ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

Good story on Brock Harding. Brock and Owen Freeman are AAU teammates so every time Fran goes to see Owen Freeman play, Fran gets to see Brock, as well.

Brock plans on officially visiting Colorado State (end of July) and Loyola this summer. He wants to see St. Louis as well and could end up checking out more campuses.

His size (6'0," 160 pounds), as we know, is the main issue. “If some high majors get involved, I may visit some of those as well,” he said.

Iowa, Butler and Oregon State are the high majors he’s hearing from the most.

The Full Story:

@GunnerHawk , if Kris is not on the 2023-2024 roster (which is highly likely), we would have 4 openings, not 6.

Where things stand right now:

2023-2024 Roster (10 on Scholarship; 3 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6"10" C Owen Freeman

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge (assistant coach Courtney Eldridge's son)--has played 2 years (through 2022) in college, first at William Penn & then Kirkwood CC; a 5'9"combo guard; on May 5, 2022, it was announced that he would be joining the Iowa roster as a walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

@NevadaHawk

Regarding Joseph (JP) Estrella, Iowa offered on Dec 16, 2021.

I think we have a shot with him based on Brewster Academy connections.

His junior year (2021-2022), he played at South Portland High School in Maine (they are a public school).

His senior year (2022-2023) he will be playing at Brewster Academy, the same HS as 2022 commit Dasonte Bowen.

And what's more interesting: Iowa has offered these other 4 players who will be attending Brewster Academy this upcoming season: Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, and Taylor Bowen.

Last edited:
good question. not sure
Yes, many times. They're both exceptional players. As an Iowa fan, I'd love to see Brock in black and Gold. Some Moline old timers are saying Brock may be Molines best player ever. That takes in quite a few Iowa and NBA players too. I think he's getting disrespected because of Bohannan's perceived lack of defense. Lack of height does have it's limitations, but there is no question that this young man is so much faster and quicker then Jordan and that alone can cover up many pitfalls.
I believe a few on here have stated or at least has indicated that his family are staunch Illini fans.
The kid is electric and would definitely be a tremendous player for Iowa if Fran offers him and he excepts, I also think Owen Freemen would approve.

Yes, many times. They're both exceptional players. As an Iowa fan, I'd love to see Brock in black and Gold. Some Moline old timers are saying Brock may be Molines best player ever. That takes in quite a few Iowa and NBA players too. I think he's getting disrespected because of Bohannan's perceived lack of defense. Lack of height does have it's limitations, but there is no question that this young man is so much faster and quicker then Jordan and that alone can cover up many pitfalls.
I believe a few on here have stated or at least has indicated that his family are staunch Illini fans.
The kid is electric and would definitely be a tremendous player for Iowa if Fran offers him and he excepts, I also think Owen Freemen would approve.
Moline's going to be very good next year--Freeman is moving and playing with Brock and Moline next year. I'd imagine that Harding will certainly be fully scouted by Iowa if an offer ever comes.
I would guess that the thing holding them back from offering is that Ulis technically doesn't run out of eligibility until after the '24-25 season due to his COVID year. That means Harding would have 2 seasons of having 2 PGs in front of him most likely. I still think you take him if he's willing.
I don't think the COVID year thing is talked about enough. We could very realistically have a core starting 3 of Ulis/Bowen, Perkins, and Patrick for the next 3 seasons as our perimeter. If either Ogundele or Mulvey develop into a nice player, this could really be a good 3 year cycle with our current guards/wings.

thanks for your feed back.

and Owen Freeman definitely loves the kid

From what I have seen, the kid is tremendous with the ball, has a great handle, and is a scorer.

A question for you and for anyone else:

There is concern on here that because of his size, he would not be able to guard B1G / Power 5 guards. Any thoughts on this? Based on what Brock has said in stories I have seen, this appears to be the main concern of Power 5 schools like Iowa. Are there any other concerns with his game?

Dasonte Bowen and Brock could be a really good 1-2 punch for Iowa.

Moline's going to be very good next year--Freeman is moving and playing with Brock and Moline next year. I'd imagine that Harding will certainly be fully scouted by Iowa if an offer ever comes.
I would guess that the thing holding them back from offering is that Ulis technically doesn't run out of eligibility until after the '24-25 season due to his COVID year. That means Harding would have 2 seasons of having 2 PGs in front of him most likely. I still think you take him if he's willing.
I don't think the COVID year thing is talked about enough. We could very realistically have a core starting 3 of Ulis/Bowen, Perkins, and Patrick for the next 3 seasons as our perimeter. If either Ogundele or Mulvey develop into a nice player, this could really be a good 3 year cycle with our current guards/wings.

Is Owen's family moving or just Owen?

That's an interesting development

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
Pryce Sandfort, Boden Kapke and Taison Chatman continue to impress.

All 3 have Iowa offers and are teammates on D1 Minnesota 17U

Pryce & Boden visited Iowa City on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game).

Taison was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

Some Moline old timers are saying Brock may be Molines best player ever.
Wow ... this would have to include the likes of Acie Earl and Steve Kuberski, who were both drafted by the Celtics. Kuberski has 2 Championship rings. This kid must be a phenom.

Last edited:
I really like Estrella, fwiw. Needs strength, but has a great skill for getting the ball in the hoop from around the rim, along with his good face up game and overall agility. With big guys often times they can score in HS with basic power moves around the hoop or just using length, but in college they need to score over guys just as big or bigger, and so having multiple ways to get shots off inside of 6 feet using 1 hand is very critical (and the touch to make them). He has that.

Wow ... this would have to include the likes of Acie Earl and Steve Kuberski, who were both drafted by the Celtics. This kid must be a phenom.
The kid is lightning quick, has eyes behind his head, and can score from anywhere in the offensive zone, what's not to like?

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
From what I have seen, the kid is tremendous with the ball, has a great handle, and is a scorer.

A question for you and for anyone else:

There is concern on here that because of his size, he would not be able to guard B1G / Power 5 guards. Any thoughts on this? Based on what Brock has said in stories I have seen, this appears to be the main concern of Power 5 schools like Iowa. Are there any other concerns with his game?

Dasonte Bowen and Brock could be a really good 1-2 punch for Iowa.
I’m picturing a slightly bigger Brody Boyd. Good bench player. If he’s starting then your probably in trouble.

I really like Estrella, fwiw. Needs strength, but has a great skill for getting the ball in the hoop from around the rim, along with his good face up game and overall agility. With big guys often times they can score in HS with basic power moves around the hoop or just using length, but in college they need to score over guys just as big or bigger, and so having multiple ways to get shots off inside of 6 feet using 1 hand is very critical (and the touch to make them). He has that.

Looks like a smart kid, based on the Harvard offer.

And his offer list is pretty impressive: Iowa, Illinois, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Syracuse, Providence, Penn State, Notre Dame, Missouri, Marquette, Boston College and Harvard.

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021.

According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

Connections: TJ (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club).

This is a good story with some Q&A.

Some excerpts:

Phenom: Who would you say has really been continuing to recruit you hard since offering?
Power: Iowa, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Indiana, Stanford, Penn State, Xavier, USC, Notre Dame, Boston College, Providence, and Penn have all been on me hard.

Phenom: Have you made any visits to schools in the past?
Power: Iowa officially. Virginia Tech, Providence, Boston College, and UConn unofficially.

Phenom: How was that official visit to Iowa? When did you go and what do you remember about it?
Power: Last October. It was a great visit. I really liked Coach McCaffery and the culture there.

Phenom: How were those other unofficial visits you took? Does anything stand out about them?
Power: They were all really good. I’m just blessed to be in this position.

Phenom: Do you have any timeframe of when you might want to narrow your list down or decide?
Power: I’ll probably cut my list in the fall and decide before my high school season starts.

The Full Story:

Reactions: perryhawk
This is a story on The Top 10 players in Illinois.

Iowa has offered 3 of them and is watching Brock:

Owen Freeman

Cam Christie

Asa Thomas

Brock Harding

Link:

Iowa offered Taison Chatman on Aug 13, 2020.

He and his dad visited on Nov 5 for the Slippery Rock game.

Taison, Pryce Sandfort & Boden Kapke are teammates on D1 Minnesota 17U. Fran has offered all 3.

These are highlights from the "Battle at the Lakes" held last weekend in Minneapolis.

Check this out & watch:

Last edited:
Iowa offered Boden Kapke on Jan 19, 2022. He visited on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game)

Boden, Pryce Sandfort & Taison Chatman are teammates on D1 Minnesota 17U.

These are highlights from the "Battle at the Lakes" held last weekend in Minneapolis.

Check this out & Watch:

Iowa offered JaQualon (JQ) Roberts on Oct 29, 2021.

He unofficially visited on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game.

Can Fran pull him out of Bloomington, IN?

His thoughts from a May 6 story:

TDH: Who are some of the other schools you are talking to right now?

JQR — “Iowa, I’ve been talking to Coach (Sherman) Dillard and Coach (Fran) McCaffery a lot. Butler, I’m going to talk to Coach Thad Matta in a couple days. I’ve been talking with Coach (Dave) Ragland from Butler as well. Recently I got a call from Ohio State. I’ve been talking to Virginia Tech recently, and also Notre Dame a little bit. Marquette was my first official visit and I’ve talked a lot with them as well.”

TDH: Do you have a timeline in mind for making a decision. Are you trying to stay flexible right now?

JQR — “I’m flexible right now, but it’s definitely on my mind. I’d like to commit sometime before my senior year. We’ll see. I’m going to go through this process each week at a time and see what happens.”

TDH: I know you are very close with your family. How important will staying close to home be in your decision?

JQR — “At the end of the day it’s my decision, but having them there would be a great idea. They’ve been with me through my whole journey. My mom has been so supportive of my basketball endeavors. She has been to almost every single tournament she can. So that would be a great thing, but whichever school is ultimately the best fit, that’s the one I’m going to pick.

I don't know a lot about BB, but it seemed like Brock Harding's shot starts from his chest. In college won't that get blocked a lot - especially since he is short to begin with.?

I don't know a lot about BB, but it seemed like Brock Harding's shot starts from his chest. In college won't that get blocked a lot - especially since he is short to begin with.?
Higher is better - I froze the video on his baseline 3 and I think his release point is fairly high, and his release speed is decent. He does release it out in front instead of over his head so it is a bit close to the defender. I’d guess if you compare his release to Bohannon that this may be the bigger difference but I didn’t confirm.

Overall it’s not bad - fairly average I’d say although if I was his height I may prefer a release closer to over my head, but some smaller kids develop a release early on that helps them get the ball to the rim.

Iowa offered JaQualon (JQ) Roberts on Oct 29, 2021.

He unofficially visited on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game.

Can Fran pull him out of Bloomington, IN?

His thoughts from a May 6 story:

TDH: Who are some of the other schools you are talking to right now?

JQR — “Iowa, I’ve been talking to Coach (Sherman) Dillard and Coach (Fran) McCaffery a lot. Butler, I’m going to talk to Coach Thad Matta in a couple days. I’ve been talking with Coach (Dave) Ragland from Butler as well. Recently I got a call from Ohio State. I’ve been talking to Virginia Tech recently, and also Notre Dame a little bit. Marquette was my first official visit and I’ve talked a lot with them as well.”

TDH: Do you have a timeline in mind for making a decision. Are you trying to stay flexible right now?

JQR — “I’m flexible right now, but it’s definitely on my mind. I’d like to commit sometime before my senior year. We’ll see. I’m going to go through this process each week at a time and see what happens.”

TDH: I know you are very close with your family. How important will staying close to home be in your decision?

JQR — “At the end of the day it’s my decision, but having them there would be a great idea. They’ve been with me through my whole journey. My mom has been so supportive of my basketball endeavors. She has been to almost every single tournament she can. So that would be a great thing, but whichever school is ultimately the best fit, that’s the one I’m going to pick.

That video shows a bit more moves off pivots around the rim that were nice. He can score from all 3 levels but I’d bet he’s not efficient outside 12 feet. Wish we had season stats to confirm. Has odd foot placement on jumpers - a bit knock kneed.Very aggressive and athletic attacking the rim however. Not optimistic he would become a college 3 point shooter at the longer distance with that form.

That video shows a bit more moves off pivots around the rim that were nice. He can score from all 3 levels but I’d bet he’s not efficient outside 12 feet. Wish we had season stats to confirm. Has odd foot placement on jumpers - a bit knock kneed.Very aggressive and athletic attacking the rim however. Not optimistic he would become a college 3 point shooter at the longer distance with that form.

Ask and you shall receive. 38% on 80 attempts this past year from 3.
And I agree, the 3 point shooting is what concerns me which is why he hasn't been as recruited as hard by Indiana and others.

And I agree, the 3 point shooting is what concerns me which is why he hasn't been as recruited as hard by Indiana and others.
His form looked ok to me, not that I’m an expert. I don’t think 38% is bad for a high school junior. I’d expect that rate to go up 4-6% as a senior. Great athleticism and good enough ball handling skills.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Not bad - thanks!

Like Perkins he doesn’t have to be a volume 3 point shooter, just enough of a threat to set up his drive and ensure spacing for others.

The college line being significantly deeper may be a concern for coaches as to how that % could change at the next level.I do like him in general though.

Not bad - thanks!

Like Perkins he doesn’t have to be a volume 3 point shooter, just enough of a threat to set up his drive and ensure spacing for others.

The college line being significantly deeper may be a concern for coaches as to how that % could change at the next level.I do like him in general though.
Yeah I think if he can keep it to ~35% then he'd impose enough of a threat that defenders have to close out and play him honest. I really think he'd excel here in Fran's transition-first offense. Like Tony, he may start off slow offensively but that will come as he gets more comfortable with the pace of the college game. If anyones interested, he has his own Youtube channel where he posts highlights from all of his AAU and high school games. He seems to have a very supportive and vocal mother in his life who films all of them.

Higher is better - I froze the video on his baseline 3 and I think his release point is fairly high, and his release speed is decent. He does release it out in front instead of over his head so it is a bit close to the defender. I’d guess if you compare his release to Bohannon that this may be the bigger difference but I didn’t confirm.

Overall it’s not bad - fairly average I’d say although if I was his height I may prefer a release closer to over my head, but some smaller kids develop a release early on that helps them get the ball to the rim.

It seems that everyone who has seen Brock play in person is extremely impressed.

Another example with some video included:

This actually helps Iowa in pursuit of Boden Kapke the 6'11" post from Minnesota.

Gus Yalden is a really talented Power Forward (not really a center), from what I have seen. Rivals also lists him as a PF. We got him to visit last summer, which was important, of course.

I just thought Gus at PF, Owen at Center and Pryce Sandfort at SF would have been a nice foundation for the 2023 class. But 2 out of 3 won't be bad.

Ben Johnson is committed to keeping Minnesota kids in Minnesota. It will be interesting to see if he is successful. If Fran somehow got Boden to commit to Iowa, would Fran get any credit? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT