ADVERTISEMENT

4-star dual threat QB from Va Tech (Patterson) enters transfer portal...

What is this infatuation with Hogan? I said during his recruitment that I didn't see the hype. LOW 50% in completion percentage...lower that Petras stats in high school. If Hogan leaves, he leaves. As far as I can tell he is another QB with accuracy issues.
Well, with either player it's important to watch game film so you can evaluate their "issues" in High School. Is it worth offering a scholarship to a DI Program or not? Then you have the almighty "measurables". All H.S. QB's have to be "Coached up" to some degree at the DI level right?

Did Hogan have lousy receivers? Did they throw deep a lot? Did he throw uncatchable balls consistently? Same questions you would ask of Petras. All completion %'s are not created equal.

Reactions: Hammer93
Its cuz of his name and being from Texas. He does exude confidence but that won't necessarily translate to wins. I'm not satisfied with Petras and thought he would be further along, but saying it couldn't be worse is a bit of a stretch. I feel Petras is the best we have right now.

Aside from Drew Tate, NObody exuded more "confidence" than Jake Christensen...except maybe his dad. And it definitely didn't translate to "success", although he did have a few wins.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I think both Bethard and Stanley had completion per cents in upper 50s their senior year. I looked it up a few weeks ago but don't recall it exactly.

"Where he needs work is in the passing game""Reverted to extremely poor technique".."Accuracy struggled"...a couple negatives that were listed about him coming out of high school...

Sounds like the QB Michigan has been trotting out there-Joe Milton...Both are excellent runners that are physical athletes with limited passing skills and poor accuracy.

During his short career at VA Tech in limited action..he completed 42.3% of his passing attempts...
Yeah, no thanks.

What is this infatuation with Hogan? I said during his recruitment that I didn't see the hype. LOW 50% in completion percentage...lower that Petras stats in high school. If Hogan leaves, he leaves. As far as I can tell he is another QB with accuracy issues.
What I'm getting at is with three guys that have 3+ years of eligibility, somebody is gonna be leaving. With the current situation, see what you have in game situations. From what the fans have seen so far... if Petras is CLEARLY the best guy... there's a problem.

This looks like another typical Iowa football team... be average on offense and let Parker win it with defense.

Former UCF star QB McKenzie Milton is now in the portal.

Offer him some fat stacks of cabbage, a new car...tell him about the beautiful Chicago-area girls that come to Iowa city by the thousands.

Then ask ISM and B Smith to play another year. Championship.

Former UCF star QB McKenzie Milton is now in the portal.

Offer him some fat stacks of cabbage, a new car...tell him about the beautiful Chicago-area girls that come to Iowa city by the thousands.

Then ask ISM and B Smith to play another year. Championship.

Maybe not that but he can swim in Kirk's pool and eat Mary's cookies.

It's easy to pile on to Petras right now, but I'm reserving judgement. This was a crazy year and a crazy season; tough for a QB even who has been in the program a while to take the reins for the first time. I want the program to go through one semi-normal off-season, where Petras is the clear favorite but the other 2 QB's get normal practices and workouts. We start '21 against 2 quality opponents (Indiana, Iowa St), and if Petras doesn't "have it" for those games, I would have to believe that at that point we would start seeing Padilla and/or Deuce in meaningful minutes.

I personally am hoping for Petras to really benefit from this year's experience and come out of the gates a solid player next year, because I don't care to lose either of those first 2 games. Wouldn't mind at all seeing Petras make a Matt Rodgers-like jump from his soph to his junior year.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
One thing I've been thinking about as well, is I think a lot of people are making Padilla out to be something he's not, with the thinking that he's somehow much more mobile than Petras.

Career HS rushing stats:

Alex Padilla
115 ATT, -28 YDS, 7 TD

Spencer Petras
159 ATT, 533 YDS, 16 TD

One thing I've been thinking about as well, is I think a lot of people are making Padilla out to be something he's not, with the thinking that he's somehow much more mobile than Petras.

Career HS rushing stats:

Alex Padilla
115 ATT, -28 YDS, 7 TD

Spencer Petras
159 ATT, 533 YDS, 16 TD
That is a good find. Padilla could be good. But he is getting the backup QB is best treatment

What I don't like about Petras is that I don't see any one part of his game that he excels in. He throws a lousy deep ball, isn't particularly accurate throwing on the move, and he hasn't shown touch on short passes from the pocket.

When watching Hogan's HS highlights he seems to throw a nice deep ball. That would complement this team very well (with our 2020 ground game). Didn't see any evidence Deuce had great touch on short passes... but at least his deep ball gives you something to build on, and might keep defenses honest

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
What I don't like about Petras is that I don't see any one part of his game that he excels in. He throws a lousy deep ball, isn't particularly accurate throwing on the move, and he hasn't shown touch on short passes from the pocket.

When watching Hogan's HS highlights he seems to throw a nice deep ball. That would complement this team very well (with our 2020 ground game). Didn't see any evidence Deuce had great touch on short passes... but at least his deep ball gives you something to build on, and might keep defenses honest
Watch Petras HS highlights. it is much the same as Deuce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT