ADVERTISEMENT

2024 is the perfect time to ditch the ISU game

Maybe, but they are currently not on the schedule for 2026 and beyond.

Total guesswork but I suspect we will see the series short to 2 on/2 off or 4ish times per decade.

That's my fear. Our only hope is a conference only schedule.
Doesn’t matter what any of the politicians say, all the way up to the governor. The Board of Regents may fight it a bit, but ultimately scheduling is left to the schools. The board is only there for academic purposes and not athletic. They provide oversight in athletics to make sure NCAA rules are followed, but that’s about it.

stone-cold-steve-austin.gif

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Doesn’t matter what any of the politicians say, all the way up to the governor. The Board of Regents may fight it a bit, but ultimately scheduling is left to the schools. The board is only there for academic purposes and not athletic. They provide oversight in athletics to make sure NCAA rules are followed, but that’s about it.
You don’t seem to understand the concept of “influence”

You don’t seem to understand the concept of “influence”
I understand it perfectly. The U of I will do what’s best for it regardless what a bunch of d*ckless politicians want. Especially if the conference isn’t done expanding and goes to 9+ conference games. It’s not trading a home and home for 3 guaranteed home games.

Reactions: BXY and torbee
I understand it perfectly. The U of I will do what’s best for it regardless what a bunch of d*ckless politicians want. Especially if the conference isn’t done expanding and goes to 9+ conference games. It’s not trading a home and home for 3 guaranteed home games.

This is actually correct. Money speaks to these people and Barta has an easy case.

For a long time it’s been in their best interests to go against this game and they still haven’t.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Winning on the road against ISU's best team in decades did a lot for me. It provides Iowa with a quality look at a road team prior to Big 10 season.
That was fun, but how many years did it take them to finally have a team of that caliber? Loved watching them piss it down their leg.

IF this series gets suspended, wonder if that will dampen their recruiting efforts for Iowa boys in a small way. Some of these kids might want to play there just for a chance to play in this rivalry game, especially the ones that got snubbed by Iowa. Just a thought.

For a long time it’s been in their best interests to go against this game and they still haven’t.
What has made it in their best interest? I guaranteed home sell out every other year? State interest? Playing a power 5 team that you'll probably beat?

I think a lot of our fans just don't like playing ISU so they concoct in their brain that it's not in Iowa's best interest. Then when Gary barta doesn't take them off the schedule it's his fault even though the entire idea of taking them off the schedule was created out of thin air. I always hear it's a lose-lose situation but I honestly can't think of a single time we're losing to Iowa State cost us anything more than losing to anyone else. We play them so early in the year that by the end of the season the loss is a loss and it generally never matters to who. The main year I keep getting told about his 2003 but in the end Miami and Ohio State were playing for the national title even with an undefeated Iowa.

Play them Don't play them I don't care but I'm just not sure what makes it in Iowas best interest from the athletic department standpoint? Maybe Gasser can explain but it just seems like good business sense to me to play it.

Last edited:
What has made it in their best interest? I guaranteed home sell out every year? State interest? Playing a power 5 team that you'll probably beat?

I think a lot of our fans just don't like playing ISU so they concoct in their brain that it's not in Iowa's best interest. Then when Gary barta doesn't take them off the schedule it's his fault even though the entire idea of taking them off the schedule was created out of thin air. I always hear it's a lose-lose situation but I honestly can't think of a single time we're losing to Iowa State cost us anything more than losing to anyone else. We play them so early in the year that by the end of the season the loss is a loss and it generally never matters to who. The main year I keep getting told about his 2003 but in the end Miami and Ohio State were playing for the national title even with an undefeated Iowa.

Play them Don't play them I don't care but I'm just not sure what makes it in Iowas best interest from the athletic department standpoint? Maybe Gasser can explain but it just seems like good business sense to me to play it.
It could be the difference in ranking or bowl slot which could mean a big difference in payout and fan excitement for traveling for a bowl. So, all games matter in this regard. Beating ISU certainly helps while losing hurts (more so because their fans will talk about it for the next 3-4 years). But… this series benefits ISU, not Iowa. From ticket sales, excitement, spotlight, etc… it’s the game for them each year. Finally, if there wasn’t an ISU the Hawks would get a bump in overall recruiting as some recruits they get would come here improving the roster/depth which would make the team better. As a fan, I don’t really care much about the series like some seem to. I’d much prefer to see them play other teams be it expanded B1G teams or just other teams in general… especially if it was a made for tv matchup now and again (which doesn’t seem like will ever happen).

Last edited:
It could be the difference in ranking or bowl slot which could mean a big difference in payout and Dan excitement for traveling for a bowl. So, all games matter in this regard. Beating ISU certainly helps while losing hurts (more so because their fans will talk about it for the next 3-4 years). But… this series benefits ISU, not Iowa. From ticket sales, excitement, spotlight, etc… it’s the game for them each year. Finally, if there wasn’t an ISU the Hawks would get a bump in overall recruiting as some recruits they get would come here improving the roster/depth which would make the team better. As a fan, I don’t really care much about the series like some seem to. I’d much prefer to see them play other teams be it expanded B1G teams or just other teams in general… especially if it was a made for tv matchup now and again (which doesn’t seem like will ever happen).

Agree. I would like to see a nonconference schedule that doesn't have ISU as the marquee matchup every once in a while.

Reactions: Tom Paris
What has made it in their best interest? I guaranteed home sell out every other year? State interest? Playing a power 5 team that you'll probably beat?

Completely disagree with Ohio State playing for a title over an undefeated Iowa. I know they are Ohio St but they were winning a lot of close games and Iowa was blowing most teams out at the end of the year. I truly believe an undefeated Iowa plays Miami.

Would love for that to happen but I’m sure many State politicians would do everything in their power for it not to happen.
Yes, due to egocentrism, yet more importantly due to keeping the Benjamins in state…

Yes, governance is limited…
Question…have you experienced backstage boardroom politics?

Yes, due to egocentrism, yet more importantly due to keeping the Benjamins in state…

The Benjamins is what gets them off the U of I’d back. The lost revenue of a home game is considerable. Dollars talk.

Go read several of Barta’s own quotes. Gasser has no better understanding on the “why” than does anyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: BXY and Kelsers
ADVERTISEMENT