ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

I personally think Fran has to consider bringing in a transfer C for next season, and it's no disrespect to Jack, who IMO is better suited as a stretch PF. Some questions though about the Hawkeye future roster:

1. Are undergrad transfers eligible to play immediately now, or just grad transfers?

2. I think our biggest need after that is a PG for the future (although you could debate the 3/4 positions as well). Assuming our priority is indeed a PG target, who's the best of our current recruiting targets to fill that role?

I see a thread stating that "we are in" on Tyler Nickel; that thread has a video from 9 months ago. That's interesting.

For all those paying attention, we have "been in" on Tyler Nickel for 9 months now.

Tyler was offered 9 months ago, on June 24, 2020, and for the last 9 months, anytime I see an update (video or otherwise) on him, I have been updating this thread.

See the previous post; the information is not from 9 months ago but from March 3rd, where Tyler indicated he is hearing the most from Iowa, VT, NC State, and Memphis.

I won't start another thread each time
I see a Tyler Nickel or Dasonte Bowen nugget. Instead, I will just carry on with this one.

Meanwhile, if you are looking for more old videos to watch of Tyler, either scan thru this thread OR here is one from just 4 months ago; Tyler is interviewed at the end.

As you can see, he has quite the skill set on offense and can be a rim protector on defense.

Watch:

cc: @Rambler Hawk @goodbyebobby @Hawksfinal4 @boxahawks @skydog0784 @BBHawk @Hawksfor3 @Sheahawk @perryhawk @Ronman @Herky T Hawk @MWardT @Hawk_4shur @hawkosx @Ihawkhoops @BigOHawk @Hawkfan_08 @BlackNGoldBleeder @The Deplorable Sleeping Dog @vacuum_cleaner

Last edited:
One obvious question: why would Virginia not be all over Nickel if he really is a stud? Garza is example of a skilled player from East coast with questionable athleticism that worked out very well for Iowa and Fredrick was also under recruited, so yes these type of recruits are out there.

Reactions: Hammer93
One obvious question: why would Virginia not be all over Nickel if he really is a stud? Garza is example of a skilled player from East coast with questionable athleticism that worked out very well for Iowa and Fredrick was also under recruited, so yes these type of recruits are out there.

It is a good question. He's a 4 star, after all.

And Virginia only has ONE PLAYER committed so far for 2022 (Isaac McKneely, a 4 star 6'4" combo guard)

And one big thing that sucks with covid is that he has yet to visit any of the schools who have offered.

His 14 offers:
Iowa
Indiana
Penn State
LSU
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Cincinnati
Richmond
Appalachian State
Old Dominion
James Madison

• Wow
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
@CalmHawk ,

If you have been following along over the last 9 months, Iowa is in on PG Dasonte Bowen.

I would prefer Dasonte and Tyler Nickel take the 2 remaining scholarships.
I know, but King is rising in the rankings and has a CJ vibe to me as a combo guard/ pg type.

He plays a lot like McClung from Texas Tech

Last edited:
I know, but King is rising in the rankings and has a CJ vibe to me as a combo guard/ pg type.

We will have a junior PG and a senior PG on the 2022-2023 roster. I just think we will need to land a PG in the 2022 class.

Take a look at this:

CURRENT 2022-2023 ROSTER (11 on Scholarship; 2 Available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 1 player

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

JUNIORS: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

SENIORS: 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

6'11" F Jack Nunge (***); in his freshman year (2017-2018) he played in 33 games and averaged 5.7 ppg; in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season. In the 2019-2020 season, he appeared in only 6 games before tearing his ACL in a game vs Cal Poly. On May 12, 2020, Jack was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver).

The kid that has talked glowingly about Fran and is very talented is Kyle Filipowski(sp?).....I think that he is a PF who is a threat from 3 as well....high level recruit. I would think that the staff has continued to pursue this kid since he is a different player than Mulvey?
Here's his thoughts about Iowa back in Nov.

That is a great video. Thanks for sharing, Silas.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out with just 2 scholarships now available.

I still think we need a PG for this 2022 class since we will have a junior PG (Ulis) and a senior PG (Toussaint) on the 2022-2023 roster. Or, can we wait another year?

That's where PG Dasonte Bowen comes into play, imo.

Kyle Filipowski was offered June 18, 2020.
He is listed as a PF; 6'9", 215, out of Wilbraham, MA.

I love White Magic's East Coast connections. And I really think these kids like the way Iowa gets up and down the court, where everyone has a green light.

Kyle has 17 offers, including:
Iowa
Purdue
Maryland
UCLA
Stanford
Notre Dame
Boston College
Xavier
Virginia Tech
Pitt
Providence
Vanderbilt
UConn

Iowa offered Tyler Nickel on June 24, 2020.

I saw a report from a few days ago that Tyler has been very impressed with both Iowa & Fran during the recruiting process. Iowa has made him a big priority for this 2022 class.

2 scholarships remain. Who wants one?

Iowa offered Tyler Nickel on June 24, 2020.

I saw a report from a few days ago that Tyler has been very impressed with both Iowa & Fran during the recruiting process. Iowa has made him a big priority for this 2022 class.

2 scholarships remain. Who wants one?
I think it’ll be Nickel and Bowen. Does an extra spot open up should Weezy go pro?

Last edited:
I'm always interested in the question of whether it's Iowa that's holding back having guys commit or is the kid? We want to get him on campus, I sure. But when recruits say they are high on us but don't commit, is it Iowa having them wait to see if someone better comes along..

Reactions: Franisdaman
I'm always interested in the question of whether it's Iowa that's holding back having guys commit or is the kid? We want to get him on campus, I sure. But when recruits say they are high on us but don't commit, is it Iowa having them wait to see if someone better comes along..
It’s a process. These kids are going to be making a decision that affects their entire athletic future. If I was in their shoes, I’d make sure I know everything I can before I make a decision.

I think it’ll be Nickel and Bowen. Does an extra school open up should Weezy go pro?

For 2021-2022, we currently have one available scholarship. If Weezy leaves early, that leaves us with 2 available scholarships.

As far as 2022-2023 goes, here's where that roster stands:

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'11" F Jack Nunge (***); in his freshman year (2017-2018) he played in 33 games and averaged 5.7 ppg; in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season. In the 2019-2020 season, he appeared in only 6 games before tearing his ACL in a game vs Cal Poly. On May 12, 2020, Jack was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver).

For 2021-2022, we currently have one available scholarship. If Weezy leaves early, that leaves us with 2 available scholarships.

As far as 2022-2023 goes, here's where that roster stands:

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

Gotcha. So currently, there is only one open scholarship. And there is a chance Fran can go to the portal, which would negate a scholarship.

It’s a process. These kids are going to be making a decision that affects their entire athletic future. If I was in their shoes, I’d make sure I know everything I can before I make a decision.
and would you commit if you have not visited?

i think that's the biggest hold up, along with these being East Coast guys trying to decide if they want to move to the Midwest

What is the story on Emarion Ellis? Davenport kid, highest rated in the state yet no offers from any of four D1 schools in the state. He has signed with Texas.

Sorry if this was already talked about.

Gotcha. So currently, there is only one open scholarship. And there is a chance Fran can go to the portal, which would negate a scholarship.

Correct. And i have never liked these 5 (or 6!!) player classes.

Also, we have been talking about Weezy having a decision to make. Well, it appears Connor might, too.

Here is where the 2021-2022 roster currently stands

2021-2022 Roster (12 on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

Freshmen: 1 player

Sophomores: 6 players

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

Juniors: 3 players

Seniors: 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

Correct. And i have never liked these 5 (or 6!!) player classes.

Also, we have been talking about Weezy having a decision to make. Well, it appears Connor might, too.

Here is where the 2021-2022 roster currently stands

2021-2022 Roster (12 on scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

Freshmen: 1 player

Sophomores: 6 players

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

Juniors: 3 players

Seniors: 2 players

6'6" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.
Are Kris Murray and Josh O going to redshirt or take advantage of the COVID year? I think that would be beneficial for them both.

Are Kris Murray and Josh O going to redshirt or take advantage of the COVID year? I think that would be beneficial for them both.
that's another piece to this recruiting puzzle; in theory, any of the true freshmen like Kris & Josh could have 5 more years (a redshirt year + 4 more years)

but we don't know what Iowa has promised them, either; if, for example, Josh said he wanted to redshirt next season. would Iowa agree to have him on scholarship for 6 years?

that's another piece to this recruiting puzzle; in theory, any of the true freshmen like Kris & Josh could have 5 more years (a redshirt year + 4 more years)

but we don't know what Iowa has promised them, either; if, for example, Josh said he wanted to redshirt next season. would Iowa agree to have him on scholarship for 6 years?
It’s going to be tricky for them no doubt. I also wonder about guys potentially transferring out. And another theory that has come up is Connor potentially walking away from basketball, which would potentially open up 4 scholarships for 2022.

What is the story on Emarion Ellis? Davenport kid, highest rated in the state yet no offers from any of four D1 schools in the state. He has signed with Texas.

Sorry if this was already talked about.

The Iowa staff knew about him, but they were focused on Sandfort because of the need for a shooter. Even as a senior, Ellis only shot 43% from the field and 26% from 3. Despite this, I think if Shaka Smart is fired, the Iowa staff should make a push for Ellis. He was dynamite at the state tourney and clearly Iowa needs athletic wings like him.

The Iowa staff knew about him, but they were focused on Sandfort because of the need for a shooter. Even as a senior, Ellis only shot 43% from the field and 26% from 3. Despite this, I think if Shaka Smart is fired, the Iowa staff should make a push for Ellis. He was dynamite at the state tourney and clearly Iowa needs athletic wings like him.
Ellis would fit in well at Iowa. A nice slasher at the 2, with some good defensive skills. He’d be a good addition to the team.

I am sure we will hear a lot in the next 2 months about these guys.

Top priority is Nickel

Then one of Bowen or King would be nice.

Also, it will be interesting to see who is transferring and staying this year and see who we go after in the transfer market.

I am sure we will hear a lot in the next 2 months about these guys.

Top priority is Nickel

Then one of Bowen or King would be nice.

Also, it will be interesting to see who is transferring and staying this year and see who we go after in the transfer market.
Nickel and Bowen please. If CMac does quit basketball, then I also want one of either King or Schutt.

Reactions: squeezebox
@squeezebox

You seem high on Eli King , who we offered on June 23, 2020.

He is, of course, the 6'1", 160 PG out of Caledonia, MN.

I have not heard much chatter connecting him lately to Iowa.

Have you?
I haven't heard yet if he's decided which sport he is going to play. Iowa was recruiting heavily for football as well. Could be an interesting decision for the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT