ADVERTISEMENT

231-192: House passes legislation providing $28 million in emergency spending to the FDA to address the baby formula shortage

Seems the GOP voted for one bill to increase baby formula via the WIC program. They mostly voted against the $28 million because they had proposed a different bill that didn't make it to a vote.

Why isn't the Biden administration doing something???

Oh, wait. Not that. We'll oppose that. Try something else. What? Abstinence.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Why isn't the Biden administration doing something???

Oh, wait. Not that. We'll oppose that. Try something else. What? Abstinence.
I don’t see criticism of Biden here. Quit creating straw mans out of thin air. I think you just enjoy reading your own posts.

Did you read the bill? ALL it says is that $28 million will be available to the FDA until Sept 2023. That's it. WTF are you cheering about? The lame ass administration could have been working to alleviate the situation since October but hasn't until now. And just making some money available to a government agency is your big plan to applaud?
It beats the Republicans' plan, which is....what?

You're right.

Nothing.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Seems the GOP voted for one bill to increase baby formula via the WIC program. They mostly voted against the $28 million because they had proposed a different bill that didn't make it to a vote.

Yes Republicans overwhelmingly voted for the bill that would put more formula in the hands of poor people.

They voted against spending that has little guardrails and is likely to have zero effect on the immediate formula crisis.

Reactions: timinatoria
Does anybody really think formula made in a country like Germany would be unsafe to import?

The FDA regulations were made to block imports in the name of safety....and help the domestic producers maintain their market share.

Atleast the shit we are talking about passing is in the millions and not billions like usual, that's a start.

Now change the rules, due to the extreme circumstances of a pandemic, and stop the government from buying the product to hand to illegals at the border. Might slow dow the rush if they here there isn't food waiting for them.
They aren't handing it out at the border. The country must comply with our laws and feed infants in detention though.

They aren't handing it out at the border. The country must comply with our laws and feed infants in detention though.
Or make an make a short period amendment that says due to extreme circumstances we don't HAVE to feed them and allow American citizens the access to the formula which will also.slow down immigration. You think if I flee to Mexico they are going to pass out free formula for my children?

Rs voted against the bill because it does not nothing to actually solve the problem. Biden did nothing for months and now wants to throw money at the problem that will not be used until after the shortage is over.

Or make an make a short period amendment that says due to extreme circumstances we don't HAVE to feed them and allow American citizens the access to the formula which will also.slow down immigration. You think if I flee to Mexico they are going to pass out free formula for my children?
We just think different on this one. IMHO, if our country has infants detained we should feed them.

Yes Republicans overwhelmingly voted for the bill that would put more formula in the hands of poor people.

They voted against spending that has little guardrails and is likely to have zero effect on the immediate formula crisis.
How would allowing formula to be purchased by WIC suddenly make formula appear? Some kind of sorcery?

I asked in another formula thread if you were good with breaking the law due to supply chain issues which you failed to answer. Thank you for doing that now. I choose not to go down that potentially slippery slope.

I asked in another formula thread if you were good with breaking the law due to supply chain issues which you failed to answer. Thank you for doing that now. I choose not to go down that potentially slippery slope.
Must have missed it, sorry mate. Also, I would right it as an addendum to the law to not break it. We are un unprecedented times. I realize it isn't the child's fault the parent drug their ass from whatever country but the parent figured our how to feed them on the way. It with deter people from coming and it will help Americans. Remember we are nor talking about Legal immigration here.

Rs voted against the bill because it does not nothing to actually solve the problem. Biden did nothing for months and now wants to throw money at the problem that will not be used until after the shortage is over.
Trying to prevent the same from happening again isn't part of the solution?

I have a hard time believing lack of $$$ is why the FDA F’d up.

They need more $$$ to allow imports?
Manufacturing is consolidated in too few locations. One of them (20% of nation's supply) is shut down. Unfortunately, business has been allowed to operate recklessly in this important area.

Must have missed it, sorry mate. Also, I would right it as an addendum to the law to not break it. We are un unprecedented times. I realize it isn't the child's fault the parent drug their ass from whatever country but the parent figured our how to feed them on the way. It with deter people from coming and it will help Americans. Remember we are nor talking about Legal immigration here.
Still a slippery slope my friend.

Manufacturing is consolidated in too few locations. One of them (20% of nation's supply) is shut down. Unfortunately, business has been allowed to operate recklessly in this important area.
I think there we’re probably folks at the FDA that helped that along.

FDA doesn’t have a great track record

Put in bs regulations to limit imports and you basically have a domestic monopoly. Get a sweet gig at one of those 4 companies when you’re done at the FDA

Please.

Many of our problems - not just this baby formula issue - stem from under-funding and under-staffing the agencies that keep them safe and functioning in accordance with our agreed priorities.

When they blow up in our face, it makes sense to reverse that neglect.

Unfortunately, Rs actually prefer to inflict neglect - because their big money donors prefer to operate with minimal scrutiny.
Issues like this stem from the inane amount hurdles and red tape that make agility and responses next to impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT