ADVERTISEMENT

3-year-old mauled to death by pit bull family owned just 5 days

Thanks for the insult. Even though pit bulls have been adopted as the official breed of the ghetto, they still are no more likely to bite than other breeds. True, they can do more damage though. Just yesterday, I saw a German Shepherd mix bite another dog brutally and I would not recommend that breed mix be banned permanently.

Most of the people in this thread are basing their experience on the news or the neighbors dog they know. It's better to look at the facts.

I would obviously feel terrible if I owned a dog that bit someone else. I would also feel terrible if I accidentally hit someone with my car. It doesn't make my car inherently evil though. Moreover, I wouldn't own a dog because I have too many responsibilities as it is :)

Get me your address. I want to get you a dog.

Reactions: BelemNole
Not really. If you had a pitbull and raised it properly you would probably have nothing to worry about. Do you feel the same way about Rottweilers and German Shepherds? Most dogs have bad instincts. My parents 60 pound goldendoodle would kill a cat if I didn't stop her.

I don't limit my distaste for large, aggressive breeds to pit bulls. But please stop comparing a goldendoodle to a pit bull. As has been explained an almost uncountable number of times in this thread, its pit bulls aggressiveness PLUS their huge potential to inflict significant injury that makes them especially distasteful.

My point is that most Pitbulls raised by good owners will end up being great dogs.

The people in this thread that declare all or most Pitbulls are bad are just wrong.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
2r4tm5l.jpg

Pitbull/Rottweiller mix. Lived to be 12 years old. She was never aggressive towards anyone, let alone bit anybody... she rarely even barked! She was an absolute horse but the biggest sweetheart ever. Absolutely beautiful dog. She pretty much ruined dogs for me for the rest of my life because she was without a doubt the best dog in the history of the planet

Pitbull/Rottweiller mix. Lived to be 12 years old. She was never aggressive towards anyone, let alone bit anybody... she rarely even barked! She was an absolute horse but the biggest sweetheart ever. Absolutely beautiful dog. She pretty much ruined dogs for me for the rest of my life because she was without a doubt the best dog in the history of the planet

Looks like she was an awesome dog. Looks sweet as hell.

My point is that most Pitbulls raised by good owners will end up being great dogs.

The people in this thread that declare all or most Pitbulls are bad are just wrong.
No, that's not what people are saying. People are saying that they are dangerous. Just because nothing happens doesn't mean they aren't dangerous. Most gun owners keep a gun in their house without it killing anyone. Doesn't mean that guns aren't dangerous or that they weren't designed to kill people. Just like pit bulls.
You can get a dog that wasn't designed to kill efficiently, so why not do that instead?

I won't let my kids play at people's houses if they have a pitbull. No chance. Just like I wouldn't let them play there if there was a pet tiger or crocodile in the mix...i don't care how charming it might be. Sure, there are a lot of bad people with pitbulls that either train them to be vicious or abuse them...but many, many attacks come from dogs that showed no signs of aggression until it happens...and then the owner is on the local news stammering like an effing idiot about how it was the sweetest dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and they just don't know how it could have happened...meanwhile, a little kid is maimed forever or dead because they wanted a dog that looked cool and they couldn't possibly choose from the hundreds of other breeds that don't have a blood-soaked history and the genetic ability to kill other things with their face. Sure, other dogs bite...but as others have pointed out, NOT like a pitbull bites. To ignore that MASSIVE difference is asinine and ridiculously irresponsible in my opinion.

A friend of mine has a pit bull that she rescued. The dog is incredibly gentle and is afraid of his own shadow. He'd have to be pushed incredibly hard to even defend himself.

It depends on the animal and circumstances, though some breeds are more predisposed to certain behaviors.

Reactions: BrianNole09
I won't let my kids play at people's houses if they have a pitbull. No chance. Just like I wouldn't let them play there if there was a pet tiger or crocodile in the mix...i don't care how charming it might be. Sure, there are a lot of bad people with pitbulls that either train them to be vicious or abuse them...but many, many attacks come from dogs that showed no signs of aggression until it happens...and then the owner is on the local news stammering like an effing idiot about how it was the sweetest dog that wouldn't hurt a fly and they just don't know how it could have happened...meanwhile, a little kid is maimed forever or dead because they wanted a dog that looked cool and they couldn't possibly choose from the hundreds of other breeds that don't have a blood-soaked history and the genetic ability to kill other things with their face. Sure, other dogs bite...but as others have pointed out, NOT like a pitbull bites. To ignore that MASSIVE difference is asinine and ridiculously irresponsible in my opinion.

Do you have the same rules with other breeds like rottweilers or German Shepherds?

They can be a lot more dangerous than a 30 pound pitbull.

Last edited:
Do you have the same rules with other breeds like rottweilers or German Shepherds?

They can be a lot more dangerous than a 30 pound pitbull.
Yes, absolutely. A family from my parents church several years ago had a tragedy with Rotweillers that they trained as guard dogs. Their 2 year old somehow wandered into their enclosure in the garage, and the dogs literally tore him apart. German Shephards aren't as bad, but still very much case by case.

You are comparing dogs to tigers and crocodiles? That is asinine.

There are 3-5 MILLION Pitbulls in the United States. You will rarely hear about anything other than the tragedies.

Yet you and the other ignorant posters in this thread will call for the killing of every other dog that is the same breed when you see a tragedy on the news, marketed for people just like you.

I occasionally dogsit my buddies Pitbull when he travels. Great dog.

I knew a brindle Pitbull named "Chubbs." Awesome dog.

He was short and squat with a face like a frying pan. He's 80 pounds of muscle. Very friendly but not great around other dogs. His owner spoiled him like crazy and didn't train him all that well.

I walked him around my neighborhood once and people stared at him like he was death.

Is this her?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/female-helicopter-pilot-hegar-shoot-like-girl/

You're basing your knowledge on your neighbor's one dog. How is that logical or rational?

I've known 4 Pitbulls that were friendly and safe. I wouldn't condemn or praise an entire breed based on that small sample size, as you, the supposed high Priest of rationality, do. :)

I have a mini schnauzer. She could be one of those dogs that are the exception. (she isn't) It would make no difference. She couldn't hurt anyone if she went ballistic. A pit bull, on the other hand, could cause great damage and kill. You know, dead forever. If the dog killed a child, it would be 100% as far as that person and family are concerned.

I have a mini schnauzer. She could be one of those dogs that are the exception. (she isn't) It would make no difference. She couldn't hurt anyone if she went ballistic. A pit bull, on the other hand, could cause great damage and kill. You know, dead forever. If the dog killed a child, it would be 100% as far as that person and family are concerned.

Same with a dozen other breeds. We should blame the individual dog instead of the breed, when there are millions of friendly dogs of that breed type, IMO.

We need @Wendy79 to settle this debate.

Any thoughts, Wendy?

Are Pitbulls demon dogs that should be eliminated?

I wouldn't trust any dog with my young child after 5 days of ownership.

I've had more problems with GSDs than pitties.

My cousin's pittie is so vicious she will damn near lick your face off.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Same with a dozen other breeds. We should blame the individual dog instead of the breed, when there are millions of friendly dogs of that breed type, IMO.

That is correct however, my mini Schnauzer isn't one of them. That's the point.

I walk in the neighborhood for exercise. I'm constantly concerned about dogs attacking me and my dog. (on a lease) A contractor working on a project had a pit on a chain with the chain under a tire. He lunged. There is not a doubt in my mind I would have been toast if that chain had broke. I shouldn't have to worry about that. Why should I have to worry about someone concerned about the size of his dick?

The most gentile, lazy, non-aggressive dog I've EVER seen was a pit bull. It's like the dog was on tranquilizers, it was so kind and gentle. I never once saw the dog even bark let alone get upset in any fashion. It was merely a big, adorable fuzzball of a dog.

The most vicious dog I've ever seen was small enough to fit inside Paris Hilton's purse. My gawd, that was a mean dog.

These being said, there are way, way, way, way, way, way, way too many owners that haven't the brains to understand how to properly handle a pit bull - which is why I really believe they should be outlawed in America.

Hell, half the people in the country aren't smart enough to own a cat let alone a pit bull. Owning a pet - ANY pet - is not for everyone.

Reactions: Wendy79
That is correct however, my mini Schnauzer isn't one of them. That's the point.

I walk in the neighborhood for exercise. I'm constantly concerned about dogs attacking me and my dog. (on a lease) A contractor working on a project had a pit on a chain with the chain under a tire. He lunged. There is not a doubt in my mind I would have been toast if that chain had broke. I shouldn't have to worry about that. Why should I have to worry about someone concerned about the size of his dick?

I can remember walking my Collie in the neighborhood growing up, and being afraid of dogs that were wandering, most of them were small turds like Cocker Spaniels. I couldn't agree with you more; you should not have to worry about roaming dogs.

Does your neighborhood have leash laws? You should report them to Animal Control or the police.

Again, to me, this comes down to the owner and the individual dog. No responsible dog owner should have their dog off a leash in a public place that isn't designated. Keeping a dog on a chain isn't good, either.

Yesterday, I witnessed a German Shepherd mix attack another dog and bite it's back ferociously at a dog park. Afterwards, the dog's 60 year old owner was joking about it. I was enraged and wanted to crush his skull. I'll never go back to that dog park because I might end up kicking him in the head and serving 50 years in prison.

Most dog problems are due to bad owners, IMO.

You are comparing dogs to tigers and crocodiles? That is asinine.

There are 3-5 MILLION Pitbulls in the United States. You will rarely hear about anything other than the tragedies.

Yet you and the other ignorant posters in this thread will call for the killing of every other dog that is the same breed when you see a tragedy on the news, marketed for people just like you.
No...i am comparing pit bulls to them. Because all three have the capacity to kill you if they decide to. Cocker Spaniels are $#!++y little dogs...but I am not worried one will break it's leash and attach itself to one of my daughter's necks with jaws orders of magnitude stronger than any other dog breed besides it's cousins like Rottweilers and mastiffs and virtually no way to break them away once they have latched on, even if you are beating it to the edge of death. I get it, they are good looking dogs, and many are very friendly and loyal companions...but, there is no shortage of other dog breeds equally friendly and loyal. I am not actually calling for them to be destroyed, but I think that there is no need to continue to breed them and that it would be great it they could be slowly bred out of the populations of domesticated dogs. The risk/reward just makes no sense. There is a reason people often have trouble even getting homeowners insurance if they have a pitbull...the numbers don't lie. They are hands down a more dangerous breed than the vast,vast majority of options out there...it just seems so unnecessary to me.

No...i am comparing pit bulls to them. Because all three have the capacity to kill you if they decide to. Cocker Spaniels are $#!++y little dogs...but I am not worried one will break it's leash and attach itself to one of my daughter's necks with jaws orders of magnitude stronger than any other dog breed besides it's cousins like Rottweilers and mastiffs and virtually no way to break them away once they have latched on, even if you are beating it to the edge of death. I get it, they are good looking dogs, and many are very friendly and loyal companions...but, there is no shortage of other dog breeds equally friendly and loyal. I am not actually calling for them to be destroyed, but I think that there is no need to continue to breed them and that it would be great it they could be slowly bred out of the populations of domesticated dogs. The risk/reward just makes no sense. There is a reason people often have trouble even getting homeowners insurance if they have a pitbull...the numbers don't lie. They are hands down a more dangerous breed than the vast,vast majority of options out there...it just seems so unnecessary to me.

You made a very poor comparison. Most Pit Bulls won't kill you if you got close but a crocodile or tiger would.

Pitbulls are demonized by the media because it gets ratings. Everyone loves to read about the horror story of a Pitbull that ate it's owner. Most people will then assume that many or most Pitbulls are like that. Just read this thread; most of the Pitbull haters have probably never actually met any that were raised by responsible owners.

It's not the breed, IMO.

I wish we could outlaw poor pet owners and animal abusers instead.

You made a very poor comparison. Most Pit Bulls won't kill you if you got close but a crocodile or tiger would.

Pitbulls are demonized by the media because it gets ratings. Everyone loves to read about the horror story of a Pitbull that ate it's owner. Most people will then assume that many or most Pitbulls are like that. Just read this thread; most of the Pitbull haters have probably never actually met any that were raised by responsible owners.
I have known plenty of pit bulls over the years, and I agree they are generally great dogs. My first job when I was a kid was actually working in a kennel. I am not arguing that every pitbull is a killer. But, I have personally seen several close calls, I have friends who have had their dog killed by a pit, and all pit bulls, even the friendly ones, have the genetic build to be deadly if they go sideways. And the scariest part of them is that they are not usually recognized as dangerous until AFTER they have caused a tragedy. Like I said before, it would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad, how after nearly every attack the owner's response is nearly verbatim: "He was the sweetest, gentlest dog...he's never done anything like this before..."

I have known plenty of pit bulls over the years, and I agree they are generally great dogs. My first job when I was a kid was actually working in a kennel. I am not arguing that every pitbull is a killer. But, I have personally seen several close calls, I have friends who have had their dog killed by a pit, and all pit bulls, even the friendly ones, have the genetic build to be deadly if they go sideways. And the scariest part of them is that they are not usually recognized as dangerous until AFTER they have caused a tragedy. Like I said before, it would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad, how after nearly every attack the owner's response is nearly verbatim: "He was the sweetest, gentlest dog...he's never done anything like this before..."

Those owners were probably useless, IMO.

Owning a dog takes a great amount of energy, care and dedication, especially a dog like a Pitbull. I know of so many bad owners that didn't socialize the dog well or didn't exercise it enough or joked after it got in a fight.

I'd be willing to bet that most dog attacks happened because their owners sucked and didn't train them properly.

ADVERTISEMENT