ADVERTISEMENT

35 Hawks on NFL Rosters. 6 Free Agents (Updated March 27)

Josh Jackson's Packers (4-1) beat the Cowboys 34-24.

EGQMTbDXUAArE5i

Bryan Bulaga shook off a shoulder injury & helped the Packers (4-1) win at Dallas (3-2) 34-24.

On Friday, it was questionable whether he would play.

EGDu6cqXUAIKsqO

Last edited:
Bryan Bulaga shook off a shoulder injury & helped the Packers (4-1) win at Dallas (3-2) 34-24.

On Friday, it was questionable whether he would play.

Check this story out:

Warrior efforts from Bryan Bulaga, Kevin King help Packers win in Dallas

By: Zach Kruse | Oct 6, 2019
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...bulaga-kevin-king-help-packers-win-in-dallas/

The Green Bay Packers probably wouldn’t be celebrating a statement win in Dallas without the warrior efforts from right tackle Bryan Bulaga and cornerback Kevin King, two players who exited the team’s loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 4 and weren’t certain to play Sunday at AT&T Stadium.

Both played, and both positively impacted Sunday’s 34-24 victory.

Bulaga, who is battling a shoulder injury, delivered another terrific game against elite competition. Tallying the wins and losses on a snap-to-snap basis against Pro Bowler DeMarcus Lawrence, Bulaga was the sure winner Sunday.

The Cowboys pressured quarterback Aaron Rodgers at times but managed only two sacks. Lawrence, the Cowboys’ top pass rusher, finished the game with one tackle and no quarterback hits or sacks.

The Packers also rushed for 120 yards and four touchdowns. The offensive line opened up consistent cutback lanes for Aaron Jones, who gashed the Cowboys over and over again.

When on the field, Bulaga is among the NFL’s very best right tackles. Given the level of competition he’s faced so far in 2019, there’s a legitimate case to be made that he’s been the NFL’s best right tackle.

The injuries are piling up for the Packers,
who were without receiver Davante Adams, running back Jamaal Williams and cornerback Tony Brown on Sunday. King, safety Darnell Savage, center Corey Linsley, tight end Robert Tonyan and outside linebacker Rashan Gary all departed with game-ending injuries.

With a Monday night game coming up, the Packers will have another mini-break to get healthy. The roster needs it.

For now, the Packers can enjoy another huge win, powered in part by the warrior efforts from two of the roster’s most important players.

B4k7JBHZ

Last edited:
Ben Niemann & Anthony Hitchen's Chiefs (4-1) lost to the Colts 19-13.

Ben Niemann played every snap after coming in for an injured Anthony Hitchens.

Matt is a Chiefs beat writer.

Check this out:

Watch #56 Ben Niemann CONTINUOUSLY block down field after the pass interception.

It's those little things that coaches surely notice & likely will keep Ben employed in the NFL for quite some time.

WATCH:

Always great when our NFL Hawks make it back to Iowa City for a game!

For tomorrow's home game vs Penn State, it will be fun seeing Micah Hyde, Ike Boettger and Nick Easley from the Buffalo Bills and James Ferentz from the New England Patriots.

EGmhDXrX0AEGi-h

EGmhDXrXUAggwdW

EGmhDXwWkAA8eYx

EGmhDXtWkAApVl2

EGdIypyXoAAlFM8

Give Bryan Bulaga the Appreciation that He Deserves – and Resign him too
Posted on 10/14/2019
by Michael Johrendt

Commonly used as a whipping post for Green Bay Packer fans ever since he was drafted in 2010, starting right tackle Bryan Bulaga has been putting together one of his best career seasons for the Packers. While it also happens to be in a contract year (coincidentally or not), his impact on this team’s success this season and the nine prior seasons cannot be understated.

While injuries have followed the former Iowa Hawkeye throughout his entire career, he has become a much-needed stalwart on the right side of the line, combining with superstar left tackle David Bakhtiari to form one of the better bookend tandems across the league.

Given a 74.9 player grade by Pro Football Focus through the first six games of the season for Green Bay, he has yet to allow a sack, has had only two penalties called against him and has played 286 snaps, real impressive numbers especially after looking at what rushes he has had matched up across from him.

The likes of Everson Griffin, Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, Khalil Mack and Leonard Floyd, Brandon Graham and Demarcus Lawrence have all lined up on the defensive line opposite Bulaga at times, and with him having kept Rodgers’ jersey clean in 2019, he has more than proven that he deserves a new contract.

Bulaga and defensive tackle Kenny Clark represent the two biggest deals that need to be done at some point this season by general manager Brian Gutekunst and the front office, so starting now would be a great way to shore up the team for 2020 and beyond.

With the upcoming draft not completely looking like it is going to provide any generational offensive linemen prospects, Green Bay’s best bet would be to resign Bulaga to a long-term deal that would keep him in Titletown potentially for the remainder of his career.

Currently, Bulaga’s deal puts him as the 10th-highest-paid right tackle in the NFL at $6.75 million this season, a great deal for the team but a gross underpayment for his on-field performance. Players like Ja’Wuan James of the Denver Broncos and Lane Johnson of the Philadelphia Eagles either just signed (James) or are halfway through (Johnson) a recently-signed long term deal, which helps give the team some benchmarks for how Bulaga should be paid.

Never wanting to set the team back too far by breaking the bank, a four-year deal with a base max value of $42 million would be a fair ask by Bulaga, which the team should feel comfortable with agreeing to. Front loading a deal for the first two seasons to average $10+ million across the first two seasons with an out after the second year would be a huge win for the front office.

Long-term financial stability for Bulaga, who plays a position that is very rewarding but also takes a major toll on one’s body, is key for what he is looking for. Having played for Green Bay his entire career, keeping Bulaga on the right side of the offensive line for the next four-plus seasons would be a huge move to help keep this team together and keep its best pieces happy.

뿓뿓뿓

Mike Johrendt has been an avid fan of the Packers ever since he can remember. He is now a writer at PackersTalk and you can follow him on Twitter at @MJohrendt23

https://packerstalk.com/2019/10/14/...im-too/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

0 Sacks allowed so far this season.

He is in the final season of a five-year, $33.75 million contract.

World’s Best Preview: Bryan Bulaga’s Brilliance

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F064ehzi9QUute615Yx6KIg%2Fphoto%3Fversion%3D264

by Bill Huber
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/worlds-best-preview-bryan-bulagas-brilliance/

Plenty has been written about the importance of Bryan Bulaga, starting before the season and continuing with his latest masterpiece.

By allowing zero sacks against the opening gauntlet of Chicago’s Khalil Mack, Minnesota’s Danielle Hunter, Denver’s Von Miller, Philadelphia’s Brandon Graham and Dallas’ DeMarcus Lawrence – a quintet with a total of 107.5 sacks and seven Pro Bowls in 2017 and 2018 – Bulaga has emerged as one of the understated heroes of the Green Bay Packers’ 4-1 start.

That would make practice squad outside linebacker Randy Ramsey one of the unsung heroes. It’s Ramsey’s job to wear a yellow jersey emblazoned with the number of that week’s top pass rusher. Thus far this season, that top pass rusher has lined up across from Bulaga.

“A guy that’s done a hell of a job on scout team is Ramsey,” Bulaga said. “I’ll talk to him today, I’ll talk to him again tomorrow about a look or a certain thing that I may pick up from a defensive end and try to have him replicate it. He’s a very athletic dude so he’s able to pick up movements and watch tape on guys, as well, and try to mimic things. It’s not going to be 100 percent because he has his own style, but he’s done a great job of giving looks that are something similar that I’m going to see in a game. When you get to see it and feel it and go against it during the week – yeah, there’s going to be different circumstances in the game – but there’s some things that you’re somewhat prepared for.”

“And,” Bulaga said, “it’s making sure I’m as healthy as I can be.”

Nobody has ever questioned Bulaga’s talent. When healthy, he’s been one of the best right tackles in the NFL for most of his career. Health, of course, has been the major barrier to Bulaga being recognized as an elite player. There have been major injuries, such as the hip that limited him to nine games in 2012 and knee injuries that cost him all of 2013 and most of 2017. And there have been minor injuries that have kept him out of a game or two here and there or cost him valuable practice time.

While Bulaga missed the second half of the Week 4 game against Philadelphia with a shoulder injury, he was back in the lineup against Lawrence last week. The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end, who had 25 sacks the previous two seasons, had zero sacks, zero quarterback hits and one tackle last week. That was a critical component in Green Bay’s 34-24 victory.

“When you feel like you don’t have any limitations moving laterally or forward, you can redirect and react and do all the things that you need to do against these top-level guys,” Bulaga said. “They’re already way more athletic than us, we’ll just put in that way. They move better than us. They’re better athletes than us. If you’re hurt and you’re going out there and you’re going against those top-level guys, yeah, you’re going to be at a little bit of a disadvantage just stepping on the field. Being as healthy as possible definitely is a big factor.”

As the 30-year-old Bulaga’s career has progressed, he’s changed his workout regimen. No longer is it about piling 45-pound plates on the bar and lifting as much weight as possible as often as possible to build strength. Instead, he’s turned more to activation workouts to supplement the heavy lifts. What’s an activation workout? To bypass the technical jargon, Bulaga provided this example in regard to his hamstrings.

“For me, a lot of stability-ball work. A lot of hamstring work, one-legged curls, holds and things that make that muscle work without loading a lot of weight and without having to dead lift 400 pounds to turn on my hamstrings. You’re doing it with small movements and stability things that turn everything on so you’re not stressing your joints and body, but it’s harder work than what it looks. You get up and your hammies are sore and tight.

“At the end of the day, I’m not 22, 23 years anymore. I can’t be doing that stuff and pounding on my joints and body. You have to find different ways to get what I need and also maintaining and getting stronger and protecting joints, protecting my back, my knees, my ankles – everything that affects guys as they get older. I feel like my trainer and I, we’ve done a really good job of finding those small areas that you can improve and get better. We’ve attacked it and it’s gotten better and better.”

The results have been obvious. Neither coach Matt LaFleur nor offensive line coach Adam Stenavich could recall off the top of their heads an offensive lineman playing so well while facing such a series of premier defenders.

Bulaga, though, is too busy living in the moment. Other than interviews on Thursday and Friday, he hasn’t had time to think about his early-season accomplishment. According to Pro Football Focus, among all offensive tackles with at least 135 pass-protecting snaps, Bulaga is one of 13 to have not allowed a sack but the only one to not have allowed a quarterback hit, either.

“I normally reflect after the season,” Bulaga said. “To look at it right now would be very short-sighted of me. I get it, you guys have a job and you’re looking and you’re analyzing things and you’ve got stories to write. Yeah, it is what it is with the guys I’ve gone against. They’re all damned good football players and a lot of them are All-Pro guys. I understand that but, for me, every week’s a new challenge. Every week, especially this year, we’re going against someone who can ruin my day real quick. Every guy has the potential to beat you on every play if you’re not dialed in, tuned in, thinking about the right things, studying and doing all that. For me, it’s take this thing one week at a time and prepare and try to improve every day and work on something that you weren’t comfortable doing the day before.”

On Monday night against the Detroit Lions, Bulaga will not face a marquee player. His primary responsibility will be Devon Kennard, who has rushed against the right tackle 83.5 percent of the time, according to PFF. He’ll also get a sprinkling of the Lions’ big free-agent acquisition, Trey Flowers, though Flowers rushes 75.5 percent of the time against the left tackle. Kennard has three sacks and 15 total pressures, according to PFF; all three sacks and nine of the pressures came in Week 1 vs. Arizona. In his sixth season, Kennard has 19.5 sacks for his career, including a career-high seven last year.

“I have a lot of respect for Kennard,” Bulaga said. “I think he’s a good football player and I think Flowers is a really good football player. I’ll see both of those guys. You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they paid Flowers a lot of money this offseason because he’s a hell of a player. You watch him on tape and you watch Kennard on tape and these guys show up. They’re good players. You watch them against Kansas City, you watch them against Philly, and (Eagles right tackle) Lane Johnson and (Chiefs right tackle Mitchell) Schwartz are two really good right tackles that I have a lot of respect for. To me, it doesn’t matter if they don’t have the same recognition as a Khalil Mack or a Von Miller. Those two guys are good football players and they can make me look really bad if I’m not ready to go do my job and prepare the same way.”

The timing for Bulaga’s outstanding play is fortuitous for the team and himself. He is in the final season of a five-year, $33.75 million contract. The combination of injury history and salary have made him the subject of offseason speculation about being a money-saving roster cut – a silly conversation considering the Packers didn’t have anyone on the roster remotely capable of replacing him – but he’s put himself in position for one more big payday.

“Not really,” Bulaga said when asked if that’s crossed his mind. “It’s kind of the same way it was when I was about to be a free agent the last time. I let that stuff work itself out and I’ll play football. That’s the way I look at it. Yeah, that’s about it.”

EGjhoDeXkAIYcPg

V-4VoD6x

EGg5XUAWsAInPWH

Last edited:
#75 Brandon Scherff missed the last two games with an ankle injury.

On Thurs Oct 10, his ankle looked just fine.

Watch:

In this video, from yesterday's game, he pulls & comes up with a nice block .

Watch:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT