ADVERTISEMENT

4 games.

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2017
Hayden Fry had a .613 winning percentage while coaching at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz currently has a .596 winning percentage as the coach of Iowa. The difference? 4 losses that "would have" been wins. So, the question is, if you could take 4 losses during the KF tenure and turn them into wins what games would you pick?

Me: 02 ISU and I'll spend a 2nd (usc) to say we win the Natty, Michigan 04 for a straight up b10 and who knows what, '15 Rose, would have been nice.

What say you?

Wisconsin fake punt game.

That play marked some weird kind of geomagnetic pole reversal between the two programs.

Iowa had won 6 of the previous 8 vs. Wisconsin heading into that game and were well on their way to making it 7/9. Wisconsin won that game thanks to the fake punt (from their own 25 yard line mid-late in the 4thQ down 6 points) and have won 5 of 6 from the Hawks since. The stench gets even worse when you remember that Bielema set it in motion.

Last edited:
Hayden Fry had a .613 winning percentage while coaching at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz currently has a .596 winning percentage as the coach of Iowa. The difference? 4 losses that "would have" been wins. So, the question is, if you could take 4 losses during the KF tenure and turn them into wins what games would you pick?

Me: 02 ISU and I'll spend a 2nd (usc) to say we win the Natty, Michigan 04 for a straight up b10 and who knows what, '15 Rose, would have been nice.

What say you?
You're tryin' to start trouble again, aren't ya' :D

Reactions: Freyvet
2015 ccg against msu
2009 osu
2004 mich
2002 usc

Win these 4 and today KF would be considered the most underpaid coach in football.
That's a real good list, but I'd swap out the 2004 Mich, and substitute the Stanford Bowl. 2002 USC and Rose Bowl were beatdowns. We played well in the first half of 2009 OSU loss, right?

Reactions: desihawk
I got it wrong...I was thinkin' of the ,13 OSU game when we went TE crazy in the first half, and had 'em worried...

'02 OSU, '03 USC Rose Bowl, 2015 B1G championship, 2016 Play-off game :). 2 National titles.

I have always been kind of relieved about 2002 ISU. That team wouldn’t have made the national championship undefeated.

A few Ohio State games stand out to me. Damnit it was great to kick those guys ass last year

Reactions: badger-007
Didn’t play tOSU in 02, played USC in Orange not Rose, so I’d say 02 ISU but think still on outside looking in unless a tie for beating USC in Orange with tOSU for beating Miami that year with the really late pass int call.

Michigan 04 when the Hawks got jobbed with the 19 game Home winning streak. That was an embarrassing game to see called toward Michigan all day. Braylon Edwards grabs our guy and we get called for pass int, running by the punt receiver and Iowa called for interference, it was crazy bad.

Florida Outback bowl getting jobbed in there too. Too many calls to discuss. Just you tube for the conspiracy theory.

I think we went all tight end crazy on OSU in 2009 when stanza was out.

Just 1 for me. The Cap One bowl against LSU. The clock was running but Drew Tate didn't know that... I was so pissed I turned it off right then. Should have won that game.

That's a real good list, but I'd swap out the 2004 Mich, and substitute the Stanford Bowl. 2002 USC and Rose Bowl were beatdowns. We played well in the first half of 2009 OSU loss, right?

But if you win the 2015 CCG, the Stanford Rose Bowl does not exist.

But then again, you win the 2004 Mich game, then the Cap One Bowl does not exist, and if you win the 2009 OSU game, the Orange Bowl does not exist. and maybe instead we have two more Rose Bowl beat-downs on record.

Since 2004 was a B1G championship season anyway and had a classic ending, I would instead substitute 2004 Mich game for 2010 Wisconsin, since that loss seemed to be the first step towards years and years of football misery.

2015 Rose Bowl vs Stanford
2003 Orange Bowl vs USC
2006 Outback Bowl vs Florida
2017 Outback Bowl vs Florida

Think Hemi likes winning bowl games? ;)

200.gif

The loss in 2009 to jNW is totally a non-issue if we beat OSU in OT at Columbus. That is one I would like to have back. We would be undisputed B1G champs that year.

I will not include the ISU game in 2002, because almost every member of that team insists that the ISU loss solidified the team and really was the catalyst for the rest of that amazing season.

I would rather have the Nebraska game back from a few years ago, after being ahead 24-7. Then we would have -what - a 4 or 5 game win streak against them. I don’t think any sort of championship was on the line, but I think we all agree that one is hard to swallow.

After that, I cringe when I think of the loss to NDSU. If they don’t call Daniels 50+ yard TD back, we win. We may never have a chance to shut them up. It doesn’t matter that Daniels and Welsh were both out for that game, no one cares. It will always be a loss to an FCS team.

Finally, the 2015 CCG to the MSU criminals. That stings more than PSU last year, because the conference championship was on the line. We probably get blown out in the playoffs, just like they did, but at least we would be B1G champs..

The 2004 (edit: s.b. 2005 game at home, per Pepperman) Michigan game and the 2006 Bowl game vs Florida were truly stolen from us and deserve their own category.

Last edited:
Lots of good choice and everybody has their list. After seeing logic behind others, I would be inclined to change my mind. Now, just figure out which games make my new list.

'

What say you?
2015 B1G Championship Game
2009 vs Northwestern
2002 Iowa State
2004 Michigan

1) Harmon Rose Bowl

2) MSU B1G Championship

3) National Semi-final after MSU win

4) National Final after semi-final win

:)

Any 2 ISU games
2 MAC losses.

Bingo. Those should never have happened.

Only one of these games would have greatly impacted how a season ended up, ISU in 02. And to be honest it's debatable how much that single game would have even mattered since it's unlikely we bump tOSU. Otherwise you're looking at turning below average seasons to marginal at best (07 Western Michigan for a crap bowl game) or a 9 win season over an 8 (NIU 2013).

Any Iowa fan that would trade the other games being discussed in this thread (09 tOSU, 15-16 Stanford, 09 NU, UM 04, etc) for a non-02 ISU game or MAC game is:
A) Not an Iowa fan
B) Not very smart
C) Some combination of the two

As for my list:

2004 Michigan - Outright B10
2016 Stanford - Long awaited Rose Bowl
2002 ISU and 2003 USC - I'd say to my dying breath that Iowa would have a claim to the NC with tOSU.

2009 NU and tOSU would be interesting due to Outright B10 Championship, however, I don't see Iowa over Texas or Bama for the NC game and who knows the matchup results of Iowa/Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

What say you?

Americanzi in '09. Wins over Northwestern and Ohio State out there.

Mich State 2015. Hate Dantonio.

Penn State last year. Would have gotten some better mojo going.

Only one of these games would have greatly impacted how a season ended up, ISU in 02. And to be honest it's debatable how much that single game would have even mattered since it's unlikely we bump tOSU. Otherwise you're looking at turning below average seasons to marginal at best (07 Western Michigan for a crap bowl game) or a 9 win season over an 8 (NIU 2013).

Any Iowa fan that would trade the other games being discussed in this thread (09 tOSU, 15-16 Stanford, 09 NU, UM 04, etc) for a non-02 ISU game or MAC game is:
A) Not an Iowa fan
B) Not very smart
C) Some combination of the two

I was thinking more of games that KFz should... have won, than ones that would have been big. (Which seems pretty obvious). But thank you for putting me in my place.

I was thinking more of games that KFz should... have won, than ones that would have been big. (Which seems pretty obvious). But thank you for putting me in my place.
"So, the question is, if you could take 4 losses during the KF tenure and turn them into wins what games would you pick?"

Seems pretty self explanatory to me, especially after how the first handful of examples went. But you're right, it could have been taken other ways. My bad my dude.

"So, the question is, if you could take 4 losses during the KF tenure and turn them into wins what games would you pick?"

Seems pretty self explanatory to me, especially after how the first handful of examples went. But you're right, it could have been taken other ways. My bad my dude.

Once I started reading the other lists.... ISU 2002, tOSU 2009 etc my list changed pretty quickly.

Just for the record, you guys are referencing the 2004 Michigan game at times as being stolen from us. You're thinking of 2005 which was in Iowa City and broke the home win streak. 2004 was in Ann Arbor, and IIRC directly after the ASU debacle (44-7) in the desert. My only concrete memory of that 2004 game is we were sort of close, and Drew Tate's helmet got ripped off his head on one play.

(please smash the like button now)

Reactions: TKingpin

I agree (with your sarcasm).

I've never been a coulda woulda shoulda type here. You cannot change what is already over with.

However - 2016 NDSU, 2014 ISU, 2012 Indiana, ISU and CMU, 2010 and 2011 Minnesota, 2007 ISU and WMU - those are losses that never, ever should have occurred.

Heartbreaking losses to good teams I can handle. The only one of my listed losses that are remotely palatable is quite honestly NDSU. Yes, they are FCS but they also were arguably smack dab in the middle of the best stretch run of any FCS program in history too.

I mean, yeah - 2009, the Stanzi injury probably ruined what might have been the best Hawkeye football year in my lifetime, but when it gets right down to it your backup QB is part of the team too. If 2009 "was meant to be" without the injury, in my book it shouldn't have mattered with the injury. That team still had it's chances, it was hardly "all Stanzi" talent-wise.

Reactions: Wadzinator
After thinking about this for a while, I'm picking 3 games that I believe were lost (or at least winning chances were not maximized) due to coaching errors:

2008 at Pitt (Stanzi should have played the whole game)
2009 at OSU (53 seconds and a time out, we end up running a half-assed play and then taking a knee)
2010 vs Wisconsin (although I myself never considered a fake punt, many did and staff should have played that one safe)

and one that just hurt like hell to witness in person:

2015 B1G title game (nothing I'd change about it in hindsight, we simply couldn't seal it at the end)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT