ADVERTISEMENT

3 years of Petras

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
Just want to shed some of my thoughts on the last 3 years and how we got to this low point. Three years ago we lost our first two games to Purdue and Northwestern. Both were winnable games, turnovers, penalties, inability to control the ball late were contributing factors to those losses. I was disappointed because we had waited so long for the season to begin and looked very average at best. But I didn’t put a lot of blame on our new QB. I really felt he needed some time to settle in. Anyway, we ran the table. Only two teams really played us competitively (Illinois and Nebraska). Illinois took it to us in the first half and we were fortunate to be down only 14-13 at half. (Remember when we could actually score 13 in a half? Lol). Anyway, Spencer lit it up in the 2nd half with 3 touchdowns. IMO he was by far the best player on the field. I thought, well we finally have our QB for the future. That season ended on a downer with Michigan cancelling, as well as Missouri. Hard to swallow, but looking forward to the following year. We opened with Indiana and Iowa State. Man, we could be 0-2 again. But we were lights against Indiana and played well against the Clones. Everyone was praising our D and figuring the offense would soon catch up. Well, we had Kent State and Colorado State to get the offense going. Petras hadn’t looked terrible, but it was hard to see any improvement. So, we get the two wins, but it was like this team had a lot of question marks on offense. Penn State comes to town and Kinnick was rockin. Defense was solid and knock their QB out of the game. Still, it wasn’t looking great at half, then Tory Taylor did his thing and we won’t the game due to field position. Petras did throw a nice touchdown to Ragaini, but for the most part, our offense looked pretty stale. With 3 minutes to go in the game, I think we intercept and have the ball on about their 35. The first play we run an end around and pickup about 5. The next two plays we take a knee. And this is what I feel is the beginning of all our offensive problems. Who does that? Who just says we are going to punt he ball and give you a chance to score? In his post game comments Kirk said, “I felt better with the defense out there”. We win the game….we are ranked number 2. All is good in Hawkeye land. (For one week) Purdue smothers us. Petras was bad….our defense was bad. Purdue threw the ball at will. And maybe the worst outcome: Charlie Jones liked Purdue’s passing game. No way were we deserving of a number 2 ranking. As it turned out, we really hadn’t beaten anyone. All of our wins were against mediocre teams at best. We get a bye week and then a trip to Madison. We should have just turned the bus around. We did run a QB twice in a row and couldn’t pick up a yard. But credit that Hawkeye team; we win out and “limp” our way into the championship. I say “limp” because Wisconsin payed an egg vs. the Gophers. Wisconsin was clearly better than we were. (Actually the west was so bad it didn’t matter who we sent).
No comment vs Michigan other than we left some points on the field in the first half. In the Kentucky game, we are up 17-13. About 3 minutes to go. Fourth and maybe a foot on the 50. And we frickin punt! I get it….we ran two QB sneaks in a row against Wisconsin and fail….lol. We punt….ball goes into the end zone….for a net of 25 yards. They march down the field and win the game. The point of all this is our offense has been poor the last couple of years. Our coaches don’t have any confidence in it. And now it’s come to this. We are not poor. We are beyond poor. It’s on everyone. Spencer has regressed to the point that he does need to sit….he is mentally broken. Very sad to see this. He’s not the first QB under Ferentz to regress, but none of the others have been this poor. Of course, none of the others had this poor of a line. Everybody on that staff has to own this dismal display of offense. I’ve never seen an offense with so many negative yardage plays. And now we are getting penalized. This is truly broken but I think we all saw this coming last year…..but this bad? This is hard to swallow. I don’t have the answers. And, unfortunately, I don’t think the coaches do either. For the first time in Kirk’s tenure, I have lost confidence in his decision making. But again, I have no answers.

Just want to shed some of my thoughts on the last 3 years and how we got to this low point. Three years ago we lost our first two games to Purdue and Northwestern. Both were winnable games, turnovers, penalties, inability to control the ball late were contributing factors to those losses. I was disappointed because we had waited so long for the season to begin and looked very average at best. But I didn’t put a lot of blame on our new QB. I really felt he needed some time to settle in. Anyway, we ran the table. Only two teams really played us competitively (Illinois and Nebraska). Illinois took it to us in the first half and we were fortunate to be down only 14-13 at half. (Remember when we could actually score 13 in a half? Lol). Anyway, Spencer lit it up in the 2nd half with 3 touchdowns. IMO he was by far the best player on the field. I thought, well we finally have our QB for the future. That season ended on a downer with Michigan cancelling, as well as Missouri. Hard to swallow, but looking forward to the following year. We opened with Indiana and Iowa State. Man, we could be 0-2 again. But we were lights against Indiana and played well against the Clones. Everyone was praising our D and figuring the offense would soon catch up. Well, we had Kent State and Colorado State to get the offense going. Petras hadn’t looked terrible, but it was hard to see any improvement. So, we get the two wins, but it was like this team had a lot of question marks on offense. Penn State comes to town and Kinnick was rockin. Defense was solid and knock their QB out of the game. Still, it wasn’t looking great at half, then Tory Taylor did his thing and we won’t the game due to field position. Petras did throw a nice touchdown to Ragaini, but for the most part, our offense looked pretty stale. With 3 minutes to go in the game, I think we intercept and have the ball on about their 35. The first play we run an end around and pickup about 5. The next two plays we take a knee. And this is what I feel is the beginning of all our offensive problems. Who does that? Who just says we are going to punt he ball and give you a chance to score? In his post game comments Kirk said, “I felt better with the defense out there”. We win the game….we are ranked number 2. All is good in Hawkeye land. (For one week) Purdue smothers us. Petras was bad….our defense was bad. Purdue threw the ball at will. And maybe the worst outcome: Charlie Jones liked Purdue’s passing game. No way were we deserving of a number 2 ranking. As it turned out, we really hadn’t beaten anyone. All of our wins were against mediocre teams at best. We get a bye week and then a trip to Madison. We should have just turned the bus around. We did run a QB twice in a row and couldn’t pick up a yard. But credit that Hawkeye team; we win out and “limp” our way into the championship. I say “limp” because Wisconsin payed an egg vs. the Gophers. Wisconsin was clearly better than we were. (Actually the west was so bad it didn’t matter who we sent).
No comment vs Michigan other than we left some points on the field in the first half. In the Kentucky game, we are up 17-13. About 3 minutes to go. Fourth and maybe a foot on the 50. And we frickin punt! I get it….we ran two QB sneaks in a row against Wisconsin and fail….lol. We punt….ball goes into the end zone….for a net of 25 yards. They march down the field and win the game. The point of all this is our offense has been poor the last couple of years. Our coaches don’t have any confidence in it. And now it’s come to this. We are not poor. We are beyond poor. It’s on everyone. Spencer has regressed to the point that he does need to sit….he is mentally broken. Very sad to see this. He’s not the first QB under Ferentz to regress, but none of the others have been this poor. Of course, none of the others had this poor of a line. Everybody on that staff has to own this dismal display of offense. I’ve never seen an offense with so many negative yardage plays. And now we are getting penalized. This is truly broken but I think we all saw this coming last year…..but this bad? This is hard to swallow. I don’t have the answers. And, unfortunately, I don’t think the coaches do either. For the first time in Kirk’s tenure, I have lost confidence in his decision making. But again, I have no answers.
Don't forget Petras threw an interception to end Kentucky game.

That's a good chronology of the last three years. It's interesting how we all pick up on some different aspects. A few of mine:

To me this offensive spiral has accelerated but goes way, way back. You mention some KF brainfarts but they've always been there. Remember always taking a knee with the last first half possession? Remember not allowing punts to be fielded and having them roll another 25 yard? About 10 or 12 years ago, we were doing well, but I made posts about offensive decisions and tendencies that, if continued, would likely start causing us problems. The response I got was "we won, didn't we". I actually got kicked of the board for being negative. Some of the earlier stuff has been eliminated but the defective mentality remains as you point out.

I was excited about SP because of what I had heard about him in practice as a freshman. I had never thought Stanley had made the kind of contribution we need at QB and was hoping that SP would. But after those first 2 games in 2020, I was hugely disappointed. I didn't think his athletic ability, decision-making, or play under pressure was nearly what we needed. He just didn't have the "it" factor and I would have immediately started looking elsewhere.

Regarding the current situation, it seems to be a confluence of some long-time problems with some new ones. KF has never had an offensive football mind or "feel"". Yet he's insisted on making all offensive decisions like clock-management, player participation, not using offense to create momentum shifts, not using offense to rest defense late, ....
He has never anticipated problems and solved them before they have an impact whether it be impending position problems (now OL) or player experience (not sufficient backup PT). And now is the horrendous Brian situation which he totally brought on himself and for which there's no easy solution.

I guess the biggest difference in our views is highlighted in you last statement. You have just lost confidence in his decision making. I lost confidence in his decision making about 15 years ago.

Just want to shed some of my thoughts on the last 3 years
Great. I was really wondering what bumper52’s thoughts have been the last 3 years.
Never mind. Too long, didn’t read.

