ADVERTISEMENT

4 Hawkeyes on the HoF ballot

SoFla-Hawkeye

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2001
Dallas Clark. Bob Sanders. Merton Hanks. And Reggie Roby all nominated on the initial ballot.

Clark gets in eventually but maybe not this year. Roby should already be in but is a punter.

I don't think Bob had enough games played to really be considered, although they could give him the Gale Sayers treatment since he was dominant when healthy.

I doubt Hanks gets in if he hasn't already since it has been over 20 years since he retired. His resume does stack up pretty well against Bob with a lot more games played albeit without the Defensive POY.

Somewhat surprised that Clark and Roby are not already there.
Clark is new enough that I'm not surprised. Roby absolutely. I don't care about any punter bias, Roby is a no brainer. I'd have thought Hanks should be in by now, too.
Did Sanders play enough to really be considered?
IMO, his presence was the difference the Colts needed on defense to finally go all the way. Without him, the 2006 season is just like any other Manning year. That means he made enough of an impact to deserve recognition. Pro HoF, though? I do think that's a stretch because of longevity. To me, a HoF is "you're an obvious choice for a majority of fans or tough luck." There's enough argument with Bob that he's probably out.

I think Roby is the most deserving and should get in. Clark is close, but not quite. He is certainly worthy of the nomination even if he doesn't get in. Sanders, as so many have said, just couldn't stay healthy enough to have the longevity of dominance needed to get into the Fame. Still a great honor to be nominated. Hanks is a question mark for me. He was a productive contributor on some great 49ers teams, made a few pro bowls, I think, but the competition at his position over the decades has been pretty stout so I don't think he'll make it. Again, a great honor just to be nominated.

ADVERTISEMENT