ADVERTISEMENT

**************2024 All Class High School Football Thread***************

HawkeyeShawn

HB Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
Anyone else have a son or daughter playing in 2024? Or maybe you have an interest in an area team? Let’s discuss the season starting this Friday!

My son is a Junior. 6’2” 215, starting Guard and D Tackle for Class A Tri-Center. We kick off Friday night vs 1A AHSTW. AHSTW should be a playoff team again this season and has the line and skills to go deep into the post season. They beat us by 40 last year in our opener. Our coaches like to schedule tougher, larger class opponents in our non-district games. 1A Treynor is our second week foe.

I’m expecting a much better week one showing from TC. We graduated 2 starters. QB and kicker. QB is the only question mark. We have a Soph starting. Stud RB and best line in recent years.

2 biggest competitors in our district are Logan Magnolia and Woodbury Central. Both close losses for us last year and both teams will be down from last season. Brix is gone from LoMa and I think the Kluender’s are done producing quarterbacks.

TC is not a traditional powerhouse in FB. Always seems to be middle of the pack. Good enough to squeeze into the playoffs, but always a road team. In my memory, TC has never hosted or won a playoff game. We finally have a team that has a chance to finish 1 or 2 in the district, which means hosting a first round game.

Making hype and highlight videos is my side hobby. Check it out.

Good luck to your son and Tri-Center! High school Friday nights are special.
Gonna be some dogfights week 1 in 5A. Ankeny vs Centennial. SEP vs Valley. Can't wait.

Also, great highlight video.

Last edited:
Anyone else have a son or daughter playing in 2024? Or maybe you have an interest in an area team? Let’s discuss the season starting this Friday!

My son is a Junior. 6’2” 215, starting Guard and D Tackle for Class A Tri-Center. We kick off Friday night vs 1A AHSTW. AHSTW should be a playoff team again this season and has the line and skills to go deep into the post season. They beat us by 40 last year in our opener. Our coaches like to schedule tougher, larger class opponents in our non-district games. 1A Treynor is our second week foe.

I’m expecting a much better week one showing from TC. We graduated 2 starters. QB and kicker. QB is the only question mark. We have a Soph starting. Stud RB and best line in recent years.

2 biggest competitors in our district are Logan Magnolia and Woodbury Central. Both close losses for us last year and both teams will be down from last season. Brix is gone from LoMa and I think the Kluender’s are done producing quarterbacks.

TC is not a traditional powerhouse in FB. Always seems to be middle of the pack. Good enough to squeeze into the playoffs, but always a road team. In my memory, TC has never hosted or won a playoff game. We finally have a team that has a chance to finish 1 or 2 in the district, which means hosting a first round game.

Making hype and highlight videos is my side hobby. Check it out.

Coached against Tri-Center in 19 and 20. Both fun games especially 20 in the first round. Good luck this year.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
My son coached at Woodbury Central in 19 while he student taught there. They will be down especially from last year where they lost narrowly in the finals. They will always be well coached. Bremer is a great guy and a very good coach! Best of luck to your son and TC! I live in Sterling, IL. now so we are going to watch Sterling play Metamora Friday night.

My son coached at Woodbury Central in 19 while he student taught there. They will be down especially from last year where they lost narrowly in the finals. They will always be well coached. Bremer is a great guy and a very good coach! Best of luck to your son and TC! I live in Sterling, IL. now so we are going to watch Sterling play Metamora Friday night.
Bremer was one of my teachers at SC East and I was fortunate to coach with him at East before he took the head job in Moville. Amazing person and coach. Only knock on him is he is a big Michigan fan.

Got a kid that plays for Ankeny.

Ankeny v Centennial Friday night is an outstanding atmosphere. There will be over 10k in attendance.

I doubt anyone is interested in my breakdown of the Hawks or the Jags.
I'm starving for HS football. Would love to hear your breakdown. I know Curvey and Beroth are studs for Ankeny.

5 out of the 7 classes state champions came from outside the DM metro and suburbs in 2023. The same number in 2022.
All the Des Moines suburban school are in 5A. They were the entire semifinals last year. It really is a completely different game. The teams are so deep. SEP had something like 65 Seniors out last year.

Wondering if maybe a Kennedy can break through this year? I think Dowling will be down this year. That Kennedy v Dowling game Friday night is interesting.

To your point, there is a lot of great football ball in the smaller classes all over the state! I grew up in a small town playing 2A football.

I'm starving for HS football. Would love to hear your breakdown. I know Curvey and Beroth are studs for Ankeny.
Alright. I’ll make a go of it…

Curvey is at Centennial. He was at Waukee the last two years, but was originally a Centennial kid. Beroth is an Ankeny kid. He is at our house quite a bit. He is a stud. He’s a B1G/SEC lineman, but happens to be 5’11”. He’s going to be a wrecking ball at some DII school.

Ankeny brings back more than Centennial, including most of their offense. Ankeny loses a fair amount on defense. Their weakest link on D will be stronger than it was last year, but they don’t have an eye popping stud like they did last year either.

Centennial is interesting. They lost quite a bit, including their QB, but I feel pretty strongly that Cluver will be an upgrade at that position. He probably should have been their QB last year. Their backs are good in Jackson and Morgan. I think they lost nearly every pass catcher from last year. Not sure how they’ll be there, but I’m guessing it will be a step back?

On defense, it helps to get Curvey back. The end opposite him is a good player too. Their entire front seven should be pretty salty, but they might have a hole or two on the back end?

It is such a cool atmosphere for this game. If you love high school football, and are in the Des Moines area; I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Alright. I’ll make a go of it…

Curvey is at Centennial. He was at Waukee the last two years, but was originally a Centennial kid. Beroth is an Ankeny kid. He is at our house quite a bit. He is a stud. He’s a B1G/SEC lineman, but happens to be 5’11”. He’s going to be a wrecking ball at some DII school.

Ankeny brings back more than Centennial, including most of their offense. Ankeny loses a fair amount on defense. Their weakest link on D will be stronger than it was last year, but they don’t have an eye popping stud like they did last year either.

Centennial is interesting. They lost quite a bit, including their QB, but I feel pretty strongly that Cluver will be an upgrade at that position. He probably should have been their QB last year. Their backs are good in Jackson and Morgan. I think they lost nearly every pass catcher from last year. Not sure how they’ll be there, but I’m guessing it will be a step back?

On defense, it helps to get Curvey back. The end opposite him is a good player too. Their entire front seven should be pretty salty, but they might have a hole or two on the back end?

It is such a cool atmosphere for this game. If you love high school football, and are in the Des Moines area; I highly recommend it.

Great report! For some reason I was thinking Curvey was at Ankeny, thanks for clearing that up. That is going to be a slobber-knocker. Likely the best environment in our state Friday night, although SEP/Valley is going to be great as well.

I will see the score and a few Blitz highlights, but if you're willing, would love to get a recap when you get a chance. Gotta think one of those teams will be in the Dome.

Great report! For some reason I was thinking Curvey was at Ankeny, thanks for clearing that up. That is going to be a slobber-knocker. Likely the best environment in our state Friday night, although SEP/Valley is going to be great as well.

I will see the score and a few Blitz highlights, but if you're willing, would love to get a recap when you get a chance. Gotta think one of those teams will be in the Dome.
That’s an interesting game too. SEP lost a TON, and the senior class isn’t great. According to the SEP guys I know, the Junior class strengths are the Senior class weaknesses …🤷‍♂️

SEP won’t be as good, but not as good could still be the best team in the state?

I have no kids but each year I tell myself I should go watch Mater Dei vs. St John's Bosco since they're almost always seemingly both top 5 ish nationally and within 10 miles of me. Or if IMG l, Bishop Gorman, or a Texas powerhouse comes to play one of them.

Maybe I finally will go watch.

Reactions: jerbob36
I'll be attending Dike-New Hartford @ Grundy Center. Arguably the top 2 teams in class 1A this year. Grundy has a 20+ some game winning streak. Hope it finally comes to an end tomorrow. Last year Grundy won the opener 7-6 (missed xp) and then won 40-0 in the playoffs.

Iowa preps.rivals isn't what it used to be, but still a fun site for this type of discussion.
I go in the wrestling thread sometimes and ask why they have all landed on iowa preps high school wrestling forum to discuss politics and just get attacked in there lol

I go in the wrestling thread sometimes and ask why they have all landed on iowa preps high school wrestling forum to discuss politics and just get attacked in there lol
the general football board isn't bad, it is dead compared to what it was back in the day.

I think East was young last year. West dropped to 4A and probably will still go winless.
East was young last fall. Started 2 Fr one of them was the QB. Brought in super fast WR from Lawton who Iowa was talking to at one point. I’m guessing 5 or 6 wins. Maybe depending on first round matchup have a shot to be competitive in that game.

All of our son's have graduated but Solon has a few players to watch:

1. RB\DE Eddie Johnson (6'2 210)
2. QB Tyler Bell (6'1 190)
3. OL\DL Grant Wilson (6' 250)
4. LB\TE Oliver Owens (6' 200)

Solon is replacing 10 starters on Defense but had a really strong group of underclassmen.

East was young last fall. Started 2 Fr one of them was the QB. Brought in super fast WR from Lawton who Iowa was talking to at one point. I’m guessing 5 or 6 wins. Maybe depending on first round matchup have a shot to be competitive in that game.
(Looks at schedule)

Yep, 5-6 wins. My understanding is they have good skill talent, but their going to have trouble keeping Jepsen safe…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT