ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Preseason Baseball Polls (Updated 2/8)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Link: Perfect Game

1. Wake Forest
2. Arkansas
3. LSU
4. Florida
5. TCU
6. Vanderbilt
7. Texas A&M
8. Texas
9. Oregon State
10. Virginia
11. Tennessee
12. Stanford
13. South Carolina
14. North Carolina
15. Auburn
16. Iowa
17. East Carolina
18. UCLA
19. North Carolina State
20. Kansas State
21. Clemson
22. Oklahoma State
23. Duke
24. UC-Santa Barbara
25. Coastal Carolina

============================

Link: D1Baseball Preseason Top 25 (1/16)

1. Wake Forest
2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. TCU
6. Vanderbilt
7. Oregon State
8. Texas A&M
9. Tennessee
10. Clemson
11. East Carolina
12. Duke
13. North Carolina State
14. Virginia
15. North Carolina
16. Texas
17. UC-Santa Barbara
18. Coastal Carolina
19. Alabama
20. Iowa
21. Texas Tech
22. UCLA
23. Northeastern
24. Kansas State
25. South Carolina

===============================

Link: Baseball America Preseason Top 25 (1/29)

1. Wake Forest
2. LSU
3. Arkansas
4. Florida
5. Oregon State
6. TCU
7. Vanderbilt
8. Tennessee
9. Clemson
10. Virginia
11. Texas A&M
12. South Carolina
13. Texas
14. East Carolina
15. Stanford
16. Duke
17. North Carolina
18. Texas Tech
19. Coastal Carolina
20. Iowa
21. Oklahoma State
22. North Carolina State
23. Auburn
24. Northeastern
25. UC-Irvine

================================

Link: NCBWA Preseason Top 30 (2/2)

1. Wake Forest
2. LSU
3. Florida
4. Arkansas
5. Tennessee
6. TCU
7. Vanderbilt
8. Oregon State
9. Texas
10. Texas A&M
11. Virginia
12. Clemson
13. East Carolina
14. Duke
15. South Carolina
16. North Carolina
17. Stanford
18. North Carolina State
19. Coastal Carolina
20. Texas Tech
21. Iowa
22. UCLA
23. Alabama
24. UC-Santa Barbara
25. Auburn
26. Oral Roberts
27. Kansas State
28. Northeastern
29. Oklahoma State
30. Southern Mississippi

Others Receiving Votes (listed alphabetically)
Alabama State, Arizona, Arizona State, Bethune-Cookman, Campbell, Connecticut, Dallas Baptist, Florida State, Gonzaga, Grand Canyon, Indiana, Indiana State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana-Lafayette, Maryland, Miami (FL), Mississippi, Mississippi State, North Carolina-Wilmington, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas State, Troy, UC-Irvine, USC, Washington, West Virginia, Xavier

======================================

Link: USA Today Preseason Coaches Poll (2/6)

1. Wake Forest (15)
2. LSU (11)
3. Florida (5)
4. Arkansas
5. TCU
6. Vanderbilt
7. Oregon State
8. Tennessee
9. Clemson
10. Texas A&M
11. Virginia
12. East Carolina
13. Texas
14. Duke
15. North Carolina
16. North Carolina State
17. Alabama
18t. UC-Santa Barbara
18t. Coastal Carolina
20. Iowa
21. South Carolina
22. Texas Tech
23. Stanford
24. UCLA
25. Northeastern

Others Receiving Votes
Kansas State, UC-Irvine, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Dallas Baptist, Southern Mississippi, Troy, Mississippi, Florida State, North Carolina-Wilmington, Arizona, Oral Roberts, Indiana State, Connecticut, Campbell, Georgia, USC, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Indiana, West Virginia, Hawaii, Maryland

Last edited:
Season ticket renewals were online yesterday.
I'm buying 2 season tickets (reserved seating) this year. While I may be make a couple of mid-week games (work schedule permitting), I'm going to be attending games more frequently on the weekends.

I'd certainly be interested in any suggestions for a local organization which may have an interest in receiving/using donated tickets. My mother happens to be a retired school social worker and lives in the IC/Coralville area and she's a good source for getting tickets to kids who don't regularly have a chance to go to games but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I'm buying 2 season tickets (reserved seating) this year. While I may be make a couple of mid-week games (work schedule permitting), I'm going to be attending games more frequently on the weekends.

I'd certainly be interested in any suggestions for a local organization which may have an interest in receiving/using donated tickets. My mother happens to be a retired school social worker and lives in the IC/Coralville area and she's a good source for getting tickets to kids who don't regularly have a chance to go to games but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I'll see you there. It will be good to catch up. I think you're on the right track about giving unused tickets to kids. I'll do some asking around and see if I can come up with anything else.

You could check with SFCH to see if any parents would want them while children are incapacitated (no joke). I know there is "down" time for surgeries, chemo, what not for parents who need to have something to do.

You could check with SFCH to see if any parents would want them while children are incapacitated (no joke). I know there is "down" time for surgeries, chemo, what not for parents who need to have something to do.

Children’s Hospital is a great idea.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
You guys are connected, maybe you could get a match from Heller on donated tickets? SFCH day at the ball park?

Football has Kid’s Captain. Iowa baseball could have Kid’s “Starting Pitcher” and have a patient at SFCH throw out the first pitch before a home game once for every B1G home series.

i reached out to the Iowa Giving Crew. I don’t know a lot about them, but I think this is something they’d do. In additions to the Children’s Hospital I was thinking the Ronald McDonald House.

@AuroraHawk @ICWestfan

ETA, I think @herkyshere runs or is involved in the organization. If not, my apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraHawk
i reached out to the Iowa Giving Crew. I don’t know a lot about them, but I think this is something they’d do. In additions to the Children’s Hospital I was thinking the Ronald McDonald House.

@AuroraHawk @ICWestfan

ETA, I think @herkyshere runs or is involved in the organization. If not, my apologies.
Looks like you are off to a good start. I'd check out Ron's House, it seems to me it is a sort of "way station" more so now than in the past. Folks that do utilize it are in and out, and not necessarily there for the long haul. I could be wrong but it is worth looking into.

Have either you or Aurora looked into how "Kids Captain" was started? I have no clue, it could have been instigated by UIHC.

D1 had the Iowa article posted this morning. Pretty general stuff. They have Gable and Ben as projected starters. Pitchers Brody, Marcus, Cade, Reece and Zach.

Brody’s slider at 93 which we saw this fall. Even faster really.

Seegs is the ‘glue guy”, whatever that is. Cade is the PTC.

Davis Cop is the top newcomer.

Nothing we didn’t already know. Some things we know that they don’t know. Yet.

“Iowa will be one of the hunted this spring, and it’ll be interesting to see how it embraces that. The sky is the limit for this club.”

“The Hawkeyes have been a consistent winner under the direction of head coach Rick Heller, and this team has all the pieces needed to make a run to the College World Series.”

D1 had the Iowa article posted this morning. Pretty general stuff. They have Gable and Ben as projected starters. Pitchers Brody, Marcus, Cade, Reece and Zach.

Brody’s slider at 93 which we saw this fall. Even faster really.

Seegs is the ‘glue guy”, whatever that is. Cade is the PTC.

Davis Cop is the top newcomer.

D1 had the Iowa article posted this morning. Pretty general stuff. . . . .

For consideration: https://d1baseball.com/about/
What's missing?

300 Division 1 baseball programs in the country.
350 Division 1 mens basketball programs in the country.

Can you imagine the public's reaction if a particular publication with that little staff held the same amount of influence in college mens basketball as D1 Baseball has over the college baseball scene?

Two west coast writers and one southeast writer. Midwest? Nope. Northeast? Nope.

When a publication has that much influence over what people are reading and setting impressions upon its audience, can there really be any surprise when teams like Rutgers are left out of the NCAA tournament over teams in the . . . wait for it . . . southeast and west coast?

There are dozens of people commenting on this Board who could have given a more thorough assessment/evaluation of Iowa's preseason.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Baseball American Preseason Top 25 Poll added above

20. Iowa
Last Season: (44-16, 15-8), lost in Terre Haute Regional
Final Ranking: NR

Skinny: Iowa hasn't won the Big Ten title since 1990 and hasn't reached the CWS since 1972. Both are possible this year for the Hawkeyes if they're able to capitalize on the massive promise of their rotation. Brody Brecht, Marcus Morgan and Cade Obermueller have the potential to be one of the best trios in the nation and the lineup has upside as well thanks to veterans Sam Petersen and Kyle Huckstorf.

