ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24

NCHawkeye24

HR MVP
Apr 19, 2021
With the commit of Proctor today I wanted to look at where this roster may be at in his projected 3 years he will be here. Disclaimer: I know a ton can happen between now and then but I wanted to see if there is going to be enough talent that overlaps his (and X) tenure to do some really great things.

Ready to go:
Oline: This group looks really, really good. The growing pains of 2021 and probably going into 2022 will look to pay off in 2023 and especially 2024. In 24, Proctor would be a sophomore, but would be surrounded by seniors Colby, Jones, Volk, Elsbury and juniors Davidkov and Stephens. There are a lot more here too so I think there is a high chance that talent and experience may meet for this group over these two years, thinking that they could culminate into a 2002 type of line as they all should be 310 plus.
RB: At a position where young talent can contribute in a big way, there will be experience with both Williams, Johnson, Patterson and Raphael. They all probably won't make it that for, but, I love the mix of size and speed with this group. I think this group will be just fine and capable of big things.
TE: Lachey will be a senior, but there is young talent in Ostrenga, Vanderbush and Yelverton. Considering the success of TE's, one would think this group will be just fine.
Dline: Wow, all that young talent of 2021 will be grown up and with the addition of 22 and 23 recruiting classes this will definitely have to be a strength, both inside and on the edge.
Backfield: Looks like Dejean is getting groomed for the cash, but of the 5 positions one would think that 2 of them will be occupied by him and X. I have learned to never doubt Phil Parker and there is so much talent in that room that someone will emerge. Hall, Engringer?.

Maybe?:
LB: Jacobs will be here in 23 but gone in 24. There is a lot of talent in that room that will be juniors in 24, but none of them really proven yet. I put this as a question mark also because this group is so important to the defense and in years past when they are young it doesn't seem to generate as much concern as it should. We need a couple of players to emerge this year out of this group and I think we will have a good idea by the end of this year what this group is going to look like.
QB: Well, we will only plan to play one quarterback, so out of Labas, May, Lainez lets someone someone emerges here. I think with the rest of the talent on the roster it would be ok to start a sophomore and feel confident, but atleast we have a some hope with this group.
Special teams: Not sure who it will be, but this program consistently does a great job with special teams that we shouldnt be worried. But, I put it here because I would need to see it.

I don't see it
WR: Johnson and Bruce will be jrs and srs in 23 and 24 and should be solid. But past that, we have Brecht that we havent even seen yet and Bostick coming in this year. I don't have a lot of faith in anyone that is older than Johnson and Bruce because those two guys passed everyone as true freshmen. But that is it, 3 guys with nobody else in the pipeline, for a group that needs to be much bigger than that. I think that not having a big target on the outside would be a huge achilles heel for this team. So this would need to be a #1 get for the portal.

Looks like 2024 could be the year we have all been waiting for, especially if a QB emerges and we get some more WR talent. I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

Reactions: desihawk
any thoughts on:

1) his chances of starting on Game 1 in 2023?

2) where he ranks overall in all O-line commits in the Ferentz era?

3) where he ranks compared to the other two five-stars, Espenesa and Nwampka?

4) Will he enroll in January? If so, it seems that would really increase his chances of starting onGame 1 as asked above.

a picture is not usually worth a thousand words, but the expression on KF's face in the photo of him standing next to Proctor is worth 1,000 words.

any thoughts on:

1) his chances of starting on Game 1 in 2023?

2) where he ranks overall in all O-line commits in the Ferentz era?

3) where he ranks compared to the other two five-stars, Espenesa and Nwampka?

4) Will he enroll in January? If so, it seems that would really increase his chances of starting onGame 1 as asked above.

a picture is not usually worth a thousand words, but the expression on KF's face in the photo of him standing next to Proctor is worth 1,000 words.
Probably low chance he starts year 1. Richman will be a 3 year starter. Colby will still likely be starter and none can play center. That leaves two positions left and Dunker, Davidkov, Stephens, and Elsbury are very talented. I think attrition is the only way he starts year 1.

Personally I think he starts. If for no other reason because of his size. But, if he doesn't start, that probably means that the oline is in a really good place at that time.

Reactions: Torg
Steven Stillianos is a name you should probably mention
Cool, the more the merrier. I know I don't have everyone one there and I will probably look back at this post in a couple years and laugh at how inaccurate it was, but, it sure looks like we will be loaded on the lines.

If the OL projections hold up, Iowa should be able to run 4 consecuive QB sneaks against USC in 2024..... all big gainers, just for old times sake, and a trip down memory lane.

All those years the B10 had to travel to So. California to play in the Rose Bowl. Watching the sunny beach boys playing in Iowa City, or Madison, or Lansing, or Minnepolis in late October and November will be worth it. Give me 20 degrees with a steady 15 mph wind and flurries for the visiting sun bathers.

any chance we see some of these OL guys change positions to DL? It just seems as though we are getting a bit "overloaded" with our embarrassment of riches at OL. (never thought I would see the day that I would ever use such a phrase describing Iowa).

That is no to say that there is a paucity of talent on the DL, but they tend to rotate more on the DL than the OL, it seems. I just do not want to lose guys transferring out due to lack of playing time, and it seems maybe position switching might be a partial solution.

any chance we see some of these OL guys change positions to DL? It just seems as though we are getting a bit "overloaded" with our embarrassment of riches at OL. (never thought I would see the day that I would ever use such a phrase describing Iowa).

That is no to say that there is a paucity of talent on the DL, but they tend to rotate more on the DL than the OL, it seems. I just do not want to lose guys transferring out due to lack of playing time, and it seems maybe position switching might be a partial solution.
No

With the commit of Proctor today I wanted to look at where this roster may be at in his projected 3 years he will be here. Disclaimer: I know a ton can happen between now and then but I wanted to see if there is going to be enough talent that overlaps his (and X) tenure to do some really great things.

Ready to go:
Oline: This group looks really, really good. The growing pains of 2021 and probably going into 2022 will look to pay off in 2023 and especially 2024. In 24, Proctor would be a sophomore, but would be surrounded by seniors Colby, Jones, Volk, Elsbury and juniors Davidkov and Stephens. There are a lot more here too so I think there is a high chance that talent and experience may meet for this group over these two years, thinking that they could culminate into a 2002 type of line as they all should be 310 plus.
RB: At a position where young talent can contribute in a big way, there will be experience with both Williams, Johnson, Patterson and Raphael. They all probably won't make it that for, but, I love the mix of size and speed with this group. I think this group will be just fine and capable of big things.
TE: Lachey will be a senior, but there is young talent in Ostrenga, Vanderbush and Yelverton. Considering the success of TE's, one would think this group will be just fine.
Dline: Wow, all that young talent of 2021 will be grown up and with the addition of 22 and 23 recruiting classes this will definitely have to be a strength, both inside and on the edge.
Backfield: Looks like Dejean is getting groomed for the cash, but of the 5 positions one would think that 2 of them will be occupied by him and X. I have learned to never doubt Phil Parker and there is so much talent in that room that someone will emerge. Hall, Engringer?.

Maybe?:
LB: Jacobs will be here in 23 but gone in 24. There is a lot of talent in that room that will be juniors in 24, but none of them really proven yet. I put this as a question mark also because this group is so important to the defense and in years past when they are young it doesn't seem to generate as much concern as it should. We need a couple of players to emerge this year out of this group and I think we will have a good idea by the end of this year what this group is going to look like.
QB: Well, we will only plan to play one quarterback, so out of Labas, May, Lainez lets someone someone emerges here. I think with the rest of the talent on the roster it would be ok to start a sophomore and feel confident, but atleast we have a some hope with this group.
Special teams: Not sure who it will be, but this program consistently does a great job with special teams that we shouldnt be worried. But, I put it here because I would need to see it.

I don't see it
WR: Johnson and Bruce will be jrs and srs in 23 and 24 and should be solid. But past that, we have Brecht that we havent even seen yet and Bostick coming in this year. I don't have a lot of faith in anyone that is older than Johnson and Bruce because those two guys passed everyone as true freshmen. But that is it, 3 guys with nobody else in the pipeline, for a group that needs to be much bigger than that. I think that not having a big target on the outside would be a huge achilles heel for this team. So this would need to be a #1 get for the portal.

Looks like 2024 could be the year we have all been waiting for, especially if a QB emerges and we get some more WR talent. I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this.
Jones has told me that the staff feels his ideal playing weight is 290, so it is pretty unlikely he ever gets above that. Hoping Elsbury develops into a starter, but from what I have seen of his play he looks pretty slow and high getting off the ball.

Probably low chance he starts year 1. Richman will be a 3 year starter. Colby will still likely be starter and none can play center. That leaves two positions left and Dunker, Davidkov, Stephens, and Elsbury are very talented. I think attrition is the only way he starts year 1.
I think Colby likely stays at guard long-term, Davidkov plays there for a year or two, and KP slides into an open tackle spot mid-2023/2024. Maybe they bump Richman to RT depending on who's comfortable where.

I think Colby likely stays at guard long-term, Davidkov plays there for a year or two, and KP slides into an open tackle spot mid-2023/2024. Maybe they bump Richman to RT depending on who's comfortable where.

WTH? I agree with you on two straight posts.

Jones has told me that the staff feels his ideal playing weight is 290, so it is pretty unlikely he ever gets above that. Hoping Elsbury develops into a starter, but from what I have seen of his play he looks pretty slow and high getting off the ball.

Well Linderbaum at 290 worked out pretty good I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT