ADVERTISEMENT

2024 ATH Jaylen Watson reacts to Iowa offer after camp

Greg Smith

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hey everyone, Greg Smith here. I'm covering the Midwest now in addition to being the senior recruiting analyst over at the Nebraska site. I come in peace! Caught up with Jaylen Watson after he was offered this weekend following camp.

Camp season is fully upon us. The Hawkeyes are hosting a full slate of prospect camps this summer. That's always a great time to find new prospects that have gone under the radar so far. Watching film on kids is great but working with them directly has huge benefits. Over the weekend, Iowa threw down a new 2024 offer to Ohio ATH Jaylen Watson.

“I was offered after the camp,” Watson said. “I knew I performed very well and showed the coaches I can play on the next level. So, on my way home is actually when I found out I had the official offer! Tyler Barnes the (director of recruiting) DOR text me saying congratulations on your offer from the University of Iowa.

“I think I had to read it again but the feeling I had inside was unexplainable man I knew I earned it and when you work hard for something the reward feels that much better.”

Linebackers Coach (Seth) Wallace came to his high school showcase recently. Wallace saw Watson workout at defensive back and was impressed with how well he could move. Since Watson has also been recruited by schools as a wide receiver, he asked he would have interest in playing on defense in college. Watson said that he’d play anywhere the team needed and having the opportunity would be a blessing. That led to an invite to camp to show the full staff what he could do.

Watson says the relationship with the Iowa staff has been great so far.

“It’s been REAL! I know they really want me in the Iowa family and that means a lot to me,” Watson said.

While in Iowa City, Watson was able to check out campus and the city. Kinnick Stadium was caught his attention.

“The campus looked great! I came a day early so I had the chance to ride around a little,” Watson said. “The stadium looks amazing I can see myself making plays in there.”

Next up Watson will head to Cincinnati on June 8th for camp an unofficial visit. Then he’ll go to East Carolina on June 18th to visit and camp. It sounds like the Hawkeyes staff left an impression on the versatile playmaker.

“I was the last person there talking to all of the staff it was cool,” Watson said. “They kept saying how good of a camp I had and they are looking forward to getting me back down asap.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News