Reactions: vacuum_cleaner
OP's point about Spencer lighting it up in the second half of that Illinois game and then thinking a about comments Spencer made a couple games about his footwork being off as a reason for overtbrows just makes me you want to pound your head on a desk. He clearly has too much going on in his head from the coaches filling it with negative outcomes (don't turn it over) vs letting him rip. This has to grind a player down over the years.

I think we need to lay off Petras. The guy is giving it everything he has he is just in too deep.
With our O line any QB is going to struggle. The fact he is the best option is the most worrisome aspect.

No, the poor quality of line play is the most worrisome aspect,.. You can change your quarterback, but very few programs have the ability to change their entire starting offensive line and expect improvement,.. and certainly not a developmental program, like Iowa.

From the very first start you could see Petras was awful. I texted a buddy during that game saying this guy is the worst Iowa starting QB in decades….he had a few games along the way that made me doubt my initial assessment like that Illinois game…but unfortunately my gut instinct was right from the get go.

Spencer seems like a great kid….this is on the coaches for continuing to trot him out there 100% broken…

Don't forget Petras threw an interception to end Kentucky game.
Knew he was going to repeat this on the final IL drive and sure enough a game ending pic. The coaches are awful for continuing this pattern. Have lost a lot of respect for Kirk to the point I just want him gone. I dumped our tics this year and not buying next year. He can be our next Lickliter and have an empty stadium to play in.... The fans can give him the middle finger back. F him and his stubborness.

OP's point about Spencer lighting it up in the second half of that Illinois game and then thinking a about comments Spencer made a couple games about his footwork being off as a reason for overtbrows just makes me you want to pound your head on a desk. He clearly has too much going on in his head from the coaches filling it with negative outcomes (don't turn it over) vs letting him rip. This has to grind a player down over the years.
Don’t turn it over must be the big emphasis in practice and why the coaches rave about SP and his practice prowess. They must drill it so heavy that it starts to take over as priority when scoring points should be…

good recap - I had forgotten about the fourth and foot vs. UK, that in a nutshell sums up Iowa's offense philosophy the last 15 years....:(

I never saw the "promise" in Petras. The Purdue game where they needed a score to win the game and it was a few turf balls and game over told me a lot. Petras never had "it" i.e. the ability to extend a play and make something out of nothing.

The guy can not make a play with his feet---and is mostly unwilling or coached not to take off. That said, Petras lack of mobility is magnified by the Ferentz failings at OL and WR recruiting.

During the open practice in the Spring Spencer mentioned afterwards that he panicked on one play resulting in an interception. Our 4th year QB panicked. In practice. With a bright yellow jersey on. It was at that moment that I realized that Spencer was Spencer, and no amount of time under center was going to change that.

Petras has regressed. Plain and simple. Not surprising, either, given who his quarterback coach is.

The whole thing is a fugging joke.

Reactions: kcgolfer
During the open practice in the Spring Spencer mentioned afterwards that he panicked on one play resulting in an interception. Our 4th year QB panicked. In practice. With a bright yellow jersey on. It was at that moment that I realized that Spencer was Spencer, and no amount of time under center was going to change that.
Yep. When you don’t have composure in practice, you sure as hell won’t have it when the lights come on.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Don’t turn it over must be the big emphasis in practice and why the coaches rave about SP and his practice prowess. They must drill it so heavy that it starts to take over as priority when scoring points should be…
Except he's turned it over way more than he's scored in the 10 or so games, so he's not even doing that right.

Don’t turn it over and don’t get hurt because you are the starter if you don’t get hurt!

Knew he was going to repeat this on the final IL drive and sure enough a game ending pic. The coaches are awful for continuing this pattern. Have lost a lot of respect for Kirk to the point I just want him gone. I dumped our tics this year and not buying next year. He can be our next Lickliter and have an empty stadium to play in.... The fans can give him the middle finger back. F him and his stubborness.
I doubt that many ticket holders give up their ticks. 6 fall saturdays to get together with buddies and tailgate. The game is the reason to get together. Win or lose fans show up. But if you go, and they keep trotting Petras out there. Boo like its 1999 to show KF what you think.

I sum 3 years of Petras up this way. Season 1 suck, season 2 suck some more and season 3 sucks Donkey balls. :) If he would come back and play another year he can shoot for sucking on a scale of biblical proportions. ;)
Well there won't be any trophy's in the trophy case when he is done. Streaks vs a bad ISU team and mediocre Illinois team are over. Hawks 7 game streaks vs Minny and Nebby may also end.

From the very first start you could see Petras was awful. I texted a buddy during that game saying this guy is the worst Iowa starting QB in decades….he had a few games along the way that made me doubt my initial assessment like that Illinois game…but unfortunately my gut instinct was right from the get go.

Spencer seems like a great kid….this is on the coaches for continuing to trot him out there 100% broken…
When you watch petras, you can tell his brain is scared and he wants to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible. 3yrd and he still is scared to be on the field

Just want to shed some of my thoughts on the last 3 years and how we got to this low point.

Three years ago we lost our first two games to Purdue and Northwestern. Both were winnable games, turnovers, penalties, inability to control the ball late were contributing factors to those losses. I was disappointed because we had waited so long for the season to begin and looked very average at best.

But I didn’t put a lot of blame on our new QB. I really felt he needed some time to settle in. Anyway, we ran the table. Only two teams really played us competitively (Illinois and Nebraska). Illinois took it to us in the first half and we were fortunate to be down only 14-13 at half. (Remember when we could actually score 13 in a half? Lol). Anyway, Spencer lit it up in the 2nd half with 3 touchdowns. IMO he was by far the best player on the field. I thought, well we finally have our QB for the future.

That season ended on a downer with Michigan cancelling, as well as Missouri. Hard to swallow, but looking forward to the following year.

We opened with Indiana and Iowa State. Man, we could be 0-2 again. But we were lights against Indiana and played well against the Clones. Everyone was praising our D and figuring the offense would soon catch up.

Well, we had Kent State and Colorado State to get the offense going. Petras hadn’t looked terrible, but it was hard to see any improvement. So, we get the two wins, but it was like this team had a lot of question marks on offense.

Penn State comes to town and Kinnick was rockin. Defense was solid and knock their QB out of the game. Still, it wasn’t looking great at half, then Tory Taylor did his thing and we won’t the game due to field position. Petras did throw a nice touchdown to Ragaini, but for the most part, our offense looked pretty stale.

With 3 minutes to go in the game, I think we intercept and have the ball on about their 35. The first play we run an end around and pickup about 5. The next two plays we take a knee. And this is what I feel is the beginning of all our offensive problems. Who does that? Who just says we are going to punt he ball and give you a chance to score? In his post game comments Kirk said, “I felt better with the defense out there”.

We win the game….we are ranked number 2. All is good in Hawkeye land. (For one week) Purdue smothers us. Petras was bad….our defense was bad. Purdue threw the ball at will. And maybe the worst outcome: Charlie Jones liked Purdue’s passing game. No way were we deserving of a number 2 ranking.

As it turned out, we really hadn’t beaten anyone. All of our wins were against mediocre teams at best. We get a bye week and then a trip to Madison. We should have just turned the bus around. We did run a QB twice in a row and couldn’t pick up a yard.

But credit that Hawkeye team; we win out and “limp” our way into the championship. I say “limp” because Wisconsin payed an egg vs. the Gophers. Wisconsin was clearly better than we were. (Actually the west was so bad it didn’t matter who we sent). No comment vs Michigan other than we left some points on the field in the first half.

In the Kentucky game, we are up 17-13. About 3 minutes to go. Fourth and maybe a foot on the 50. And we frickin punt! I get it….we ran two QB sneaks in a row against Wisconsin and fail….lol. We punt….ball goes into the end zone….for a net of 25 yards. They march down the field and win the game.

Conclusion:
The point of all this is our offense has been poor the last couple of years. Our coaches don’t have any confidence in it. And now it’s come to this. We are not poor. We are beyond poor. It’s on everyone.

Spencer has regressed to the point that he does need to sit….he is mentally broken. Very sad to see this. He’s not the first QB under Ferentz to regress, but none of the others have been this poor.

Of course, none of the others had this poor of a line. Everybody on that staff has to own this dismal display of offense. I’ve never seen an offense with so many negative yardage plays. And now we are getting penalized.

This is truly broken but I think we all saw this coming last year…..but this bad? This is hard to swallow. I don’t have the answers. And, unfortunately, I don’t think the coaches do either. For the first time in Kirk’s tenure, I have lost confidence in his decision making. But again, I have no answers.

When Petras can’t hit a receiver 10 yards away - over and over. Is that the O lines fault?
There are plays he does not appear capable to make. Especially the two short end zone plays where he has to throw over a defender across his body. Iowa is 5-1 if Iowa he makes those throws. The play calls were perfect but have to think of a better suited play for the starter to handle.

There are plays he does not appear capable to make. Especially the two short end zone plays where he has to throw over a defender across his body. Iowa is 5-1 if Iowa he makes those throws. The play calls were perfect but have to think of a better suited play for the starter to handle.
Calling plays that a player is not capable of making on a routine basis is complete madness and makes Brian an objectively bad playcaller

Reactions: amahawk and wxhawk
CF8-E5080-08-F7-4-A98-9124-1-CCBADC341-B4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT