ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Schedule Breakdown

Let’s be real here. No way you have friends
If several FCS schools can compete with--and sometimes beat--the likes of Iowa, why can't the likes of Iowa (Big Ten, etc.) compete with--and sometimes beat--SEC schools (Alabama, Georgia, etc.)? Asking for a friend.
So your saying that Iowa didn't kick Ohio State's ASS a few years ago, or won 5 of the last 6 games in Kinnick against top 5 ranked teams? Or those games against top 5 teams don't count because they weren't SEC teams? How many SEC teams have we played in the last 10 to 15 years? Whats our record against them? You might be surprised in what you find. As for the scheduling do you REALLY believe its all on our end? I can damn well assure you that not even Bama or Clemson or LSU, want ANY part of playing Iowa in Kinnick as part of a home and home non conference matchup.

Reactions: uihawk82
I think the Hawkeyes will be ranked somewhere between 15 and 20 in most of the Pre-Season polls that come out.

I like to break the schedule down in 3 game stretches.

First 3 Games - South Dakota State, ISU, Nevada - Predicted Record: 3-0 - Ranking after 1st 3 Games: 12

South Dakota State - will be a tough opponent for sure but no reason the Hawks shouldn't win this game by 2 TDs - 31-17
Iowa State - they lose a lot and the game is in Kinnick so I expect to win by 10 plus - 27-16
Nevada - they lose their stud QB to the draft and have a new coach - Hawks win by 10 plus - 38-20

Next 3 Games: at RUT, MICH, at ILL - Predicted Record: 3-0, Overall Record: 6-0 - Ranking after 6 games: 5
At Rutgers - Road games in the Big 10 are never easy, but need to win this one handily - 31-13
Michigan - most likely will be a night game vs. a top 10 Michigan team - the atmosphere and crowd help gets a signature win - 24-23
At Illinois - might be a little ugly coming off a huge win but still get a W - 24-13

Next 3 Games: at OSU, NW, at PUR - Predicted Record: 1-2, Overall Record: 7-2 - Ranking after 9 games: 14
At OSU - tough game and environment vs. an uber talented team - 17-30
Northwestern - get an early lead and for once don't let off the gas vs NW - 38-17
at PUR - the struggle continues vs. Purdue - 23-27

Next 3 Games: WIS, at MINN, NEB - Predicted Record: 3-0, Overall Record: 10-2 - Ranking after 12 games: 10
WIS - get a huge home win over Bucky to secure the tie-breaker nod for the Big 10 West - 23-20
at MINN - they return some weapons but Floyd stays home - 34-24
NEB - the winning streak vs. continues - 31-17

Hawks finish 7-2 in the West and get back to the Big 10 Title game vs. OSU.
I wished I felt your optimism, but it is good to hear. Fans forgot we were # 2 in the nation, and finished the season strong

So your saying that Iowa didn't kick Ohio State's ASS a few years ago, or won 5 of the last 6 games in Kinnick against top 5 ranked teams? Or those games against top 5 teams don't count because they weren't SEC teams? How many SEC teams have we played in the last 10 to 15 years? Whats our record against them? You might be surprised in what you find. As for the scheduling do you REALLY believe its all on our end? I can damn well assure you that not even Bama or Clemson or LSU, want ANY part of playing Iowa in Kinnick as part of a home and home non conference matchup.
How many home and home matchups do they play? Their big games are often on neutral ground it seems

no ‘power’ sec team travels north for a non-conference matchup. They get these neutral site games that don’t have a hostile crowd.

no ‘power’ sec team travels north for a non-conference matchup. They get these neutral site games that don’t have a hostile crowd.
Obviously, my point in responding to the poster about why Iowa doesn't play or beat SEC teams in the non conference. There's nothing in it for us. Their not going to come play Iowa in Kinnick, or probably not in Chicago or anywhere else, so how are we supposed to schedule them in a way that makes sense to our program? People that bring this shit up, just make me shake my head. Its like these matchups are decided by one team, and we don't want to play anybody.

Might want to check out Wisconsin’s 24 non conference schedule

I think the Hawkeyes will be ranked somewhere between 15 and 20 in most of the Pre-Season polls that come out.

I like to break the schedule down in 3 game stretches.

First 3 Games - South Dakota State, ISU, Nevada - Predicted Record: 3-0 - Ranking after 1st 3 Games: 12

South Dakota State - will be a tough opponent for sure but no reason the Hawks shouldn't win this game by 2 TDs - 31-17
Iowa State - they lose a lot and the game is in Kinnick so I expect to win by 10 plus - 27-16
Nevada - they lose their stud QB to the draft and have a new coach - Hawks win by 10 plus - 38-20

Next 3 Games: at RUT, MICH, at ILL - Predicted Record: 3-0, Overall Record: 6-0 - Ranking after 6 games: 5
At Rutgers - Road games in the Big 10 are never easy, but need to win this one handily - 31-13
Michigan - most likely will be a night game vs. a top 10 Michigan team - the atmosphere and crowd help gets a signature win - 24-23
At Illinois - might be a little ugly coming off a huge win but still get a W - 24-13

Next 3 Games: at OSU, NW, at PUR - Predicted Record: 1-2, Overall Record: 7-2 - Ranking after 9 games: 14
At OSU - tough game and environment vs. an uber talented team - 17-30
Northwestern - get an early lead and for once don't let off the gas vs NW - 38-17
at PUR - the struggle continues vs. Purdue - 23-27

Next 3 Games: WIS, at MINN, NEB - Predicted Record: 3-0, Overall Record: 10-2 - Ranking after 12 games: 10
WIS - get a huge home win over Bucky to secure the tie-breaker nod for the Big 10 West - 23-20
at MINN - they return some weapons but Floyd stays home - 34-24
NEB - the winning streak vs. continues - 31-17

Hawks finish 7-2 in the West and get back to the Big 10 Title game vs. OSU.
I think Purdue might win the West. Soft schedule and an experienced QB.

I think Purdue might win the West. Soft schedule and an experienced QB.
As usual sure most people will pick Wisconsin to win. However they return only 3 guys on D and lost top 2 WR and TE. Their crossover schedule probably the toughest from the west with games @ osu (protected cross over now) and msu. Purdue you’re right maybe the easiest. Get Maryland and IU. But that week 1 game Thursday night against psu could be huge for them if they win in terms of competing for west title. Why Iowa fans should hope psu wins like they did last year vs wisky week 1.

Sept. 3 South Dakota State win easily but STSU scores laye to make it close

Sept. 10 Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series) Iowa wins 34-10

Sept. 17 Nevada (Family Weekend) Iowa 27-10

Sept. 24 at Rutgers Iowa 30-28

Oct. 1 Michigan Iowa 31-14

Oct. 8 at Illinois Iowa 16-10

Oct. 15 Open

Oct. 22 at Ohio State Iowa 31-28

Oct. 29 Northwestern (Homecoming) Iowa 34-20

Nov. 5 at Purdue Iowa 24-16

Nov. 12 Wisconsin Iowa 24-10

Nov. 19 at Minnesota Iowa 31-7

Nov. 25 Nebraska (Senior Day) Iowa 56-3 Frosty fired after the game

Dec. 3 Big Ten Championship vs Mich Harbaugh says Mich is so good we keep game going from 1st game. Iowa 38-30

Passed over playoffs due to Bama going 8-4 but they pass the eye test.

13-0 heading to Gator Bowl

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Not a great accomplishment. 8 wins would mean our offense is still pathetic. Defense will be even better than last year imo!
Must be a lot of husbands on here that say honey it’s great you lost 10 pounds but if you worked harder you could lose 10 more.

Must be a lot of husbands on here that say honey it’s great you lost 10 pounds but if you worked harder you could lose 10 more.

No, the loud posters are only loud with the anonymity of the internet. The same big voices here are probably afraid of their wife and wouldn't say boo. If they can manage to get laid.

Reactions: PIEPI
Will never understand why Barta schedules teams like NDSU and SDSU for games that are supposed to be gimmes. If you’re scheduling an FCS school, you better schedule one that you know you will beat.

I will say it again, the loss to NDSU was a confluence of ugly by Iowa. The hawks really overwhelmed them in the first half on defense but that blindside hit on CJB popped up the ball for an easy TD. the hawks would have had a bigger halftime lead and of course the hawks wasted some opportunities etc . And finally a blatant holding call against joesy jewell led to their qb's big run to set up the winning FG.

Iowa proved beating Mich that year that they were way better than NDSU but Kirk was too conservative and his team had the usual early season malaise.

I say 9-3 if we have another great FG kicker. Unless our running game is just really good we will stall out drives and have to settle for a lot of FG tries. If we do not have a good FG kicker then we go 8-4.

If we have a great running game and the passing game improves 10-15% and we have a really good FG kicker we are 10-2, or even better.

The Purdue game is going to be the key for the Iowa season. While Purdue lost Karlaftis and Bell, they return OConnell who will by far be the best QB in the west to begin the season. But the big deal for Purdue is that they play Maryland, Indiana and PSU in the crossover games, and PSU is at home. They play both Iowa and Wisky at home and their toughest road game will probably be Nebraska. Iowa has to win the head-to-head for sure.

Of course Iowa wants to win the head-to-head against Wisky too, but Wisky has a much tougher schedule. At OSU, at Iowa, at Michigan St., at Nebraska.

I think NW will suck, Nebraska is going to start beating some people, and Illinois is going to jump up and grab somebody too, but still a ways to go. Like last year, I think the west will be won at 7-2.
Personally, I think O'Connell is a bit overrated at QB. Purdue couldn't run the ball to save their own lives last season, so naturally their passing game was their only offensive option and as a result their passing stats must be taken with a grain of salt. He does complete a good percentage of his passes, but with Bell gone I don't think there's a similar player to fill those shoes this season, not even close. O'Connell also led the conference in interceptions with 11 (tied with Tagovailoa & Mertz). He does have an exemplary completion percentage, but he tends to take the easy catch and run option and isn't necessarily a guy who will beat you continually down the field on deep throws (unless it's against Iowa, duh!)

That being said, I think our coaching staff needs to wake the hell up and have a game plan both offensively and defensively specifically for the Purdue matchup. Brohm has shown that his depth of knowledge of our tendencies and our weakest points is comprehensive and he utilizes it with great affect. I said it last year after the Purdue loss that Brohm knows Ferentz better than Ferentz knows Ferentz, and it could have probably been said for Parker as well. And I think that's why Brohm is the better head coach, although it pains me to write that. If we fail to adequately tailor a game plan (and have a backup to that plan) this season, we will surely lose again.

Personally, I think we turn the table around this year but I'll be extremely nervous going into that week's game.

Personally, I think O'Connell is a bit overrated at QB. Purdue couldn't run the ball to save their own lives last season, so naturally their passing game was their only offensive option and as a result their passing stats must be taken with a grain of salt. He does complete a good percentage of his passes, but with Bell gone I don't think there's a similar player to fill those shoes this season, not even close. O'Connell also led the conference in interceptions with 11 (tied with Tagovailoa & Mertz). He does have an exemplary completion percentage, but he tends to take the easy catch and run option and isn't necessarily a guy who will beat you continually down the field on deep throws (unless it's against Iowa, duh!)

That being said, I think our coaching staff needs to wake the hell up and have a game plan both offensively and defensively specifically for the Purdue matchup. Brohm has shown that his depth of knowledge of our tendencies and our weakest points is comprehensive and he utilizes it with great affect. I said it last year after the Purdue loss that Brohm knows Ferentz better than Ferentz knows Ferentz, and it could have probably been said for Parker as well. And I think that's why Brohm is the better head coach, although it pains me to write that. If we fail to adequately tailor a game plan (and have a backup to that plan) this season, we will surely lose again.

Personally, I think we turn the table around this year but I'll be extremely nervous going into that week's game.
Eh being better against one coach doesn’t make him an overall better coach. Kirk has won games that Brohm could never in a million years do (outside of the 2018 OSU game).

Eh being better against one coach doesn’t make him an overall better coach. Kirk has won games that Brohm could never in a million years do (outside of the 2018 OSU game).
You’re correct, I overstated that and gave Brohm more credit than he likely deserves. It’s just been such a damn frustrating series lately that I pray will turn around soon.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
You’re correct, I overstated that and gave Brohm more credit than he likely deserves. It’s just been such a damn frustrating series lately that I pray will turn around soon.
Oh absolutely understand. It’s something I think a lot of have been frustrated about. If Kirk can figure out Matt Campbell (a significantly better coach than Brohm) or Fleck or Frost or whomever, why can’t he seem to beat Brohm? At least with the losses against Wisconsin we can attribute it to them having a better offense and similar defense as us so it feels somewhat justified. Purdue? No clue.

It's been interesting to compare the pessimistic predictions through the years.

But, even among the Negative Nellies there has been a subtle increase in the confidence of Iowa's predicted finish.

Now the pessimists are saying Iowa will probably be 8-4. In most previous the predictions were 6-7 wins, although it's been more than a decade since a full season with only 6 wins and clear back to 2014 to find a 7 win season.

Now coming off a 10 win season with the best back to back recruiting classes in probably a decade I'm thinking optimism is in order.

Reactions: Wingman137

But, even among the Negative Nellies there has been a subtle increase in the confidence of Iowa's predicted finish.

Now the pessimists are saying Iowa will probably be 8-4. In most previous the predictions were 6-7 wins, although it's been more than a decade since a full season with only 6 wins and clear back to 2014 to find a 7 win season.

Now coming off a 10 win season with the best back to back recruiting classes in probably a decade I'm thinking optimism is in order.
One of the bigger "transitionary" periods for the Hawks was handling the transition when we lost both Norm and Ken as the coordinators. Happened post '11 season.

Kirk had been wanting to transition Norm earlier to a reduced role - due to Norm's failing health - but, as I understand it, he was facing obstacles from the university's administration. Thus, given how things occurred in a protracted fashion with Norm ... that put extra strain on the defensive staff (definitely impacted things in '10 and '11).

I bring up this history ... because I believe that the current combo of youth and vigor on the coaching staff ... along with the acumen of guys like Kirk, Phil, Kelvin, Seth, and LeVar ... and I think that the combo of coaching stability and player talent really has the Hawks on track for special things.

I don't really see a whole lot of "let up" from Phil's defense ... anytime in the foreseeable future. That tends to spell good things for the Hawks given the team's DNA.

One of the bigger "transitionary" periods for the Hawks was handling the transition when we lost both Norm and Ken as the coordinators. Happened post '11 season.

Kirk had been wanting to transition Norm earlier to a reduced role - due to Norm's failing health - but, as I understand it, he was facing obstacles from the university's administration. Thus, given how things occurred in a protracted fashion with Norm ... that put extra strain on the defensive staff (definitely impacted things in '10 and '11).

I bring up this history ... because I believe that the current combo of youth and vigor on the coaching staff ... along with the acumen of guys like Kirk, Phil, Kelvin, Seth, and LeVar ... and I think that the combo of coaching stability and player talent really has the Hawks on track for special things.

I don't really see a whole lot of "let up" from Phil's defense ... anytime in the foreseeable future. That tends to spell good things for the Hawks given the team's DNA.

You bet! Look at the defense by position. Where's the weakness? Dane B is being replaced as the CASH by another highly athletic and skilled player, Cooper D. We have a 5* recruit that might not start because the of the depth at safety. CB we return the Big Ten's best cornerback. Have a number of options for the other side.

Arguably the best linebacker group in the conference. I opine the D Line will be significantly better than last year's. Punter might improve but he is still learning that craft and is already outstanding. Kicking is unknown, and Iowa has been lucky, or perhaps just skilled at recruiting kickers.

The news about the offense has mainly focused on changes. Simplification. Bringing a QB analyst on board. I also think we will see substantially better offense. Iowa will have better QB play. Either Petras or Padilla significantly improves or Labas takes their job. I'm thinking the later is more likely but Petras could have that senior year where it finally all comes together. Pretty sure Padilla as a starter is already unlikely. A lot of talented young offensive linemen, mostly sophomores. Best receivers are sophomores. Good at TE.

Just saw Iowa is 4th in the conference wins over the last 10 years. Ahead of Michigan and Pedo St. Every reason to believe we will all see a better and more successful team next season than the ten win team in 2021.​

Last edited:

The thing holding me back from predicting a better record than 8 wins, OL and QB still need work and kickers didn't look to good in the Spring practice. If I was more confident at least in the OL and kicking, I think 10 win season isn't out of the realm of possibilities. But if they can't run the ball again and QB struggles and have a shaky kicker it will be difficult to win that many games even with an elite defense.

ADVERTISEMENT