ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

Some other notes about Joseph (JP) Estrella

* Iowa offered on Dec 16, 2021.

* His junior year (2021-2022), he played at South Portland High School in Maine (they are a public school).

* Connections: His senior year (2022-2023) he will be playing at Brewster Academy, the same HS as 2022 commit Dasonte Bowen.

* More connections: Iowa has offered 5 prospects who will all be attending Brewster Academy in 2022-2023: Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, Taylor Bowen and JP Estrella.

Can we land at least 1 of the 5?

The original post is updated.

Fran has made 25 offers for the 2023 class.

5 have committed somewhere else
1 has committed to Iowa (Owen Freeman)

19 prospects are still Undecided

interesting. I think most posters on here had written Taylor Bowen off. I mean, Fran sucks at recruiting (from what I have been told on here) and he apparently can't land kids like this (Taylor is ranked the #31 prospect in the country). Sarcasm intended.

Another thing to remember: Iowa was his FIRST high major offer. Iowa offered on April 2, 2020.

Last edited:
The Brewster Academy connection must be strong right now. Bowen would be a huge get.

Totally agree on the pipeline Fran has created to Brewster Academy. Fran landing Dasonte Bowen was huge, of course. And that is why I asked a few posts above if Iowa could land at least 1 of these 5 who all will be attending Brewster Academy in 2022-2023: Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, Taylor Bowen and JP Estrella.

@Fitzhawk and @BBHawk responded with a laughing emoji, obviously thinking that was impossible. Fitz has done this every time I have brought this connection up, actually. Well, who's laughing now?

Last edited:
Totally agree on the pipeline Fran has created to Brewster Academy. Fran landing Dasonte Bowen was huge, of course. And that is why I asked a few posts above if Iowa could land at least 1 of these 5 who all will be attending Brewster Academy in 2022-2023: Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, Taylor Bowen and JP Estrella.

@Fitzhawk and @BBHawk responded with a laughing emoji, obviously thinking that was impossible. Fitz has done this every time I have brought this connection up, actually. Well, who's laughing now?

I did not add a laughing emogee for HawkHoops80's post. He's a respected and valuable poster.

I often laugh at your posts because you just regurgitate the same stuff over and over to bump your posts. You're a spammer.

I laugh because you bring up every single recruit who's ever been offered. This kid is giving lip service at the moment, until he actually visits AND we hear from multiple sources/analysts that Iowa is a finalist, AND he picks Iowa, it doesn't matter.

When I was single, I got A LOT of numbers from ladies when out and about. If that's all that comes from it, does it effing matter? (The answer is no.) We can verbally fellate Fran each time a recruit mentions Iowa, but that shit doesn't matter until they are on the floor, IN AN IOWA UNIFORM, against the first cupcake of the season.

For every recruit in your post that doesn't pick Iowa, you donate $200 to a charity, I'll donate $75. Sound good? Estrella might be there, the others are akin to dreaming about what you'd do with a winning Powerball ticket.

The general information you provide is great, it really is, but the RAH RAH IOWA unrealistic shit is just, well, beyond hilarious.

Last edited:
I laugh because you bring up every single recruit who's ever been offered.

Not correct. I have only been bringing up 5 recruits, who Fran has offered, who all will be attending Brewster Academy in 2022-2023.

Estrella might be there, the others are akin to dreaming about what you'd do with a winning Powerball ticket.

JP Estrella was quoted saying that his mom loves what Fran/Iowa did with Luka Garza.

And, as mentioned above, Taylor Bowen loves what Fran/Iowa did with Keegan and Kris.

I was only asking if Iowa had a shot at 1 of the 5 Brewster Academy kids; heck, it might be 2 of the 5, especially if Brewster Academy alum Dasonte Bowen is also in JP's and Taylor's ears.

So, I definitely think we have a better shot with these Brewster Academy prospects than winning the Powerball.

I laugh because you bring up every single recruit who's ever been offered. This kid is giving lip service at the moment, until he actually visits AND we hear from multiple sources/analysts that Iowa is a finalist, AND he picks Iowa, it doesn't matter.
If you read the article from the tweet that was posted it says that Bol Bowen is going to visit Iowa this summer. That could just be lip service, but then he goes on with that quote about how much Iowa utilized the Murray's and how that's exciting for him.

You're right in that it ultimately is probably a long shot (his personal trainer's father played for Providence and he's taken multiple UV's there), but getting him on campus certainly doesn't hurt Iowa's chances. He's also quoted in saying he wants to commit before the end of summer so that may help since he hasn't been recruited heavily by Blue Bloods quite yet.

When I was single, I got A LOT of numbers from ladies when out and about. If that's all that comes from it, does it effing matter? (The answer is no.) We can verbally fellate Fran each time a recruit mentions Iowa, but that shit doesn't matter until they are on the floor, IN AN IOWA UNIFORM, against the first cupcake of the season.

For every recruit in your post that doesn't pick Iowa, you donate $200 to a charity, I'll donate $75. Sound good? Estrella might be there, the others are akin to dreaming about what you'd do with a winning Powerball ticket.

The general information you provide is great, it really is, but the RAH RAH IOWA unrealistic shit is just, well, beyond hilarious.
So you’re saying that you couldn’t close the deal with the ladies….sorry, brah.

Reactions: Fitzhawk
I will donate $50 for every additional recruit we get from Brewster Academy, to the swarm collective IF Fran pays me $50 for each offer we don’t land. Deal?

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Crazy is arguing with the moderators about whether you broke a story that they posted before you. Crazy is obsessively pushing your posts to the top of the board.

You're sick. Get help.

Crazy is that you can't even get your stories straight and are posting incorrect information. The truth? A person from the Lounge (not me!) posted the info on Owen Freeman transferring to Moline on May 13 (Tom Kakert said he posted the story on May 10 in the Lounge). I never claimed to have broken this story; I simply said the info was posted on the free board on May 13 BY SOMEONE ELSE.

Crazy is you consistently and obsessively spamming the boards with your nonsense and lies.

You clearly have a mental illness. And you might be more than just old and dumb. Get help and get medicated. We would all appreciate it.

I think it's clear that Fran is working Brewster Academy specifically, and that he feels the connections with Ogundele and Bowen can help bring others into the fold. Thus its fair to think we would have a better chance with them than we normally would.

Whether we can land one is another story, as Top 100 kids from out of state are fairly difficult for us, but Bowen and Estrella seem like we'd have a shot - maybe 25% on Estrella and 30% on Bowen depending on how many officials he takes.

I think it's clear that Fran is working Brewster Academy specifically, and that he feels the connections with Ogundele and Bowen can help bring others into the fold. Thus its fair to think we would have a better chance with them than we normally would.

Whether we can land one is another story, as Top 100 kids from out of state are fairly difficult for us, but Bowen and Estrella seem like we'd have a shot - maybe 25% on Estrella and 30% on Bowen depending on how many officials he takes.
If I remember correctly, I don’t think Ogundele was a product of Brewster. JO and DB were teammates before Bowen left for Brewster. So he’s the only kid we have landed from there.

If I remember correctly, I don’t think Ogundele was a product of Brewster. JO and DB were teammates before Bowen left for Brewster. So he’s the only kid we have landed from there.
You are correct, Josh went to Worcester Academy: https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/josh-ogundele/

So the "pipeline" is Dasonte. While I am really glad that Iowa finally got a kid from there, unfortunately McC has struck out many more times than he has succeeded there. I hope that this recruiting class is a turning point. 🤞

Reactions: Fitzhawk
You are correct, Josh went to Worcester Academy: https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/josh-ogundele/

So the "pipeline" is Dasonte. While I am really glad that Iowa finally got a kid from there, unfortunately McC has struck out many more times than he has succeeded there. I hope that this recruiting class is a turning point. 🤞
Yes every single coach “strikes out” more often than they land the recruit. Every coach offers more kids than they sign. Holding Fran to a higher standard is ridiculous.

Yes every single coach “strikes out” more often than they land the recruit. Every coach offers more kids than they sign. Holding Fran to a higher standard is ridiculous.
Not my intent. Don't get you knickers in a knot. 🙂
I just meant that Iowa has only got one kid out of there after several tries. I commend McC for his perseverance.

FWIW, I'd probably put Estrella as a much higher percentage than Bowen. Estrella's family is big Garza fans.

The other Brewster offers:
Buzelis released top 5 last week: Kentucky, UNC, Wake, Flo St, G League
Ducharme has visits this month to Xavier, Syracuse and Penn St
Clark I haven't read much. Pretty quiet recruitment.

FWIW, I'd probably put Estrella as a much higher percentage than Bowen. Estrella's family is big Garza fans.

You have some good info HawkHoops80 (still my favorite IA team ever for obvious reasons by the way).

Keep ‘em coming!

You have some good info HawkHoops80 (still my favorite IA team ever for obvious reasons by the way).

Keep ‘em coming!
FWIW, 99% of my info just comes from following recruits via Twitter. Most guys tweet all their visits and offers and will retweet any pertinent articles. I don't really follow other sports too closely so it's a lot easier to keep track of the 10-20 guys Iowa is closely recruiting in basketball than say the 100+ that football is recruiting. The folks that follow football recruiting are a different breed.

FWIW, 99% of my info just comes from following recruits via Twitter. Most guys tweet all their visits and offers and will retweet any pertinent articles. I don't really follow other sports too closely so it's a lot easier to keep track of the 10-20 guys Iowa is closely recruiting in basketball than say the 100+ that football is recruiting. The folks that follow football recruiting are a different breed.
Yea good stuff 80 and keep it coming. And for Franis too with the info, much appreciated....twitter and all.

I have zero time for the bickering or trolling posts and these threads get long so it's tough for me to follow all the info in Fran's threads but like today, and I did see some of this first in the Lounge about the Taylor Bol Bowen news which triggers me to think, I bet maybe Tom or Franis or 80 and others (DanHawk, Perry, Hooper etc) have more info in the Basketball forum...that's how it usually works and I can just jump to the end page of Fran's threads to see his info or 80's info and others which is usually more in dept stuff....

That I trust too.....ya gotta trust the info....it sounds like Bowen is coming to visit Iowa City and if he does, that's a good thing.....

Speaking of Fran and his connections, don't forget about the BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club) connection, which was a big part in landing Dasonte Bowen.

TJ Power (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC.

Courtney Eldridge and his BABC connections will hopefully help us land T.J. Power , who Iowa offered on Aug 27, 2020. TJ is from Shrewsbury, MA. TJ officially visited Iowa City the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school TJ visited.

Correct. Dasonte Bowen played with Josh Ogundele at Worcester Academy in 2020 before heading to Brewster Academy.

In case anyone missed it, this is a good story from Tom Kakert. Iowa offered JP Estrella on Dec 16, 2021.

"One place I really want to get to is Iowa....My interest in Iowa is pretty high. I want to get there and see the campus and spend more time with the coaches.”

“My mom is a big fan of Luka Garza and Iowa did a great job with him and really helped him develop into a great player.”

The full FREE story is here:

Speaking of Fran and his connections, don't forget about the BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club) connection, which was a big part in landing Dasonte Bowen.

TJ Power (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC.

Courtney Eldridge and his BABC connections will hopefully help us land T.J. Power , who Iowa offered on Aug 27, 2020. TJ is from Shrewsbury, MA. TJ officially visited Iowa City the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school TJ visited.

Yes, that was my confusion with Ogundele. Thanks!

I am VERY high on Estrella, would be great to land him.

Nice story on the top prospects in the state of Illinois.

Here are some excerpts, focusing on who Iowa has offered or is watching. Note the high praise for Brock Harding, who the writer says is definitely one of the top point guards in the state.

Top Class of 2023 players from Spring, Illinois Edition

There were some breakout performances in the Spring, along with players who cemented their spots in the rankings. These are by their play only, not rankings based.

Class of 2023 only. Here we go:

#1: Owen Freeman, Midwest Pro Academy (Iowa Commit): Class of 2023 Iowa commit 6'10" forward showed the total package all Spring. His exquisite footwork in scoring on the interior with drop step dunks, finishing with either hand, to stepping out and hitting threes for the Top club team in Illinois. Averaged a double/double for the Spring solidified his top ranking in Class of 2023. Transferring to Moline from Bradley Bourbonnais to make them a top contender for coveted Illinois Class 4A State Title.

#8, Cameron Christie, Illinois Wolves (Iowa offered on June 15, 2021): Class of 2023 6'6" combo guard played more off the ball this Spring and showed he was excellent at it. Nice catch and shoot from three, two dribble pull-ups, and is becoming a better finisher at the rim. Got after it defensively guarding multiple spots on the wing this Spring. Leader for Rolling Meadows who will be a serious contender for Class 4A State Title.

#9, Asa Thomas, Illinois Wolves (Iowa offered on June 30, 2021): Class of 2023 6'6" wing is a nasty catch and shoot three point shooter. Game has improved off the dribble as he has a Euro step around defenders in the paint and finishes them at a high level. Good rebounder and passer to cutters off the ball. Will try to lead Lake Forest to a North Suburban Title.

#10, Brock Harding, Midwest Pro Academy (Iowa is watching): Class of 2023 6'0" point guard jumped into the consciousness of people like me in the Chicago Area this Spring. He's definitely one of the top point guards in the State. He's an improved three point shooter, can get off the floor and dunk two handed as well as one handed. Keeps his dribble, probes the defense for nigh passes to teammates. Good at feeding the post and is a good defender. Moline will be a contender for Class 4A State title as he will team with Owen Freeman.

The Full Story:

Last edited:

Someone to add to your Brewster list Fran: Carey Booth. He'll be playing for Brewster this coming year as well. He and Taylor Bol Bowen were just selected to the Pangos Top 30 Game today:

Also this ship has long sailed; but Iowa offered fairly early on Booker and he has since blown up. Seems like Mich St or Indiana are real possibilities if he stays in Big Ten, but I think he could go to any school in the country if he wants or the G League could be real possibility.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT