ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Softball

I saw on Twitter Kate Claypool has transferred to Purdue. She went through senior ceremonies last spring at Iowa. I am not sure if she will have 1 or 2 years of eligibility. Glad to see she is continuing her career.

Reactions: MossHawk6
Illinois just hired Vann Studdeman as their pitching coach. She was the head coach at Miss. State. Their position was open for a short time. Appears to be a great hire. Anyone know if we are any closer to hiring a pitching coach? Our position has been open for a long time.

Melinda Fischer at Illinois State retired today after 37 years. We played Ill State regularly during the Blevins years. She always had good teams. Between her and Michigan's Coach Hutch that is two legends retiring.

Go Hawks

I saw on Twitter Kate Claypool has transferred to Purdue. She went through senior ceremonies last spring at Iowa. I am not sure if she will have 1 or 2 years of eligibility. Glad to see she is continuing her career.
Sorry guys, Didn't see this new post you guys started!

Kate will have 2 years left. She has started Grad school this Fall at Purdue. Kate said that Purdue will also be in North Carolina when Iowa is out there this Spring, so it will be nice to run into her before we have to play them in BigTen season!

Reactions: UptownHawk
Illinois just hired Vann Studdeman as their pitching coach. She was the head coach at Miss. State. Their position was open for a short time. Appears to be a great hire. Anyone know if we are any closer to hiring a pitching coach? Our position has been open for a long time.

Melinda Fischer at Illinois State retired today after 37 years. We played Ill State regularly during the Blevins years. She always had good teams. Between her and Michigan's Coach Hutch that is two legends retiring.

Go Hawks
They interviewed someone a week or so ago...

Kate will do great for Purdue. It always seemed she did something good when she was in the game.

I think the NC games will be NC State and Syracuse. Anyone know any other tournaments we'll be at in the spring? Nebraska has released their spring schedule. We play them in March in Iowa City for a double header.

Have seen the schedule. Travel to FL, NC, CA, AR, FL, FL for non-con, don't know the teams yet though, besides the NC that was announced.

At PSU
Neb
NW
At MSU
Maryland
At Minn
Rutgers
At Wis

UNI, ISU, Drake, W Ill,

So Far anyways...

Thank you for the schedule update, MossHawk. Our B1G schedule looks more manageable than last year.

It looks like the Cali tournament is the Mary Nutter classic. Lots of good teams will be there. The 2023 teams are in the link above.

Am guessing the Florida tournaments are the same ones in Leesburg or Tampa area. She seems to like those.

Go Hawks!

I saw on Twitter we got a verbal commitment from 2023 SS/P Ellie Lynch from Ames. It looks like she hit over .500 for Ames last season. I'm guessing she will be more of an infielder than pitcher.

The other 2023 verbals I've seen:

Shyma Linder Clark (Alabama)
Devin Simon (Cascade, IA)
Jena Young (Winterset, IA)
Andrea Jaskowski (Wisconsin)
Soo Jin Berry (California)

Go Hawks!

Last edited:

The Palm Springs tournament schedule has been posted. We play Bethune Cookman, Cal, Northridge, UCLA and Oregon State.
Totally bonkers UCLA will be on the conference schedule in two years. UCLA/USC joining means the conference will have an odd number of teams that play softball. Wonder how they'll handle that??

The spring schedule has been released. Tournaments at FAU, NC State, Palm Spring, Central Arkansas, Maderia Beach FL, USF. We went to Maderia Beach a couple years ago. Cool set up there on the bay.

Hawks beat Simpson 22-0 and St. Thomas 13-10 in fall games. Anyone able to attend? Curious if any of the freshman or transfers are making an impact. The games were streamed but we were unable to watch.

Go Hawks.

The spring schedule has been released. Tournaments at FAU, NC State, Palm Spring, Central Arkansas, Maderia Beach FL, USF. We went to Maderia Beach a couple years ago. Cool set up there on the bay.

