I agree that the season should
be cancelled.

Reactions: Gimmered
There have also been at least
3 players who are healthy, but
have declined to play this year.
I agree that the season should
be cancelled.

This season and next should be cancelled. MLB should work on a new CBA for a new normal with no fans at games that stays in 2022

Reactions: cigaretteman
Today, MLB announced that 31 players have
tested positive and also 7 staff members of
various teams. This is not a good start for
MLB as it tries to play a 60 game season
without any fans.
How did these professional athletes, who have known about this global pandemic since March, get the virus?...........

Play ball. Deal with it.

This season and next should be cancelled. MLB should work on a new CBA for a new normal with no fans at games that stays in 2022
It would not bother me in the slightest if MLB was axed and all the funds from the folded organizations went towards aiding the neighboring NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS franchises.

It would not bother me in the slightest if MLB was axed and all the funds from the folded organizations went towards aiding the neighboring NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS franchises.

I believe we should be directing extra resources to e-sports. This will likely be the future of televised competition in the new normal post Covid society.

I could see a scenario where several major pro sports fold in the new normal actually. There will likely be several restarts tried but none that can find a financially viable model.
I could see a scenario where the pro sports resume and get right back on track within the year.

I don't think the human race is ready to totally hide from each other. It goes against the nature of humanity itself.

I could see a scenario where the pro sports resume and get right back on track within the year.

I don't think the human race is ready to totally hide from each other. It goes against the nature of humanity itself.

I would gladly bet on how many of the major pro sports and college basketball and football play a full enough season to crown a champion this year. Say $200 a sport?

I could see a scenario where several major pro sports fold in the new normal actually. There will likely be several restarts tried but none that can find a financially viable model.

Several major pro sports? Examples?

I believe we should be directing extra resources to e-sports. This will likely be the future of televised competition in the new normal post Covid society.
Considering the death of television, I don't think the major networks will want to pool anymore resources into it than they already have. You can tell just by watching a couple NBA 2K League episodes that they're ready to be done with this nonsense.

Not to mention, seeing as how there's no money in broadcasting e-sports on TV anyways, these sports networks won't last much longer without real sports as it is.

They can't air reruns forever, and we've already established that e-sports is a wasted venture meant to tide over real-sports thirsty young adults and easily manipulated teens and small children.

Sports journalism as a whole is in trouble, to be honest.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I would gladly bet on how many of the major pro sports and college basketball and football play a full enough season to crown a champion this year. Say $200 a sport?
That's the measure you're going to use??? Damn... you really bailed on your previous confidence of "no sports until 2022" and however many sports go extinct, and we all engage in e-sports. I think you're completely full of shit.

Reactions: mcgrawfsu
That's the measure you're going to use??? Damn... you really bailed on your previous confidence of "no sports until 2022" and however many sports go extinct, and we all engage in e-sports. I think you're completely full of shit.

So you’re in on the bet?

OK, I did not know that. I thought that they were on hold, still negotiating whether to begin play this year, etc. So are they playing "spring" training games and that type of stuff?

Started yesterday, will do spring training work for about a week, then play simulated, inter-squad games. They will then play other teams for the last five or so games before the regular seaosn.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
[member: 69753"]They need to stop. No place for non essential games in a pandemic.[/QUOTE]

When we still allowed to have parties....were you ever invited to any?

Started yesterday, will do spring training work for about a week, then play simulated, inter-squad games. They will then play other teams for the last five or so games before the regular seaosn.

OK, so if they just started yesterday, that is probably why I have heard nothing about it yet. But...if they just started yesterday...how do they have 31 positive COVID cases already? The incubation period is 3-6 days'ish.

Did 31 dudes show up to camp with it??

OK, so if they just started yesterday, that is probably why I have heard nothing about it yet. But...if they just started yesterday...how do they have 31 positive COVID cases already? The incubation period is 3-6 days'ish.

Yes.

They did a kind of baseline test.

MLB guys have been training for months. My son’s HS teammate has a big yard out in the sticks of West Palm. Has a full batting cage and one of those wood/turf mounds. As soon as the facilities were shut down a bunch of MLB guys were working out at his house. Imagine looking outside and seeing a Cy Young winner using your mound in the yard and an MVP taking BP in your cage.

There’s a cool article in the Athletic about MLB sandlot games going on in Palm Beach.

How did these professional athletes, who have known about this global pandemic since March, get the virus?...........

Because people won't wear masks in public, leading to >1.5M cases in the US.
Probably more like 5-7M running around right now.

Not like all their facilities are run by white-collar workers who's families can all socially distance.....

Because people won't wear masks in public, leading to >1.5M cases in the US.
Probably more like 5-7M running around right now.

Not like all their facilities are run by white-collar workers who's families can all socially distance.....
That's a lot of blame being spread around there......

Also, who said they got it at their facilities?

They only reported yesterday or within the last couple of days.

This is no longer a case of one person ruining it for everyone.

We are well past that f***ing point.........Play ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT