ADVERTISEMENT

2023 MLB....Bigger bases, shorter distance between bases......

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
I believe the bases are going to be 3" larger, (15" to 18") therefore the distance between 1st and 2nd...and 2nd and 3rd will shorten 3"...."Schutt" had the MLB base contract but financial concerns have enabled another concern (Rawlings I believe) to get the "base" contract with MLB next season....It's a HUGE $$ number, too! (Baseball is very very good to its vendors!)

The new bases are larger so potential contact by basemen and runners is minimized....
Also, a "pitch timer"will be added....I believe pitchers must deliver w/in 15 secs when bases empty, 20 secs with base runners....I think batters will only be allowed to step out of the batters box once per plate appearance....(these ideas have been experimented in AAA this past year....it is hopes game times will be reduced 15-20 minutes/ game.
Also,
"defensive shifts" will be restricted.

Seems like they would shorten up the 1st - 2nd by at least 6 inches or likely more since 1st and 3rd are both inside the foul lines and if the back of second is still 90 feet then 6 inches would be taken off today's dimensions. The shift will have the biggest impact in my opinion...

It’s 90’ from back corner of first base to center of second. By making it 3” bigger you’d shorten it by about 4 1/2”— I say about because it’s an angle.

The bases were expanded for a host of reason. None of them were the contract with the manfuactuer. They aren't charging more for 3"

It hopefully encourages more stolen bases
Reduces contact between offense and defense
Should help eliminate oversliding.

I believe the bases are going to be 3" larger, (15" to 18") therefore the distance between 1st and 2nd...and 2nd and 3rd will shorten 3"...."Schutt" had the MLB base contract but financial concerns have enabled another concern (Rawlings I believe) to get the "base" contract with MLB next season....It's a HUGE $$ number, too! (Baseball is very very good to its vendors!)

The new bases are larger so potential contact by basemen and runners is minimized....
Also, a "pitch timer"will be added....I believe pitchers must deliver w/in 15 secs when bases empty, 20 secs with base runners....I think batters will only be allowed to step out of the batters box once per plate appearance....(these ideas have been experimented in AAA this past year....it is hopes game times will be reduced 15-20 minutes/ game.
Also,
"defensive shifts" will be restricted.
Decades ago, my uncle (pro baseball guy) advocated for circular bases

The bases were expanded for a host of reason. None of them were the contract with the manfuactuer. They aren't charging more for 3"

It hopefully encourages more stolen bases
Reduces contact between offense and defense
Should help eliminate oversliding.
The idea behind increasing base size was primarily a safety/injury issue.....The sidebar is that Schutt is fixing to go out of business.....the third factor is the size of the contract w/ MLB for furnishing bases....huge $$....
(as is the MLB contract for umpire equipment.....the $$ numbers...no wonder Wilson protects that contract!)

First should be a safety bag like little league where most injuries occur. Bases should be just above flush like home plate, beveled edges maybe 1/2 inch above the surface. Change the call on the bases where if the runner beats the tag he stays safe even if there is a slight " off the base " detected. These calls never happened till replay where the tag is kept on hoping there is an even slight separation from the base. How often do players break fingers sliding into bases that are 2" high and don't move a bit...

I am not the hugest baseball fan. I don't understand how or why the shift will be restricted? You got 7 players in the field and you should be able to put them wherever you want imo.

I don't understand how or why the shift will be restricted?
How: won't be able to have 3 or more infielders on one side of second base.
Why: balls that were hits in 1975 are no longer hits. Game after game are 4, 5 or 6 hitters. Boring. Multiple relievers are dominating the hitters, partly because hitters are mostly swinging for the fences. Homer or strikeout, well actually 5-6 Ks for every homer...

Reactions: DooBi
Why: balls that were hits in 1975 are no longer hits. Game after game are 4, 5 or 6 hitters. Boring. Multiple relievers are dominating the hitters, partly because hitters are mostly swinging for the fences. Homer or strikeout, well actually 5-6 Ks for every homer...
Sounds like part of the game to me, but like I said, I don't watch a ton of it.

My personal answer to why is because it has fundamentally changed the ethic of the game that if you do the right thing you generally get rewarded. That in turn has led to the drive to the true outcomes, which has made the game more boring

First should be a safety bag like little league where most injuries occur. Bases should be just above flush like home plate, beveled edges maybe 1/2 inch above the surface. Change the call on the bases where if the runner beats the tag he stays safe even if there is a slight " off the base " detected. These calls never happened till replay where the tag is kept on hoping there is an even slight separation from the base. How often do players break fingers sliding into bases that are 2" high and don't move a bit...
OK, but could you have your SS basically directly behind 2nd, and then shift your outfield to almost play no left fielder, move him to close to center, walk your right fielder up for a short outfield and move your CF over to right field area?

My issue with stolen bases. Is some infielders have been rewarded for essentially pulling runners hands/foot/legs off the bags.

OK, but could you have your SS basically directly behind 2nd, and then shift your outfield to almost play no left fielder, move him to close to center, walk your right fielder up for a short outfield and move your CF over to right field area?
Yes, but that takes time and allows for doubles where your OF is running away from.

The idea behind increasing base size was primarily a safety/injury issue.....The sidebar is that Schutt is fixing to go out of business.....the third factor is the size of the contract w/ MLB for furnishing bases....huge $$....
(as is the MLB contract for umpire equipment.....the $$ numbers...no wonder Wilson protects that contract!)

Rawlings bought Jack Corbett Hollywood bases...that is why they will be supplying the bases going forward.

Well you got one of three. The three I gave are the reasons cited by mlbpa and mlb. Yours a just made up

Well you got one of three. The three I gave are the reasons cited by mlbpa and mlb. Yours a just made up
Well, if you say so. My info came from a guy who finished second in the bidding. The bid became reality because Schutt is getting out of the business...if Schutt stays in business, they make the changes and keep the contract....The base size change was made primarily for safety purposes, per MLB player association negotiations.
The conversation I had was really not so much about the change but how damn lucrative contracts with MLB are...and how protective of these contracts MLB is. (I would assume that a lot of Schutt’s financial problems stem from football helmet litigations that are pending resolution. But that is my speculation.)

ADVERTISEMENT