ADVERTISEMENT

3 Ancient Greek Philosophies Of Life

LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
1. Stoicism...believes a person should be unmoved
by grief or joy and be indifferent to pain or pleasure.
Aim in life is to keep you chin up with self-control.

2. Epicureanism...believes you should eat, drink &
be merry, for tomorrow you will die. Just live it up.
Aim in life is to have pleasure and possessions.

3. Fatalism....believes events in life are fixed &
humans are powerless to change them.
Aim is life to accept whatever will be will be

QUESTION FOR YOU:What philosophy best
describes your attitude toward life?.

I am opposed to 2 and 3 because they are antithetical to observable human nature. While 2 sounds enticing it leaves one's soul undernurished and unfulfilled. 3 OTOH is incompatible with the truths espoused by Yahweh that we are created in His image and have freedom of choice. If I had to choice I'd say I espouse several traits of the stoic as I believe in self control, but I also believe in taking enjoyment in the pleasures of life.

Wq7b1wO.gif

Of the options, I’d combine 1&2. But I have a greater affinity for the Peripatetic school of ideas taught by Aristotle.

Reactions: runkpanole
Kirk Ferentz, Donald Trump, and Andrew Cuomo in that order exemplify the three philosophies.

The guy who doesn’t drink, eats garbage food, and has zero sense of humor about himself exemplifies epicureanism? That would be such a sad interpretation of the philosophy.

Last edited:
The guy who doesn’t drink, eats garbage food, and has zero sense of humor about himself exemplifies epicureanism? That would be such a sad interpretation of philosophy.
4. Donnieism... believes you are entitled to all riches, powers, and pleasures of the world without actually enjoying or earning any of these things, as an affirmation of the ego. Aim in life is simply to fan the flames of unequivocal narcissism at all costs, and to create a cult of self-idolatry as a de-facto replacement for reality.

4. Donnieism... believes you are entitled to all riches, powers, and pleasures of the world without actually enjoying or earning any of these things, as an affirmation of the ego. Aim in life is simply to fan the flames of unequivocal narcissism at all costs, and to create a cult of self-idolatry as a de-facto replacement for reality.
Now that sounds like Trump.

1. Stoicism...believes a person should be unmoved
by grief or joy and be indifferent to pain or pleasure.
Aim in life is to keep you chin up with self-control.

2. Epicureanism...believes you should eat, drink &
be merry, for tomorrow you will die. Just live it up.
Aim in life is to have pleasure and possessions.

3. Fatalism....believes events in life are fixed &
humans are powerless to change them.
Aim is life to accept whatever will be will be

QUESTION FOR YOU:What philosophy best
describes your attitude toward life?.
4. Evil Monkeyism- I'll go where I'm needed, in whatever way that may be.......

Of the 3 philosophies, a Stoic makes the most sense.
He emphasizes rational self-control which makes
him avoid the harmful pitfalls of unbridled passion
and desire. Yes, a Stoic has self-discipline.

You guys always confuse "The Donald" with Trump.

And you guys always think there’s something there, when there isn’t.

The guy has no intellectual curiosity, taste, or sense of adventure. He’s just a boring guy who inherited a lot of money. There are a tons of them in the world.

I don’t care for Elon Musk, but the guy has really lived.

And you guys always think there’s something there, when there isn’t.

The guy has no intellectual curiosity, taste, or sense of adventure. He’s just a boring guy who inherited a lot of money. There are a ton of those guys out there in the world.

I don’t care for Elon Musk, but the guy has really lived.
He's somewhere in the middle. Closer to my end than yours though.

1. Don't take yourself or anyone else too seriously.
2. Believe in Yeshua.
3. Fidelity to the Church.
4. Be firm but flexible.
5. Revel in sarcasm and Lutespeak.

Reactions: LuteHawk
2 does not necessitate 3.

Yeshua is the head and absolutely His divinity and sovereignty are independent of anything that has to do with His Church.

However, for whatever reasons, Yeshua and scripture make a big deal of the Church and compare it to a marriage relationship. So, yes, because the Church is important to Yeshua, it is therefore important to me.

Yeshua is the head and absolutely His divinity and sovereignty are independent of anything that has to do with His Church.

However, for whatever reasons, Yeshua and scripture make a big deal of the Church and compare it to a marriage relationship. So, yes, because the Church is important to Yeshua, it is therefore important to me.
The ecclesia (assembly of believers) Yeshua and the apostles we describing does not equate to the Roman Catholic Church.

None of these 3 philosophies were designed by
Socrates, Plato, or Aristotle. Those were three
intellectual elites of Ancient Greece.

Socrates lived from 470 to 399 B.C. He taught Plato
Plato lived from 428 to 348 B.C. He taught Aristotle.
Aristotle lived from 384 to 322 B.C. He taught everyone

They were more interested in the cultural and political
activity of people.

Option 2, Epicureanism, would be the one I'm closest to.

I'm not completely #2, but I am not at all in line with stoicism or fatalism.

The ecclesia (assembly of believers) Yeshua and the apostles we describing does not equate to the Roman Catholic Church.

Yeshua only founded one Church.

Does that mean believers of other denominations are discluded from the body? No, I do not believe that.

I am opposed to 2 and 3 because they are antithetical to observable human nature. While 2 sounds enticing it leaves one's soul undernurished and unfulfilled. 3 OTOH is incompatible with the truths espoused by Yahweh that we are created in His image and have freedom of choice. If I had to choice I'd say I espouse several traits of the stoic as I believe in self control, but I also believe in taking enjoyment in the pleasures of life.
Nice. Exactly.

I could NEVER put it that way, but its great to read. Nice.....

The one holy Christian and apostolic Church
is the body of Christ which is composed of
Christians throughout the world.

When Christ returns on Judgment Day, he
will be looking for Christians, not denominations.

Reactions: William Bonney
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT