ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

How Seye hasn't jumped at this opportunity is confusing
What's confusing about it? He's being heavily recruited by multiple Power 6 programs. Offers from Iowa, West Virginia, Arizona State, Cincinatti, Mizzou. He's had numerous coaches come through to talk with him at open gyms/practices since the recruiting period opened back up.

Reactions: icwesthawk
More offers might come but these are the 3 bigs left who Fran has offered.

(Offer #33 of 33) Saliou Seye (Iowa offered September 11, 2022)

PF, 7'0, 210, Ellsworth CC, Iowa Falls, IA (via Senegal)

(Offer #30 of 33)
Miles Heide (Iowa offered June 28, 2022)

PF, 6'8, 200, Snoqualmie, WA

(Offer #28 of 33) Kaden Cooper (Iowa offered June 7, 2022)

SF, 6'6", 175, Atlanta, GA

U can scratch Cooper off that list. Nothing linking him to Iowa that I've seen.

Reactions: Fitzhawk
U can scratch Cooper off that list. Nothing linking him to Iowa that I've seen.

Never know in recruiting. After all, Fran is da man. ;)

In all seriousness, filling this last scholarship has become much more difficult than expected.

And, of course, we all anticipate at least 1 early departure in 2023 (Kris, etc), so that could open up an additional scholarship to fill.

• Haha
Reactions: Fitzhawk
Looks like money talks.

Taison Chatman joins Devin Royal, Scotty Middleton and Austin Parks in Ohio State’s 2023 recruiting class.

One recruiting site has Ohio State's 2023 class ranked #5 overall in the country.

All that talent and a high-paid coach and they still underperform. Under Holtmann they've only finished once with a better record than Iowa, his first year. He makes almost a million more per year than McC and he recruits from one of the most talent-rich states in the B1G.

Never know in recruiting. After all, Fran is da man. ;)

In all seriousness, filling this last scholarship has become much more difficult than expected.

And, of course, we all anticipate at least 1 early departure in 2023 (Kris, etc), so that could open up an additional scholarship to fill.
Than expected? When (outside of a 1 on a million) has Fran closed out a class with a roar and not a silent fart?

We know Fran struggled (and failed) to land a big in the transfer portal because of NIL.

JP Estrella committed to Tennessee reportedly (and at least partly) because of NIL.

TJ Power might end up with an NIL deal similar to this one.

Than expected? When (outside of a 1 on a million) has Fran closed out a class with a roar and not a silent fart?
it is certainly a few years removed, but the class closing with Garza & Nunge might not have been a roar at the time but in retrospect may look like it. Similarly the scholarships to the Murray brothers weren't credited as a roar, but again might well in retrospect. I get this is more about "What have you done for me lately."

Reactions: BBHawk
We know Fran struggled (and failed) to land a big in the transfer portal because of NIL.

JP Estrella committed to Tennessee reportedly (and at least partly) because of NIL.

That may apply to individual recruits, but seems an oversimplification as a blanket statement. For example, was losing out in the recruitment of Osun Osunniyi to ISU NIL related? I personally doubt it. On the other hand, we can point to individual cases where it just as likely did. Just saying NIL isn't Fran's only issue with the portal usage.

Heide is probably going to either Washington State or San Diego State. Only OV on his schedule before his commitment decision.

Parker Friedrichsen was offer #17 of the 33 total offers Fran has handed out for the 2023 class. Iowa offered on July 25, 2021.

Parker visited Iowa City on October 16, 2021.

He originally had committed to Oklahoma State.

Here is the latest on his recruitment; the 3 contenders:

1. Notre Dame

While Notre Dame was the last one in, the second they offered, Friedrichsen’s ears perked up. He spoke highly of the system Notre Dame runs and how it leans toward shooters. He also is interested in playing in the ACC. Assistant Coach Anthony Solomon did a good job establishing and building the relationship quickly.