Hawks beat Simpson 22-0 and St. Thomas 13-10 in fall games. Anyone able to attend? Curious if any of the freshman or transfers are making an impact. The games were streamed but we were unable to watch.

Go Hawks.
I was there for both games. They are doing the fall games so far a little different. They have 2 full teams. 1 team will play the odd innings (play the field, and follow a real order for only the odd innings) then the other team will play the even innings. So, most players get 2 ABs each. We have 9 pitchers, so every pitcher got 1 inning each game.

As far as the newcomers... Really impressed with Avery Jackson. She played SS for both her games, hit either lead off or 2 hole both games. Fast, good instincts, good arm, etc...

Tory Bennett, Echo Mattiello & Anna Streff played well I thought. Got on base quite a bit..

Pitchers were had to judge with getting only 1 inning. 1 pitcher might get the 7, 8, 9 hitters, then the next 3, 4, 5. So, kind of hard to compare.

Coach G was on the InTheCircleSB podcast this morning. Her interview starts at about the 42:45 mark. Not a lot of information, but said the Big Ten is looking at trying to implement instant replay, she talked about letting pitchers start to call their own game, otherwise talked in general terms about the pitching staff and offense as well as the new coaches.

The Big 4 was this weekend. Friday lost to UNI 11-6. UNI is a pretty good team, and they played it straight up. We ended up pitching a different pitcher each inning, not sure they felt they could get into the flow? But overall, I thought UNI was probably the better team on Friday. Freshman Avery Jackson has her first HR, and she continues to impress…

Saturday they played ISU. Lost 9-5. A freshman started the game, and ISU scored 3 in top of 1st. This game seemed a lot like last year. Some errors at inopportune times, and lots of baserunners, but just could get the hits when needed. Kind of an ugly game, maybe the worst of the fall so far. I feel like Iowa was probably the better team, however, they did not play very well. We pitched 5 pitchers this game, but it was played mostly straight up, didn’t rotate pitchers just to rotate, more so when a need was there.

Sunday they played Drake. Devyn Greer got the start. She pitched ok, but 3 errors in the first, and 1 hit plated 3 runs. Not the start we needed after yesterdays game! But Iowa batted back a little and tied it up in the 4th. The hits started falling, and next thing you know, its 12-4 in the 7th. Ended up 16-4, Iowa. They played this game straight up with Vasquez pitching 6 innings, holding Drake to 1 hit.

Denali crushed the ball most of the weekend. Probably 5 balls that hit the top of the fence so fast, several of them were singles… Nia hit well most of the weekend, Freshman Anna Streff hit and played well. Doster had a couple doubles? It kids of all runs together after a while, especially with no box score to remind me…

Looks like there will be 2-3 freshman in the mix in the field, and 1-2 in the mix for pitching. Jalen Adams being one of the pitchers? I think this weekend was a little different for the freshman, as the quality of pitching and opponent was much higher then they had seen so far this fall. But it was good for them to see it.

Reactions: LinusPF
Thanks for the report, Moss Hawk. Tried to watch the video a couple times this weekend, but the video would freeze up for periods of time. It's nice to see us putting up some runs on the board. In the podcast Coach G mentioned the offense was looking good. Hopefully the pitching will settle in. It would be hard only getting an inning or two to throw.

I’m hoping it’s not Nia. The timing of her entering the portal seemed odd if she was looking to transfer for the 24 season.

Not Nia. She is staying for this year. At least as far as I know. The player that is leaving, is a great kid, didn't start a lot, but had a role. I'll post when public. I'm sure this happens at all the P5 programs, still don't have to like it...

For those in the know.
Is the attrition and turnover leading to a talent/results increase?

For those in the know.
Is the attrition and turnover leading to a talent/results increase?
I would say that it to early to say? I'm sure that the staffs hope, is to lead to an increase of talent. The balance is, getting there, while maintaining that team chemistry. That is probably tougher then it seems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT