2024 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Oct 27th. 26 Offers So Far (including Cooper Koch). 5 Scholarships Currently Available

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa has been watching & keeping tabs on Caden Wilkins but has not offered. Caden also unofficially visited Iowa a year ago, on Sat Sep 18, 2021.

Fc-M2jYXoAM9oWq

Fc-M2jZXkAMewb8

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I'm guessing that he will be hard to get out of Indiana.....

That, and perhaps Ohio, being that he's a Cincinnati native.

Rivals reports him with at least 18 offers, including Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, Dayton, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Butler, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Texas, Stanford, Pitt, Penn State, Ohio and Ole Miss.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The original post has been updated.

Fran has given out 25 offers so far for the 2024 Class.

* 7 of the 25 have visited Iowa City (1 Officially, 6 Unofficially--they pay their own way).

--OFFICIAL VISITS:
Donnie Freeman (Sep 17, 2022)

--UNOFFICIAL VISITS:
Raleigh Burgess (Sep 17, 2022)
Isaac Asuma (June 27, 2022)
Caleb Middleton (Oct 9, 2021)
Cooper Koch (Oct 9, 2021)
Kon Knueppel (Sep 18, 2021)
JT Rock (Sep 4, 2021)

* 1 of the 25 total offered has committed to Iowa (Cooper Koch)

* 1 has committed elsewhere (Morez Johnson Jr was offer #6 of the 25 total; Iowa offered on Sep 22, 2021; he committed to Illinois on 11/28/21)

* 23 are Undecided

Reactions: jt91

perryhawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
The original post has been updated.

Fran has given out 25 offers so far for the 2024 Class.

* 7 of the 25 have visited Iowa City (1 Officially, 6 Unofficially--they pay their own way).

--OFFICIAL VISITS:
Donnie Freeman (Sep 17, 2022)

--UNOFFICIAL VISITS:
Raleigh Burgess (Sep 17, 2022)
Isaac Asuma (June 27, 2022)
Caleb Middleton (Oct 9, 2021)
Cooper Koch (Oct 9, 2021)
Kon Knueppel (Sep 18, 2021)
JT Rock (Sep 4, 2021)

* 1 of the 25 total offered has committed to Iowa (Cooper Koch)

* 1 has committed elsewhere (Morez Johnson Jr was offer #6 of the 25 total; Iowa offered on Sep 22, 2021; he committed to Illinois on 11/28/21)

* 23 are Undecided
I read somewhere that Isaac Asuma is scheduling a second visit to ISU.......damn those guys.

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Tyler Betsey was offer #18 of 25 total offers Fran has given out for the 2024 class. Iowa offered on June 20, 2022.

Hate to be negative, but this is my pick for "player Fran offers early, but ends up at a blue blood" in this class. Fran watched him quite a bit during Peach Jam which kind of made me look into him more. He's a prototypical "3 and D" wing so he just fits on every roster in the country (a la TJ Power)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Nice FREE story on Caden Wilkins. Iowa is watching him and staying in touch but has not offered. He unofficially visited Iowa on Sat Sep 18, 2021. He took a SECOND unofficial visit the weekend of Sat Sep 17, 2022 (Nevada football game).

Reactions: jt91

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
Nice FREE story on Caden Wilkins. Iowa is watching him and staying in touch but has not offered. He unofficially visited Iowa on Sat Sep 18, 2021. He took a SECOND unofficial visit the weekend of Sat Sep 17, 2022 (Nevada football game).

He seems like a taller Josh Dix-type of player, which isn't a bad thing. He handles the ball really well with both hands and seems to play decent defense for a young kid.

Reactions: Franisdaman

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
What are your thoughts on what the Iowa staff is trying to close this recruiting class out with?....are we going mostly for the versatile forward types, or a mobile big?......I just wish I could quiz Fran on those recruiting calculations.....
Are you talking '23 or '24? For '23 I think they've made it clear they are trying to land a big--Seye is I think priority #1. After that, they seem to be scouting some other guys: Pierce from FL, Rubin from Chicago, Bath from Minneapolis. I think Heide is a lost cause at this point unfortunately.

Reactions: perryhawk

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Are you talking '23 or '24? For '23 I think they've made it clear they are trying to land a big--Seye is I think priority #1. After that, they seem to be scouting some other guys: Pierce from FL, Rubin from Chicago, Bath from Minneapolis. I think Heide is a lost cause at this point unfortunately.
For '24, I think there are some clear "buckets" of similar players. I think fall recruiting you can likely find the hierarchy of how they view players just because they can only visit 1 gym at a time vs an AAU tournament where they can scout dozens of players at once. From my read (and it's just an opinion based off where coaches are traveling to and trying to get visits from), it seems the priority is 3 point shooting guards and wings and a big man. The only guy at point guard they really seem to be pursuing right now is Asuma. But it's early so all of this is really fluid. If I were to put out a recruiting board right now it would look something like this:

PG: Asuma

Shooting: Mills, Betsey, Teng, Indrusaitis, Knueppel, Guerengomba

Athletic Forwards: Koch (Shooter/Forward hybrid), Tucker

Bigs: Freeman (Big/Forward hybrid), Rock, Burgess, Middleton

perryhawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Yeah I'm basically referring to the 2023 class.....I think even Seye, although the height for a post player, is so coordinated and versatile that he's more of a skilled PF. Guy's like Heide and Bath are in the 6' 8/9" size with some athleticism that appears to me to be a PF more than a post.....So, maybe Fran thinks of this more as someone having the size to defend the post but the athleticism and skills to be that "positionless" type of player?

That has me wondering about JO and Riley when Rebraca is done......are they going to pan out, leave? Does Fran feel like we need more help for Freeman?.....I'm wondering what he's thinking there and do the 2023 targets tell us anything about that?

Reactions: HawkHoops80

hooper56

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
Yeah I'm basically referring to the 2023 class.....I think even Seye, although the height for a post player, is so coordinated and versatile that he's more of a skilled PF. Guy's like Heide and Bath are in the 6' 8/9" size with some athleticism that appears to me to be a PF more than a post.....So, maybe Fran thinks of this more as someone having the size to defend the post but the athleticism and skills to be that "positionless" type of player?

That has me wondering about JO and Riley when Rebraca is done......are they going to pan out, leave? Does Fran feel like we need more help for Freeman?.....I'm wondering what he's thinking there and do the 2023 targets tell us anything about that?
I think it is more about getting the best bigs and wings available and molding the team around their individual talents. Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of picking and choosing who we want ala Kentucky, Duke, or Gonzaga.

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022

I think it's fair to say that desiring a second post player in '23 likely hints that Fran isn't all that thrilled with how JO and/or Mulvey have developed. It's also probably the reason why this spring they spent a lot of time, energy and resources on trying to land a big from the portal. Hopefully at least one of them steps up to the plate and is ready to take on decent backup minutes for Filip this year and then in '23 ready to start.

It would not shock me at all that whoever ends up as the 3rd man in the center rotation this year transfers after this year--especially if Fran is successful at landing another big in this class. The writing would basically be on the wall at that point. Of course, that's just speculation on my part. I hope for both our sake as fans and their sake as players that both JO and Mulvey continue to develop and can provide meaningful minutes here.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
What are your thoughts on what the Iowa staff is trying to close this recruiting class out with?....are we going mostly for the versatile forward types, or a mobile big?......I just wish I could quiz Fran on those recruiting calculations.....

With 5 scholarships currently available for the 2024 class, we have a lot of holes to fill.

And speaking of recruiting calculations for the 2024 class, keep in mind that Josh Ogundele, Tony Perkins, Ahron Ulis, Kris Murray (likely gone) and Patrick McCaffery could take advantage of the free, additional covid year where they would count against the 13 scholarship limit for the 2024-2025 season.

* We need a shooting guard. If Fran offers Caden Wilkins (6'6" SG) out of Bettendorf, that will fill that need.

* I think we have a great shot at JT Rock, the 7 footer out of South Dakota.

Fran has given out 25 offers so far for the 2024 Class. Right now I am focused on the 7 of these 25 who have actually visited (1 Officially, 6 Unofficially--they pay their own way).

--1 OFFICIAL VISIT:
Donnie Freeman (Sep 17, 2022)...6'9, 200, PF

--6 UNOFFICIAL VISITS:
Raleigh Burgess (Sep 17, 2022)...6'10, 230, PF
Isaac Asuma (June 27, 2022).........6'2, 185, PG
Caleb Middleton (Oct 9, 2021)...6'10, 200, PF
Cooper Koch (Oct 9, 2021)............6'7, 205, PF
Kon Knueppel (Sep 18, 2021)........6'5, 205, SG
JT Rock (Sep 4, 2021).....................7'0, 225, C

This is where things stand right now:

2024-2025 Roster (8 on Scholarship; 5 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 1 player

6'7" PF Cooper Koch (****)

SOPHOMORES: 3 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman (***)

6'0" PG Brock Harding (***)

6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort (***)

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen (***)

6'5" SG Josh Dix (***)

SENIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

JUNIORS: 2 players

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on. Carter ended up redshirting the 2021-2022 season so he is now scheduled to graduate in 2026.

Amarion Nimmers--a 2022 6'3" combo guard; on April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Last edited:

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
When it comes to Raleigh Burgess, the 6'10 PF out of Cincinnati, we have a couple things going for us.

* He is an AAU teammate of Cooper Koch.

* Getting a visit is key, obviously. Raleigh, of course, took an unofficial visit last weekend (Nevada football game).

In July, Cooper, Raleigh and their Indiana Elite team won the Adidas 16U Championship in Rock Hill SC.

Hopefully they both will want to win a National Championship at Iowa. @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

FXZNzFgXEAU_9t1

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
2024 prospects with Iowa offers who took visits to other schools this weekend:

John Bol, C -- Missouri, OV
Nojus Indrusaitis, SG -- Iowa State, UV
Isaac Asuma, PG -- Iowa State, UV
Liam McNeely, PF -- Indiana, OV

Reactions: Franisdaman