ADVERTISEMENT

3 Point shooting in Iowa's last 9 losses: 25%

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
We've been dying by the three this season.

If you throw out the Ohio State game (where we shot 46% and still lost), the numbers are 43-192 for 22%.

3 Point Shooting in Iowa's Last 9 Losses:

21%
(6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
21% (7-33) vs Eastern Illinois
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
28% (7-25) at Penn State
46% (11-24) at Ohio State
18% (3-17) at Michigan State
25% (54-216) Overall
=======================

Last edited:
Bad shooting is only part of the problem, the other part is our rebounding has been horseshit. Someone jacks up a 3 and no one crashes the boards, they all stand and watch, they have to realize if your shots on not going down you have to give that much more effort to offset the bad shooting, that means trying to get as many second opportunities as possible, make the extra hustle play, the toughness is just not there and that is a staple of Frans teams.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Not super surprising. Not a lot of good shooters.

There are so many good shooters around college basketball and we have maybe 1 that is mentally and now physically broken.

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
that's not very good
Not looking great. No one can shoot. No one can beat their man one on one. Connor is the only creative one and hes limited.

It's been rightfully argued that if Iowa is missing on the 3 ball, they need to adjust & shoot more inside the arc.

Well, nothing was dropping last night. Iowa missed 12 lay ups, too (they were 9-21).

How Iowa got to 50 points:

12-45 (27%) from 2 point range
7-28 (25%) from 3
19-73 (26%) Overall

5-8 (63%) FTs

Bad shooting is only part of the problem, the other part is our rebounding has been horseshit. Someone jacks up a 3 and no one crashes the boards, they all stand and watch, they have to realize if your shots on not going down you have to give that much more effort to offset the bad shooting, that means trying to get as many second opportunities as possible, make the extra hustle play, the toughness is just not there and that is a staple of Frans teams.

Fran's teams have historically been bad at rebounding. Overall, last night, Iowa got outrebounded 54-40.

I was surprised that we actually led in offensive rebounds (granted, we missed 54 shots).

But you can't allow Debbie to rebound 40% of their misses.

Offensive Rebounds

17 IOWA (we rebounded 31% of our misses)
14 Debbie (they rebounded 40% of our misses)

2nd Chance Points

10 IOWA
10 Debbie

So can those that blamed the EIU debacle on not having Connor and Kris accept the reality of the situation now? Connor is one of two bright spots on the team with Rebraca being the other. Connor went from someone I didn't want to shoot in the past to a guy that needs to hunt his shots given the abysmal play of well, everyone else. Connor shooting more won't dramatically change the trajectory of the season but it will mitigate the damage Sandfort, Pmac, Perkins and Ulis can cause with their abysmal shooting.

I am not sure which is more laughable at this point. The notion that Fran recruited multi-position shooters or that Iowa's press is disruptive. Iowa can't shoot worth a damn and after 1-2 attempts at the press opposing teams turn it into a slam dunk contest. For those that think Kris is going to flip a switch and go into Keegan mode, it's not happening. Kris is a nice complimentary who needs a Garza or Keegan to play of.

So can those that blamed the EIU debacle on not having Connor and Kris accept the reality of the situation now?

No,.. Having Connor and Kris would have been enough against EIU,.. and having Aaron and Kris would have been enough against the Badgers,... Nebraska is not a bad team this year.

Gang+Couldn%27t+Shoot.jpg

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
We do not have a dominant inside presence this year,.. we will live and die by the 3 ball..

I was expecting 3 PT shooting to be a strength of this team. Boy was I wrong

Not sure how you were thinking this. I was thinking the opposite and was right, not bragging. This is just a piss poor shooting team and our best pure shooter is in a season long slump

Game 2 of conference play,.. nothing is season long at this point.

I admit I don't know shit about basketball strategy, but are other teams coached to just continue chucking up 3s even on your worst nights? Does this team have no inside game at all? Reading through a play by play, it's always "____ missed a 3 pt jumper", followed by a defensive rebound.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I was expecting 3 PT shooting to be a strength of this team. Boy was I wrong

And since shots were not dropping, being aggressive and taking it to the rim, getting fouled, and scoring from the foul line would be a good strategy. 21 of Iowa's 73 field goal attempts were considered layup attempts; they only made 9 of 21 of those lay ups.

And, unfortunately, Iowa only attempted 8 FTs for the game, making just 5 (63%)

And since shots were not dropping, being aggressive and taking it to the rim, getting fouled, and scoring from the foul line would be a good strategy. 21 of Iowa's 73 field goal attempts were considered layup attempts; they only made 9 of 21 of those lay ups.

And, unfortunately, Iowa only attempted 8 FTs for the game, making just 5 (63%)

Long story short, this team sucks all around at shooting 😟

• Sad
This is not the same team that started the season, or even the one that lost to Wisconsin. There have been injuries. Murray has been out for a while, so maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to perform at the same level immediately. But injuries can't be the whole story. Where is the toughness outside of CMac and maybe Rebraca? What has happened to Tony Perkins? The primary ball-handlers need to show some leadership.

Common thread there perhaps?...
Iowa has a mix of below the rim guys, bigger guys without post moves, no true center, and son of the coach
that is 6'9 and has better chance of hitting a 3pt shot/or dribble drive fader then making a rebound putback or posting someone up and making a post move.

I'm surprised how bad the Hawks look.....Kris went off a couple times for 30 points and that masked a lot of things vs Seton Hall and Georgia Tech. PMAC is capable of having an offensive explosion when his 3pt shots are falling. Iowa curb stomped ISU.....if the 3pt shots are dropping, Iowa can beat people....most of the time they aren't falling. Sandfort is a mental case now, hopefully he is healthy...but he belongs on bench until he makes shots.

Fran is a little bit above average coach that doesn't stress defense and that limits upside. In the NIL/Portal era we may find Fran is trending down. Time will tell, he's got a few years...this is Iowa.

Minus Rebraca.

Ulis looked like a wrestler trying to shoot. Wide open 3 off the top of the glass? All of his shots were bricks. There isn't one guy who shoots and I expect it to go in unless it's one of the deep bench guys.

Ulis looked like a wrestler trying to shoot. Wide open 3 off the top of the glass? All of his shots were bricks. There isn't one guy who shoots and I expect it to go in unless it's one of the deep bench guys.
Ulis has never had a shot. Never expect him to make it unless it's a free throw.

I admit I don't know shit about basketball strategy, but are other teams coached to just continue chucking up 3s even on your worst nights? Does this team have no inside game at all? Reading through a play by play, it's always "____ missed a 3 pt jumper", followed by a defensive rebound.
I mean that was Nebraska's entire game plan. They aggressively doubled every post entry and took away the baseline drives to force middle. This is what lead to a lot of open 3 attempts that just weren't falling. As Franisdaman posted, the ShotQuality analytics liked our attempts and we scored 22 points below expectations which just shows how horrendous of a shooting night it was. Fran tried to get Rebraca free off of back screens a couple of times, but if a team is that aggressive with taking away post entries there's only so much you can do if Filip is unable to split the double with post moves. At the end of the day, a double leads to an open 3 and players have to step up. It's honestly a big reason why Iowa's offense was so good under Garza--Weiskamp, JBo, and Frederick all being great 3 point shooters meant that teams had to kind of pick and choose their battles (not to mention that Garza had skills and post moves that Filip doesn't have to split doubles and score).

I'd expect Iowa to see this style of defense again until outside shooters force teams to play them straight up. The nice thing about Penn St. being next is they are a smaller team than Iowa, often playing Lundy (6'6) as the tallest player on the court so post offense should be there and I'd expect Fran will emphasize trying to get Rebraca free from doubles so he can exploit the size mismatch. The concern of course with Penn St. will be if Iowa can defend their 3 point shooting. If you think Iowa shoots a lot of 3s, just wait. Penn St averages almost 30 3 point attempts a game while shooting 38+%.

21% (6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
22% (33-150) Overall
=======================
Yup. And only 37.3% total in those games vs 46.1% for last season.

The Hawks shot 36.3% from 3 for the year last year, including 39.8% after February 1st.

If the Hawks shoot 46.1%, including 36.3% from 3 they probably win all those games.

The Hawks can't win a rock fight. They have to shoot well to win.

I don't know much either, but when you have a team that is built for shooting and you have your best shooters getting wide open 3's, how can you turn them down? Especially when you're behind?

I saw Iowa chucking up 3s and long range contested two point shots. Nebraska’s defense was more in your face compared to Iowa’s defense. Iowa rarely got the ball inside the paint. Complete opposite for Nebraska, they had a big dummy dribble his way into the paint for layup after layup. Nebraska’s three’s were dropping and Iowa looked defeated. I said WTF, changed the channel shortly into the second half and proceeded to wang chung.

3 Point shooting in Iowa's last 7 losses: 23%

21% (6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
28% (7-25) at Penn State
23% (40-175) Overall
=======================

If you throw out the Ohio State game (where we shot 46% and still lost), the numbers are 43-192 for 22%.

21%
(6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
28% (7-25) at Penn State
25% (54-216) Overall
=======================

21%
(6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
28% (7-25) at Penn State
25% (54-216) Overall
=======================
This is what happens when you try to assemble a team of shooters, instead of teaching tough defense. When you play defense, you can often compensate if you are having an off shooting night. When you don't (like Fran's teams), if they are not making a high percentage of their shots you can pretty much pencil in a loss.

Reactions: DewHawk
This is what happens when you try to assemble a team of shooters, instead of teaching tough defense. When you play defense, you can often compensate if you are having an off shooting night. When you don't (like Fran's teams), if they are not making a high percentage of their shots you can pretty much pencil in a loss.

Defense definitely travels. Iowa, however, never packs it into their suitcase

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI

21%
(6-29) vs Richmond
18% (3-17) vs TCU
19% (3-16) vs Duke
26% (7-27) vs Wisconsin
25% (7-28) at Nebraska
28% (7-25) at Penn State
25% (54-216) Overall