ADVERTISEMENT

2022 IOWA VOLLEYBALL

Hawkalumni7

Scout Team
Nov 14, 2021
New era for VB needs a new thread.
Just saw that VB just signed 2 new transfers. Not sure if it’s a misprint but a middle that is 6-7?!
And most importantly a setter. The middle is originally from Iowa which is great! Not sure who the setter is but sounds like she is a big deal. Well done new coaches!!

Just saw that VB just signed 2 new transfers. Not sure if it’s a misprint but a middle that is 6-7?!
And most importantly a setter. The middle is originally from Iowa which is great! Not sure who the setter is but sounds like she is a big deal. Well done new coaches!!
Link?

Reported on the VolleyTalk forum:

Delaney (Dill) McSweeney, an Iowa girl from Center Point, is the 6'7" one. Transfer from Wake Forest. Posted on her Instagram page also. Was #2 on the team in kills.

Also per VT and IG, Lily Tessier a 6'3" setter transferring from Florida State. Appears she was their starting setter.

Don't know why Iowa hasn't announced these yet, though there's been a lot of Hawkeye sports news lately.

Last edited:
Probably isn’t official yet.

Wow we got the Florida State setter!!
She is a great get! That’s a shocker.

McSweeney officially announced today. Big props on the 6-7 Iowa product.
Looks the the setter redshirted a year so she should have 2 years eligibility.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Per Instagram, Hannah Clayton has transferred to Purdue. Can't blame her for wanting to leave, but wish she hadn't gone to another Big Ten team.

Looks like 2 more transfers are going to be announced soon. Another one from Iowa apparently. The is the most VB excitement I’ve seen in a long time!

Reactions: intrepodor
Today I watched VB play in their 1st scrimmage. I walked away stunned. I can’t believe the transformation of this team in such a a short time. They played with such aggressiveness and speed. The offense is 100x better. The positivity of the players was off the charts. They crushed Bradley in both matches. I know the Braves aren’t Big 10 level but the complete change of this team was more than impressive.
Go Hawk VB!

Today I watched VB play in their 1st scrimmage. I walked away stunned. I can’t believe the transformation of this team in such a a short time. They played with such aggressiveness and speed. The offense is 100x better. The positivity of the players was off the charts. They crushed Bradley in both matches. I know the Braves aren’t Big 10 level but the complete change of this team was more than impressive.
Go Hawk VB!
great! Looking forward to following them. there is really no where to go but up!

Reactions: UptownHawk
Dang, I'd been meaning to go to that, but forgot and had other stuff to do anyway.

For reference, Bradley finished 4th in the MVC last fall, 4 spots above UNI.

Dang, I'd been meaning to go to that, but forgot and had other stuff to do anyway.

Wow. Didn’t know that.
I really liked the transfer Urquhart. Was impressive.

2 more commitments just announced. From 6 players 2 months ago to now 17. We lost some great talent but happy with the hard work being put in.

Reactions: BDJHawk

UNI was not close to the same team last year. The extra Covid year really messed with their roster.

We finish 2-1 at Ames today:

Iowa State Spring Tournament Match Results
Iowa State def. Drake 3-0 (25-17, 26-24, 15-13)
Iowa def. UNI 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 15-13)

Iowa State def. UNI 2-1 (25-17, 25-13, 13-15)
Iowa def. Drake 2-1 (22-25, 25-14, 15-12)

Iowa State def. Iowa 2-1 (25-13, 15-25, 15-11)
UNI def. Drake 2-1 (25-21, 21-25, 15-9)

Reactions: SWIowahawks
We finish 2-1 at Ames today:

Iowa State Spring Tournament Match Results
Iowa State def. Drake 3-0 (25-17, 26-24, 15-13)
Iowa def. UNI 3-0 (25-18, 25-17, 15-13)

Iowa State def. UNI 2-1 (25-17, 25-13, 13-15)
Iowa def. Drake 2-1 (22-25, 25-14, 15-12)

Iowa State def. Iowa 2-1 (25-13, 15-25, 15-11)
UNI def. Drake 2-1 (25-21, 21-25, 15-9)
Very encouraging! Good job Hawks!

Nice sweep of UNI!!

what makes this impressive is they are doing it without 2 of the best players from last year Buzzerio and Clayton.

The team is playing hard and Lots of talent coming in. I’m pumped!

Just read that the final spring scrimmage today for Hawk VB was a very successful one.
They beat Iowa State 2-1. Great improvement over spring for this new team. They swept NDSU. And went 1-1 with UNI.

I keep hearing wonderful things about all the changes within the program. Go Hawks!

Looks like the volleyball team reported for summer workouts. 9 new players and 8 returners. Lots of excitement in a short time for this new coaching staff. On paper they won’t be picked to win much but I suspect they are going to surprise everyone.
love the new talent coming in.

Iowa going all the way under Barnes

Reactions: Hawkalumni7
I’m so impressed by coach Barnes and the players. I watched every media day video and they were by far the best interview. Genuine, funny and you can tell the players really respect him. I think these players will run through a wall for the coaches. It will take that to win in the Big 10.

Frankly, it will take that to get to a .500 conference record. Given the program's history, that would be a major accomplishment. If the Hawks can pull that off, Barnes should be B10 COY.

Staff & team seem to be doing everything possible to build momentum for the season, best of luck to the VolleyHawks!

Last edited:
Totally agree. The program has 1 winning season this century and the conference record is an average of 3-17 each year.
Big job ahead. I like what I see and hear though!

Reactions: LinusPF
Agree with alumni7 and row55 that Coach Barnes has the program going in the right direction. B1G is going to be tough again this year with arguably five teams in the top 11 nationally. Will be pulling for the Hawks except on October 14th.

Not a big volleyball guy as the club stuff is a tad crazy for my liking and not easy to work with as a high school coach of another sport.

That said, the state has some talent that seems to always go elsewhere. What can the new staff do to keep some of these kids here?

Tomorrow, Sat the 20th at 5pm is the Black and Gold scrimmage. Anyone going? Should be a great crowd with all the buzz. Bringing the family. Should be fun.

I liked how we got back in it in set 3, even though we eventually lost. That 6'4" hitter #3 for them was on fire, had me wishing we still had Buzzerio. Oh well, onward!

I hear you but the freshman Onabanjo played right side and was a beast. She got all tournament. So we seem to have an answer for Buzzerio. The 6-7 kid Mcsweeney is a legit player to. She got all tournament. The setter Tessier looks like a big time setter. Once all these new faces gell I see them winning some games they did not last year.

I hear you but the freshman Onabanjo played right side and was a beast. She got all tournament. So we seem to have an answer for Buzzerio. The 6-7 kid Mcsweeney is a legit player to. She got all tournament. The setter Tessier looks like a big time setter. Once all these new faces gell I see them winning some games they did not last year.
Looking forward to watching them on B1g+

Looking forward to watching them on B1g+
I watched a little of the Colorado match.Noticed that there is a lot of reaching. players need to move the feet, I gues I expected more. also I didn’t see the tall girl from Center Point. did she play?

Looks like McSweeny played one set and Caspers, the 6'5" transfer from Kent State played two. It was reversed the day before. It is nice to have that much size, seems like a lot of the better teams have a couple of girls in the 6'5"-ish range. IMHO, if your middle blocker is 6 foot or thereabouts, it's tough to get blocks without really good position and timing.

I was hoping we could at least have won a couple of sets over the weekend, but looks like a decent shot at at least two wins this weekend in Ames. ISU looks a little off this year, they are presently 2-4 on the season.

They played top 10 Washington close until one of our best players Onabanjo went down to a leg injury. Hope it isn’t too bad. CU is really good they beat top 20 Illinois to.
would have been a major upset for Iowa to have won a match at this tournament.
Hawks need to get healthy and go beat the teams this next weekend.

They played top 10 Washington close until one of our best players Onabanjo went down to a leg injury. Hope it isn’t too bad. CU is really good they beat top 20 Illinois to.
would have been a major upset for Iowa to have won a match at this tournament.
Hawks need to get healthy and go beat the teams this next weekend.
Thanks for bringing some perspective. Didn’t realize the other teams were ranked.

Go Hawks. Beat the Cyclones on the field and VB court. VB is on the road. Looks like it’s on ESPN+ Friday at 6:30pm

ADVERTISEMENT