D1Baseball: 2024 Big Ten Preview

Projected Order of Finish

1. Iowa
2. Indiana
3. Rutgers
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Purdue
12. Michigan State
13. Northwestern

Projected NCAA Regional Teams (2)
Iowa
Indiana

Preseason Player of the Year
Devin Taylor, Indiana (OF)

Preseason Pitcher of the Year
Brody Brecht, Iowa (RHP)

Preseason Freshman of the Year
Andrew Wiggins, Indiana (OF)

1. Iowa
2. Indiana
3. Rutgers
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Purdue
12. Michigan State
13. Northwestern

Iowa
Indiana

Brody Brecht, Iowa (RHP)

Hey look . . . D1Baseball already priming the pump that the B1G should only get 2 teams into the tournament.

1. Iowa
2. Indiana
3. Rutgers
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Purdue
12. Michigan State
13. Northwestern

Iowa
Indiana

Brody Brecht, Iowa (RHP)

Found this interesting . . . the preview is behind a paywall so I don't know the basis for the numbers but, holy hell, the expectations are through the roof this year. Keep flipping DCI away from the athletic buildings!

EDIT: The featured players below don't include Hucksdorf.

Have to make sure there is room for teams in the ACC and SEC to get 9-10 bids.
Just being curious and starting conversation, where would any one see Iowa finish if they were in the SEC this year? While our pitching is a strength, is it enough to go through entire SEC schedule? Top 5?

Taking my lunch break and my lunchtime reading reveals Baseball America projecting Iowa as the #16 overall seed and hosting a Regional.

Way too early but Stanford, Kansas State and Oral Roberts fill out the Regional.

EDIT: From the "FWIW category:"
- Virginia is listed as the #10 national seed.
- Auburn is listed as a #2 seed in the same bracket as the #8 national seed.
- Ole Miss is listed among the first four out. BA projects 10 SEC teams making the tournament. Logic dictates that BA sees Ole Miss as the 11th best SEC team in a 14 team league.
- Georgia is not listed as a team to make the tournament or among the final 8 teams left out. Since BA projects Ole Miss as the 11th best team in SEC, Georgia would be 12th to 14th in SEC. Iowa plays at Georgia in a mid-week game (Tuesday) sandwiched between weekend sets at Jacksonville State and home against Western Illinois. Will be curious to see how Heller handles rotation and whether he structures it to allow one of the "Big 3" to start against Georgia. If Georgia is one of the SEC's "lower tier" teams, probably not a good look if Iowa (B1G favorite) goes to Athens and loses.
- Indiana is the only other B1G team projected to make the field (a #2 seed in the bracket hosted by #9 national seed Tennessee). Iowa doesn't face Indiana in regular B1G season.
- Maryland is listed as one of the other first four out. Iowa doesn't face Maryland in the regular B1G season.
- As of this moment in time, the only teams projected as "tournament" teams on Iowa's regular season schedule are Auburn and Virginia. How important are those games in Jacksonville, Florida on the second weekend?
- '25 B1G newcomers USC, Oregon and UCLA are all listed as making the field. None as a top 16 overall national seed. USC and Oregon listed as #3 seeds in their bracket and UCLA is listed as a #2 seed in its bracket. No doubt that B1G's conference RPI gets a boost in '25.

Last edited:
In this bracketology, Iowa is the #12 overall seed with K-State, USC & SEMO in the Iowa City Regional.

See the link in the tweet to take you to the story.

Bids per Power Conference:

SEC (10): Florida, Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, South Carolina, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Georgia

ACC (9): Wake Forest, Clemson, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, NC State, Miami, Louisville, and Florida State

Big 12 (7): TCU, Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, West Virginia, and Oklahoma

Pac 12 (6): Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona State, Stanford, USC, and Oregon

Big 10 (2): Iowa & Indiana

First 4 OUT: Rutgers
Next 4 OUT: Maryland & Nebraska

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT