ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

JP Estrella named to Under Armor All-Star event that's televised on ESPNU. Will take place about a week after his visit to Syracuse wraps up. No inside information just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him announce his college commitment during halftime of this.

JP Estrella named to Under Armor All-Star event that's televised on ESPNU. Will take place about a week after his visit to Syracuse wraps up. No inside information just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him announce his college commitment during halftime of this.

Derick Queen? I bet his friends are always giving him crap about bringing ice cream to practice.

Count me as one who would have really liked seeing Biliew in Black and Gold. He played with Payton, should have gone with the Hawks when he had the chance.

Fran can point to the guy on the right and discuss player development & what's possible at Iowa.

The guy on the left is important because of his Boston & East coast connections. As you can see in the tweet, he's a big Boston Celtics fan and pays tribute to Bill Russell (#6), who passed away over the weekend.

TJ Power, of course, is from Massachusetts. Go get him, Coach Eldridge.

#16 Overall Prospect (4 Star): JP Estrella

#21 Overall Prospect (4 Star): TJ Power

#126 Overall Prospect (3 Star): Owen Freeman

The link to the entire list of the 2023 Top 150 Basketball Recruits:

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/player/basketball/2023/

So that website is giving Iowa a 17% chance to sign Estrella? And we're fourth behind Tennessee? And Power at 15% behind four other schools. What are we getting so excited about? Forget my bridesmaid dress. Hell, we're ushers.

So that website is giving Iowa a 17% chance to sign Estrella? And we're fourth behind Tennessee? And Power at 15% behind four other schools. What are we getting so excited about? Forget my bridesmaid dress. Hell, we're ushers.
That website is brand new and trying to use an AI for predictions. Some of them are laughably wrong but I imagine, with all AI's, that it just needs a ton more data for it to actually be useful.

Reactions: chaneccooms
You seem to know what you're talking about, so I will calm down and see how things work out. I've been watch recruiting for so many years and there seem to be so few actual wins that I am used to finishing second or third with the recruit talking about how much he liked Iowa and McCaffery, but he thought his choice was the right place for him.

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I will calm down and see how things work out. I've been watch recruiting for so many years and there seem to be so few actual wins that I am used to finishing second or third with the recruit talking about how much he liked Iowa and McCaffery, but he thought his choice was the right place for him.
The thing that immediately showed their lack of credibility was with Pryce…..we know they’re off base there…at least the part I saw didn’t list Iowa.

Edit: Now that’s changed from listing Nebraska and Drake…

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild

At least we are in the wedding. And they clearly don't know that Fran is known as "the closer" when it comes to recruiting. ;)

I wouldn't pay much attention to the percentages. What I would pay attention to is that after his visit JP was following the entire Iowa basketball team (even the walk ons) on Instagram.

As far as the percentages go, at least they got the percentage correct for Duke.

27.4% Syracuse
24.0% Marquette
20.5% Tennessee
17.1 % Iowa
<1.0% Duke

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
It seems like Eldridge has made a huge positive impact in recruiting.

Note how coach gets this high up in the picture

IMG_6893.jpg

So do the parents get Hawkeye gear to wear for the photo? If they bought it themselves isn't that a good sign?
Pretty sure they get the gear from the university--the parents are also wearing similar team gear in the photos from the Tennessee visit and the Marquette visit.

Reactions: hawkfan1963
JP wants to make a decision before September 4th when he enrolls at Brewster Academy for his senior season.

Estrella is also in communication with Kansas and Gonzaga, but neither has pushed to schedule a visit.

The story, from Syracuse's perspective:

JP Estrella Previews Syracuse Basketball Official Visit​

One of the top recruits in the 2023 class is looking forward to getting a closer look at the Orange.
JP Estrella is one of the top bigs in the 2023 recruiting class. He took official visits to Marquette and Tennessee in June, and is fresh off of an official to Iowa this past weekend.

"The visit went really well," Estrella said. "I got to hang out with a ton of people. Coaching staff, players and all that. It was a great visit I thought. I really think it was better than I thought it was going to go honestly. I thought it was going to pretty good but it went really good, I think."

Now Estrella has his sights set on an official visit to Syracuse, which begins this weekend. He says the Orange staff is in touch on a regular basis including after his trip to check out the Hawkeyes.

"Syracuse has been talking to me since the Iowa visit," Estrella said. "They're super stoked to get me on campus and I'm really stoked to get on campus and get this official rockin' and rollin'.

"They really see me as a five man who can shoot the ball at a high clip. They want all five guys on the floor to be able to shoot the ball. I'm one of those guys, they think. They think my fast paced game can really fit in their offense. If they plug me into the middle of their 2-3 they think I can also be really effective in that area."

During communication with Estrella, Syracuse has emphasized how they develop their bigs including pointing to the improvement of current starting center Jesse Edwards.

"Definitely they've talked to me about that a little bit," Estrella said. "They definitely told me they really want to show me what they do when I get down there, which will be awesome to see. To see how they develop their bigs. They do model me after Jesse, the only thing is me shooting at a little higher clip."

Going into the visit, Estrella knows what he will be looking for in order to see if Syracuse is the right fit.

"The biggest thing for me is seeing the culture around the whole program," Estrella said. "Seeing how the players interact with each other. How the players interact with the coaches. That's really the biggest thing for me and the educational stuff. Those two things I'm really looking forward to because I've already been there a couple times and been to a couple games. So I know what the games are like, what the facilities are like. I'm anxious to see those couple things."

After his visit, Estrella plans to go home and take a step back to reset his mind. Then, he will weigh his options with his family and see if he is ready to make a decision. He told our Bryce Kelly that he wants to make a decision before September 4th when he enrolls at Brewster Academy for his senior season. Estrella is also in communication with Kansas and Gonzaga, but neither has pushed to schedule a visit.

Dad looks like 6'4 as well.

JP was gonna be 6'3 until he grew 8 inches over the last 2-3 years

was gonna be? that's like saying I was going to be 5'7" as that's what I was as a freshman but ended up 6'2" (graduated HS at 6')

Do some kids spurt and top out early? Sure, but many keep on growing thru there early 20's

Reactions: skydog0784

I think they got the Iowa & Nebby percentages right on Pryce. ;)

FZLU_AcUcAA-AEM

Reactions: perryhawk
I think they got the Iowa & Nebby percentages right on Pryce. ;)

FZLU_AcUcAA-AEM
Ah, the age old philosophical question:

Does this, or posters constantly saying it is an inevitable for that matter, really matter at all, if, in fact, a kid hasn't committed?

JQ Roberts off the board. Seems like Iowa and many other P6 teams backed off this summer for whatever reason.

I always liked him, but it just sounds like he never was able to develop a consistent jumper from the perimeter. That's supposedly why Indiana backed off of him, and Iowa may have done the same.

I would have taken JQ as a Hawkeye in a heartbeat….with everything he brings to the table I think we could live with a subpar jumper.

I thought there was genuine mutual interest.

Sherman Dillard offered JQ on Oct 29, 2021 after an open gym.

He unofficially visited Iowa on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game. What happened after that is anyone's guess.

LBvnOV2q

ADVERTISEMENT