Notre Dame’s chances: 85 percent

2. Davidson

Davidson had the Steph Curry factor. Not only is Curry his favorite player, but he is also Under Armour’s featured basketball athlete. Friedrichsen’s KC Run GMC team is on the UAA Next Circuit. Friedrichsen took two visits within a two-month period to Davidson, the second time making sure his whole family got to see the campus.

Davidson’s chances: 10 percent

3. Nebraska

Nebraska also got two visits from Friedrichsen. Fred Hoiberg did a good job selling the pro-style system and showcasing the success he has had with guards.

Nebraska’s chances: 5 percent

Parker Friedrichsen was offer #17 of the 33 total offers Fran has handed out for the 2023 class. Iowa offered on July 25, 2021.

Parker visited Iowa City on October 16, 2021.

He originally had committed to Oklahoma State.

Here is the latest on his recruitment; the 3 contenders:

1. Notre Dame

While Notre Dame was the last one in, the second they offered, Friedrichsen’s ears perked up. He spoke highly of the system Notre Dame runs and how it leans toward shooters. He also is interested in playing in the ACC. Assistant Coach Anthony Solomon did a good job establishing and building the relationship quickly.

Notre Dame’s chances: 85 percent

2. Davidson

Davidson had the Steph Curry factor. Not only is Curry his favorite player, but he is also Under Armour’s featured basketball athlete. Friedrichsen’s KC Run GMC team is on the UAA Next Circuit. Friedrichsen took two visits within a two-month period to Davidson, the second time making sure his whole family got to see the campus.

Davidson’s chances: 10 percent

3. Nebraska

Nebraska also got two visits from Friedrichsen. Fred Hoiberg did a good job selling the pro-style system and showcasing the success he has had with guards.

Nebraska’s chances: 5 percent

Notre Dame it is.

He did get Jelly back. I know I'll get grief for posting that.🙂

He has Freeman coming in next year and will still have a decent group of forwards. I think focusing on what he can get is fine. I am still hoping that the kid from Ellsworth CC (Seye) comes to Iowa.

The orig post has been updated.

Of the 33 Fran has offered, 3 remain undecided.

Alabama appears to be the leader for Kaden Cooper followed by Kansas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Gonzaga.

Aaron Clark is down to Wake Forest or Miami.

Haven't heard anything lately on Saliou Seye.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
When looking ahead to next year.....we absolutely need another PF/C type of player that can contribute. That's my opinion/feel when we look at the roster and the potential and probable changes.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
When looking ahead to next year.....we absolutely need another PF/C type of player that can contribute. That's my opinion/feel when we look at the roster and the potential and probably changes.........

Agreed. If they can get Seye, great. If not, get someone from the transfer portal. I mean, Freeman coming in is great. I'm not convinced either Mulvey or Josh O will be more than spot minutes, even next year. I hope I'm wrong. Even if one is able, they could still use another 6'8-6'10 similar to the Murrays/Rebraca.

Heide is going to San Diego State.

Of those Fran has offered, Saliou Seye appears to be the only possible prospect remaining. l have not heard anything lately on his recruitment.

It will be interesting to see who ends up filling the 1 or 2 (assuming someone...Kris, etc...leaves early) remaining scholarships.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Agreed. If they can get Seye, great. If not, get someone from the transfer portal. I mean, Freeman coming in is great. I'm not convinced either Mulvey or Josh O will be more than spot minutes, even next year. I hope I'm wrong. Even if one is able, they could still use another 6'8-6'10 similar to the Murrays/Rebraca.

In your opinion, will Fran/Iowa be in a better position to land someone in the transfer portal next spring?

Anyone else can chime in, of course.

In your opinion, will Fran/Iowa be in a better position to land someone in the transfer portal next spring?

Anyone else can chime in, of course.
It depends on two things: NIL and how successful this season is.

One thing you can say about Fran is he works his butt off recruiting kids. The guy deserves to land one or two big fish in the upcoming recruiting classes. At the very least, you can say serious offensive talent is giving Fran an honest look (as opposed to the debacle we have with the football program).

how much does champ sports have to do with nil? Would they not pay him if he went elsewhere?

When it came to TJ Power, from what I have read, NIL played a factor in him choosing Duke. Duke already has a national brand and national championships to wow prospects with (and, yes, TJ said we was wowed on his Duke official visit). But now Duke is taking full advantage of NIL. Paolo Banchero, for example, reportedly made more than $1 million in his season with Duke before he was picked # 1 in the 2022 NBA draft.

You asked how much does Champs Sports have to do with NIL. Well, from what I have read, Champs Sports has been BOTH selective in who they deal with and aggressive when it comes to NIL. Champs Corporate Headquarters are in ACC/SEC country (Florida). They have a store in West Des Moines but the nearest store to Iowa City is in Moline IL. So, based on these and other factors (Iowa is not the brand that Duke is, etc.), if a player like TJ Power chose Iowa, I am not sure if Champs would be interested in doing an NIL deal (to answer your question if they would pay a 5 star player if he went somewhere other than Duke).

Back to Jared McCain, the Duke commit who signed with Champs. He's a 5 star, top 20 player in the 2023 class (just like TJ Power, who is a 5 star and #21). Jared has a huge social medial presence (1.7 million followers on TikTok, for starters). Combine that with the Duke national brand and I can see why Champs Sports was interested in him.

I found this Sep 21, 2022 story. Some excerpts:

“Jared McCain has done one heck of a job growing his own personal brand,” On3 national basketball analyst Joe Tipton said. “However, Duke will only strengthen it, especially in the NIL era.”

Champs has been aggressive in the NIL space. It announced a partnership with Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson on Tuesday (Sep 20). Miami basketball players Haley and Hanna Cavinder have played a heavy role in marketing since they signed back in December.

The company strategy is not changing any time soon.

“As NIL evolves, we’re looking forward to growing our roster of athlete partners and continue being a leading example for athlete partnerships in the space,” Champs Sports and Eastbay’s general manager Guy Harkless told Boardroom.

It depends on two things: NIL and how successful this season is.

One thing you can say about Fran is he works his butt off recruiting kids. The guy deserves to land one or two big fish in the upcoming recruiting classes. At the very least, you can say serious offensive talent is giving Fran an honest look (as opposed to the debacle we have with the football program).

This past spring it appeared Fran missed out on transfer portal kids because he did not have much to offer when it came to NIL opportunities. Will that be different next spring? Other than the SWARM collective, I am not sure what else he can offer.

Overall, Fran has a lot to offer (great system; playing time; he's put people in the NBA). I just wonder if he is going to continue to be severely hamstrung because he doesn't have "the cash" that these other programs are throwing around.

Several have stated that we lost out in the end on JP Estrella because Tennessee had better NIL opportunities for him.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
This past spring it appeared Fran missed out on transfer portal kids because he did not have much to offer when it came to NIL opportunities. Will that be different next spring? Other than the SWARM collective, I am not sure what else he can offer.

Overall, Fran has a lot to offer (great system; playing time; he's put people in the NBA). I just wonder if he is going to continue to be severely hamstrung because he doesn't have "the cash" that these other programs are throwing around.

Several have stated that we lost out in the end on JP Estrella because Tennessee had better NIL opportunities for him.
Right, that’s the big question. If Iowa can pony up the dough, Fran will land some bigger fish.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Right, that’s the big question. If Iowa can pony up the dough, Fran will land some bigger fish.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like other schools get NIL deals lined up for the prospect during the recruiting process (ie, if they sign with the school, the NIL deals are there waiting). Iowa players don't seem to get these deals lined up until after they have signed their LOI. If I am right, then this is a huge recruiting disadvantage.

Caitlin Clark is making bank, of course. But all of her deals (Hy-Vee, H&R Block, Topps, Nike, etc.) have come after she arrived on campus. I would love to know what her Nike deal is worth. Good for her!

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT