ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

Lol. Nah, brah. I wasn’t mocking his game. He’s a fun player to watch highlights of whose moves resemble Jason Williams. The facetious part was me saying he’s obviously going to be as good as White Chocolate.
I actually think Harding could develop into a very good "off the bench/change of pace" type of player at the right major college program... including possibly Iowa. Right now, all the big schools are taking wait and see approach so the coaches aren't seeing his next-level value yet. If Fran sees it and offers, I obviously trust his judgment,....although I hope Fran is looking for more Tony Perkins type players to sign.

Fran is in Spartanburg, SC this weekend (April 22-24) for the Adidas 3SSB event.

Iowa offered Taison Chatman on Aug 13, 2020. He was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

Iowa offered Pryce Sandfort on Oct 16, 2021 when he was on a visit.

Iowa offered Boden Kapke on Jan 19, 2022. He visited on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game)

Taison, Boden and Pryce are teammates
on D1 Minnesota 17U. As noted, all 3 have made visits to Iowa City.

Last edited:
Fran and his staff were also watching Pryce Sandfort at the Adidas 3SSB (3 Stripes Select) event that was held from April 8-10 in Indianapolis, IN.

He is opening a lot of eyes. More offers are coming.

Check this out & watch:

Reactions: Sheahawk
Iowa has coaches watching prospects at the Nike EYBL event being held Apr 22-24 in Indianapolis, IN.

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021.

According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

Connections:
TJ (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club).

This morning: BABC vs Team Durant. Looks like TJ put on a show this morning.

Reactions: perryhawk
Unfortunately, the oldest story in the book is McCaffery being the first to offer a kid before he blows up and then takes his talent elsewhere.

Reactions: CarterHall
Fran was watching these 2 players this afternoon:

(1) Iowa offered Matas Buzelis on June 15, 2021. He visited on October 16, 2021

(2) Iowa offered Taylor Bowen on April 2, 2020. Iowa was his FIRST high major offer.

Connections:
Iowa has offered Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, JP Estrella and Taylor Bowen; all 5 will be attending the same high school (Brewster Academy) in 2022-2023 as 2022 commit Dasonte Bowen.

Fran is in Spartanburg, SC this weekend (April 22-24) for the Adidas 3SSB event.

Iowa offered Taison Chatman on Aug 13, 2020. He was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

Iowa offered Pryce Sandfort on Oct 16, 2021 when he was on a visit.

Iowa offered Boden Kapke on Jan 19, 2022. He visited on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game)

Taison, Boden and Pryce are teammates
on D1 Minnesota 17U. As noted, all 3 have made visits to Iowa City.

This is a kid that we haven't seen a lot of hype on......but he is really good. I have no idea what our chances are, but he would be a great get.

Perry, I think we have some good things in our favor when it comes to Taison Chatman.

(1) Iowa was in on him early; Iowa offered on Aug 13, 2020.

(2) Did you know that he has visited already? He was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

(3) Taison, Pryce Sandfort and Boden Kapke (Iowa has offered all 3) are teammates on D1 Minnesota 17U. So, it's pretty easy for Fran to get to and watch his games.

(4) He has stated he loves Iowa's fast style of play.

The one negative? He is from Fridley, MN, just a short drive from Williams Arena.

Last edited:
  • Love
Chatman seems very similar to Dasante Bowen size wise and stylistically but could be more of a scoring combo guard whereas Bowen is a natural PG who doesn’t mind distributing.

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021.

TJ (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club).

Check this out & watch:

Check this out & watch:

He's a similar size and similar athleticism to Peyton Sandfort.....TJ looks like a better ball handler but Peyton might be a better shooter?

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

Check this out & watch:

This BABC connection helped land Dasonte Bowen. Will it help land TJ?

Last edited:
I just Bowen is going to be a next great point guard something we haven't had for a while. Don't get I love Joe t tough defense but no offense JBo great shooter when hot but a defensive liability. Young standfort I feel is a better than his brother.

The orig post has been updated.

The roster is continually changing.

Where things stand right now:

2023-2024 Roster (10 on Scholarship; 3 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6"10" C Owen Freeman

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)--has played 2 years (through 2022) in college, first at William Penn & then Kirkwood CC; a 5'9"combo guard; on May 5, 2022, it was announced that he would be joining the Iowa roster as a walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Last edited:
Iowa is keeping an eye on/ has interest in Brock Harding. Kirk Speraw watched him play in a game in person on Jan 12, 2022. Brock then visited Iowa for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game.

Brock was very impressive again this past weekend in Dallas. The only knock on him is his height. But, as you can see by the comments, he continues to blow by defenders with his quickness.

#32 in the video, of course, is Owen Freeman.

Check these out & Watch:

Last edited:
Iowa is keeping an eye on/ has interest in Brock Harding. Kirk Speraw watched him play in a game in person on Jan 12, 2022. Brock then visited Iowa for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game.

Brock was very impressive again this past weekend.

Check these out & Watch:

I have a feeling this young man could very well end up being a Hawkeye.

Reactions: Franisdaman
From the reports this kid (Brock) appears to be pretty quick and otherwise fairly athletic.....he is listed at 6 ft. So, I am curious to see how much he grows between his junior and senior year of HS....I wonder if anyone knows his parents and how tall they might be?

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Loyola of Chicago, Drake, and St. Louis are probably his 3 best offers. Nothing above a mid-major yet. His size is his biggest detriment. I have a feeling that Iowa will wait on this one.

With a good chance that Pryce Sandfort jumps on board, he could be a point forward. Similar vision and ball handling ability to Harding but an even better shooter and he's at least a half a foot taller.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
His release reminds me of Jordan's. 🙂

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Pryce Sandfort, Taison Chatman & Boden Kapke had good weekends, too.

The 3 of them are teammates on D1 Minnesota 17U.

Iowa offered Taison on Aug 13, 2020. He was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

Iowa offered Boden on Jan 19, 2022. He visited on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game).

Check these out & watch:

Last edited:
Iowa offered Gus Yalden on July 8, 2020.

He unofficially visited Iowa on Sat June 12, 2021.

He took official visits to Nebby and Rutgers in October; he officially visited Wisconsin on May 4.

I missed an offer.

Iowa offered Papa Kante on Jan 27, 2022. At that time, he said this: “Iowa’s message was great. They say I have a lot potential to be good and they really love my energy on and off the court.”

Rivals reports him with 14 offers,
including Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, TCU, Seton Hall, Providence, Miami (FL), Georgia, Georgetown and East Carolina.

Here are some highlights posted in Sep & Feb, 2021:

ADVERTISEMENT