ADVERTISEMENT

4-star dual threat QB from Va Tech (Patterson) enters transfer portal...

Iowa offered in '18...from Illinois. Hmmmm....
Quincy Patterson
"Where he needs work is in the passing game""Reverted to extremely poor technique".."Accuracy struggled"...a couple negatives that were listed about him coming out of high school...

Sounds like the QB Michigan has been trotting out there-Joe Milton...Both are excellent runners that are physical athletes with limited passing skills and poor accuracy.

During his short career at VA Tech in limited action..he completed 42.3% of his passing attempts...

"Where he needs work is in the passing game""Reverted to extremely poor technique".."Accuracy struggled"...a couple negatives that were listed about him coming out of high school...

Sounds like the QB Michigan has been trotting out there-Joe Milton...Both are excellent runners that are physical athletes with limited passing skills and poor accuracy.

During his short career at VA Tech in limited action..he completed 42.3% of his passing attempts...
To quote Scott Frost when he had a chance to go after Joe Burrow... "Is he better than what we have now"?

Another 4 star in the portal. Was # 11 pro style QB in 2019.

Georgia QB, former Michigan State football commit D'wan Mathis enters transfer portal

Kirkland Crawford, Detroit Free Press
Mon, November 30, 2020, 12:12 PM CST

Once "100%" committed to Ohio State, even after Urban Meyer retired and the Buckeyes promoted Ryan Day, Mathis decommitted from Ohio State and signed with Georgia at the start of the early signing period in late 2018, citing a chance to play early in his college career.

Reactions: szohn
Or this guy..................but says he probably ends up at Ole Miss.

Four-star QB Luke Altmyer decommits from FSU football

Another 4 star in the portal. Was # 11 pro style QB in 2019.

Georgia QB, former Michigan State football commit D'wan Mathis enters transfer portal

Kirkland Crawford, Detroit Free Press
Mon, November 30, 2020, 12:12 PM CST

Once "100%" committed to Ohio State, even after Urban Meyer retired and the Buckeyes promoted Ryan Day, Mathis decommitted from Ohio State and signed with Georgia at the start of the early signing period in late 2018, citing a chance to play early in his college career.
His first verbal was to ISU.
He then flipped to MSU...then OSU....and finally decided Georgia is where he wanted to play...

Seriously? People are ragging on Petras and we want to bring in a guy who's completeing 42% of his passes? Oh boy.....:eek:

Not saying this is the guy but I'd like to see our coaching staff take a look at the transfer QB market and see if there is any possible candidates out there that'd be interested in Iowa.

I’m not saying he should pull a Frost and have different QBs in every other series. But if Petras doesn’t progress much more throughout the year they need to seriously consider a transfer. With a competent QB this team will be in the hunt for a West title

I’m not saying he should pull a Frost and have different QBs in every other series. But if Petras doesn’t progress much more throughout the year they need to seriously consider a transfer. With a competent QB this team will be in the hunt for a West title
Deuce Hogan is a true freshman. I hope we aren't looking for transfers prior to giving the guys already on campus a real shot. That's a BAD look IMO.

I'm not anti-transfer, other than it's out of hand as far as I'm concerned, but I don't want Iowa to be Transfer U. Recruit better and you don't need transfers.

I’m sorry but if either Hogan or Padilla can’t beat out Petras, Iowa better look for the best grad transfer qb that is mobile and can complete a pass to a wide receiver. Iowa winning or competing for a B1G title is when they have a qb that can scramble and find a receiver downfield. Iowa needs a gamer, not a manager of the game that looks to avoid mistakes instead of make plays.

I’m sorry but if either Hogan or Padilla can’t beat out Petras, Iowa better look for the best grad transfer qb that is mobile and can complete a pass to a wide receiver. Iowa winning or competing for a B1G title is when they have a qb that can scramble and find a receiver downfield. Iowa needs a gamer, not a manager of the game that looks to avoid mistakes instead of make plays.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Kirk probably thinks he has the 3 best QB's in the Conference, just so happens he has reasons unknown to keep playing one of them and will unleash the other two in due time ( If they haven't transferred of course).

Last edited:
Deuce Hogan is a true freshman. I hope we aren't looking for transfers prior to giving the guys already on campus a real shot. That's a BAD look IMO.

LMFAO!!!!! What are you 8 years old? Good, healthy programs have competitions for jobs at every position group, the team comes first, and nothing is promised to anyone, period. Beat the other man out if you want to play, and If you’re afraid of competition, then GTFO!

I can guarantee you the best coaches in the business (Saban, Meyer, Dabo) set this expectation up front. The ones that don’t make promises and end up with garbage cultures that aren’t healthy or sustainable.

Last edited:
LMFAO!!!!! What are you 8 years old? Good, healthy programs have competitions for jobs at every position group, the team comes first, and nothing is promised to anyone, period. Beat the other man out if you want to play, and If you’re afraid of competition, then GTFO!

I can guarantee you the best coaches in the business (Saban, Meyer, Dabo) set this expectation up front. The ones that don’t make promises and end up with garbage cultures that aren’t healthy or sustainable.
Again, Deuce Hogan is a true freshman. Not sure anything else needs to be said. But somehow this drivel from you was put into writing.

I am not a Petras hater because I can see the talent there, he just isn't making the plays that are there and that is on him. He has to get better or Iowa needs to give someone else some reps.

Here is how I see it playing out- Petras gets all of the reps for this year. We have a full spring camp and fall camp where the coaches can evaluate. Hogan takes the number two spot and Padilla transfers. Petras is on the short leash for the first part of 21'

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Perhaps these "four star" transfers simply aren't four star material...
You trust this staff to judge qb talent? Petras was supposed to be all world according to them, and he's the worst qb we have had in a long time.

You trust this staff to judge qb talent? Petras was supposed to be all world according to them, and he's the worst qb we have had in a long time.

I'll start by seriously considering the possibility that these guys are moving on from their current locations because they couldn't meet expectations...

Pat’s gonna be roaming the sideline next year in Chicago, but hopefully he will be coaching the Bears. I hope for two reasons - I am a Bears fan and he won’t be be a thorn in the Hawkeyes’ side anymore.

Bears problem is ownership. Just like my team who had an aged old dude owner who hung on forever and the team was shit to mediocre. That's the Bears now just like the Jets. Doomed until ownership changes. Trevor Lawrence is gonna go to the Jets and get killed just like Burrow just did at the Bengals.

Any chance KOK retires this year and Kirk is forced to hire a different QB coach? I don't see how it could be much worse.

Iowa's gotta do something. If they stick with Petras, Hogan isn't sticking around for three years. Go after this guy and let Padilla and Petras make their decision on sticking around.

What is this infatuation with Hogan? I said during his recruitment that I didn't see the hype. LOW 50% in completion percentage...lower that Petras stats in high school. If Hogan leaves, he leaves. As far as I can tell he is another QB with accuracy issues.

What is this infatuation with Hogan? I said during his recruitment that I didn't see the hype. LOW 50% in completion percentage...lower that Petras stats in high school. If Hogan leaves, he leaves. As far as I can tell he is another QB with accuracy issues.
Its cuz of his name and being from Texas. He does exude confidence but that won't necessarily translate to wins. I'm not satisfied with Petras and thought he would be further along, but saying it couldn't be worse is a bit of a stretch. I feel Petras is the best we have right now.

Pat’s gonna be roaming the sideline next year in Chicago, but hopefully he will be coaching the Bears. I hope for two reasons - I am a Bears fan and he won’t be be a thorn in the Hawkeyes’ side anymore.
Not a chance. He don't want to leave Northwestern. They have several things over there that we do not. Pisses me off.

ADVERTISEMENT