ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

I haven't heard yet if he's decided which sport he is going to play. Iowa was recruiting heavily for football as well. Could be an interesting decision for the kid.
And Ben Johnson, the new Minny basketball coach, is determined to keep the MN kids in MN

Don't forget; Ben is a Minneapolis native and has HUGE ties to the Minnesota AAU circuit and Minnesota high schools.

Sorry if this was posted but are Bowen and Nickel athletic or more of the same of what we have? College comparisons could help...

Is this something Connor is considering? I saw a thread of people saying they want him to focus on baseball but I didn’t know he was actually thinking about doing that.
With the two torn hip labrum’s, I think it would have to weigh on his mind. He’s going to miss his entire baseball season this year, and he might not even be back for the season next year. He already took a hardship wavier too. Maybe he redshirts, maybe he takes the COVID year, but I would have to imagine this is something weighing on his mind.

I'd presume that Iowa would like to get some guys on campus and get commitments late summer/fall, but I wouldn't be surprised that Iowa offers and gets commitment from Steven Kramer from Johnston.

He's a 6'6" combo guard that is going to blow up in the AAU circuit this summer. his handles and bounce have greatly improved and he's an athletic guard that can score and defend very well with size/length.

I'd presume that Iowa would like to get some guys on campus and get commitments late summer/fall, but I wouldn't be surprised that Iowa offers and gets commitment from Steven Kramer from Johnston.

He's a 6'6" combo guard that is going to blow up in the AAU circuit this summer. his handles and bounce have greatly improved and he's an athletic guard that can score and defend very well with size/length.
I think Iowa should try and offer him a PWO if they can.

• Haha
Reactions: 2432Hawk
Sorry if this was posted but are Bowen and Nickel athletic or more of the same of what we have? College comparisons could help...
I’d say a lot of the young guys seem athletic. Especially Keegan and Perkins. I’m sure Kris is as well, but we have only got to see glimpses with the limited playing time.

PMac’s speed is a little deceptive I think. He looks like he is moving slow because he is so long but he actually seems pretty explosive and is regularly able to get past his guy and get to the rim (just finishing once getting there was a struggle earlier this season). He has a lot of bounce in his step.

Both ranked top 100 damn that would be good gets. We are the presumed favorites for both?
We are number 1 for Bowen if I had to guess. He played HS ball with Josh O at Worcester. Someone said here a few months ago that knew the Nickels or knew someone close to the Nickels that Tyler and his dad are really high on Iowa, and that they we are probably Tyler’s top choice currently.

interesting how he has popped on to the scene, mostly from that State Tournament performance

Iowa has been on him since last summer.

when I say "popped on to the scene," i mean several things:

* Iowa was the only Power 6 school calling him on June 15, 2020, the first day that college coaches could contact 2022 prospects directly

* Good luck trying to find a Rivals profile for him; it currently does not exist.

* As a sophomore (2019-2020), Kramer averaged 6.1 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 1.7 assists per game while shooting 57 percent from the field and 35 percent from beyond the arc.

* Again, June 15, 2020 was the first day that college coaches could contact 2022 prospects directly. Iowa, Northern Iowa, Belmont, South Dakota, Utah State, Denver University were the main schools that talked to him.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
It will be interesting, Reed, Schutt, Filipowski, Nickel, Fox, Bowen, and anybody else Fran likes
with just the 2 schollies now available, I hope we get the PG Bowen & the forward Tyler Nickel

CURRENT 2022-2023 ROSTER (11 on Scholarship; 2 Available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

SOPHOMORES: 1 player

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

JUNIORS: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

SENIORS: 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

6'11" F Jack Nunge (***); in his freshman year (2017-2018) he played in 33 games and averaged 5.7 ppg; in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season. In the 2019-2020 season, he appeared in only 6 games before tearing his ACL in a game vs Cal Poly. On May 12, 2020, Jack was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver).

with just the 2 schollies now available, I hope we get the PG Bowen & the forward Tyler Nickel

CURRENT 2022-2023 ROSTER (11 on Scholarship; 2 Available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

SOPHOMORES: 1 player

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

SENIORS: 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'11" F Jack Nunge (***); in his freshman year (2017-2018) he played in 33 games and averaged 5.7 ppg; in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season. In the 2019-2020 season, he appeared in only 6 games before tearing his ACL in a game vs Cal Poly. On May 12, 2020, Jack was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver).
Me too but everyone is drooling over the guys in the Portal Potty

Reactions: CalmHawk
Me too but everyone is drooling over the guys in the Portal Potty

that could shake things up a bit, for sure, depending on the # of years a prospect has left. its kinda like a jig saw puzzle.

i just hope we don't add any more to the 22-23 junior class, which already has 6 players! I never have liked these severely unbalanced classes

Forgot Connor on your list Fran.
Connor (& Weezy) is scheduled to graduate/be done in May, 2022, so the 2022-2023 roster would not include him.

Connor announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

We now have 3 scholarships available for 2022-2023. In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

ONE ADDITIONAL THING TO MONITOR: due to covid-19, 2020-2021 was considered a "free year" by the NCAA, so seniors Luka Garza and Jordan Bohannon could have come back for the 2021-2022 season. So, anyone listed below as SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS could potentially play/graduate a year later than CURRENTLY expected.

2022-2023 Roster (10 on Scholarship; 3 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 0 players

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

SENIORS: 2 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***)

Nothing inside, but in the interviews he's done he's spoken very highly of the Iowa coaching staff and the fact that he idolizes Luka Garza's game.... He's got a very similar game to Luka's, but probably a bit more bouncy.

Also, has a simular story to Garza in that he's busted is ass to get into shape. Dropped 45lbs

Nothing inside, but in the interviews he's done he's spoken very highly of the Iowa coaching staff and the fact that he idolizes Luka Garza's game.... He's got a very similar game to Luka's, but probably a bit more bouncy.

Also, has a simular story to Garza in that he's busted is ass to get into shape. Dropped 45lbs
Gotcha, thanks. Florida State will be a tough offer to compete with I think, maybe Georgetown with Ewing as coach, but it seems like Iowa could have a realistic shot

Reactions: BirdistheWord
And Ben Johnson, the new Minny basketball coach, is determined to keep the MN kids in MN

Don't forget; Ben is a Minneapolis native and has HUGE ties to the Minnesota AAU circuit and Minnesota high schools.
I think Iowa State and Minnesota are his top 2 right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT