ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Soccer

wneff

HR Heisman
Jan 14, 2003
Any reports from Sunday's exhibition, the first athletic event for any sport in the 22-23 season? I was gonna go, but obviously didn't. Maybe Friday.
Are the west coast games on ESPN+?

There are pics up on the Twitter page, so they played. The NIU website has an article posted, but doesn't mention a score.

Any reports from Sunday's exhibition, the first athletic event for any sport in the 22-23 season? I was gonna go, but obviously didn't. Maybe Friday.
Are the west coast games on ESPN+?

There are pics up on the Twitter page, so they played. The NIU website has an article posted, but doesn't mention a score.

I thought I saw a 1-0 win but I could be mistaken. I was just glancing through tweets.
I wasn't there but Iowa came back down from 2-1 to win 4-2. Northern Michigan transfer Caroline Halonen scored the go-ahead and winning goals.

Reactions: wneff
I believe UCLA has two players in the U20 World Cup. One playing for Mexico, which advanced, and one for the US, which didn’t get out of its pool last night. Assume she won’t be back and playing tonight.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I believe UCLA has two players in the U20 World Cup. One playing for Mexico, which advanced, and one for the US, which didn’t get out of its pool last night. Assume she won’t be back and playing tonight.

Absolutely pathetic that the U20s didn't advance. Not only did they fail to get out, they gave up SIX goals to the Netherlands and Japan. Very upset with that major failure for the US.

As for the game, the Hawks fall 1-0. I watched the first 5 minutes (my free 5 min on the Pac12 app) and Iowa was completely on the front foot and UCLA didn't have the ball on our side of the field at all. Carey out of the back was causing all sorts of problems.

Would have obviously been nice to win that game but the stats seem to show the Hawks competed fairly well. Go out on the road against a perennial power and #13 ranked team and fall just 1-0 isn't a terrible result.

Get the other win in California and we are fine.

The good news: Hawkeyes get their first goal (Anderson) and victory in beating Cal Poly 1-0.
The bad news: Macy Enneking was taken off in a cart in the 87 minute. Since it was on ESPN+, they didn’t replay it and didn’t show her on the ground after the injury. Played was stopped for 2-3 minutes. She collided with a teammate, although CP got a yellow card out of it, and I’m guessing concussion. But really could be anything. She was sitting up in the cart on the sideline.

Nobody posted but we lost to Kansas this week. Rough start for the Hawks.

It was 1-0.

Bright side: Hawks have only conceded 2 times.

Bad side: one goal.

Last edited:
The good news: Hawkeyes get their first goal (Anderson) and victory in beating Cal Poly 1-0.
The bad news: Macy Enneking was taken off in a cart in the 87 minute. Since it was on ESPN+, they didn’t replay it and didn’t show her on the ground after the injury. Played was stopped for 2-3 minutes. She collided with a teammate, although CP got a yellow card out of it, and I’m guessing concussion. But really could be anything. She was sitting up in the cart on the sideline.

There we go.

4-0 W over Depaul to go back to 2-2.
Enneking posted a selfie on Instagram that's pretty gnarly. Raccoon eyes with one full of blood, and the area around her nose puffy enough to make it barely look like her. Guessing she'll be out at least a few weeks.

Hawkeyesports.com doesn’t show any television for the next two games. The Baylor and ISU websites show them on ESPN+, which serves as the Big 12 Network these days.

Hawkeyesports.com doesn’t show any television for the next two games. The Baylor and ISU websites show them on ESPN+, which serves as the Big 12 Network these days.
Iowa State might be a problem this season. The Cyclones just beat #24 Michigan in Ann Arbor and scored this beauty:

Iowa just missed the Big Ten tournament. Michigan State is the regular season champions with 9 wins and 1 draw, courtesy of Iowa. Iowa also beat second place Northwestern and fourth place Nebraska, and drew sixth place Penn State. Yet Iowa was not good enough to get in the top 8. 5 draws in the Big Ten season and 7 overall do not help.

A bit OT, but UNI has rattled off a second post-season victory to go to their second MVC Final Four in a row. Great header…

The same UNI that was housed by Iowa.

It's crazy this Iowa team just couldn't get more results.
Another crazy stat, Iowa played three of the top 12 teams as ranked at the end of the regular season. All matches were away from home. They went 1-1-1. Their only loss? 1-0 to now #1 UCLA. The only major conference team to be one game away from a perfect regular season.

They played to the level of their competition too many times.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Another crazy stat, Iowa played three of the top 12 teams as ranked at the end of the regular season. All matches were away from home. They went 1-1-1. Their only loss? 1-0 to now #1 UCLA. The only major conference team to be one game away from a perfect regular season.

They played to the level of their competition too many times.

They were missing two girls for the U-20 WC though. (Or whatever age group that was)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT