ADVERTISEMENT

3-year-old mauled to death by pit bull family owned just 5 days

The fastest way to get rid of a nieghbor's pit bull is to file a claim after a bite. Most insurers will demand the dog is removed from the home after such a claim.

What I found odd is that after we had moved into the neighborhood we noticed that while everybody got along, there appeared to be a dividing line between two distinct groups. The pit bull couple were in one group, and the previous owners of our house were in another. We later discovered that the pit bull had mauled the previous owner's dog, and there had been a pretty nasty lawsuit that went to trial. It was brought out that this was the second dog that she had mauled.

So when I was bitten and went to a clinic for treatment, the folks at the clinic said I needed to tell them the dog's owners' information and they had to report it to Animal Control. The AC folks came out a few days later and interviewed the neighbors, but the dog is still here. We thought certainly the dog would be put down.

And Brian is just like the other dumb ass pit bull defenders. There’s very few dogs in the world that can inflict the kind of damage a pitbull can. Besides “looking cool and athletic “ as you described, how in the world is it worth the risk? How would you feel if you owned one and it jumped a fence and killed a kid or another dog?

I had to tackle one that was loose near a park where kids were playing, those things are solid as a rock. No kid stands a chance against one

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
False.

The breed has been adopted by stupid people, but a good Pit Bull is as good as any other breed, if not better; smart, loyal, athletic and cool looking.
I believe that animals have genetic programming. Pit Bulls have it in their DNA to attack without mercy from generations of breeding as fight dogs.

How many stories have we seen where the owners say that their animal wouldn't hurt a fly? But then an unforeseen element is added, and the animal's DNA takes over.

How about that recent story of the woman killed by her own pet pit bulls while jogging? I believe they were previously in a kennel for a week while she was on vacation. When she got them back, they turned on her. Nobody believed it, but that's what happened to her.

Yes, they are loaded guns.

Reactions: BelemNole
The vast majority of Pit Bulls don't maul people to death.

Most of the Pit Bull haters don't understand the breed at all and have demonized them to be killers because of their own ignorance.

Nope. Most don't. However, 99% of 'person mauled by dog' stories happen to involve a Pit Bull. Why is that?

How many child mauled by poodle or terrier or scotty stories have you seen?

Reactions: Tom Paris
And Brian is just like the other dumb ass pit bull defenders. There’s very few dogs in the world that can inflict the kind of damage a pitbull can. Besides “looking cool and athletic “ as you described, how in the world is it worth the risk? How would you feel if you owned one and it jumped a fence and killed a kid or another dog?

Thanks for the insult. Even though pit bulls have been adopted as the official breed of the ghetto, they still are no more likely to bite than other breeds. True, they can do more damage though. Just yesterday, I saw a German Shepherd mix bite another dog brutally and I would not recommend that breed mix be banned permanently.

Most of the people in this thread are basing their experience on the news or the neighbors dog they know. It's better to look at the facts.

I would obviously feel terrible if I owned a dog that bit someone else. I would also feel terrible if I accidentally hit someone with my car. It doesn't make my car inherently evil though. Moreover, I wouldn't own a dog because I have too many responsibilities as it is :)

I believe that animals have genetic programming. Pit Bulls have it in their DNA to attack without mercy from generations of breeding as fight dogs.

How many stories have we seen where the owners say that their animal wouldn't hurt a fly? But then an unforeseen element is added, and the animal's DNA takes over.

How about that recent story of the woman killed by her own pet pit bulls while jogging? I believe they were previously in a kennel for a week while she was on vacation. When she got them back, they turned on her. Nobody believed it, but that's what happened to her.

Yes, they are loaded guns.

The woman that got mauled by her own pit bulls we're neglected. It came out that they were left outside and not fed or cared for properly. She was probably a terrible owner. Obviously it's a tragedy but it's wise to always look at the dog owner for why a dog behaves the way it does.

"Pit Bulls are banned in 12 countries around the world: New Zealand, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, France, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Norway, and the U. S. territory of Puerto Rico. The lack of U. S. government's concern regarding the danger of pit bull breeds is disheartening and disturbing."

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=29388

Reactions: Tom Paris
See... most of the people that think pitbulls are evil haven't been around ones with good owners.

You are flat out wrong.

You are correct that there are some very nice Pitbulls. But saying the only ones that attack people are ones with bad owners is just not correct. A lot of these attacks are from good people that had a previously good dog if everyone is surprised. That is what is wrong with the breed… Suddenly, for no known reason, they just go crazy and attack people.

I think the law needs to tell people to put their money where their mouth is. They are allowed to own a pitbull, but if that pitbull ever attacks someone, they are legally responsible, with the dog treated as a deadly weapon. If your dog kills someone: that is treated as murder.

Reactions: BelemNole
Any dog can bite you, this is true. But if a pit bull bites you it likely won't stop until you or it is dead. If you are a child or old/infirm it will likely be you. This is because they were designed to fight to the death. That's what the breed was for. Like how my border collie couldn't help but herd my kids, or ducks, or anything. It was ingrained in it's brain. Pit bulls were bred to grab hold and shake until the thing it had was dead. They do it very well.

I had to tackle one that was loose near a park where kids were playing, those things are solid as a rock. No kid stands a chance against one

A few years ago I was checking waterers on hot afternoon up in Benton County south of D-65 when I came across a group of 5 stray dogs in a pasture along Wolf Creek chasing after some stock cows and their calves. One of the dogs was a lab type mix that was only half heartedly chasing after them. Three of them were the small little yappy types of all description that couldn't do any real damage, but the cattle were afraid of them anyway.. The ringleader of the gang was a pit bull. When I stopped to close the gate behind me after entering the field I saw two dead calves against the well house permanent snow break. I drove as fast as I could across the pasture toward the terrified cattle. They were suffering from the heat terribly The lab mix stopped and stared at me good naturedly enough when I honked the horn at couple of times. Two of the three little yappers ran away and stood together near the lab. The third yapper stayed with the pit bull. I had one clear shot with my. 20 gauge. The yapper went down for good, but the pit bull never even yelped and continued after the cattle. I manuvered my truck as best I could on short notice and managed to butt the pit bull with the bumper doing about 20mph - he rolled over and was on his feet again instantly, but at least he lost interest in the cattle and starred back at the truck. I bumped him again and he moved back with a slobbering bark. I took off chasing him away from the cattle who were standing under some trees heaving heavily in the 90 degree heat. I chased him with the truck maybe 300 feet before I was able to run him down - I heard his head hit the front axle so I turned sharply to the right and rolled over him with the rear tire - I backed up over him both forward and back to make sure he was dead. I drove back to the cattle to see about the other dogs but by then a deputy sherriff had stopped on the gravel and seen what was happening and had already shot the lab and other two little yappers as they stood there looking at him. We never did find out where any of those strays had come from or who they belonged to, but they would not bother my cattle again.

The woman that got mauled by her own pit bulls we're neglected. It came out that they were left outside and not fed or cared for properly. She was probably a terrible owner. Obviously it's a tragedy but it's wise to always look at the dog owner for why a dog behaves the way it does.
I'll take your word on the facts of this. But, would any other breed have done that same thing to its owner in this situation?

You are flat out wrong.

You are correct that there are some very nice Pitbulls. But saying the only ones that attack people are ones with bad owners is just not correct. A lot of these attacks are from good people that had a previously good dog if everyone is surprised. That is what is wrong with the breed… Suddenly, for no known reason, they just go crazy and attack people.

I think the law needs to tell people to put their money where their mouth is. They are allowed to own a pitbull, but if that pitbull ever attacks someone, they are legally responsible, with the dog treated as a deadly weapon. If your dog kills someone: that is treated as murder.

Nope. You're ignorant and uninformed.

It's obvious you can't read well but I never stated that "all" pitbull attacks were because of bad owners. If you read the facts, you will see that pitbulls don't bite more than other breeds. Try to educate yourself before making stupid comments.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/pit-bulls-are-chiller-than-chihuahuas/500558/

That being said, I think anyone should be held legally responsible for the damage their dog does, regardless of breed.

A good Pitbull is an awesome dog. I'd probably take a good Pitbull over almost every other breed.

The main problem with Pitbulls is many of the people that own them have no business doing so. The lower elements of society have adopted them as their official breed and that's tragic. IMO.

The real crazy breeds are Dalmatian's, Chow-Chow's, and Cocker Spaniels, IMO. Not Pit Bulls.
Chow chows are a-holes.

I'll take your word on the facts of this. But, would any other breed have done that same thing to its owner in this situation?

Yes.

Why would you think that pit bulls are the only breed that bites their owner? Rottweilers and German Shepherds are two breeds that can do serious damage too.

You mean like the earlier poster's charts showing that pit bulls are responsible for around 70% of dog mauling deaths? Those types of facts?

Yes. It makes sense when you realize that pit bulls are powerful and and many times have bad owners. It's also a fact that pit bulls are not more likely to bite than other breeds.

Owning any dog is a huge responsibility. Many people don't have any clue how to be a good dog owner. I think Pitbulls suffer more because they tend to have owners that want to have a tough dog. It's a bad situation.

A few years ago I was checking waterers on hot afternoon up in Benton County south of D-65 when I came across a group of 5 stray dogs in a pasture along Wolf Creek chasing after some stock cows and their calves. One of the dogs was a lab type mix that was only half heartedly chasing after them. Three of them were the small little yappy types of all description that couldn't do any real damage, but the cattle were afraid of them anyway.. The ringleader of the gang was a pit bull. When I stopped to close the gate behind me after entering the field I saw two dead calves against the well house permanent snow break. I drove as fast as I could across the pasture toward the terrified cattle. They were suffering from the heat terribly The lab mix stopped and stared at me good naturedly enough when I honked the horn at couple of times. Two of the three little yappers ran away and stood together near the lab. The third yapper stayed with the pit bull. I had one clear shot with my. 20 gauge. The yapper went down for good, but the pit bull never even yelped and continued after the cattle. I manuvered my truck as best I could on short notice and managed to butt the pit bull with the bumper doing about 20mph - he rolled over and was on his feet again instantly, but at least he lost interest in the cattle and starred back at the truck. I bumped him again and he moved back with a slobbering bark. I took off chasing him away from the cattle who were standing under some trees heaving heavily in the 90 degree heat. I chased him with the truck maybe 300 feet before I was able to run him down - I heard his head hit the front axle so I turned sharply to the right and rolled over him with the rear tire - I backed up over him both forward and back to make sure he was dead. I drove back to the cattle to see about the other dogs but by then a deputy sherriff had stopped on the gravel and seen what was happening and had already shot the lab and other two little yappers as they stood there looking at him. We never did find out where any of those strays had come from or who they belonged to, but they would not bother my cattle again.

LMAO.....I don't necessarily agree with you political views..but that is awesome. I wish I was riding shot gun with you.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
He’s a pitbull apologist. There’s nothing you can do.

They can't beat me with logic. I realize this is America and it's easier for people to see things in black and white. People that have met one bad Pitbull and thereby declare the whole breed is dangerous are incorrect.

That's a simple fact.

Total nonsense.

How many Pitbulls have you been around that had good owners?

I've been around 4 and they were all amazing animals.

Agree, our friends have 2 and they are the most gentle and laid back dogs. Hell 1 of them is afraid of my parents shit-zu and won’t go near it.

I am always by them when they are around our kids, but they let the kids pet them and play fetch w/them. They are good dogs.

Dogs are like people, some are good and some are bad.

Agree, our friends have 2 and they are the most gentle and laid back dogs. Hell 1 of them is afraid of my parents shit-zu and won’t go near it.

I am always by them when they are around our kids, but they let the kids pet them and play fetch w/them. They are good dogs.

Dogs are like people, some are good and some are bad.

Stop being so logical you stupid SOB. :)

Reactions: DavenportHawk8
Yes. It makes sense when you realize that pit bulls are powerful and and many times have bad owners. It's also a fact that pit bulls are not more likely to bite than other breeds.

Listen, a Nerf gun fires a projectile, a handgun fires a projectile, but I gave my son a Nerf gun for Christmas because its likely to do less damage.

There are too many good dog breeds to make taking the risk of the pit bull resorting to its natural base instincts anything more than a dumb decision. And even if one of those better dog breeds does bite, its highly unlikely to result in a fatality.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine had a pit bull and she was a very sweet dog. Never saw her get aggressive with other dogs or people. She was a pretty dog and always seemed to have a grin on her face. But there was never a doubt in my mind that she could have messed up my day if she wanted. The sheer power and musculature of pitbulls is something to be feared and respected. No way I would ever allow a small child near one

Reactions: BrianNole09
Listen, a Nerf gun fires a projectile, a handgun fires a projectile, but I gave my son a Nerf gun for Christmas because its likely to do less damage.

There are too many good dog breeds to make taking the risk of the pit bull resorting to its natural base instincts anything more than a dumb decision.

That's your opinion. Fine.

I would say its about as close to a fact as an opinion can be.

Not really. If you had a pitbull and raised it properly you would probably have nothing to worry about. Do you feel the same way about Rottweilers and German Shepherds? Most dogs have bad instincts. My parents 60 pound goldendoodle would kill a cat if I didn't stop her.

Even though pit bulls have been adopted as the official breed of the ghetto, they still are no more likely to bite than other breeds. True, they can do more damage though.

My graph of reported dog bites in Toronto begs to differ. Per dog, pit bulls are much more likely to be reported for a bite.

2000-2010-toronto-dog-bite-statistics.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT