ADVERTISEMENT

New Story --23 recruits visiting for the spring game Friday--

Apr 8, 2003
We will continue to update if there are more additions. Here's the current list:

---

Class of 2018

Noah Shannon - 6-foot-2, 285-pound DT from Oswego, IL (Iowa offer)

Bryson Williams - 6-foot-2, 293-pound DT from Lincoln, NE (Iowa offer)

Samson Evans - 6-foot-0, 200-pound WR from Crystal Lake, IL (Iowa offer)

Jeff Jenkins - 6-foot-4, 260-pound OL from Crystal Lake, IL (Iowa commit)

Dillon Doyle - 6-foot-3, 215-pound LB from Iowa City, IA (Iowa commit)

Nate Carter - 6-foot-5, 190-pound QB from Waunakee, WI

R.J. Clarke - 6-foot-4, 255-pound DT from St. Francis, WI

Taj Mustapha - 6-foot-1, 170-pound WR from West Bloomfield, MI

Nathan Nelson - 6-foot-2, 210-pound DE from Waukee, IA

Isaiah Westfall - 6-foot-3, 175-pound WR from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Darquise Winters - 5-foot-11, 150-pound WR from Two Rivers, WI

Zach Whaley - 6-foot-4, 270-pound DT from Prior Lake, MN

Blake Van Veldhuizen - 6-foot-1, 270-pound DT from Oskaloosa, IA

Spencer Rolland - 6-foot-7, 225-pound OL from Apple Valley, MN

Seth Howard - 6-foot-1, 186-pound QB from Oskaloosa, IA

Ian Bass - 6-foot-4, 273-pound OL from Rosemount, MN

Nathan Boe - 6-foot-4, 250-pound OL from Lakeville, MN

---

Class of 2019

Logan Lee - 6-foot-5, 225-pound TE from Orion, IL (Iowa offer)

Max Duggan - 6-foot-2, 180-pound QB from Council Bluffs, IA (Iowa offer)

Tyler Endres - 6-foot-6, 280-pound OL from Norwalk, IA (Iowa offer)

Quinn Schulte - 6-foot-1, 175-pound WR from Cedar Rapids, IA

Karst Hunter - 6-foot-4, 190-pound QB from Miller, SD

Nick Broeker - 6-foot-5, 251-pound OL from Springfield, IL

Reactions: ichawk24
Would be nice to get a commit or two out of these visits. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like the staff has overreacted to the Eno fiasco and went even more laid back in their recruiting tactics. I get telling the kid it is good to take other visits and make sure, but there is also something to be said about a hard sell. Maybe that's just my impression and that I am totally wrong.

Would be nice to get a commit or two out of these visits. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like the staff has overreacted to the Eno fiasco and went even more laid back in their recruiting tactics. I get telling the kid it is good to take other visits and make sure, but there is also something to be said about a hard sell. Maybe that's just my impression and that I am totally wrong.
Yes it would. I know we are going a bit smaller this class potentially. I hope some of our early key targets are just taking their time right now. There are a number of names I'd like to see here, that I'm not. If we got commits from Parker, Bussell, and Tracy soon, we would be sitting pretty. Parker may be the only Missouri kid we get. Trout and Thompson have said good things but may be out of reach. We'll see who is in play as we go forward.

Any others that might be legitimately considering us within the next few months? Geil? Waggoner?

Correct...you are totally wrong!

Former Texas A&M O line trevor Elbert will be at the spring game. Wonder what kind of eligibility he has left?

Looks like he should have at least 3 years. I don't think he really played at all in 2016. Hope he's good to go.

He's had 2 season ending shoulder surgeries. One in high school and another last season. Sounds like a good idea to have him walk on. I hope he avoids further complications and can contribute greatly.

To bad they don't have Downing and Waggoner coming, although Downing seems like ISU's to lose. Seems like he is there every other weekend.

Anybody have a vibe on how many commits we plan to take in the '18 class? A lot obviously depends on attrition - but the number I'm looking at is around 16 'ships ... and that's even assuming some "natural" attrition.

Perhaps that is part of the reason why the class hasn't been loaded up with commits yet - there are only so many we can give this year.

I would guess the class ends up at about 18-20. I think there are about 16 Seniors and there is always some attrition.

There are 14 SRs on scholarship that I know about - that includes former walk-ons like Pekar and Ward.

I would still say it probably ends up at 18-20 in the class. A couple freshman will transfer and a few others will transfer or end their career due to injury.

We will continue to update if there are more additions. Here's the current list:

---

Class of 2018

Noah Shannon - 6-foot-2, 285-pound DT from Oswego, IL (Iowa offer)

Bryson Williams - 6-foot-2, 293-pound DT from Lincoln, NE (Iowa offer)

Samson Evans - 6-foot-0, 200-pound WR from Crystal Lake, IL (Iowa offer)

Jeff Jenkins - 6-foot-4, 260-pound OL from Crystal Lake, IL (Iowa commit)

Dillon Doyle - 6-foot-3, 215-pound LB from Iowa City, IA (Iowa commit)

Nate Carter - 6-foot-5, 190-pound QB from Waunakee, WI

R.J. Clarke - 6-foot-4, 255-pound DT from St. Francis, WI

Taj Mustapha - 6-foot-1, 170-pound WR from West Bloomfield, MI

Nathan Nelson - 6-foot-2, 210-pound DE from Waukee, IA

Isaiah Westfall - 6-foot-3, 175-pound WR from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Darquise Winters - 5-foot-11, 150-pound WR from Two Rivers, WI

Zach Whaley - 6-foot-4, 270-pound DT from Prior Lake, MN

Blake Van Veldhuizen - 6-foot-1, 270-pound DT from Oskaloosa, IA

Spencer Rolland - 6-foot-7, 225-pound OL from Apple Valley, MN

Seth Howard - 6-foot-1, 186-pound QB from Oskaloosa, IA

Ian Bass - 6-foot-4, 273-pound OL from Rosemount, MN

Nathan Boe - 6-foot-4, 250-pound OL from Lakeville, MN

---

Class of 2019

Logan Lee - 6-foot-5, 225-pound TE from Orion, IL (Iowa offer)

Max Duggan - 6-foot-2, 180-pound QB from Council Bluffs, IA (Iowa offer)

Tyler Endres - 6-foot-6, 280-pound OL from Norwalk, IA (Iowa offer)

Quinn Schulte - 6-foot-1, 175-pound WR from Cedar Rapids, IA

Karst Hunter - 6-foot-4, 190-pound QB from Miller, SD

Nick Broeker - 6-foot-5, 251-pound OL from Springfield, IL

Blair,

How does this compare to previous years? Is this being on a Friday hurting the kids' ability to get to Iowa City or are they just taking Friday off from school?

Thanks for your insight. It will be interesting to see the impact of moving from Saturday to Friday.

Blair,

How does this compare to previous years? Is this being on a Friday hurting the kids' ability to get to Iowa City or are they just taking Friday off from school?

Thanks for your insight. It will be interesting to see the impact of moving from Saturday to Friday.
Last year's group wasn't very big and that was on a Saturday. I'd say between 10-15 visitors usually, so having 23 this year is an increase.

Here's a graphic showing last year's visitors.

proxy.php

Anybody have a vibe on how many commits we plan to take in the '18 class? A lot obviously depends on attrition - but the number I'm looking at is around 16 'ships ... and that's even assuming some "natural" attrition.

Perhaps that is part of the reason why the class hasn't been loaded up with commits yet - there are only so many we can give this year.

16?

I'll take that bet. How much you wanna wager?

16?

I'll take that bet. How much you wanna wager?

I would still say it probably ends up at 18-20 in the class. A couple freshman will transfer and a few others will transfer or end their career due to injury.

As David stated, it will all depend on how much attrition we end up dealing with. As it stands, the coaches must be anticipating some attrition ... because otherwise we won't hit 85 guys by the fall. So how much attrition will we have IN ADDITION to that? I have no idea. However, I am of the impression that most of the younger guys are still pretty happy with the program.

As David stated, it will all depend on how much attrition we end up dealing with. As it stands, the coaches must be anticipating some attrition ... because otherwise we won't hit 85 guys by the fall. So how much attrition will we have IN ADDITION to that? I have no idea. However, I am of the impression that most of the younger guys are still pretty happy with the program.

I'll take that as a "decline".

Reactions: David1979
I hope Evans and Shannon jump on board soon, I like them both.

I wonder why Waggoner and Linderbaum aren't going to be there. Was also hoping the posibbly Geil or Bussell would be in town.

Nice list of attendees though for a Friday night. What's the weather forecast?

I'd bet it'd be great for 2019 recruiting if this class does fill up at the game. They could be ahead of the recruiting game for the next cycle.

Last edited:
Ironic that you have 85 scholly players and about the same amount of fans in the stands for your spring game. The recruits should be blown away!

Reactions: 8675309husker
Ironic that you have 85 scholly players and about the same amount of fans in the stands for your spring game. The recruits should be blown away!
We tend to bring our recruits and fill our stands for real games because we normally win them. I can understand why Nebraska would load up their stands and sidelines for a scrimmage though, it's one of the few times they can get out of there without a loss. Oh, and you don't know what ironic means.

85 players, 85 people in the stands Lol! Recruits will be laughing about that, just like the rest of the Big Ten!:p
As much time as you guys obsess with us, I'd be surprised if less than half of them were nebraska fans driving over from omaha.

Shouldn't you be concentrating on Arkansas St. right now, little red? 40-10,

was hoping to see a few more from Missouri attending
Baseball, track, and soccer in every state this time of year takes a lot of visits out. Hopefully every football recruit is running track and with meets throughout the week it is tough for some kids. Also, this Spring game thing is not a great day to have a recruiting visit.

85 players, 85 people in the stands Lol! Recruits will be laughing about that, just like the rest of the Big Ten!:p
God.... you guys were good 20 years ago. I remember the grand times when you were actually a player in the college game. The option offense was so explosive playing that tough conference schedule of Oklahoma and ....... um......um....well Oklahoma. Dang it...I wish they would bring back the BIG8 back so it could be cool again to Cornfusker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT