ADVERTISEMENT

26-Mile 1987 Buick GNX

ThorneStockton

HB Legend
Oct 2, 2009
Perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity to snag a classic.

This 1987 Buick GNX is #450 of 547 produced for a single model year, and it now shows 26 miles. The car spent time in long-term storage during prior ownership and since the current owner’s 2013 acquisition. The car is powered by a turbocharged 3.8-liter V6 paired with a four-speed automatic transmission and is finished in black over two-tone black and Sand Gray upholstery. Details include a limited-slip differential, 16″ cross-lace wheels, composite wheel arch flares, fender vents, a rear spoiler, air conditioning, and cruise control. This GNX is now offered on dealer consignment with a clean California title.

The Grand National Experimental was created in partnership with McLaren Performance Technologies/ASC to celebrate the end of the vehicle’s production run, and all 547 examples were finished in black. Cosmetic details specific to the GNX include heat-extracting fender vents, composite wheel arch flares, a three-piece rear spoiler, and GNX badging. Additional exterior details include a rear window defogger, sport mirrors, and dual exhaust outlets.

Black-finished factory 16″ cross-lace wheels wear GNX-branded center caps along with chrome trim rings and are mounted with Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires. The GNX features front suspension components from the contemporary Grand National, and upgraded rear components include a Panhard rod, torque arm, and an additional frame crossmember. Braking is handled by power-assisted front discs and rear drums.

continued

1987_buick_gnx_436a1031-09385.jpg

436A0997-58146-scaled.jpg

436A0954-57971-scaled.jpg

436A0796-57499-scaled.jpg

436A1126-57292.jpg

436A1081-57175-scaled.jpg

That is a classy looking piece of shit!

But as someone whose dad owned at least a half-dozen 1980s/90s Buicks I can ASSURE you it is, indeed, a piece of shit.

Asking price is ludicrous.

The only real issue with those is the brake booster type thing they have - if that goes, they ain't making them any more. You pretty much have to retro-convert them to an ordinary Buick Regal type braking system (not as simple as it sounds). Otherwise, they're fairly bulletproof vehicles.

$181K current bid. I bet it'll go for a LOT more than that.

Friend of mine had a brand new Grand National as his car in HS. Basically the same car. It was soooooo fast. We’d drive around and race people and nothing stock could beat it.
I was going to make fun of this but holy shit, it could go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. That's blazing by any measure.

Amazing vehicle. Many don't realize that the GN and GNX were both capable of spanking the Corvette for a few years in the 80s. It's wild that GM allowed that! Their potential with only bolt-ons and tuning is immense. A friend of mine has a GN as well as a 1993 Supra Turbo. His GN is fairly stock. His Supra is not!

Never was a “car guy” but damn I’ve always wanted a GN. A friend in high schools in girlfriend (with rich parents) had one and it was badass.

I knew a dude in college whose dad who owned an '86 grand national and a '70 skylark gs, both of them were straight-piped. That dude was in the 99th percent of badasses that I've ever met

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT