ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Targets?

herkcy

HR All-State
Nov 7, 2002
Anyone know who out of the class of 2022 are our targets? I'd guess the needs would be 174, 184 & HWT if there is 100% confidence in our current roster.

Anyone know who out of the class of 2022 are our targets? I'd guess the needs would be 174, 184 & HWT if there is 100% confidence in our current roster.

174 should be manned by Kennedy until 2025. 84 depends on whether Assad shirts or not but we should be good there until 2024. Can't believe we are already looking at Cass's replacement. I would be guessing 57 and 65 would be needs. Really miss Fargo and UWW to evaluate the elite kids.

couple freshmen 170 that could possibly replace Assad depending on body growth and development. 2023 recruits

I am guessing Kennedy 165, Brands 174, Assad 184, Warner for 2 then Glazier at 197, Cass at Hwt.

I just utilized this site https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/34/iowa/profile to determine needs. I didn't account for growth though. Both Cass and Assad will be sophomores though correct? Agreed on Assad's possible redshirt. Just don't know how that would make a two year difference in needs. Not trying to argue, just understand.

No worries bro...I'm just happy to be here talking wrestling. Yes...Cass is RS Soph, will be done in '23. If Assad shirts, will be done in '24. Class of 22 guy would shirt in 23 and be ready to go for the 24 season...hypothetically, we'd have a wasted year. I agree with you on HWY which is the "Cass's replacement" statement. Seems like yesterday watching him at Night of Conflict his senior year of high school. All of this assumes that we go this year and don't receive a blanket pass on a year of eligibility like they have done for the fall sports.

To WeH8's...I think that Kennedy will start off at 65 but then seeing him bumping up after Brands leaves. Hence my thinking for a '22 165.

Right now, I think our big question marks for the future are 49 and 57. 57 will be a hole next and the following year unless we get a transfer. I think Rathjen could play a role in one or the other. Optimal scenario is to get Real Woods for 49 and hope somebody develops above their "expectation"...a Reyna or Siebrect etc which is very possible.

Chief,

Has there been any word on if Real to the Hawks is a realistic scenario, or who he is even looking at for possible transfer?
Not to speak for Chief but I think all options are on the table for Real, including not wrestling anymore. Given his relationship with Izzy I’d say the Hawks will for sure be in the conversation.

Chief,

Has there been any word on if Real to the Hawks is a realistic scenario, or who he is even looking at for possible transfer?

Real was gung ho for Stanford from the get but I do think Iowa would have been a serious contender otherwise.

Reactions: jrod65
Not to speak for Chief but I think all options are on the table for Real, including not wrestling anymore. Given his relationship with Izzy I’d say the Hawks will for sure be in the conversation.
Real was gung ho for Stanford from the get but I do think Iowa would have been a serious contender otherwise.

Thanks! He sure would be a fantastic pick up.

All I've ever heard on Kennedy was 165. Not sure where the 174 rumors started.

He's thick, but not overly tall.
I think Pat will do whatever he wants. He for sure starts at 165. If he wants to be a 4 year 165 guy I think he can. If he wants to get a little bigger and go 174 I think he can.

I think Pat will do whatever he wants. He for sure starts at 165. If he wants to be a 4 year 165 guy I think he can. If he wants to get a little bigger and go 174 I think he can.
From his high school record, he'll go wherever the team needs him.

Everything I've ever read about him says he's unselfish and team oriented. Obviously, projecting out two years is subject to change.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
From his high school record, he'll go wherever the team needs him.

Everything I've ever read about him says he's unselfish and team oriented. Obviously, projecting out two years is subject to change.
I didn’t mean he wasn’t. I was trying to say it all depends on how he trains here. If he wants/needs to put on weight and go 174. If he wants/needs to be 165 for the team he will keep his body smaller.

Reactions: MitchLL
On flo today I saw Mendes released his school list with Iowa on it which is cool but also 8 other teams so who knows.

Bratke did say he thinks it’s more down between the Big Ten “blue bloods” schools and mentioned Iowa, Minnesota, tOSU, Michigan. My first thought was, “Michigan is a blue blood?”

tOSU is borderline at best as well imo.

Anyone else surprised to see Iowa State wasn’t on the list😳?

The article had a slant of where he would have the best shot to be a 4 year starter, however, there was no mention of Henson being competition, just Schriever.
He’s currently top ten P4P and #3 class of 2022. If he’s the right fit, these are the guys this board incessantly says we have to have.

Last edited:
Anyone else surprised to see Iowa State wasn’t on the list😳?

The article had a slant of where he would have the best shot to be a 4 year starter, however, there was no mention of Henson being competition, just Schriever.
He’s currently top ten P4P and #3 class of 2022. If he’s the right fit, these are the guys this board incessantly says we have to have.

Seeing is how he has two years left, I'm guessing he will be wrestling at 149. Henson is going to be a killer...looks like a prototypical Iowa guy. Between him or Schriever, 141 is in good hands. Then again, Henson is currently #1 at 145. I am guessing he is not cutting but maybe he gets big enough for that 149 weight. As Spooner would say, predicting weights this far out is a crapshoot.

I want Mendez here in Iowa so I can just use "Entiendes Mendez?" all the time. I really like Avila as well...Had this summer been normal, I think we would have seen a coming out party nationally for him. Just shit luck.

Bratke did say he thinks it’s more down between the Big Ten “blue bloods” schools and mentioned Iowa, Minnesota, tOSU, Michigan. My first thought was, “Michigan is a blue blood?”

tOSU is borderline at best as well imo.

Hold on. You saw that list and questioned Michigan and Ohio State but didn't give Minnesota a second thought? And you don't think Ohio State is a blue blood program? Wut?

Also, this post has been up for 24 hours and I'm the first to question? Come on, guys. I shouldn't have to do all the heavy lifting.

Hold on. You saw that list and questioned Michigan and Ohio State but didn't give Minnesota a second thought? And you don't think Ohio State is a blue blood program? Wut?

Also, this post has been up for 24 hours and I'm the first to question? Come on, guys. I shouldn't have to do all the heavy lifting.

Minnesota has 3x the National Championships and over twice as many conference tourney titles compared to tOSU, so yes, I do look at them as more of a historic blue-blood compared to the Buckeyes.

Also, what has Michigan wrestling ever done that warrants blue-blood status? They have zero NCAA team titles and haven't won a conference tourney since the 70s.

I am talking all-time blue-blood here, not the best programs right now. Minnesota is 6th all-time in team titles, only behind Okie State, Iowa, PSU, ISU, and OU lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: VansontheMoon44
Always a weird argument. Were or are they a blue blood? Nebraska football is a prime example of that.

I agree with both. Minne became a blue blood when J took over and they stopped being one when J had to quit...even given the seamless transfer of power to Eggum. Iowa and PSU have made it a habit of raiding Minne high schools for some of its best wrestlers. Even tOSU got into the act with Sokol. This, considering the tight relationship that many of those wrestlers have had with the Minnesota Storm. They, more than any RTC, have influenced a lot of really good high school wrestlers due to its location to a big urban and suburban area.

Right now, OU, Minne and ISU are in some tough times. Minne has not had an individual champion since Nelson in 2013. If everything were normal this season, they are looking to drop down to third tier in the B1G. Iowa, PSU, Michigan/tOSU, Nebby, Rutgers/Minne plus rest of the field. Michigan still finished above them despite all of their guys redshirting last year.

The main difference between ISU and Minne is that Dresser was left with a dump whereas Eggum had a large hand in recruiting and developing the team he had.

Flo just put out a who’s left on the 2021 BB and Valencia 65/74 and Hoselton 84/97 both list Iowa. Who knows maybe we are not done yet.

I understand your point, but I thought Sokol was going to Cornell.

I agree with both. Minne became a blue blood when J took over and they stopped being one when J had to quit...even given the seamless transfer of power to Eggum. Iowa and PSU have made it a habit of raiding Minne high schools for some of its best wrestlers. Even tOSU got into the act with Sokol. This, considering the tight relationship that many of those wrestlers have had with the Minnesota Storm. They, more than any RTC, have influenced a lot of really good high school wrestlers due to its location to a big urban and suburban area.

Right now, OU, Minne and ISU are in some tough times. Minne has not had an individual champion since Nelson in 2013. If everything were normal this season, they are looking to drop down to third tier in the B1G. Iowa, PSU, Michigan/tOSU, Nebby, Rutgers/Minne plus rest of the field. Michigan still finished above them despite all of their guys redshirting last year.

The main difference between ISU and Minne is that Dresser was left with a dump whereas Eggum had a large hand in recruiting and developing the team he had.

Seniors:
1. Shayne Van Ness(132) no real need here but I Really like him very doubtful anyway
2. Enrique Munguia(152) definite need but probably low interest
3. Dylan Connell(170) could be a need and last I heard there was some interest here
4. Griffin Liddle(hwt) would be nice but getting him off of the football field would take a miracle

Juniors:
1. Jesse Mendez(132) Must get absolute stud will be interesting to see where he ends up
2. Robert Avilia(132) My favorite recruit out of Iowa's junior class for sure and top 5 for sure nation wide
3. Caleb Henson(145) Could possibly man 141/149 down the road although I like what we have coming a lot at those weights IF he could get to 157 He might be a lot better for us.
4. Mickey Griffith(170) Sneaky good big up side here plus he is home grown
5. Queintin Saunders(182) could be a nice pick up for 184 in the future
6. Ryan Rogers(182) another super talented kid that could man the 184 spot down the road
7. Nicholas Feldman(195) perfect replacement for Warner
8. Kolby Franklin(220) somewhat a tweener but hoping he could end up at hwt for the Hawks down the road
9. James Howard(hwt) another stud but keeping him off the football field will be difficult

Sophomores:
1. Cody Chittum(132) Another extremely talented kid hoping he can grow some but should Definitely be on the radar.
2. Gabe Arnold(160) hard telling where he ends up weight wise but another one that should be on the radar
3. Ben Kueter(160) Ha he will fly by that His dad is really tall and Ben is a absolute monster!
4. Tate Naaktgeboren(160) Probably closer to this weight.
5. Jim Mullen(hwt) another stud that would be nice to have

Minnesota has 3x the National Championships and over twice as many conference tourney titles compared to tOSU, so yes, I do look at them as more of a historic blue-blood compared to the Buckeyes.

Also, what has Michigan wrestling ever done that warrants blue-blood status? They have zero NCAA team titles and haven't won a conference tourney since the 70s.

I am talking all-time blue-blood here, not the best programs right now. Minnesota is 6th all-time in team titles, only behind Okie State, Iowa, PSU, ISU, and OU lol.

Minnesota is a blue blood in the same way Nebraska football and ISU wrestling are blue bloods. They aren't.

Ohio State has been in the top 6 every year for 8 seasons, been runner up 3 times and won an NCAA title in 2015. Their resources outpace almost everyone but PSU. Count them.

ADVERTISEMENT