ADVERTISEMENT

#24 Ranked 2021 Class After Deavin Hilson & OL Michael Myslinski COMMIT.

Man, staff really screwed up on RB recruiting this year.
I don't know about that. Recruiting is all about cultivating relationships ... and with getting 2 RBs last year ... we were slated to only get one RB in the '21 class. Consequently, I think the coaches put most of their eggs in the Ricky Parks basket ... however, when all the poo hit the fan ... that soured our chances with him. Playing recruiting catch-up isn't the easiest thing to do ... particularly when you're trying to make sure that you bring in guys who fit your program.

Reactions: EKHawk and BEAN DOG
Now we can't flip a commit from Louisiana Lafayette?!!
Easier said than done ... some guys want to stick close to home. Furthermore, some guys would rather be a programs top choice ... rather than a desperation back-up.

Also, if you've ever read articles from some old Ferentz and Parker interviews ... they've had to give some over-looked recruits the strong sell ... in order to convince them that they're good enough to play at the highest level. Some guys would rather be guaranteed a shot at starting at a crap program ... rather than being in a scenario where they think their best shot is to be a back-up.

Mike Daniels was slated to go to somethin' like Villanova. Jovon Johnson was slated to go to some small place too ... swayed him to come to Iowa too. Josey Jewell was going to be going to Luther for god's sake! Jewell needed to be convinced that they believed in him before he opted to join the Hawks ... he didn't just want to be some sloppy left-over (Reece Morgan has a pretty colorful story about that exchange ... LOL).

Too bad. But it is Howe reporting. He loves reporting the bad news - who knows what crap from his keyboard is accurate. Probably reinforced the lawsuit when he talked to Williams.

No its not. Howe chose his direction - it was crap

giphy.gif

I don't know about that. Recruiting is all about cultivating relationships ... and with getting 2 RBs last year ... we were slated to only get one RB in the '21 class. Consequently, I think the coaches put most of their eggs in the Ricky Parks basket ... however, when all the poo hit the fan ... that soured our chances with him. Playing recruiting catch-up isn't the easiest thing to do ... particularly when you're trying to make sure that you bring in guys who fit your program.
I disagree. They bother things. First you don’t put all your eggs in one basket and second that was a long time ago. They have had plenty of time to get someone but are not aggressive enough with recruiting. Iowa is way too cautious with offers. You don’t have to offer everyone and their mother but you also don’t need to be so slow to offer as Iowa is a lot of times. With IKMs health uncertain for next year, they only have 3 RBs for sure.

If this means that we go hard after RB in 2022 class then so be it. Goodson, Williams x2 and IKM are a good 4 guys to have. and as has been said, Bruce can do a little running the ball also if needed. Take 2 rbs in the next class or sign a rb from the portal that is ok with sitting out a year.

Only if we offer, any recent updates re: offer potential? However with TGood, Gavin Williams, LeShon Williams, IKM if healthy, Bruce (can play RB in a pinch or a few scripted plays) along with any walkons perhaps we should stand pat and grab 2 next year? Or perhaps we use the xfer portal and maybe after spring ball somebody wants to transfer?

Only if we offer, any recent updates re: offer potential? However with TGood, Gavin Williams, LeShon Williams, IKM if healthy, Bruce (can play RB in a pinch or a few scripted plays) along with any walkons perhaps we should stand pat and grab 2 next year? Or perhaps we use the xfer portal and maybe after spring ball somebody wants to transfer?
not sure how it all pans out but here is an interesting tid bit: Iowa has signed at least one running back in each recruiting class dating back to 2002.

Iowa has 5 running backs on its current roster
* Junior Tyler Goodson
* Senior Ivory Kelly-Martin
* Leshon Williams (2020 recruiting class)
* Gavin Williams (2020 recruiting class)
* Keontae Luckett (redshirt sophomore from New London, Iowa; not currently on scholarship)

Just because he is a douche, does not mean he is “fake news.” Good Lord. His information is clearly accurate.
Accurate or not, I am not debating that. But running a piece with a habitual lier as the main piece makes me not take him seriously. And continually pushing politics and opinion pieces AGAINST the team he reports on and ignoring progress irritated me.

I disagree. They bother things. First you don’t put all your eggs in one basket and second that was a long time ago. They have had plenty of time to get someone but are not aggressive enough with recruiting. Iowa is way too cautious with offers. You don’t have to offer everyone and their mother but you also don’t need to be so slow to offer as Iowa is a lot of times. With IKMs health uncertain for next year, they only have 3 RBs for sure.
That's a very fair counter. However, prior to IKM's injury ... they probably thought that our RB room was pretty set heading into '21. Given that IKM's injury requires quite the rehab ... and the toll it takes on a runner's psychology ... that obviously ramped up our RB need.

Perhaps I'm believing rumor too much ... but it sounded like Ricky Parks was a lay-up for the Hawks. Thinking that you have a recruit in the bag obviously impacts how you approach things. Obviously, the coaches need to learn from how things can so easily change on a dime.

I agree that the Hawks have to do a better job of how they handle recruiting when there is some need for urgency. However, they know their RB room better than we do ... perhaps the Williams's are so good ... maybe that is why Byrd flew the coop (couldn't help myself on that one)? So while we may not have strength in numbers ... maybe we have enough talented depth to get us through '21 ... hence the seeming lack of urgency.

Certainly less of a problem if one of the returning running backs is first team All B$G.

Agree. But you need depth. He’s not a big guy. 15-18 carries I would think would be ideal for him. Possibly a few more in certain games

2 days ago I stated that we likely land Hilson

Some updates from various reports:

The Clowns are pushing a preferred walk-on opportunity.

Iowa told him he was in the mix with a half dozen other prospects for one of their few remaining scholarships.

An Iowa offer appears to be coming. Iowa asked for his academic records earlier this month (to make sure he is eligible).

Another sign that a scholarship is likely coming: Niemann told him he wants him to play LB but Derrick Foster wants him to play RB.

Hilson let Iowa know that he would accept a scholarship from the Hawkeyes but would not walk on.

Hilson is on record that he has appreciated Jay Niemann's honesty throughout the process. Apparently there are a group of guys for one or two scholarships. Jay apparently stated he would tell him if he ever fell out of the mix.

Iowa has continued to send him positive recruiting materials, including what I quoted above.

If things don't work out with Iowa, UNI's scholarship offer would be an option.

OFaDqb_o

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like it will be the kid from North who gets the last spot if his grades are in order.

2 days ago (Jan 25) I stated that we likely land Hilson

Some updates from various reports:

The Clowns are pushing a preferred walk-on opportunity.

Iowa told him he was in the mix with a half dozen other prospects for one of their few remaining scholarships.

An Iowa offer appears to be coming. Iowa asked for his academic records earlier this month (to make sure he is eligible).

Another sign that a scholarship is likely coming: Niemann told him he wants him to play LB but Derrick Foster wants him to play RB.

Hilson let Iowa know that he would accept a scholarship from the Hawkeyes but would not walk on.

Hilson is on record that he has appreciated Jay Niemann's honesty throughout the process. Apparently there are a group of guys for one or two scholarships. Jay apparently stated he would tell him if he ever fell out of the mix.

Iowa has continued to send him positive recruiting materials, including what I quoted above.

If things don't work out with Iowa, UNI's scholarship offer would be an option.

OFaDqb_o

This was expected to happen on Jan 25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT