ADVERTISEMENT

3rd party option

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Was this a missed year for a viable 3rd party? I know I would love a viable 3rd party candidate as I dislike Biden and trump.

If someone like Tulsi had run as an independent, could she have won? I think if we had ranked choice voting she would be el

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Was this a missed year for a viable 3rd party? I know I would love a viable 3rd party candidate as I dislike Biden and trump.

If someone like Tulsi had run as an independent, could she have won? I think if we had ranked choice voting she would be el

The problem with the 3rd parties typically is not their candidates (granted, some are better than others just as some major party candidates are worse than others, so that's not a blanket statement). Rather, the bigger problem is the witless sycophants.

As I've posted previously, eligible voters are roughly broken down as follows:

20% who would vote for Charles Manson if he were the R nominee
20% who would vote for Charles Manson if he were the D nominee.
40% who won't vote no matter who the R's or D's nominate.
20% who aren't aligned with a party, and are responsible for actually choosing the winner.

What that means is that if even 75% of that final group were to rally around a single candidate other than one of the Manson conjoined twins, that candidate would still only get around 24% of the vote, and each of the conjoined twins would get around 36% (give or take a bit). But it would still be that final 5% that chose the winner, which could only be a Manson twin.

Last edited:

No. Unlike previous election years, this is not a philosophical exercise about voting for the best candidate. This is about voting against our nation's greatest existential threat in our lifetimes.

I agree. Missed year for third party candidate. It was hard enough voting for Johnson in '16. Trump is the most independent like candidate out of current options but I can't vote for him for obvious reasons. Biden is a hard no for me for obvious reasons. I'll probably vote for Kanye or write in my best friends name.

Yes I know I'm throwing my vote away but it's my vote and I can do with it as I please. Until there is a viable candidate that checks all the boxes on my list that's what I'll do.

What, Exactly, Is Tulsi Gabbard Up To?
As she injects chaos into the 2020 Democratic primary by accusing her own party of “rigging” the election, an array of alt-right internet stars, white nationalists and Russians have praised her.

NY Times

What, Exactly, Is Tulsi Gabbard Up To?
As she injects chaos into the 2020 Democratic primary by accusing her own party of “rigging” the election, an array of alt-right internet stars, white nationalists and Russians have praised her.

NY Times
Love me some Tulsi... but the D's poisoned her

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

With Dumb and Dumber facing off for the hearts and (tiny) minds of the sheep, this might be the best election in history to vote 3rd party.

Who could garner enough support to be that third candidate? Kanye is a joke who is only on the ballots in select states to try and pull votes from Biden.

I do agree with the suggestion of Dwayne Johnson, but he is not interested this year. I am not even sure if he would be a good candidate, but he does seem to be a pretty smart guy with a good head on his shoulders, which does beg the question of why would he run in the first place! At this point, my hope is that Biden can help pull the country together and we have better options in 2024.

Who could garner enough support to be that third candidate? Kanye is a joke who is only on the ballots in select states to try and pull votes from Biden.

I do agree with the suggestion of Dwayne Johnson, but he is not interested this year. I am not even sure if he would be a good candidate, but he does seem to be a pretty smart guy with a good head on his shoulders, which does beg the question of why would he run in the first place! At this point, my hope is that Biden can help pull the country together and we have better options in 2024.

Elections ≠ horse races

If I have to explain to you why voting for anybody but Biden is risking our democracy, then maybe you should sit this election out.
Well, you are part of the “would vote for Charles Manson if he were the D nominee” crowd.

I agree. Missed year for third party candidate. It was hard enough voting for Johnson in '16. Trump is the most independent like candidate out of current options but I can't vote for him for obvious reasons. Biden is a hard no for me for obvious reasons. I'll probably vote for Kanye or write in my best friends name.

Yes I know I'm throwing my vote away but it's my vote and I can do with it as I please. Until there is a viable candidate that checks all the boxes on my list that's what I'll do.
Nobody who votes their conscience is ever throwing their vote away. Don’t listen to the sycophants.

I personally would be ashamed of myself for voting for either Trump or Biden. Both are horrible excuses for human beings. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

One, Trump is an existential threat to our democracy and the future of our nation and the world. The other, Biden, has spent a lifetime in service of our country and is qualified, intelligent, and experienced leader. Those facts are indisputable.

Last edited:

And this attitude is what gave us Donald Trump.

Reactions: funksouljon
One, Trump is an existential threat to our democracy and the future of our nation in the world. The other, Biden, has spent a lifetime in service of our country and is qualified, intelligent, and experienced leader. Those facts are indisputable.
Giant Douche vs Turd Sammy....

Is the point that 2016 Hillary voters wasted their vote?

I would say no as she did have a chance to win and did end up with more votes in total. That would not be the case with a third party candidate, especially this year. I will admit that my view in this is probably impacted my desire to see Trump out of office, so a vote for anyone other than Biden may end up helping Trump retain the Presidency.

Guys. People who aren't already voting for Biden aren't going to vote for Biden. They are mostly fiscal conservatives who don't want to vote for Trump because he's awful and not delivering even on the stuff they want. These people are voting for Trump, not voting, or voting 3rd party. I encourage them to find the 3rd party candidate they most support and participate in our process.

It is your right to throw your vote away. But in this election, that is a terrible thing thing to do and makes you a bad citizen.

I would say no as she did have a chance to win and did end up with more votes in total. That would not be the case with a third party candidate, especially this year. I will admit that my view in this is probably impacted my desire to see Trump out of office, so a vote for anyone other than Biden may end up helping Trump retain the Presidency.

But rememeber, elections = horse races. Winning is all that matters. Hillary lost. Wasted vote.

No. Unlike previous election years, this is not a philosophical exercise about voting for the best candidate. This is about voting against our nation's greatest existential threat in our lifetimes.
Agreed the scourge of alcoholic seltzer cannot continue to plague our great nation.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
There is a winner in both, so I guess I am missing your point here.

The point is that picking hte winner what is important in horse racing, and voting your conscience by supporting the candidate that best represents your positiions and values is what is important in elections.

Ergo, one is not like the other.

The problem with the 3rd parties typically is not their candidates (granted, some are better than others just as some major party candidates are worse than others, so that's not a blanket statement). Rather, the bigger problem is the witless sycophants.

As I've posted previously, eligible voters are roughly broken down as follows:

20% who would vote for Charles Manson if he were the R nominee
20% who would vote for Charles Manson if he were the D nominee.
40% who won't vote no matter who the R's or D's nominate.
20% who aren't aligned with a party, and are responsible for actually choosing the winner.

What that means is that if even 75% of that final group were to rally around a single candidate other than one of the Manson conjoined twins, that candidate would still only get around 24% of the vote, and each of the conjoined twins would get around 36% (give or take a bit). But it would still be that final 5% that chose the winner, which could only be a Manson twin.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't totally agree. The 40% in the 3rd group and the 20% in the 4th group are up for grabs. This is 60% who can be easily swayed.

I also the the first 2 groups could be swayed if some of the core beliefs match up.

The entire premise is faulty. A "viable third party" doesn't start with the presidency. The idea is idiotic. At the very very best, they might throw the race to the House where this "viable third party" candidate would get precisely zero votes. Can anybody explain to our resident "I voted for X" chest thumpers why that would happen? They don't seem to get it no matter how many times it's pointed out.

ADVERTISEMENT