ADVERTISEMENT

3-year-old mauled to death by pit bull family owned just 5 days

Left a 4th of July party with my family 30 minutes into it because the hosts refused to put their pit bull inside and were just letting it roam free. Found out a few days later he snapped at an older lady sitting in a a chair it was laying next to for no reason and had to be put away eventually. Crazy.

Those owners were probably useless, IMO.

Owning a dog takes a great amount of energy, care and dedication, especially a dog like a Pitbull. I know of so many bad owners that didn't socialize the dog well or didn't exercise it enough or joked after it got in a fight.

I'd be willing to bet that most dog attacks happened because their owners sucked and didn't train them properly.
You are sort of making my point here though. The problem with pitbulls is that people think they are just getting a dog like any other dog and don't respect the pitbull's unique genetic makeup and disposition. You didn't like my comparison to a tiger...but they are much closer to a tiger than they are to a cocker spaniel. And that is very, very dangerous if it is not treated with tremendous respect...which as you say, a LOT of people do not do.

The further problem is that, even people who are very much doing everything the "right" way can have a disaster with these dogs. Sometimes it is the toddler that trips and falls toward them, sometimes it is kids running across their yard or a delivery person...there are all kinds of examples of well cared for, well trained pitbulls suddenly doing something completely out of character and someone getting very seriously injured or killed as a result. Not one or two anecdotal stories...hundreds of incidents in the US over the last decade. And thousands more near-misses and less lethal attacks that don't get reported.

That is why having a pitbull makes you uninsurable in some instances and why many localities around the world ban or restrict them. It isn't because of an unearned reputation or being misunderstood. It is because they are statistically far and away more likely to kill or maim someone vs other domesticated dogs. Risk is made up of likelihood and severity. For a pitbull, the likelihood of an attack is already higher, and the potential severity is catastrophic. Just not worth it IMO.

Reactions: Monzon and ping72
These things are killing machines and it is predominantly the lowest segment of society that owns them. I am terrified of pits and would never go near one.

I don't trust any dog around infant children,... More so if it's a pit bull, and certainly not if it's a pit bull that I have only known for five days. This father is going to carry this around for the rest of his life....

Last edited:
You are sort of making my point here though. The problem with pitbulls is that people think they are just getting a dog like any other dog and don't respect the pitbull's unique genetic makeup and disposition. You didn't like my comparison to a tiger...but they are much closer to a tiger than they are to a cocker spaniel. And that is very, very dangerous if it is not treated with tremendous respect...which as you say, a LOT of people do not do.

The further problem is that, even people who are very much doing everything the "right" way can have a disaster with these dogs. Sometimes it is the toddler that trips and falls toward them, sometimes it is kids running across their yard or a delivery person...there are all kinds of examples of well cared for, well trained pitbulls suddenly doing something completely out of character and someone getting very seriously injured or killed as a result. Not one or two anecdotal stories...hundreds of incidents in the US over the last decade. And thousands more near-misses and less lethal attacks that don't get reported.

That is why having a pitbull makes you uninsurable in some instances and why many localities around the world ban or restrict them. It isn't because of an unearned reputation or being misunderstood. It is because they are statistically far and away more likely to kill or maim someone vs other domesticated dogs. Risk is made up of likelihood and severity. For a pitbull, the likelihood of an attack is already higher, and the potential severity is catastrophic. Just not worth it IMO.
Great post. Only clarification I would make would be the underlined part. It's not out of character for that breed - it just hadn't publicly manifested itself in the owner's eyes.

I have plenty of anecdotal stories previously shared on this forum on pits. One dog I cited failed in his attack against me because I have a chain link fence (broke away from the kid walking it and charged me in my yard) but was shot by police two weeks later after succeeding in biting an elderly vet with an amputated leg. Another neighbor's dog was put down a few months ago after biting his owner's friend, who he'd known and been around for years previously. "Never been aggressive" "lick you to death" etc etc. We've heard it all before.

Pit bull's gonna pit bull, as others have stated. The statistics demonstrate it regardless of the apologists or deniers, and it won't be long before another person, likely a child under the age of 7, dies by a nice little pit bull who had never previously shown any aggressive behavior.

Does anyone know of reports of pit bulls killing healthy adult males? Perhaps they're smart enough to pick on easier targets like children and the elderly. I'm not a dog person but really don't like pit bulls, I can imagine them just taking a chunk out of someones calf. Not sure what the best way to defend against them would be.

A few years ago I was checking waterers on hot afternoon up in Benton County south of D-65 when I came across a group of 5 stray dogs in a pasture along Wolf Creek chasing after some stock cows and their calves. One of the dogs was a lab type mix that was only half heartedly chasing after them. Three of them were the small little yappy types of all description that couldn't do any real damage, but the cattle were afraid of them anyway.. The ringleader of the gang was a pit bull. When I stopped to close the gate behind me after entering the field I saw two dead calves against the well house permanent snow break. I drove as fast as I could across the pasture toward the terrified cattle. They were suffering from the heat terribly The lab mix stopped and stared at me good naturedly enough when I honked the horn at couple of times. Two of the three little yappers ran away and stood together near the lab. The third yapper stayed with the pit bull. I had one clear shot with my. 20 gauge. The yapper went down for good, but the pit bull never even yelped and continued after the cattle. I manuvered my truck as best I could on short notice and managed to butt the pit bull with the bumper doing about 20mph - he rolled over and was on his feet again instantly, but at least he lost interest in the cattle and starred back at the truck. I bumped him again and he moved back with a slobbering bark. I took off chasing him away from the cattle who were standing under some trees heaving heavily in the 90 degree heat. I chased him with the truck maybe 300 feet before I was able to run him down - I heard his head hit the front axle so I turned sharply to the right and rolled over him with the rear tire - I backed up over him both forward and back to make sure he was dead. I drove back to the cattle to see about the other dogs but by then a deputy sherriff had stopped on the gravel and seen what was happening and had already shot the lab and other two little yappers as they stood there looking at him. We never did find out where any of those strays had come from or who they belonged to, but they would not bother my cattle again.
PBgWEJi.gif

Reactions: BrianNole09
Does anyone know of reports of pit bulls killing healthy adult males? Perhaps they're smart enough to pick on easier targets like children and the elderly. I'm not a dog person but really don't like pit bulls, I can imagine them just taking a chunk out of someones calf. Not sure what the best way to defend against them would be.

The best way to defend against a dog attack is to hit them in the spine as hard as you can.

CSB m

A friend of mine has a pit bull that she rescued. The dog is incredibly gentle and is afraid of his own shadow. He'd have to be pushed incredibly hard to even defend himself.
Sounds like an incredibly well adjusted dog. Probably hasn't even been abused at all, given that it was rescued and is fearful of everything. Ts & Ps for the children of your friend, and her neighbors' kids.

Yes. It makes sense when you realize that pit bulls are powerful and and many times have bad owners. It'surely also a fact pit bulls are not more likely to bite than other breeds.

Owning any dog is a huge responsibility. Many people don't have any clue how to be a good dog owner. I think Pitbulls suffer more because they tend to have owners that want to have a tough dog. It's a bad situation.

Buuuuuuullllsshhhittt.

The best way to defend against a dog attack is to hit them in the spine as hard as you can.

CSB m
How much force do you actually believe you could generate hitting the spine of a dog unarmed when he/she has latched onto a body part of yours (leg, arm, throat) and is twitching/thrashing? The spine will be facing away from you in virtually every scenario.

How much force do you actually believe you could generate hitting the spine of a dog unarmed when he/she has latched onto a body part of yours (leg, arm, throat) and is twitching/thrashing? The spine will be facing away from you in virtually every scenario.

I don't know. Bystanders could also help. A veterinarian on TV said it once. If you know a better solution, please tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT