ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

At the 46 minute mark of this Hawkeye Report Podcast (link at end of post), Tom Kakert & Matt Randazzo talk recruiting.

Malachi Moreno will be unofficially visiting this weekend. Malachi was offer #7 of 7 total offers Fran has handed out so far for the 2025 class. Iowa offered on Aug 24, 2022. Rivals reports him with offers from Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Cincinnati and Missouri.

JT Rock & Cooper Koch will be in town this weekend as well.

Link to Listen:

This class is going to be easy to fill. :)

Jack McCaffery
Luke Wieskamp

And that is Class of 2025 Braden Freeman to the right of Brock Harding.

Brock is listed at 6'0.

I've heard from a few people that have told me that Braden who is now 6-6 and along with another sophomore on the Moline team in Treyvon Taylor who is 6-5, both are listed among the top 25 freshmen in the country right now. For what it's worth...it won't be long until that bit of information is proven correct or not, as the season begins in about 5 weeks. Practice started on November 7th.

I've heard from a few people that have told me that Braden who is now 6-6 and along with another sophomore on the Moline team in Treyvon Taylor who is 6-5, both are listed among the top 25 freshmen in the country right now. For what it's worth...it won't be long until that bit of information is proven correct or not, as the season begins in about 5 weeks. Practice started on November 7th.
Are you sure they didn't say top 25 freshman in the state, because I did see an Illinois prep article a while back where I know at least Braden was on the list. All of the main recruiting services have initial 2025 rankings out and I have not seen either of them listed--doesn't mean they aren't really good players though; ranking 15 year olds isn't exactly an exact science.

Are you sure they didn't say top 25 freshman in the state, because I did see an Illinois prep article a while back where I know at least Braden was on the list. All of the main recruiting services have initial 2025 rankings out and I have not seen either of them listed--doesn't mean they aren't really good players though; ranking 15 year olds isn't exactly an exact science.
You're probably right, that I mistook the conversation about those two. Still really looking forward to both college and high school basketball this season.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
ILLQCHawk - keep us posted on anything you hear or observations from games you may attend on Owen, Braden, Brock, and Treyvon please.

You sure would think we’d have an edge on the 2025 guys.

Sorry because this doesn't belong in this thread and maybe has been discussed before, but Raef Lafrenz' son was an 8th grader last season at Decorah Iowa and is currently 6'8 or 6'9.

Might be someone to watch, although he's very thin.
I'm sure he'll be followed closely, BUT I'd also say there is less then a ZERO chance that Raef would EVER allow his son to be recruited or signed by Iowa. Not a chance in Hell.......

I'm sure he'll be followed closely, BUT I'd also say there is less then a ZERO chance that Raef would EVER allow his son to be recruited or signed by Iowa. Not a chance in Hell.......
I’m curious why you say that? This is a completely different coaching staff. Raef brought his family back to Iowa to live….his college coach is retired….he can’t still be angry about something some decades ago.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I’m curious why you say that? This is a completely different coaching staff. Raef brought his family back to Iowa to live….his college coach is retired….he can’t still be angry about something some decades ago.
If Kansas offers, Raef's son will likely go there. I have not seen or heard anything which would indicate Raef is okay with Iowa. Like you, I would like to think that the whole episode is water over the dam.

If Kansas offers, Raef's son will likely go there. I have not seen or heard anything which would indicate Raef is okay with Iowa. Like you, I would like to think that the whole episode is water over the dam.
Yeah we’re pretty much on the same page but the poster I was asking said there was less than a zero percent chance. Not a chance in Hell.. and never mentioned Kansas. So it sounds very definitive, like he has some inside info.

If the post said “it’s my opinion” would be different.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Even after he retired from the NBA he was still very public that he would ALWAYS do whatever he could to steer any players from ever going to Iowa. I think you underestimate his resolve from the scars he still carries after his treatment from Iowa fans and even HF who was very public about Raef's decision not to go to Iowa. One of my wifes sisters worked with his Dad at his high school, and it was ugly back then.

Not from public comments he's made even after he retired from the league, its not....

Not doubting your intel but could you explain why this is?

Reactions: perryhawk
Even after he retired from the NBA he was still very public that he would ALWAYS do whatever he could to steer any players from ever going to Iowa. I think you underestimate his resolve from the scars he still carries after his treatment from Iowa fans and even HF who was very public about Raef's decision not to go to Iowa. One of my wifes sisters worked with his Dad at his high school, and it was ugly back then.
This would not be a big surprise. Instate kids going elsewhere catch a ridiculous amount of angst from stupid spoiled brat people.

ILLQCHawk - keep us posted on anything you hear or observations from games you may attend on Owen, Braden, Brock, and Treyvon please.

