ADVERTISEMENT

24-man IA high school State brackets approved

Wow. How long has this been in the works? I know there have been lots of formatting ideas around here in the past but not sure how long it’s been officially on the agenda for consideration.

Love to know the logic on this one.

The only thing I see is the IHSAA and the Des Moines Chamber figure it brings more $$$ to town.
Moved the state duals to the normal sectional weekend.

They also had the option to go to 12 or 13 weight classes, but chose to stay at 14.

I'm too lazy to find it... 12 districts or three guys qualify from 8 districts?

There are 8 teams in each District and 2 kids qualify at each weight.

Not anymore, as the article posted in the original post states. A high % of 3A kids are going to make state.

I like the 24 man tournament as it gives more kids a shot but it is going to be watered down.

The state duals move is going to be good for that event.

Reactions: tomahawk21
Not anymore, as the article posted in the original post states. A high % of 3A kids are going to make state.

I like the 24 man tournament as it gives more kids a shot but it is going to be watered down.

I like all the changes except for the 24 wrestlers. I think it would be better if the 3 classes were more even in terms of schools. If it went 80 schools in 3A, 80 schools in 2A, and the rest in 1A it would be more even. So then you are looking at 30% of 3A and 2A kids would make it to state. Right now in 3A it would be 37.5% and in 2A it would be 25%.

I worry we are going to see more 500 records or worse in state and it be watered down a little

I worry we are going to see more 500 records or worse in state and it be watered down a little
I'd rather have that than see a great wrestler stay home because he finished behind two even better ones. I'm an eastern Iowa guy. We will see some sub 500 records. But in central Iowa, if you are slated to be in SEP's district this is a great move by the state.

So which is it? Can't read the article.

My understanding is 3x8 districts, 24 man state brackets. But could be slightly different in 1A?

So which is it? Can't read the article.

My understanding is 3x8 districts, 24 man state brackets. But could be slightly different in 1A?
24 wrestlers in each bracket. How many districts for 1A/2A is TBD.

May slightly "water down" the tournament, but there seemed to be a good amount of districts that had 3 or more ranked wrestlers this year.

Reactions: Samoy
May slightly "water down" the tournament, but there seemed to be a good amount of districts that had 3 or more ranked wrestlers this year.

I hope they do 8x3. The 3rd place matches will be wars. And it eliminates the true 2nd wrestleback match.

When state duals were at their most popular and attendance was at its peak, they were the week following the traditional state tournament.

I wish people would think that history started 10 years ago.

Let’s be honest… For that event there was no such thing as a peak. But the move to having it right before state benefited no one, including the attendance. This is the best so far, I think.

Reactions: just_somebody
Wonder if they'll do away with the rule at district that first round losers can only wrestle back to 5th place?

They have not decided on the number of districts yet for 2A and 1A because if they go 8 districts with more teams then most schools that have hosted sectionals and or districts in the past probably cant accommodate that many teams and fans in their gym but if they go 12 districts it thins it our a little. The bottom line is it all comes down to money thats why the state is going with 4 full days of the individual state tourney. I personally think 24 kids is too many per weight now they will probably build a new podium and give 10 placements at state. They say they are going to give multiple sites consideration for the state duels but im guessing it will either be at the new arena in Coralville or in Cedar Rapids since they took the state volleyball championships away from there.

They have not decided on the number of districts yet for 2A and 1A because if they go 8 districts with more teams then most schools that have hosted sectionals and or districts in the past probably cant accommodate that many teams and fans in their gym but if they go 12 districts it thins it our a little. The bottom line is it all comes down to money thats why the state is going with 4 full days of the individual state tourney. I personally think 24 kids is too many per weight now they will probably build a new podium and give 10 placements at state. They say they are going to give multiple sites consideration for the state duels but im guessing it will either be at the new arena in Coralville or in Cedar Rapids since they took the state volleyball championships away from there.

The IGHSAU runs state volleyball. Nothing to do with this. Where did that move to?

They’d have to go 12 place winners not 10 unless they had the losers who didn’t make the consolation quarterfinals wrestle to see who goes for 9th/10th. o_O

Illinois has 3 classes with 16 kids in a weight on 6 mats and they get it done in 3 days. Doesn't Iowa use 8 mats? If so, they should be able to get it done in 3 days also.

Illinois has 3 classes with 16 kids in a weight on 6 mats and they get it done in 3 days. Doesn't Iowa use 8 mats? If so, they should be able to get it done in 3 days also.
Iowa has also been, 3 classes, 16 man bracket and it was done in 3 days. There was a couple years awhile back where they stretched it out to 4 days. Now they are adding 8 more wrestlers to the bracket and doing it in 4 days.

I love the new state dual scheduling, day before individual was bad for many reasons and week after is not feasible now because the massive AAU tournament is at Wells that weekend and damned near every ref in the state is needed for that.

14 weight classes is still ridiculous.

Too bad, imo, they didn't reduce that.

That’s a National level number, though, and in some areas fielding fourteen man rosters is not difficult. In fact, when my son was in HS in NJ, especially in the middle weights, there were often good wrestlers sitting on the bench. Forfeits were a rarity, even though the elite wrestlers left their public schools in favor of one of the dozen or so wrestling factories.

What they have always needed to do is center the weights class near 140 - 150 pounds, with fewer classes at the upper and lower levels. Instead, ten years ago they removed a weight class where all the good wrestlers are, and added an upper weight class where coaches already struggled to fill rosters. If weight classes aligned with our growth charts, filling the classes would not be so difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT