ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

The “project” Murray’s have worked out fairly well, yes?
I'm not sure the Murray's would come anywhere close to my definition of projects. They came out of HS, and prep school with well rounded skills, and the physical attributes to play P-6 BBall. Like Aaron White they were under-recruited.

IMO projects are players recruited, based on potential, that need further development. Guy's like Olaseni and Ogundele that lack critical skills coming into college.

i don't know enough about Fens. His scoring and rebounding numbers are good, but do his quickness and athleticism make him a good fit in the B1G?

Reactions: Fitzhawk
I'm not sure the Murray's would come anywhere close to my definition of projects. They came out of HS, and prep school with well rounded skills, and the physical attributes to play P-6 BBall. Like Aaron White they were under-recruited.

IMO projects are players recruited, based on potential, that need further development. Guy's like Olaseni and Ogundele that lack critical skills coming into college.

i don't know enough about Fens. His scoring and rebounding numbers are good, but do his quickness and athleticism make him a good fit in the B1G?
I think you are accurate in these statements now....at the time they committed to Iowa most people on this board thought they were fall back recruits....most thought they were projects because they weren't getting offers from other high D1 schools. They weren't highly rated. Fortunately all of us that thought that were dead wrong.

I think you are accurate in these statements now....at the time they committed to Iowa most people on this board thought they were fall back recruits....most thought they were projects because they weren't getting offers from other high D1 schools. They weren't highly rated. Fortunately all of us that thought that were dead wrong.
Where would this team have been if they had went elsewhere?

Reactions: perryhawk

we all remember that melt down thread, where when it was discovered that Keegan & Kris would be accepting scholarship offers, posters on here said that Fran should be fired

The “project” Murray’s have worked out fairly well, yes?

Keegan and Kris averaged 20 ppg for DME Prep in their final pre-college season.

Cameron Fens averages 19 ppg for Dubuque Hempstead.

DME Prep has put 31 kids on D1 rosters in the last 5 years.

Hempstead has had maybe 1 or 2 in that time.

Bottom line: comparing the Murray twins' out of HS and Fens is what people refer to as a "reach".

Reactions: seer_hawk

Bottom line: comparing the Murray twins' out of HS and Fens is what people refer to as a "reach".
I agree, but Fens could go the same route and ..........?

It was my clear understanding that Hooper was making the comparison of a fan THINKING a player was a project vs knowing what the coaches know....in which case the Murray's are the perfect example. I did not read that he was comparing the Murray's to Fens in terms of their skills etc.......that's where I think you have misinterpreted what he was saying.

That was not the murrays out of high school. It was them out of prep school. Very few saw their potential when they were playing in the mvc and aau.

I agree, but Fens could go the same route and ..........?

I wonder if Cameron is looking at one year of prep school; that might be why Tom listed him as 2023

@perryhawk , like this thread if I am on to something ;)

I wonder if Cameron is looking at one year of prep school; that might be why Tom listed him as 2023

@perryhawk , like this thread if I am on to something ;)
When you think about it.....the example that the Murray's set and how much it helped them, then you consider the fact that big guys develop late....you very well might be on to something.

It was my clear understanding that Hooper was making the comparison of a fan THINKING a player was a project vs knowing what the coaches know....in which case the Murray's are the perfect example. I did not read that he was comparing the Murray's to Fens in terms of their skills etc.......that's where I think you have misinterpreted what he was saying.
Was Perkins a project? He wasn't highly recruited, but led a successful Indiana team in scoring, and playmaking. I didn't expect him to be an impact player right away, but felt he came in with a lot of skills needed to become a contributor. Sandfort? Joe T? These guys were all successful at the HS level. Unless the bar is P-6 offers. I wouldn.t call them projects. Are you saying they are to the average fan?

Was Perkins a project? He wasn't highly recruited, but led a successful Indiana team in scoring, and playmaking. I didn't expect him to be an impact player right away, but felt he came in with a lot of skills needed to become a contributor. Sandfort? Joe T? These guys were all successful at the HS level. Unless the bar is P-6 offers. I wouldn.t call them projects. Are you saying they are to the average fan?
Wut? I haven't mentioned any of those players.

Well you just compared Fens to the Murray's out of Prep school. One might also call that a reach.

2nd wings vs a post are different skills

Fens is an intriguing prospect not a project

What makes him NOT a project, to you?
6'11" 250lbs with skills

I'd put him ahead of Ogundele and Mulvey

The Murray's needed that year at Prep School to physically mature. However they were on their way the spring/summer before Prep School. When I saw then at the Allstars game at kirkwood in May you saw a HUGE improvement and clearly they would be high major D1 prospects

Wut? I haven't mentioned any of those players.
You stated that the average fan considered the Murray's projects based on offers, and perceived fall back status. You may be right, but as a long time follower of recruiting a "'project" is something different to me.

Based on that standard Fran has brought in several projects, and I named a few. To me they weren't "projects" because they had good basketball skills, that translated well at the college level, and had adequate or better athleticism.

Seemed to me that both Perkins and Ulis were in the running for POY in their respective states (Indiana and Illinois ) when McCaffery was recruiting them. They surely displayed both offensive and defensive skills to be in that position. You would hope those skills would come to the forefront pretty soon, making them more than role players during their time here.

ADVERTISEMENT