You sure would think we’d have an edge on the 2025 guys.
Just FYI, as far as I know, almost all Moline varsity basketball games will have radio streaming service; QCSportsnet.com. Usually they start programing 15 minutes before the start of games. If you want me I can include a full schedule of all 30 Moline games in a reply.

Reactions: skydog0784
I mean everyone knows where he is going to end up, so I'm sure other coaches aren't going to waste their time.
But iowa hasn't officially offered have they?

I get other schools not wasting their time, but seems odd that Iowa has not officially extended the offer (or maybe they have but Jack didn't make it public?)

Last edited:
But iowa hasn't officially offered have they?

I get other schools not wasting their time, but seems odd that Iowa has not officially extended the offer (or maybe they have but Jack didn't make it public?)
I'm sure it's more of the latter in that Jack hasn't made a Twitter post to announce it and it'd be weird if his AAU coach reported it which is how offers typically get announced.

I'm sure it's more of the latter in that Jack hasn't made a Twitter post to announce it and it'd be weird if his AAU coach reported it which is how offers typically get announced.

He doesn't have an offer yet.

But I would expect that to happen this season.

CMac was class of 2017 and he was offered and committed very early 8/30/2014
PMac was class of 2019 and he was offered and committed 10/5/2017
JMac is class of 2025 so he's just behind CMac in getting an offer and committing it appears.... so there's time.

Tom did a nice piece this spring on Jack having to "earn" his offer. I know Fran has wanted to see him rebound better.

Last edited:
Not doubting your intel but could you explain why this is?
Just remember he took a beating from Iowa fans when he chose KU. We were very good then and many thought we were that one great post player from being a national championship contender. Fry was recruiting Dwight and Banks back then and he made a point of saying he couldn't understand how a kid who's parent taught at an Iowa school and was raised there could choose elsewhere, When Raef was in the league and even after he still talked publicly about how he was treated and how he would always steer players away from going to Iowa. I really doubt he'd advise his son to go to Iowa.

Reactions: bowlhawk
Just FYI, as far as I know, almost all Moline varsity basketball games will have radio streaming service; QCSportsnet.com. Usually they start programing 15 minutes before the start of games. If you want me I can include a full schedule of all 30 Moline games in a reply.
Yes please. I’ll give a few a listen. Thanks..

Just remember he took a beating from Iowa fans when he chose KU. We were very good then and many thought we were that one great post player from being a national championship contender. Fry was recruiting Dwight and Banks back then and he made a point of saying he couldn't understand how a kid who's parent taught at an Iowa school and was raised there could choose elsewhere, When Raef was in the league and even after he still talked publicly about how he was treated and how he would always steer players away from going to Iowa. I really doubt he'd advise his son to go to Iowa.
Any links to these comments by Raef? I haven't read that but it may be true.

Well then he's a giant oversized baby IMO. Get over yourself and let your kid make his own decisions, you arsehole.

I cannot claim my memory is 100% accurate (it's not) but I seem to recall it was quite well known Raef received some $pecial benefits to go to Kansas and I think they even found some jobs for his parents who moved down to the area. This was way before NIL so it was cheating. Apparently he was annoyed at some Iowa fans who let him know they thought he was a traitor.

He doesn't have an offer yet.

But I would expect that to happen this season.

CMac was class of 2017 and he was offered and committed very early 8/30/2014
PMac was class of 2019 and he was offered and committed 10/5/2017
JMac is class of 2025 so he's just behind CMac in getting an offer and committing it appears.... so there's time.

Tom did a nice piece this spring on Jack having to "earn" his offer. I know Fran has wanted to see him rebound better.

Seems like Jack is closer in size to Patrick, but without the disadvantage of health delaying his progression. It's early, but will Jack be the best of the 3 brothers at Iowa?

Reactions: perryhawk
Seems like Jack is closer in size to Patrick, but without the disadvantage of health delaying his progression. It's early, but will Jack be the best of the 3 brothers at Iowa?
It remains to be seen but it’s likely he’ll be the most physically imposing of the three brothers. If Jack continues to work on his skills he’ll be a really good player by the end of high school.

I cannot claim my memory is 100% accurate (it's not) but I seem to recall it was quite well known Raef received some $pecial benefits to go to Kansas and I think they even found some jobs for his parents who moved down to the area. This was way before NIL so it was cheating. Apparently he was annoyed at some Iowa fans who let him know they thought he was a traitor.
I have a vivid recollection hearing that his parents received both a condo and jobs in Lawrence. I’m sure none of us would be a bit surprised additional benefits were provided to Raef.

Any links to these comments by Raef? I haven't read that but it may be true.
Honestly no, most of this happened 30-35 years ago, although even when he was in the league he made comments about the whole deal. I'm sure given the nature of fans he got a rough time at his school, community and from Iowa fans in general. We were pretty good back then, and he may have been that one big player. Can you imagine how bad he'd get roasted now, by fans between this board and social media?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT