ADVERTISEMENT

24-3

SA_Hawk

HR All-American
Jan 8, 2022
Lincoln, NE
iowa.rivals.com
After rewatching the game this morning 24-3 is what the final score should of been or the very least 17-3.

If we just assume the 7-3 you have the missed FG early 10-3.

The L. Williams fumble inside the 5 yard line 17-3. That was the one time in the game we had SDSU on its heels and a little gassed. Kid from Solon made a huge play for them.

The miss on the screen pass 24-3. On TV it appears to be well setup and blocked for a scamper to the endzone. I wasn't at the game so this may not have been as open as I think.

If it finished 24-3 or 17-3 I probably wouldn't be looking to see if any place nearby has skydiving without parachutes.

Don’t worry, Captain Kirk says everything is all right. All part of the plan.

‘Scuse me while I ralph in my mouth a little bit.

After rewatching the game this morning 24-3 is what the final score should of been or the very least 17-3.

The L. Williams fumble inside the 5 yard line 17-3. That was the one time in the game we had SDSU on its heels and a little gassed. Kid from Solon made a huge play for them.

The miss on the screen pass 24-3. On TV it appears to be well setup and blocked for a scamper to the endzone. I wasn't at the game so this may not have been as open as I think.

If it finished 24-3 or 17-3 I probably wouldn't be looking to see if any place nearby has skydiving without parachutes.
Yes, the hawk offense had one of those games where it seemed 4 of 5 linemen blocked their guy but one guy got beat, where a few of the good passes were dropped, that screen pass you mentioned was a fake screen to the right and it so happened a blitzer was coming from the left and was into Petras to disrupt that throw, the INT was caused because the pass rush got to him and a guy was tackling and turning him from behind as Petras needed to step up on that one. I thought a lot of little things went wrong.

And add to that there were just some bad passes, bad blocking, and other things to go along with near misses and that leads to a really bad game.

But I agree 17-3 sounds 'Workmanlike"

Last edited:

Convenient to only point out where the Hawks would have, could have, should have, what about the Jackrabbits overthrowing a wide open receiver for 6 or the “should have” pick 6 against Petrus. Bottom line is the offense is beyond terrible.

Add in a terrible interception right before half and they wouldn’t have scored.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
The drive where Williams fumbled at the 5 was the one bright spot of the day, where it finally looked like the offense had found a rhythm. Petras made a few good throws, line blocked effectively, and they were moving the ball.

Rest of the game, had some individual moments here and there - I appreciated that Williams ran hard and didn't try to dance and find the big gain, Bruce managed to have a solid day, despite the poor day from Petras. What positive moments we saw, almost entirely came in the 2nd half.

Hopefully the linemen learn from a painful growing experience - easy to forget that 2 were seeing their first game time period, and it was the first time Colby saw time at RT. Lord knows we need some receivers to get healthy as well.

Overall, imo I thought Brian called a decent game - only a handful of playcalls that I didn't like.

We played a really bad opponent. Look what we did when we played a higher ranked FCS opponent back in 2015?

Should Brian Kelley be fired also?..3 pts w all those 5 star kids almost 4th qtr?.
He's a first year coach that got handed a cluster imo.
I'd give him a little time to get his players and system in. Kirk is year 23.

the point is, we need to be good enough at offense that we can still make those mistakes and score 24 points,
not we do everything perfectly and score 24 points.

Missing our top two wide receivers, starting running back, three new offensive interior linemen and limiting ourselves to six basic running plays while facing a defensive front with two FCS all Americans. Next week against ISU will tell the tale. Fixable, plus koolade is great on a hot day. 😎❤️🏈

And when they do make a nice bowl game, you'll be here complaining about it.

You rewatched it? Could hardly make it through the first time watching it. LOL. You did make some good points though, forgot about the fumble on the 5 yard line, that was huge, Petras has a history of missing wide open receivers so who knows how many points we left on the field? Unfortunately after 3 seasons of starting at QB, think that is just who he is, and will leave allot of points on the field this year.

Remember, SDSU dropped a perfect pick 6 right in the chest.
Yep...the other was the WR overthrow in first quarter. Two separate plays that would have resulted in a loss.

Expecting five OLinemen to block 7-8 guys in the block is a losing idea.

But, unfortunately, that's too obvious for this incompetent offensive staff.

And we fans can only bitch, cause nothing ever changes.

Yep...the other was the WR overthrow in first quarter. Two separate plays that would have resulted in a loss.

Expecting five OLinemen to block 7-8 guys in the block is a losing idea.

But, unfortunately, that's too obvious for this incompetent offensive staff.

And we fans can only bitch, cause nothing ever changes.
What pick 6 did SDSU drop? I remember them dropping one - thrown to Pottebaum?, but no guarantee it gets brought back for a TD.

What pick 6 did SDSU drop? I remember them dropping one - thrown to Pottebaum?, but no guarantee it gets brought back for a TD.
There was another play in the flat later where the DB broke on the ball and it hit him right in the chest. He would probably have run right in for a score but didn't catch the ball..

There was another play in the flat later where the DB broke on the ball and it hit him right in the chest. He would probably have run right in for a score but didn't catch the ball..
Guess I’d have to rewatch it. Was at the game live so I don’t remember that.

Without rewatching the game, 3rd quarter maybe. Over the middle at about the Iowa 35/40 yard line. Defender going towards the sideline.

Reactions: kceasthawk

This is Iowa fandom in a nutshell. Coulda woulda shoulda. Games like this make me sick. Iowa had no business needing two safeties to win the fu@king game.

Reactions: Ronman and hoythawk

I thought the same thing but they missed a wide open deep pass when Merryweather came up instead of protecting deep, would have been 24-10. Bottom line, we need to execute better. Petras was sacked 6 times and hurried at least that many times, running game was serviceable. TE play was weak, WR was poor except Bruce, needs to improve. Petras needs to stop overthrowing receivers.

Quit trying to put lipstick on the pig with a bunch of what ifs. I remember a wide open wr getting overthrown and costing SD St an easy touchdown. They also dropped an easy interception. Our average field position was around mid field. Even bad offenses can put up 30 points with that luxury.

I thought the same thing but they missed a wide open deep pass when Merryweather came up instead of protecting deep, would have been 24-10. Bottom line, we need to execute better. Petras was sacked 6 times and hurried at least that many times, running game was serviceable. TE play was weak, WR was poor except Bruce, needs to improve. Petras needs to stop overthrowing receivers.
He doesn't throw to "receivers" he picks a couple of guys, usually the TE, and goes to them. The one thong Padilla did do was spread the targets around.

Reactions: hoythawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT