ADVERTISEMENT

4 Star PG Richard Isaacs Plans to make Official Visit to Iowa in June. His Dad: "I’ve been all in on Iowa Bball. Franny’s staff is one reason."

Yes, a discussion surrounding two good point guards, and I acutely stated that ANY good point guard should see opportunity given Fran’s system. I contributed to the conversation and was on topic. We ended up getting one of those two point guards, and the other is now no longer on the table, which is not at all surprising given the high level of talent and ball-dominant nature of both.

My suggestion is to stop being overly defensive about everything, since my original post here wasn’t even intended to cast shade at you for bumping this thread, and there are two premium members providing premium information on the free board that was pertinent to this thread, for which the rest of us should be appreciative

Sorry I sounded defensive and I am not trying to put you on the defensive. That's why I winked.. ;)

I just don't think anything is apparent when it comes to recruiting, especially when Fran keeps things so close to the vest and when Richard's dad can't say enough good things about Fran and his staff.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
You didn't see the wink in the post? This is nothing to get defensive about.

All I am saying is that when WorldSeries said Isaacs wasn't coming anymore, I disagreed with UNO when he said that should have been apparent.

On May 29, nothing was apparent,
* We had no idea what Bowen would do.
* We had no idea UNTIL TODAY what Isaacs would do if Bowen committed.
* We had no idea what Fran was thinking concerning whether he would take 1 or 2 PGs. TODAY it appears he will be only taking one.
I meant that it should have been apparent after Bowen committed, which was five days ago. Not sure what the reference to May 29th is for. IMO, it would have been more of a possibility of landing Isaacs first, then selling Bowen (who Fran had the better relationship with, as well as fewer and worse offers overall) on coming in to play off guard and splitting time with Isaacs

But the reality, admittedly with the full benefit of hindsight, is that we were likely never going to get both

Reactions: RocknRollface
I meant that it should have been apparent after Bowen committed, which was five days ago. Not sure what the reference to May 29th is for. IMO, it would have been more of a possibility of landing Isaacs first, then selling Bowen (who Fran had the better relationship with, as well as fewer and worse offers overall) on coming in to play off guard and splitting time with Isaacs

But the reality, admittedly with the full benefit of hindsight, is that we were likely never going to get both

"Do we take 2 PG’s in 2022 if Bowen were to commit" was discussed over 5 days, from May 29-June 2.

"Do we take 2 PG’s in 2022 if Bowen were to commit" was discussed over 5 days, from May 29-June 2.
This is again a misquote. The thread was called “Do we take 2 PG’s in 2022?” and the Bowen then Isaacs example was the specific one cited. As Hawk4shur aptly pointed out in the second response to the thread, none of us (at least on the free board) knew exactly what the commitment timeline would look like for either recruit, and what the response would be from the other if one committed.

However, it was clear when Bowen said upon commitment that Fran told him that he was his guy, that there wasn’t going to be anybody else

This is again a misquote. The thread was called “Do we take 2 PG’s in 2022?” and the Bowen then Isaacs example was the specific one cited. As Hawk4shur aptly pointed out in the second response to the thread, none of us (at least on the free board) knew exactly what the commitment timeline would look like for either recruit, and what the response would be from the other if one committed.

However, it was clear when Bowen said upon commitment that Fran told him that he was his guy, that there wasn’t going to be anybody else

The thread title and the first 5 words of the orig post are exactly what I typed, which are "Do we take 2 PG’s in 2022 if Bowen were to commit...." So, no, it is not a misquote; it is EXACTLY word for word.

And again, I think you are incorrect when you say it was clear when Bowen said upon commitment that Fran told him that he was his guy, that there wasn’t going to be anybody else. You had no idea what Richard was thinking; maybe he thought he could still fit in Fran's system. Richard's dad sure seems to think he would. You also didn't know what Fran was thinking. So, no, it was not clear UNTIL TODAY that there would not be another PG in the 2022 class.

Agreed, but that’s probably a tough sell to Isaacs, especially given all his other offers. At 6’1-6’2 his future is at PG. If anything, you’d have to convince Bowen to slide to off-guard. Given the athletic slashers we have at wing in PMac, the Murray’s, and Perkins, I can understand why Fran might want to look at guys like Schutt, Dix, and Storr who can all shoot really well
Yeah, if it was just Bowen that's not a big deal, you can have to pgs on the floor, but Iowas pretty full on young guards now.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Yeah, if it was just Bowen that's not a big deal, you can have to pgs on the floor, but Iowas pretty full on young guards now.

Playing devil's advocate here.

When looking at our guards only, wouldn't Richard fit in nicely with this 2022-2023 roster? Would you rather have Richard Isaacs or a shooting guard that Fran is targeting (like Josh Dix)?

We currently only have 4 guards on the 2022-2023 roster and JoeT will soon be gone. And guards are what win you NCAA Tournament games.

FRESHMEN:

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen (***)

JUNIORS:

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

SENIORS:

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

IMHO, it's an absolute mistake to not consider Isaacs if he was interested in coming/visiting. Basketball is now position-less. The more players who can dribble-drive, the better. Quality guards, who can break down a defense, take you far in March.
You would probably know better than me, but it seems like something that would have been a mutual decision after Bowen committed? Based on Isaacs’ dad’s tweets, it seems like there is still a lot of mutual respect

From Iowa’s perspective, they got the guy they wanted (or top two along with Isaacs) and can now focus on other positions of need for the 2022/23 classes. From Isaacs’ position, Iowa will have three point guards and two upperclassmen when he would arrive on campus that he would have to compete with. He’d be competing with Dasonte Bowen for usage in years 2/3 in a likely situation where the loser of that battle transfers. He has too many better available options

Selling either Bowen (who seems primed to blow up this coming year) or Isaacs on the opportunity to play off guard, when the future for both is at PG, just isn’t realistic…. Just my opinion of course, and I don’t know how it played out in actuality

For what it’s worth, I believe that Bowen will be, by far, the best and most complete point guard that Iowa has had under Fran both offensively and defensively. I can’t wait to see what Fran does with his hand-picked PG

Playing devil's advocate here.

When looking at our guards only, wouldn't Richard fit in nicely with this 2022-2023 roster? Would you rather have Richard Isaacs or a shooting guard that Fran is targeting (like Josh Dix)?

We currently only have 4 guards on the 2022-2023 roster and JoeT will soon be gone. And guards are what win you NCAA Tournament games.

FRESHMEN:

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen (***)

JUNIORS:

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

SENIORS:

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)
3 upperclassmen on this list get an extra year.

Of course id like Isaac's but its not realistic to expect him to want Iowa with that many other pgs on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT