ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Half Lineup when Baer Returns

JerryDennard

HR MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
In a tight game 2nd half, who are the 5 you want out there?

(1) JBo, Moss, Baer, Cook, Nunge?

(2) JBo, Moss, Nunge, Cook Garza?

(3) JBo, Moss, Baer, Nunge, Garza?

(4) JBo, Moss, Baer, Cook Garza?

(5) JBo, Baer, Nunge, Cook, Garza?

(6) Moss, Baer, Nunge, Cook, Garza?

1. Must have Bohannon.

2. #4 with a qualification. At the end of a close one, Cook and Garza could be liabilities at the FT line. Nunge could make his way in there depending on how he develops and how things go vs. better competition.

I think Garza’s ft stats in high school were pretty decent. This may just be freshman jitters right now at the line. He seems to have good form.

I said this in the game thread, but the lineup we had in at the end for the last 6 minutes or so is the one that won the game. That’s number 2 on your list. I could see Baer replacing Nunge, but Baer isn’t that good of a ft shooter.

Situational, depends on if we are protecting a lead and other team is fouling . Then I may want Jbo, Moss, Ellingson, maybe Dailey and Garza or Nunge. Guys that can handle the ball and are good free throw shooters maybe just # guards and Nunge and Garza, but Tyler Cook seems pretty confident at the free throw line lately and he is a leader on the floor. Lots of Combinations so coaches choice and hope the players understand their roles and execute them. This is still a very young team and learning together. Last night Grambling seemed really well coached and had a great game plan . They executed their offense and got out running in transition, when the Hawks got back they ran their motion pretty flawlessly and The Hawks didn't play particularly well and without the urgency , but more importantly on offense we didn't execute, too much one on one at times. Jordan needs to realize how good they are when he is just distributing the basketball and getting his teammates spaced and moving in and out instead of side to side. He will get his openings to shoot when other teams start collapsing on our bigs. It was a good game to learn from last night. Have no fear we are good and talented.

Any of them with Bohannon I am fine with. Depends on free throw shooting need and how they are each performing on any given night.

Situational, depends on if we are protecting a lead and other team is fouling . Then I may want Jbo, Moss, Ellingson, maybe Dailey and Garza or Nunge. Guys that can handle the ball and are good free throw shooters maybe just # guards and Nunge and Garza, but Tyler Cook seems pretty confident at the free throw line lately and he is a leader on the floor. Lots of Combinations so coaches choice and hope the players understand their roles and execute them. This is still a very young team and learning together. Last night Grambling seemed really well coached and had a great game plan . They executed their offense and got out running in transition, when the Hawks got back they ran their motion pretty flawlessly and The Hawks didn't play particularly well and without the urgency , but more importantly on offense we didn't execute, too much one on one at times. Jordan needs to realize how good they are when he is just distributing the basketball and getting his teammates spaced and moving in and out instead of side to side. He will get his openings to shoot when other teams start collapsing on our bigs. It was a good game to learn from last night. Have no fear we are good and talented.

The "Situation" is: we are tied or trailing 56-59 with 11 minutes to go in the 2nd half (basically, Grambling State). Who are your 5? There are no right or wrong answers here.

The "Situation" is: we are tied or trailing 56-59 with 11 minutes to go in the 2nd half (basically, Grambling State). Who are your 5? There are no right or wrong answers here.
Baer thrives on coming off the bench. Leave him in that role.

I want to see some more from the freshman before I'd jump to a conclusion. IMO it will likely be dependant on match-ups and whose hot.

Another option that could be interesting if we've got a bit of a lead it would be J Bo, Conner, Moss, Baer, and Nunge. I like a group that can pass the ball, make a free throw, and isn't turnover prone. If they could get the ball off the glass I'd like to see it tried at some point when the game wasn't on the line.

Connor, JBo, Moss, Nunge and Garza
Garza was a 80%+ FT shooter and shot 48% from 3, giving Fran his version of Lutes Twin Towers of Waite and Special K.

It's dangerous to use stats at this point in the season. J Bo is shooting 25% and Garza is under 60% from the line. Everyone is wanting to use the high school free throw stats but I don't recall those kind of numbers from the PTL or the euro trip.

I still think we need more data and Fran is giving all the guys a chance.

stats are only a starting point and are a indication of what they can do.

looking at JBo stats are not a true indicator of his abilities but he is ahead of his pace on assists and appears to be cutting down on his TO's. his shooting will improve as teams learn they cannot just gear to stop just him.

In the event of a tight game on the line give me:

JBo, Moss, Baer/Nunge, Cook, Garza

Especially if they've been well rested while the other team is sucking wind. Too bad for the TV timeouts or our team would be rocking like the J. Geils Band on the white powder! But we'll still wear teams out and foul guys out.

I think 2 or 4 to start the game.

(2) JBo, Moss, Nunge, Cook Garza?

(4) JBo, Moss, Baer, Cook Garza?

However, in the first Cayman game, Wagner will get the start and Fran gets a heat check on how the freshmen play away from home.

At 11 minutes, I will go with #4. But if it's that tight with 2 minutes left, I might go with #3 for the greater free throw percentage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT