. If I get that chance I will do a better breakdown post fall practice.

Another look at the newcomers article I wrote back in mid-July https://iowa.rivals.com/news/a-look-at-iowa-s-baseball-newcomers

I put this in the Hawkeye Lounge and forgot to put it here too.
Could see some of that change, which is why I would love to go see some of the fall games if I can.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I’m starting to really like this roster if they can gel.
Some real upside to the roster. Once Fullard got past his early season injury, he really hit. If Williams can stay away from the injury bug as well could have a monster power bat. Seems to be some real depth of talent on the roster, especially with pitching.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Little bit of housekeeping on transfers going out.

P Adam Ketelsen -> Wichita State
P Reece Lawler -> Illinois Chicago
P Will Semb -> Minnesota
OF Paul Vossen -> Utah Valley

Adam Mazur lands at #8 on the D1 Baseball Impact Transfer List.

“Mazur is one of many players who went out this summer and made some serious improvements. For instance, he had ERAs well over five with the Jackrabbits the last two seasons, but now heads to Iowa City after a strong showing at the Cape Cod League. Mazur is a live-armed 6-foot-2, 170-pounder, who is anywhere from 90-93 and up to 94 mph with his fastball with spin rates in the 2100-2300 range. He also attacks hitters with a low-80s slider and a mid-80s changeup. The Big Ten will certainly be a step up in terms of competition, but he has some helium after the summer circuit.”

Scrimmage 1- 2/3 1B, 2B
Scrimmage 2- 2/3 2 1B
Mississauga- 1/2 HBP 2B
Scrimmage 3- 0/1 BB

Thanks Kyle. Solid. Very solid. I didn’t like how last years team had to score runs and I’m extremely interested to watch how the O progresses this year.

Hard not to be excited about some of the developments on the mound.

Really unfortunate that Sarsfield sustained such a serious injury in his senior season. Hopefully he’s able to get back to full strength because he seems like a great OF prospect with tons of upside

Some injury/news.....

Jackson Payne had some sort of surgery late in the spring. Has not thrown this fall and no timetable on his return yet. Should be able to learn more on him and Sarsfield after fall practice ends.

Michael Seegers has not played in a scrimmage since September 17th. Sounds like he has been sick. Not really sure on much there.

Ben Wilmes did not play in the Friday scrimmage and only was a sub to run the bases vs Iowa Western. Sounds like a hand/finger injury for him right now.

Not the most clear answers, but this is what I know to this point.

ADVERTISEMENT