ADVERTISEMENT

2023 starting roster: Offense

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
QB: Joe Labas/ Might be best QB of KF Era. Arm talent is insane and kid is a legit athlete.

RB: Going to say Vets will start but JPat and KJ will get some run and all 4 are monsters!!

TE: Actually worried about this position. Not a single proven commodity on the roster. Hope Lachey can become a legit #1 cuz I don't see any other options.

FB: Plug n play face smashers

LT: Richman. Will be a junior and borderline AA by then.
LG: Davidikov. Should get snaps this year and be ready for big time in 23. Really nasty finisher.
C: Logan Jones: Everybody says there is never another TL. Until there is. Kid has all the tools but even if he is Bruce Nelson or James Daniels or Austin Blythe or James Ferentz or...... U get the point. Center is set.
RG: Playing a hunch but going with the Dunker here. He is around 315 and pushing a ton of weight. (Per the QB's on McCaffrey podcast) Could be TE or MM. Whoever it is could be legit.
RT: Colby: Another Junior tackle and another legit AA candidate

WR: Keegan Johnson: Special talent. Explosive.
WR: Arland Bruce: Maybe a Tim Dwight clone. Maybe
WR: Jacob Bostick: Hurt his Sr year but long n athletic.

If BF can't score with these guys he gotta go.

Taking into account Heathen Raider's warning about the specu;ative value of predicting future line-ups, the 2023 outlook on defense:

Strengths: DL overall + depth, potential upgrade at DE/pass rush, both Safety pos.

Major Question Marks: Every LB position, CB.

(subject to injuries/transfers)

It is way too early to say that the 2023 Iowa defense will have any major weakness. Parker's track record of developing young talent is exceptonal IMO. LB is the big concern and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks add a transfer or two at LB and/or CB to shore up the known or expected graduation/declaration losses.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Taking into account Heathen Raider's warning about the specu;ative value of predicting future line-ups, the 2023 outlook on defense:

Strengths: DL overall + depth, potential upgrade at DE/pass rush, both Safety pos.

Major Question Marks: Every LB position, CB.

(subject to injuries/transfers)

It is way too early to say that the 2023 Iowa defense will have any major weakness. Parker's track record of developing young talent is exceptonal IMO. LB is the big concern and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks add a transfer or two at LB and/or CB to shore up the known or expected graduation/declaration losses.
I don't think CB will be a question mark. You will like have Roberts and Harris as starters. I think they are pretty happy with what they have at LB as well so I don't see them going after one.

QB: Joe Labas/ Might be best QB of KF Era. Arm talent is insane and kid is a legit athlete.

RB: Going to say Vets will start but JPat and KJ will get some run and all 4 are monsters!!

TE: Actually worried about this position. Not a single proven commodity on the roster. Hope Lachey can become a legit #1 cuz I don't see any other options.

LG: Davidikov. Should get snaps this year and be ready for big time in 23. Really nasty finisher.
C: Logan Jones: Everybody says there is never another TL. Until there is. Kid has all the tools but even if he is Bruce Nelson or James Daniels or Austin Blythe or James Ferentz or...... U get the point. Center is set.
RG: Playing a hunch but going with the Dunker here. He is around 315 and pushing a ton of weight. (Per the QB's on McCaffrey podcast) Could be TE or MM. Whoever it is could be legit.

If he can't score this year he needs to go

Fear not...Steven Stilianos will be totally ready to replace LaPorta in 2023.

Reactions: TKingpin
I kinda like that ol except I say Elsbury is a starting og. I expect Dunker, if healthy, to make waves this year.

Reactions: mazda1
Uhhh, not.
We have a bunch of 300 pound options who’ve been in the system, but not a bunch that are 335 with Proctors athletic talent. I foresee Colby at guard and Kayden at right tackle. We can agree Iowa tries to play their best 5 I’m sure. Which 5 players do you expect to keep KP on the pine?

We have a bunch of 300 pound options who’ve been in the system, but not a bunch that are 335 with Proctors athletic talent. I foresee Colby at guard and Kayden at right tackle. We can agree Iowa tries to play their best 5 I’m sure. Which 5 players do you expect to keep KP on the pine?
Proctor has a long ways to go with his technique before he plays at Iowa. He also has to drop some weight before he’s ready to play.

Proctor has a long ways to go with his technique before he plays at Iowa. He also has to drop some weight before he’s ready to play.
I agree he’s got some things to work on, but so do the guys that leaked like a sieve last year. He’ll have this year and hopefully both spring and fall camps to get better. In todays world of NIL and the transfer portal. I still see him on the field.

Again what 5 do you see ahead of him? I may well be wrong, but who do you all see starting?

I agree he’s got some things to work on, but so do the guys that leaked like a sieve last year. He’ll have this year and hopefully both spring and fall camps to get better. In todays world of NIL and the transfer portal. I still see him on the field.

Again what 5 do you see ahead of him? I may well be wrong, but who do you all see starting?
Well he can’t play center so Jones and Myslinki will be ahead of him. I don’t see him beating out three year starters in Richman and Colby for there respective positions. That leaves Dunker, Stephens, Davidkov, and Elsbury as very talented and athletic underclassmen. For upperclassman you still have Dejong and Britt who have shown talent but have been hamstrung by injuries. If Proctor is playing as a true freshman I would be worried about injuries on the OL. I also feel comfortable saying that the staff isn’t worried about the transfer portal or NIL when deciding who plays.

Yeah, I think he will see the field even if it is just part time.

Being upperclassmen often times brings out a little more urgency in guys. I think that DeJong and/or Britt will be prominent contributors. As I understand it ... both guys are pretty smart dudes. Consequently, part of the issue is to get to a point where the thinking goes away and the recognitions are more consistent and automatic (this results from extensive PREPARATION - it doesn't come from nowhere).

At center, I'm split. Good things have been said about Mylinski ... but I also don't think that Ferentz would take the initiative to move Jones to the OL and then just have the guy sit on his hands.

By most reports, it sounds like Davidkov has been "surging." While I expect Elsbury to be a contributor ... I expect that he needs to developmentally "take the next step" if he's going to start. Maybe that happens in '22 ... and he then starts in '23. No idea ...

Injuries ... they throw curve-balls into all our projections. I remember last year that a lot of superlatives were being said about Stephens. He then dropped off the radar. Thus, I'll be curious to see how guys who've dropped off the radar respond and develop.

My guess:
LT: Richman, Davidkov
LG: DeJong, Britt
C: Jones, Mylinski
RG: Colby, Stephens
RT: Davidkov/Proctor

Regardless there’s going to be plenty of talent and experience to have a significant advantage in 23-24.

So if the don’t score again this year, that is OK?

ADVERTISEMENT